Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Does anybody know how I can get current details on cases in Tenerife? Parents in their late 70's heading there next week and am very worried, they are determined to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Anyone hear anything about schools closing? Heard from a friend who apparently has contacts in the dept of Education ( so hearsay basically!!) That they are waiting on go ahead from govt to close the schools til after Easter.
    Not sure how that would work with ppl and getting kids minded etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

blade1 wrote: »
    So you're not too worried about having it so.

Not for myself. But thinking of me being part of the problem. If I had confirmation I had the CV, I would be happy to live frugally for next while. But right now, I don’t know what to anticipate, zero hour contract, I’m sure work will dry up ASAP. Need to make hay while the sun shines. I’m in between a rock and a hard place. What are the chances someone even has it right now in Ireland? The HSE guidelines are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    How irresponsible surely she would be advised not to come back to work for 2 weeks after ? Anyway god only knows what will be going on by Easter here or In Spain, she may well be going nowhere.

She owns the business. Thing is she has no relatives here, it's no big deal for her. My Dad is 89, I'm terrified for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Do you have this weeks' lottery numbers by any chance Nostradamus?

Don't mention Nostradamus, dude. He forsaw a great plague and pestilance :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭dan786

A sixth patient has died in the UK after testing positive for coronavirus, NHS England has said.

In a statement, West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust said that the patient, a man aged in his early 80s, died last night and had underlying health conditions.

England's chief medical officer, Professor Chris Whitty, says that the man got the virus in the UK and full contact tracing has begun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

sideswipe wrote: »
    Does anybody know how I can get current details on cases in Tenerife? Parents in their late 70's heading there next week and am very worried, they are determined to go.

Looks clear

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-51811002/coronavirus-tenerife-tourists-celebrate-end-of-hotel-lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

It’s says-on HSE website that Tenerife is not an affected area ? Even though they have had cases ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Miike wrote: »
    Can you tell me what you've taken from this? I dont get the relevance of it
    It is relevant because that's how scientists can track the progress of the virus worldwide.
    "Since different genomes typically pick up different mutations, mutations can be used as a marker of transmission in which closely related genomes indicate closely related infections."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

There's a guy on the radio now with Joe Duffy.

Said he had been in Venice with the wife and child in late February. Came home, several days later got quite sick. High fever, heavy headcold symptoms, that sort of thing. Last Friday he rung the out-of-hours GP asking for a test. They came along that evening and did the test, with it being implied that the test results would be available from the following morning. He's still waiting for a reply. He and the wife are now nearly well enough to go back to work, but he doesn't want to until he gets the all-clear. He says he was in contact with hundreds of people before he became ill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Drumpot wrote: »
    Jesus, thats harrowing, is it legitimately confirmed doctor ?
    KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Even stronger action may be needed sooner: this from A&E consultant in Northern Italy via consultant in London.

https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538?s=21

The following is from a very reliable source, a doctor in an ICU who's not prone to exaggeration, either, they're used to dealing with crises. (Mods, I can PM/email you all the correspondence, if you need to verify it - this is not hearsay).

<snip> Mod - yes it is hearsay - if you cannot post a link do not claim it as fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Strazdas wrote: »
    But even scientists were divided. For every one of them saying shut down the country, there would have been another saying it was totally unnecessary.

It's very easy to be wise after the event.

Well many on earlier threads here were wise before the event. The lesson of Wuhan was clear early on to anyone who would listen.

Iran have 881 new cases ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

The virus has been circulating in the Canaries Islands for longer

Hypothesis about the spreading of SARS-CoV-2 virus in Europe
    Bavaria BavPat1 -> La Gomera -> Tenerife, Spain -> Italy
    https://markdownshare.com/view/1fa5a...0-da1b19b7adf8

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mother-in-laws flight still going ahead tomorrow. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

In reality if you ask any doctor, they will tell you they are treating it seriously but it has been blown all out of proportion. It is has become a political crisis rather than a medical crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

This is grounds for divorce

There's a guy on the radio now with Joe Duffy.

Said he had been in Venice with the wife and child in late February. Came home, several days later got quite sick. High fever, heavy headcold symptoms, that sort of thing. Last Friday he rung the out-of-hours GP asking for a test. They came along that evening and did the test, with it being implied that the test results would be available from the following morning. He's still waiting for a reply. He and the wife are now nearly well enough to go back to work, but he doesn't want to until he gets the all-clear. He says he was in contact with hundreds of people before he became ill.

I'd say Joe loved that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this is a grim report from a doctor in Italy , ICU's at breaking point, not even looking at over 65's , click in to read it properly

https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237144941626785795

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

otnomart wrote: »
    It is relevant because that's how scientists can track the progress of the virus worldwide.
    "Since different genomes typically pick up different mutations, mutations can be used as a marker of transmission in which closely related genomes indicate closely related infections."

As of yesterday, Monday, Ireland did not do any genetic sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 samples sent to the NVRL. I don't expect we will either until we've decentralised the testing of samples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Up significantly on yesterday I think which was 5 hundred something IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Anyone hear anything about schools closing? Heard from a friend who apparently has contacts in the dept of Education ( so hearsay basically!!) That they are waiting on go ahead from govt to close the schools til after Easter.
    Not sure how that would work with ppl and getting kids minded etc
    They would need to suspend non-essential work and encourage people to work from home. Many people would lose their jobs and the exchequer would not be able to cope financially. It would essentially mean that the government has acquiesced to complete civic breakdown, but currently they want to milk as much money as they come from the public before taking this decision.

When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned, only then will we realize that one cannot eat money.
    Quick question: how many tests have we done to date, RTE have been saying "over 1000" for about a week now.
    They said last week that it would be released today how many tests they've done. Update is supposed to be 5:30 but hasn't taken place at that time since the first case was announced, been 7 and 10pm at times. You're right that they have been throwing around that 1000 figure worryingly regularly.

She'/s not forced to travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

<snip>

What we may be facing soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Do you have this weeks' lottery numbers by any chance Nostradamus?

Posts like this are not helpful. People need to take this seriously and downplaying and saying its not going to be that bad is unhelpful.

I'm sure there were people like you in Italy a few weeks ago saying "sure twill be grand, we're Italy, it can't happen here".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Pistachio19

You've had enough time to put a halt to her visit. Why have you not told her she cannot stay with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

We should have been throwing up Pre-fab hospitals when Wuhan were doing it.

I wonder how the ventilator stocks are doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Post up the flight number so we can follow it live on Flight Radar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

NI up 4 to 16

Sky news

• Advertisement

Post up the flight number so we can follow it live on Flight Radar.

Or shoot it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Tell her you've got a fever.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Quick question: how many tests have we done to date, RTE have been saying "over 1000" for about a week now.

They only reveal numbers tested on a weekly basis whilst confirmed is daily. Been like that since the start now

You've had enough time to put a halt to her visit. Why have you not told her she cannot stay with you?

I’ve already said I think she is very selfish coming but it’s a fair point why has nobody said no sorry we can’t take that risk or the two weeks off work if self isolating stay where she is ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

By Broomstick or plane?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    NI up 4 to 16

Source ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Cheltenham... Racehorse festivals wouldn't stop for bubonic plague.

Back with foot in mouth in 2001 all sports events were cancelled. Yet Ruby and Ted Walsh were allowed go to Aintree for the Grand National. It's one sporting/business sector every Irish government can't ar*e kiss enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Tell her you've got a fever.

and a cleaver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Strazdas wrote: »
    Nobody is saying "we'll be grand". By all means plan for a worst case scenario, but that doesn't mean you have the implement a worst case scenario strategy as your very first port of call.

Given that our case numbers are low, we still have enough time to weigh up our options ; the Govt could switch to a worse case scenario rapidly if they need to.

Case numbers are low today. We're lagging the spread of this by about 2 weeks. So if we were 100% happy that numbers will continue to remain low over the next 2 weeks then yes no need to do anything too drastic. But experience in every country affected to date shows that this thing takes off after an initial slow start. We need to be planning for the situation as it will be in 2, 3, 4 weeks time, not today.

I wonder would the UK allow us to use the NHS up North if we had capacity issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

4 new cases in NI. Total of 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mean incubation period is 5.1 days.
    An analysis of publicly available data on infections from the new coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, that causes the respiratory illness COVID-19 yielded an estimate of 5.1 days for the median disease incubation period, according to a new study led by researchers at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. This median time from exposure to onset of symptoms suggests that the 14-day quarantine period used by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for individuals with likely exposure to the coronavirus is reasonable.

The analysis suggests that about 97.5 percent of people who develop symptoms of SARS-CoV-2 infection will do so within 11.5 days of exposure. The researchers estimated that for every 10,000 individuals quarantined for 14 days, only about 101 would develop symptoms after being released from quarantine.

The findings will be published online March 9 in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine.
    Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wonder would the UK allow us to use the NHS up North if we had capacity issues

They have their own capacity issues.

Source ??

Sorry, sky news.

You'll have to get creative cherryghost.

Italian mother in laws are not exactly known for being hands off either. She'll probably plant a big kiss on your lips the moment she sees you in the airport.

Can you not tell her you've been ordered to isolate by your local doctor and no visitors are allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Updating by the hour now, they've got an impressive grip on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

gabeeg wrote: »
    4 new cases in NI. Total of 16.

If our ratio is similar to recent increases there it would mean approx 8 for us today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Sigma101

otnomart wrote: »
    Italy publishes: number of tests; positives; hospitalised; in intensive care; age profile of victims; comorbidities of victims https://www.iss.it/coronavirus/-/asset_publisher/1SRKHcCJJQ7E/content/id/5292020? and http://opendatadpc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/dae18c330e8e4093

Remarkable stats from Italy there. Median age of those infected is 65. Only 4 deaths under 59 years of age. Fatalities at 4.3% and average age of fatalities over 80!

They could use Stormont as an isolation unit in NI. Its huge and empty most of the time, including now.

I've just been notified to work from home indefinitely, starting tomorrow. Cork based multi but most of my team work in USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Sigma101 wrote: »
    Remarkable stats from Italy there. Median age of those infected is 65. Only 4 deaths under 59 years of age. Fatalities at 4.3% and average age of fatalities over 80!

It is also worth nothing that, as their health service is currently in a state of collapse, that they are prioritizing younger patients.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement