Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Another couple of weeks paid leave for the teachers - they'll be delighted no doubt.

Hardly the time for public service bashing. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Cupatae wrote: »
    Ive a question... at what point does one go to get tested for coronavirus? Ive had a cough since before the outbreak, but for all i know i could be killing the nation here, ive no other symptoms.. do you get checked? do you wait for it to get worse?? do you need more than one symptom???

Theres a big hype about it but not much on what to do if you suspect you have it.

If you're worried you should contact HSELive on 1850 24 1850 for a telephone screening to determine your risk. They will advise further as required. Get well soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

According to the Irish Times Hospital trolley numbers have fallen steeply.

The latest daily update on the number of people awaiting hospital beds put the number at 167 on Tuesday, a fall of two thirds or 67 per cent since the same day last week.

The reason seems to be a reluctance GPs not to refer patients to A&E / consultation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

They'll be able to go on another foreign holiday. Italy is lovely in Spring :eek:. They will be able to double up on their private grinds at least.

Webcams in Rome show people moving around the tourist attractions. Maybe a third as many as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Italy suspends mortgages and household bills .. god love them I do t think we can even comprehend fully what’s going on over there

Household bills too? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

gozunda wrote: »

The latest daily update on the number of people awaiting hospital beds put the number at 167 on Tuesday, a fall of two thirds or 67 per cent since the same day last week.

The reason seems to be a reluctance GPs not to refer patients to A&E / consultation

Apparently they are leaving themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I posted that Kermit.de.frog was sensationalist and jumping up and down with the figures coming from Italy etc on Friday.

I have to say over the last few days Kermit has toned down and been a great source of information. Credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

gazzer wrote: »
    So roughly a 17% increase over each of the last 2 days.

This actually is quite encouraging as the pattern in China, Italy and Iran has been a doubling of cases every 3 days there or thereabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Also chucking out anyone who doesn't absolutely have to be there. Hopefully this is a change that will stay regardless of the outcome of the virus. Too many people in a&e don't need to be there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Hospitals are also actively trying to clear ED's and wards too in anticipation of a surge in demand.

People are also avoiding ED's and are only entering them as a very last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

is it true about the schools? or is it just boards gossip?

Genuine query, id imagine that will play havoc with people working. Obviously public safety comes first but its a big jump and massive statement from government if true, to go from resistance to cancelling St Paddys day parade to shutting every school for 4 weeks is a big shift in stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Household bills too? :eek:

According to the Irish Times yes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There's also some chatter that the Courts Service will cease all ordinary sittings from next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The Irish Times is too polite to say that plenty of hypochondriacs and other chancers clog up hospitals normally and their F-ing off now that hospitals have a higher perceived risk of infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Blanco100 wrote: »

Genuine query, id imagine that will play havoc with people working. Obviously public safety comes first but its a big jump and massive statement from government if true, to go from resistance to cancelling St Paddys day parade to shutting every school for 4 weeks is a big shift in stance.

Rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Ive a question... at what point does one go to get tested for coronavirus? Ive had a cough since before the outbreak, but for all i know i could be killing the nation here, ive no other symptoms.. do you get checked? do you wait for it to get worse?? do you need more than one symptom???

Theres a big hype about it but not much on what to do if you suspect you have it.

Is temperature elevated? This seems to be most consistent symptom

Will be interesting to see how Russia handles this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Blanco100 wrote: »

Well I'd say it's more than gossip, several European countries with less cases than Ireland today closed all places of education . I'm in ucd and we were told the college would most likely close soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Fair play to them.

The potential financial issues, as a self-employed person, has me more panicked than the health issues!

The 300 a week extended to self employed is a help
    But if I get sick,it would cost me 150 a day for a replacement
    Self isolation isnt a big issue on its own as I work at home

Biggest issue for self employment is in a severe recession customers unable to pay
    Government and banks need to be working on supports
    Theres already talk of releasing them from their capital constraints so they can lend more,because we are entering territory for which that money is for

A lot of businesses may already owe a lot though
    More burden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    According to the Irish Times yes

Hadn't seen that, quality move - snip as many reasons as they can that folks would need to leave the house for.

Without an autocratic govt in charge like China etc. this is the type of thing needed for a shutdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Miike wrote: »
    If you're worried you should contact HSELive on 1850 24 1850 for a telephone screening to determine your risk. They will advise further as required. Get well soon :)

im less worried about myself now and more worried about spreading it to someone it could do real damage to, im 99% certain its just a cough but if there was a way to completely rule it out ill do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

dougm1970 wrote: »
    ok... listening to newstalk and the presenter 'ciara'...if my view is wrong on following i'm sure i'll be corrected here.

when i turned the radio on a mother with two kids was speaking, she had a dry cough and you could clearly hear it during interview...i didnt get start of interview but the jist of it that i got was she felt fine apart from she had this dry cough.....ciara replied that she (ciara) was no health professional but the caller likely had a cold and not to worry.

then an hour later an old lady aged 71 rang in, she said she had other health issues but also now had flu like symptoms...she was asking if the virus could be passed on clothes and bags, ciara said it could but a short virus life on those items...ciara seemed rushed speaking with her and told her to mind herself.

now....my questions to you good posters...

1. if the younger mother had a dry cough, is this not one of the symptoms of the virus ?...i read somewhere you could only get tested in this country if you meet certain criteria and symptoms werent enough, you had to have been in contact with someone from an infected country or someone with the virus...have i got that right ?....its making me wonder how the 'community' based positive cases got tested, if they didnt meet the criteria.

2. is the correct advice to someone with say a dry cough that its likely just a cold...is there a risk factor that it could be the virus and the, albeit healthy young mother, is a carrier in her community ?....i know huge numbers with coughs across the country getting tested seems unworkable.

i suppose my questions come back to how the community based cases got tested and whats right advice to someone with symptoms.

I don’t think she should be telling people what they might or not might have on air. The HSE has a specific criteria outlining when you should contact your GP. I like Ciara but I think it’s irresponsible not to direct people to the HSE website it they have concerns as they should follow advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Especially as they don't have experience in isolating people or controlling the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd imagine one of the biggest problems the health service will face is an influx of panic-merchants with dry coughs clogging up A&E.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

alroley wrote: »
    Rumours.

It's more than rumours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Yes I’m interested in this too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

It is an interesting situation. Given the amount of money poured into the HSE, I've always had a vague worry that the constant crises are being generated (possibly inadvertently/sub conciously) by the staff. It is an ongoing issue with publicly funded services. The civil service traditionally had a "use it or lose it" policy that discouraged effeciencies as it just reduced your budget for next year. You can see that if a crisis is met by allocating more resources, people might make small choices over a period that lead to a visible crisis to attract more funding. Now that those same people can see the impending ****storm coming down the tracks, we are suddenly able to push people through the system more quickly. Will definitely be worth looking at after the corona epidemic has moved on.

Heres the stats from Italy another poster put up a while ago, but in a chart format. Stats up to 9 March. Fatality rates and associated age groups in the bottom left.

https://www.iss.it/documents/20126/0/Infografica_09marzo.pdf/1f62ad0a-e156-cf27-309d-26adcb1b52b4?t=1583782049035

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I don’t think she should be telling people what they might or not might have on air. The HSE has a specific criteria outlining when you should contact your GP. I like Ciara but I think it’s irresponsible not to direct people to the HSE website it they have concerns as they should follow advice.

The website has terrible advice on affected countries
    Places where there is spread of coronavirus

China
    Hong Kong
    Singapore
    South Korea
    Iran
    Japan
    Italy

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/advice-for-people-returning-from-affected-areas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

YFlyer wrote: »
    How many test have they carried out?

56?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'd imagine one of the biggest problems the health service will face is an influx of panic-merchants with dry coughs clogging up A&E.

It’s not ideal but what’s the alternative. Communication needs to be relaid. Retail workers, shop workers, all these type of jobs have pretty strict absentee criteria. People need to be sure. Ultimately, you have to look after yourself. So, people need to have confirmation they have the CV, to avail of income support.

Our whole society completely devalues the jobs that are the most vulnerable and essential for everyday life. The lad at the till in centra can’t work from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I have back pain and usually get Panadol extra in my local pharmacy.

The pharmacist insisted on solpadeine. I didn't ask. Should have.

Are they conserving stocks of paracetamol?

Solpadeine has paracetamol. Maybe they just thought it was better for your problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I don't think your advice is correct. People who suspect that they have symptoms should contact their GP by phone as a first move. Your GP will advise if you should then contact HSE.

That's my understanding of the advice being given. The GP network has the first screen task and will assess from a list of pre-determined questions that they have been circulated with.

Full official HSE advice is here - https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,203 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I'm really surprised at Strazdas. He/she is a poster I've admired for years for being calm, sensible.

However he/she doesn't seem to be grasping the incubation phase and time lag with this virus at all.

Also the stance that parades should go ahead. Bringing large congregations into a small area outdoors who will then cram into pubs, restaurants, chippers etc after could only increase the chances of spreading infection.

My point is that the response should be measured in correlation to risk. I've no issue at all with the parades being cancelled if that is what the HSE decide, ditto if schools are closed soon.

The Govt here cannot just move straight to nationwide lockdown today without even being able to quantify the risk to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The Irish Times is too polite to say that plenty of hypochondriacs and other chancers clog up hospitals normally and their F-ing off now that hospitals have a higher perceived risk of infection.
    because now they can be hypochondriacs at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Same here. Near the end of a course of anti biotics, but still have it.

:confused:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Haven't spent much time here on online in general today or yesterday so apologies if already discussed.

Does anyone know how many Tests overall have been carried out in Ireland ? We have 24 Positives out of how many ?

How likely is it that we will have school closures soon ?
    Our Kids' schools are closed this Friday and next Monday anyway.

I am upset for Italy - such a lovely country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Can you tell me what you've taken from this? I dont get the relevance of it

It can show if you've had cryptic community spread. If you see that there's a genetic link between cases, then you know it's being passed around.

There are now lots of these clusters of community spread showing up, where a particular mutation is detected in multiple individuals from the same place: e.g. Washington State, Queensland Aus, NSW (Aus), Netherlands etc. That was one of the first signs that the virus had been in Washington State for weeks (also the first cases detected coincided with the first deaths, and a heuristic says that each death in a situation where no control measures have been applied represents ~1k cases).

You can also see how cases are being spread around the world - e.g. the January cluster in Bavaria is now seen to be a major source of cases in Italy, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and also further afield: the UK, S. America and a recent case in Taiwan.

If you have enough sequences to work on you can even begin to get a crude estimate of the size of the epidemic that you can then compare with estimates from other data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

They could use Stormont as an isolation unit in NI. Its huge and empty most of the time, including now.

Outdated joke...but nice try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So due to go on family holiday in a couple of months a good chunk paid already where we are going isn’t restricted but we have a child with a serious compromised immune system and our GP and his specialist have advised against travel so looking like we will have to cancel holiday , rang insurance company and they said we aren’t covered as it’s not a new sudden illness that is stopping us .. even though we have letter from hospital and GP .. its money we can’t afford to lose but it’s looking like we have no choice.
    Seriously Pissed off as I taught a medical letter would have been enough to claim insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Full info on what to do if you think you have symptoms is here :

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

Please look and follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

So all the confirmations around the country are about to start.

Have the church decided on the prudent move to postpone all confirmations that are upcoming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

gabeeg wrote: »

yes its already obsolete when it comes to high risk areas.

They also advise that when you return from one of those areas you don't need to isolate unless you show symptoms, which is negligent advice at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

harr wrote: »
    So due to go on family holiday in a couple of months a good chunk paid already where we are going isn’t restricted but we have a child with a serious compromised immune system and our GP and his specialist have advised against travel so looking like we will have to cancel holiday , rang insurance company and they said we aren’t covered as it’s not a new sudden illness that is stopping us .. even though we have letter from hospital and GP .. its money we can’t afford to lose but it’s looking like we have no choice.
    Seriously Pissed off as I taught a medical letter would have been enough to claim insurance.

Surely it's a new risk though? I.e covid-19 didn't exist before 3 ish months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Strazdas wrote: »
    My point is that the response should be measured in correlation to risk. I've no issue at all with the parades being cancelled if that is what the HSE decide, ditto if schools are closed soon.

The Govt here cannot just move straight to nationwide lockdown today without even being able to quantify the risk to the country.

Ah, you won't get anywhere here with a measured response like that - the lads hitting F5 know better than the UKs Deputy Chief Medical Officer for example, when it comes to risk assessment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51812326

Hysteria, overreaction and soundbites are the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Another couple of weeks paid leave for the teachers - they'll be delighted no doubt.

In trusted boards fashion, never miss an opportunity for a bit of teacher bashing. I actually thought most of your other posts were quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Full info on what to do if you think you have symptoms is here :

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

Please look and follow.

There advice doesn’t make sense. They are basing it off having been in the affected countries. But the disease has been in Ireland for maybe 2 or 3 weeks at this rate. We need locations in the country, the more specific the better. I was on a dart on Friday and a gang of Italian students got out of the next carriage. That’s just one isolated example. Not saying any of them had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

You've had enough time to put a halt to her visit. Why have you not told her she cannot stay with you?

Do you have a mother-in-law Pistachio?
    In particular an Italian one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

flynnlives wrote: »
    So all the confirmations around the country are about to start.

Have the church decided on the prudent move to postpone all confirmations that are upcoming?

Some already done - our friends daughter's was last week.

Good question though. And all the Communions to follow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement