Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

If the schools close , it means they will have to close creches for the same reason .. alot of people are going to go out of business. If this takes hold we are really looking at a recession in a matter of months. The knock on effects on everyday life will be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Full info on what to do if you think you have symptoms is here :

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

Please look and follow.

I'm just back from Madrid, I have a fever and I'm developing a cough.

That website has no info that pertains to me. What do I do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

56 in the UK, I can see Ireland having 2-4 again which would be nice and positive and more looking like its very well contained

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Strazdas wrote: »
    My point is that the response should be measured in correlation to risk. I've no issue at all with the parades being cancelled if that is what the HSE decide, ditto if schools are closed soon.

The Govt here cannot just move straight to nationwide lockdown today without even being able to quantify the risk to the country.

Just look at what is happening in the other countries who were infected before we were !!!

giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

flynnlives wrote: »
    So all the confirmations around the country are about to start.

Have the church decided on the prudent move to postpone all confirmations that are upcoming?

I think its absolute madness if they go ahead with em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

reg114 wrote: »
    If the schools close , it means they will have to close creches for the same reason .. alot of people are going to go out of business. If this takes hold we are really looking at a recession in a matter of months. The knock on effects on everyday life will be huge.

Contain it and things will adjust to normal. We were at the end of the business cycle anyway. A recession was inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

bilston wrote: »
    Outdated joke...but nice try

Gatherings of people will be banned. Stormont MLAs only ever need the slightest excuse to skive off. It will be empty. They are already preparing for it.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/coronavirus-stormont-mlas-could-conduct-their-work-at-home-via-video-link-if-crisis-grows-39026845.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Ah, you won't get anywhere here with a measured response like that - the lads hitting F5 know better than the UKs Deputy Chief Medical Officer for example, when it comes to risk assessment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51812326

Hysteria, overreaction and soundbites are the way to go.

There are no experts on Covid-19. Do you think proper risk assessment was carried out in Italy? The UK will follow in their footsteps. I'm all for measured response but not introducing preventative measures before you half a problem is pure negligence when we have China and now Italy etc for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Cw85 wrote: »
    56 in the UK, I can see Ireland having 2-4 again which would be nice and positive and more looking like its very well contained

How does it look like its well contained? These cases are infections arising from before we took any action, i.e. Paddys day etc, which are events that hadn't happened yet anyway. Strange logic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lesnar Defender

Will China be made to pay heavy reparations for all the damage this disease (and their cover up!) has caused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

What amazes me about this whole thing is it's known a strong immune system is the best defense to any infection or virus

Yet no one is focusing on strenghtening their immune system with vitamin C or iodine or ginger, garlic etc. Foods, vitamins minerals etc.

Everyone focused on meaningless trivial crap like 'wipes' that do nothing or hand sprays that do nothing either for the immune system. Just money making rackets at the minute.

Like with coronavirus as some have said why not let the body get exposed to it immune system fight it off and it's done for.

Seems it's only killing the very elderly and as pointed out despite all the fear mongering the common flu kills umpteen more people every single year.

Remember the olden days with measles?. People knew if a child got measles then they would never get it again. It was done for.

I think the whole bulk buying of hand sanitizers is insane as they don't actually do anything.
    Like a placebo if you will.

The people who go on about strengthening your immune system are frequently the same people who constantly seem to be coming down with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/09/british-couple-contract-virus-on-flight-from-heathrow-to-vietnam

Fella in this article (and he's no spring chicken) says he and his wife tested positive for the virus and have no symptoms, and that over 80% of people have no symptoms. That can't be right surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lak

We know where we're gonna end up,stop pissing about and implement the changes/stoppages now and maybe we'll avoid some of what everywhere else has got/is getting/gonna get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

There advice doesn’t make sense. They are basing it off having been in the affected countries. But the disease has been in Ireland for maybe 2 or 3 weeks at this rate. We need locations in the country, the more specific the better. I was on a dart on Friday and a gang of Italian students got out of the next carriage. That’s just one isolated example. Not saying any of them had it.

Seriously? did you even read it. The page was updated at 8.30 am this morning and explains everything you need to know. Are you looking for someone to call you with a personal explanation?

In your case (DART scenario), if you think you have been in close contact with a confirmed case, that option is covered. Read and follow.

So we've heard of a case in Naas, Cork (Apple) and two others (anecdotally on here) who returned from skiing.

That's 4 already today. Not looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I don't think your advice is correct. People who suspect that they have symptoms should contact their GP by phone as a first move. Your GP will advise if you should then contact HSE.

That's my understanding of the advice being given. The GP network has the first screen task and will assess from a list of pre-determined questions that they have been circulated with.

Full official HSE advice is here - https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

HSELive will go through the same things with that person on the phone. This is the advice given by Public Health - Not everyone is going to have access to Internet or know how :)

On a side note; the reason I suggested HSELive telephone was the page was out of date last time I checked but it has since been "updated". I use the term updated very loosely.

Trinity is doing all lectures online only for the rest of the term

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

So Four new cases in N.Ireland today,
    that`s a big increase considering pop. size

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51821951

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Apple in Cork has a confirmed case, this could be old news now seeing how fast this thread moves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Will China be made to pay heavy reparations for all the damage this disease (and their cover up!) has caused?

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Contain it and things will adjust to normal. We were at the end of the business cycle anyway. A recession was inevitable.

Very true , we've been in a bull market since 2011 but this has the hallmarks of a sudden collapse. remember the last time was a softer landing. I think the time for containment has passed. Remember 100,000 tourists will enter ireland in the coming days from every infected country in the world, this spells curtains for our efforts to contain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

givyjoe wrote: »
    How does it look like its well contained? These cases are infections arising from before we took any action, i.e. Paddys day etc, which are events that hadn't happened yet anyway. Strange logic altogether.

2-4 a day is one of the lowest in Europe if not the lowest increase per day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Ah, you won't get anywhere here with a measured response like that - the lads hitting F5 know better than the UKs Deputy Chief Medical Officer for example, when it comes to risk assessment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51812326

Hysteria, overreaction and soundbites are the way to go.

You have to be one of the most bitter posters on boards.

From your GAA bashing thread to your favourite 3 people to be aborted thread, which ironically was aborted by boards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Another couple of weeks paid leave for the teachers - they'll be delighted no doubt.

Its nice that in the face of a pandemic, there'll still be people who cannot help with this sort of thing.

For what its worth, you'd be surprised how many teachers are actually not full time, and will not get paid for the weeks off they have. My brother is incredibly frustrated because this now means he won't get a wage for the next five weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

So we've heard of a case in Naas, Cork (Apple) and two others (anecdotally on here) who returned from skiing.

That's 4 already today. Not looking good.

We've been 'hearing' about cases in these threads for days. The infamous Drogheda 3 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    There are no experts on Covid-19.

You're quite right, the anonymous internet randomer's opinions must be treated with the same degree of respect as someone with over 30 years medical training and experience.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think its partially yes, but also her apartment rental is up tomorrow also, and landlord isnt playing nice to extend. And of course to visit her daughter/grandaughter.

Sounds like she's coming to stay for good. Lucky you.

All the hate towards teachers for the time off they get.
    I'm not a teacher but I don't begrudge them time off, if you're so jealous go and become one!!

Are they getting time off? I'd expect them to set 'homework' for the day every morning and prepare materials for the next day (including online videos etc.)

If they close next week, will it actually be 'safe' to reopen them after Easter? Things may be worse by then. We need to imagine the schools being closed until the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

gabeeg wrote: »

I'm the same. Was away 2 weeks ago and have a bad chest and had a fever over the weekend. I don't meet the criteria on the HSE website so I'm just at home trying to get over it. Kinda feel in no-mans land and trying not to be in contact with others the best I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,708 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

should this thread become its own sub-forum? , its like a clunky version of Twitter? it would be better to have threads of different aspects and have their own discussions

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

There are no experts on Covid-19. Do you think proper risk assessment was carried out in Italy? The UK will follow in their footsteps. I'm all for measured response but not introducing preventative measures before you half a problem is pure negligence when we have China and now Italy etc for reference.

The bar for certain posters is permanently guided only by outcomes that are *certain* to occur.

The fact that there is only a chance of catastrophe justifies inaction.

Tony Holohan is not clairvoyant, so we are essentially gambling with his judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I dont think its is containable tbh, It will probably be a battle to prevent severe outbreak's until a vaccine or enough people are infected that immunity starts to help.

Do all the countries that did nuclear testing and covered it up pay ?

Do all the countries that emit chemicals and pollution pay ?

Do all the the countries that drill for oil pay ?

China hardly did this on purpose, unlike any of the above.

Self Isolate first and foremost. Then wait about 11 days to see if things get worse. If not you should be fine to go about your business.

2 weeks isolation seems to be the recommended minimum as international best practise after returning from an infection hotspot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the apple case is from yesterday's numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    I'm the same. Was away 2 weeks ago and have a bad chest and had a fever over the weekend. I don't meet the criteria on the HSE website so I'm just at home trying to get over it. Kinda feel in no-mans land and trying not to be in contact with others the best I can.

Where were you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Also, is there a list of these "underlying health conditions" we hear about in relation to the poor folk who died that we should be aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

You're quite right, the anonymous internet randomer's opinions must be treated with the same degree of respect as someone with over 30 years medical training and experience.:rolleyes:

I'm not saying that but what use was that to the Italians???

Also we need to listen to epidemiologists and statisticians. Funny enough they aren't too happy with the lack of preparation. Or how about the WHO basically screaming at western countries to react for the past few weeks?

The evidence on the ground in Italy paints a harrowing picture, maybe pay attention to that and not the UK who are yet to realise the train wreck that is about to ensue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Of course not, China's actions prevented what would currently be an explosive pandemic if they hadn't acted as they did. The disease beginning there is freak chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Reparations only happen when a more powerful country decides a less powerful one should pay them. No country is powerful enough to demand reparations from China.

(Aside from whether there would be a case for them or not.)

• Advertisement

Of course not, China's actions prevented what would currently be an explosive pandemic if they hadn't acted as they did. The disease beginning there is freak chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Naggdefy wrote: »
    You have to be one of the most bitter posters on boards.

From your GAA bashing thread to your favourite 3 people to be aborted thread, which ironically was aborted by boards.

It's good my posts have resonated with you so much.

I haven't a clue about your posts TBH and no interest in finding out

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WAZZA1989

yermandan wrote: »
    what is your source for this? Can't find it anywhere and my Mam is in there with Pneumonia

I am sorry I cannot name the source and I am sorry for that but it is a very reliable source from inside the hospital

I have also been told 13 patients in Mater not 2 again I cannot name the source but I can assure you it is reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

wakka12 wrote: »

So they have closed down and banned those live animal slaughter markets for "warm meat" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Do you mean no experts in knowing how to handle outbreaks of deadly viruses? Or simply no experts in Covid 19?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Granadino wrote: »
    Also, is there a list of these "underlying health conditions" we hear about in relation to the poor folk who died that we should be aware of?

I have seen Cystic Fibrosis, Asthma, Cancer and Diabetes as high risk

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/09/british-couple-contract-virus-on-flight-from-heathrow-to-vietnam

Fella in this article (and he's no spring chicken) says he and his wife tested positive for the virus and have no symptoms, and that over 80% of people have no symptoms. That can't be right surely?
    They have no symptoms yet, WHO said asymptomatic illness is extremely uncommon and has only been recorded in a few cases most of which were children

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Where were you?

France. Was on a Ryanair flight that had an all Italian flight crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I have seen Cystic Fibrosis, Asthma, Cancer and Diabetes as high risk

..add to that Hypertension

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement