Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Webcams in Rome show people moving around the tourist attractions. Maybe a third as many as usual.

tourists obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

lawred2 wrote: »
    Do you mean no experts in knowing how to handle outbreaks of deadly viruses? Or simply no experts in Covid 19?

I mean no experts in Covid-19 , a novel virus for humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

There's also some chatter that the Courts Service will cease all ordinary sittings from next week.

I'm due for Jury Duty on the 18th :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I have seen Cystic Fibrosis, Asthma, Cancer and Diabetes as high risk

Didn’t the Chinese say hypertension too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

This thread is becoming the First Gulf War on IRC for those of you ancient enough to remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Granadino wrote: »
    Also, is there a list of these "underlying health conditions" we hear about in relation to the poor folk who died that we should be aware of?
    If I had one, I might try to bury any evidence of it. In Italy they are only providing minimal care to those with comorbid conditions or who are over 65. Ruthless way to maximise limited capacity.
    The capacity of our hospitals is already maxed out so perhaps the same might happen here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Surely it's a new risk though? I.e covid-19 didn't exist before 3 ish months ago.
    Only applies if he gets it not just at a risk of getting it or if he is instructed not to go.. country has to be on the DFA do not travel list or an illness what he got preventing him from traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    France. Was on a Ryanair flight that had an all Italian flight crew.

Jesus. Never mind the crew, France has over 1,400 known cases.
    Do you mind me asking where abouts in France?

How are you feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Originally Posted by JP Liz V1 View Post
    I have seen Cystic Fibrosis, Asthma, Cancer and Diabetes as high risk

Didn’t the Chinese say hypertension too?

Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Granadino wrote: »
    Also, is there a list of these "underlying health conditions" we hear about in relation to the poor folk who died that we should be aware of?

Typically listed as hypertension, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. Also immune-deficiencies and any respiratory complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

4 Romanians test positive after returning from Germany , U.K. and Israel.
    Around 25 new cases today have been recorded in travellers returning from countries that weren't Italy Iran china or Korea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

It's good my posts have resonated with you so much.

I haven't a clue about your posts TBH and no interest in finding out

Yeah yours are so crap, so bitter that you stand out from the crowd. It doesn't involve much research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

wakka12 wrote: »
    Of course not, China's actions prevented what would currently be an explosive pandemic if they hadn't acted as they did. The disease beginning there is freak chance

I criticized China hard for this virus, but could of been currently in a bigger sh1t storm than we are TBF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

There's also some chatter that the Courts Service will cease all ordinary sittings from next week.

But....but......who's going to give the 29-time violent repeat Offenders their suspended sentences ???

Ah... It's all the one anyhow I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why will the EU not suspend the Schengen agreement and freedom of movement?

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    They have no symptoms yet, WHO said asymptomatic illness is extremely uncommon and has only been recorded in a few cases most of which were children

also mild symtoms can develop into serious symtoms later on, the first 3 italian patients all eneded up in intesnsive care, but one of them was considered mild for the first 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,203 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

From the practical viewpoint, the Chief Medical Officer in England today said she thinks people are far more at risk at indoor events than outdoor ones : the virus doesn't survive long outdoors and finds it difficult to transmit itself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Because they don't need to?

Italy already showing they can close things down if they want. Trying to use this as a method to take shots at the EU is stupid, given individual countries can suspend their borders whenever they want.

We would have to also suspend the Common Travel Agreement with UK.

Strazdas wrote: »
    From the practical viewpoint, the Chief Medical Officer in England today said she thinks people are far more at risk at indoor events than outdoor ones : the virus doesn't survive long outdoors and finds it difficult to transmit itself.

bull****, why do you post stuff like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This seems hopelessly inadequate

EStD51tUcAMhIjf?format=jpg&name=small

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

secman wrote: »
    So they have closed down and banned those live animal slaughter markets for "warm meat" ?

They have for the time being, that`s not to say they won`t start up again if the virus subsides or a vaccine is developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WriteThings

My point is that the response should be measured in correlation to risk. I've no issue at all with the parades being cancelled if that is what the HSE decide, ditto if schools are closed soon.

The Govt here cannot just move straight to nationwide lockdown today without even being able to quantify the risk to the country.

The problem here is that the risk can only be modeled on other affected countries, many of which were in the same state Ireland was a few weeks ago, whose health systems are now bowing under the pressure of new cases and for whom there is no option other than shutdown.

The "worst" case scenario (in terms of it being a false alarm) is that the country gets locked down and delay protocols put in place, the economy takes a big hit and things get screwy for a while, and the virus never properly takes off. And in a few weeks we realise it hadn't spread much farther after all, and things go into recovery mode.

If it's not a false alarm, then we're running out of time before we get all of those effects *plus* a deadly virus running rampant through the country making critical care for people with other ailments impossible and slowing the economy even more with sickness absence. Not to mention that the likelihood of overwhelming the healthcare system becomes exponentially greater and likely to last much longer, with greater fallout in terms of knock-on effect for non-covid illnesses.

In this scenario, where risk cannot be assessed other than through modeling from other affected countries, it seems more prudent to go with the "just in case" measures insofar as possible.

I was okay with being laughed at for "stocking up" a bit at the end of January after watching this for a few weeks, and I'm okay with being laughed at for recommending an abundance of caution when it's all over. I sincerely hope that will be the case. But if it's not, it's already too late for containment and all efforts should be made to reduce the number of people who are sick at any given time and thereby increase the health system's ability to cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

I mean no experts in Covid-19 , a novel virus for humans.

But that's no reason to trust random doom mongers on the internet over medical experts and experts in virology and epidemiology.

If a new model car came out next week, nobody's an expert in how to repair it as it's entirely new but I'd still trust a trained mechanic over someone who's never looked under a bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm not saying that but what use was that to the Italians???

Also we need to listen to epidemiologists and statisticians. Funny enough they aren't too happy with the lack of preparation. Or how about the WHO basically screaming at western countries to react for the past few weeks?

The evidence on the ground in Italy paints a harrowing picture, maybe pay attention to that and not the UK who are yet to realise the train wreck that is about to ensue.

Today's figures from the UK don't appear to be showing any exponential growth in numbers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51822618

No doubt you are able to hear that train wreck approaching though anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    also mild symtoms can develop into serious symtoms later on, the first 3 italian patients all eneded up in intesnsive care, but one of them was considered mild for the first 2 weeks

Something to keep in mind for those dismissing “the hypochondriacs”

And then they go to the bar, the restaurant, the toilets and they crowd around the stairwells. Odd statement in that light.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

WAZZA1989 wrote: »
    I am sorry I cannot name the source and I am sorry for that but it is a very reliable source from inside the hospital

I have also been told 13 patients in Mater not 2 again I cannot name the source but I can assure you it is reliable

If you have no sources stop scaremongering wait for the official numbers you are panicking people on hearsay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Mango Joe wrote: »
    But....but......who's going to give the 29-time violent repeat Offenders their suspended sentences ???

Ah... It's all the one anyhow I suppose.

It's much of a muchness if solicitors can excuse their client's absence for trial as Covid self isolation without any supporting medical documentation, as occurred last week in a Kerry Court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So stick to beer gardens....I got ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wibbs wrote: »
    Banie, I've had dealings with a few arms of government and politicians down the years and I hate to say it but the majority are scarily and I do mean scarily ignorant/stupid/uninformed beyond glad handing and the parish pump bollocks that gets them back in to power(that's at the "higher end", local counsellors are more like a room full of special needs people and jobsworths). On that basis we're fooked essentially.

That is so accurate it is almost funny... almost :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Severe disruption of supply chains might make things worse..

There's some hard choices to be made, hopefully made with cool heads and every bit of up to date information available at the time.

I wouldn't like to be the one making the calls on this virus, the powers that be are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

So we've heard of a case in Naas, Cork (Apple) and two others (anecdotally on here) who returned from skiing.

That's 4 already today. Not looking good.

In fairness there has been a case in Naas in the thread for the last 3 days (until it confirmed its conjecture)

gabeeg wrote: »
    Jesus. Never mind the crew, France has over 1,400 known cases.
    Do you mind me asking where abouts in France?

How are you feeling?

All these posts about:'....Johnny just came back from Italy/France/China ...' are quite pointless now.
    Look behind you!
    It's here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

Just look at what is happening in the other countries who were infected before we were !!!

giphy.gif

But that would still be consistent with what Strazdas point. I would assume (and certainly hope) that in conducting, and updating, the risk assessment they would be including evidence from what is happening in other countries.

My point is that the response should be measured in correlation to risk. I've no issue at all with the parades being cancelled if that is what the HSE decide, ditto if schools are closed soon.

The Govt here cannot just move straight to nationwide lockdown today without even being able to quantify the risk to the country.

I took from the UK assessment yesterday that they expect the outbreak to spread and to be major there in any event. Therefore, according to them, any restrictions introduced now will have to stay for a long time. Their rationale was that the restrictions to come will be so severe (they didn't specify) that people would not be able to tolerate them (or authority enforce them) for a prolonged period. Therefore, better to stagger them in and wait until each would be maximally effective - and can be maintained.

This was much less explicit in any of the presentations I have seen in Ireland (I have missed some), but I think they are implicit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

WAZZA1989 wrote:
    I am sorry I cannot name the source and I am sorry for that but it is a very reliable source from inside the hospital

I heard this from a nurse this morning as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I have also been told 13 patients in Mater not 2 again I cannot name the source but I can assure you it is reliable

This is incorrect. Individuals are being admitted to get tested so as to bypass ED. The majority do not have COVID19.

There's a lot of misinformation on this thread re: infection numbers (Not forgetting those 3 cases in Drogheda US2 claimed have been confirmed positive since Friday yet no appearance in national tally thus far). Unless a person's source is a member of the ID team in that hospital then they are not reliable.

The HSE numbers accurately reflect the number of confirmed cases among those who have been tested so would recommend people go by their tally rather than their own sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Some remarkable disparities in the statistics regarding the age profiles of people infected with the virus are beginning to appear.

In Italy the median age of the population is 45 years. The median age of people infected with Covid-19 is 65 years.

In Germany the median age of the population is 46, but the median age of those infected is 41 years!

Does anyone have any theories on why the virus is infecting younger people in Germany and older people in Italy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 WriteThings

This seems hopelessly inadequate

Related: South Korea have tested way more per capita than any other country, and their testing has included the general population, not just sick people, which means they will have captured mild and asymptomatic cases that might go unnoticed elsewhere. Their CFR seems to be ~1%. Which is a ray of hope, at least, if representative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sigma101 wrote: »
    Some remarkable disparities in the statistics regarding the age profiles of people infected with the virus are beginning to appear.

In Italy the median age of the population is 45 years. The median age of people infected with Covid-19 is 65 years.

In Germany the median age of the population is 46, but the median age of those infected is 41 years!

Does anyone have any theories on why the virus is infecting younger people in Germany and older people in Italy?

It could be the randomness of the person carrying the virus and who they exposed it to and the type of area etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

quokula wrote: »
    But that's no reason to trust random doom mongers on the internet over medical experts and experts in virology and epidemiology.

If a new model car came out next week, nobody's an expert in how to repair it as it's entirely new but I'd still trust a trained mechanic over someone who's never looked under a bonnet.

If you've read my posts you would know I'm not saying to listen to 'random doom mongers on the internet'

There is enough evidence from the WHO , experts in virology and epidemiology, Italy, China etc to know that we are sleepwalking into a serious problem.

That is fascinating, id love to see hear some theories why that might be

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WAZZA1989

rosiem wrote: »
    If you have no sources stop scaremongering wait for the official numbers you are panicking people on hearsay

I honestly do not want to panic anyone, and I am certainly not scaremongering,this is a scary situation!
    This is reliable information I have been given and I believe is important to share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,203 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    bull****, why do you post stuff like that?

Hold your horses, she's not calling for outdoor events to go ahead, merely talking about what science says on the subject of transmission

She also predicts a rapid spike in UK cases soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,620 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    This thread is becoming the First Gulf War on IRC for those of you ancient enough to remember.

Jaysus!
    I wasn't on IRC back then, but following it on shortwave and dodgy CNN streams.

Then having to relay all the news to my aunt in Cork as it was ongoing.

I honestly do not want to panic anyone, and I am certainly not scaremongering,this is a scary situation!
    This is reliable information I have been given and I believe is important to share

Thanks...but we'll wait for RTÉ. If we were to believe every post in here the last few weeks that claimed to have reliable info about confirmed cases Ireland would be the most infected country after china

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Just a thought but Italy has a large church going culture on a weekly basis while Germany doesn't really outside of holidays. Perhaps it's spreading more rapidly among the elderly there while in most countries older people are less likely to attend large events in small, confined spaces.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement