Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, so according to this, you might be far more at risk in a crowded pub or concert or a meeting or church than any large outdoor event.

Have you ever been to a racecourse?

Before, during and after a race people are squashed into the pub or at the ticket desk waiting to make a bet.

Same at any sporting event I have been to, pubs are packed before and after. even at HT in Old trafford you can barely fit into the sections where you get food/drink and you have to cue for minutes to get to use the toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Funkfield wrote: »
    A Canadian man has tested positive after holidaying in Switzerland .

Oh really. Has he a fever?

Why yes, he's Berning up.

"What was the best thing about contracting the Coronavirsus in Switzerland?"

"Well, the flag was a big plus"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

gabeeg wrote: »
    The hospitals are emptying out - down 58.72% on this day last year

http://137.191.241.85/ed/ED.php?EDDATE=10%2F3%2F2020

*Extremely Morgan Freeman Voice*

Turns out it was COVID-19 that sorted out the hospital crises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

Drumpot wrote: »

Before, during and after a race people are squashed into the pub or at the ticket desk waiting to make a bet.

Same at any sporting event I have been to, pubs are packed before and after. even at HT in Old trafford you can barely fit into the sections where you get food/drink and you have to cue for minutes to get to use the toilet.

I've been to Cheltenham. It isnt that bad. You move around a lot. I'd be more worried on the trains and buses to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Announcement on Westmeath school closures imminent...

https://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/2020/03/10/decision-on-school-closures-imminent/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Yes, so according to this, you might be far more at risk in a crowded pub or concert or a meeting or church than any large outdoor event.
    Or on the public transport to and from the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Turns out it was COVID-19 that sorted out the hospital crises.

So what are we saying here?
    The trolley crisis was often caused by folk who didn't really need to be sitting in A&E?;)

I haven't time to read back a lot of pages but I see the Apple plant in Cork of 6000 employees has a case.
    Will be interesting to see how the numbers in there are affected now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

fits wrote: »
    I've been to Cheltenham. It isnt that bad. You move around a lot. I'd be more worried on the trains and buses to get there.

a study in china said that someone caught it 4.5m distance in a bus, in another 30 min interval on a bus. Closed spaces aren't looking good

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Responses? Hahaha what are they doing differently?

Geography? How would that impact the spread specifically?

Culture? Il give you that one, less touchy greetings vs the Mediterraneans.

Weather? Nah we (+the UK) are in the same conditions as areas that have already had massive outbreaks.

I'm saying that by not introducing preventative measure early enough we (and the UK) will cause panic and excessive spread of the virus. This is just common sense, not hysteria.

Ignoring the other points, the response here and in the UK has been vastly different to Italy.

Their government took the "common sense" populist approach of being the first European country to ban Chinese flights before they had an outbreak. But they didn't take the evidence-based expert led steps of doing due diligence on hygiene, contact tracing etc that we've been doing here. And they had a major outbreak before they started any of that.

Very similar to Wuhan which had an out of control outbreak for many weeks before the government started taking notice.

We're doing everything right here at the moment, which is why our numbers continue to be so low. And for every "sure Italy had as few as Ireland a month ago" comment, you could easily replace Italy with other countries who had it a month ago but who have taken proper action like we have and haven't seen it explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Screenshot-20200310-152634.png

I was wondering when the ridiculous norm of grown adults being forced to share apartments was going to come home to roost.
    Yes, the market which caused this entire outbreak was shut down on January 1st, and all sale of wild animals for meat was banned a few weeks later.

Those 'wet markets' (God) are some of the most disturbing things to witness. Absolutely revolting. It is not like we didn't get warning about this before. SARS was caused in the exact same sort of environment.

Will we see sanctions and huge fines for China?

Will we see China apologising for causing the deaths of thousands of people through their disgusting practices? Ruining plans, weddings, holidays, sporting events?

Will we fck. We'll just pretend this all 'just happened'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The obvious guess would be that they want to make it as close to Easter as possible before asking schools and offices to close for two weeks, which would indicate choosing economic reasons as the main driver for doing a lock down type reaction.

If there is potential for a lock down to occur, it should already be done and be done for a month. At this stage, just let it run its course.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    Just the picture is horrible, I’ve heard a nurse say that once they put them on their belly there is nothing more to be done.

I thought that turning the patient regularly was to prevent bed sores, among other things. They may have run out of anti-decubitus mattresses, seeing as they're running out of everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Just the picture is horrible, I’ve heard a nurse say that once they put them on their belly there is nothing more to be done.

Actually I wish pictures like this one would circulate more, just to remind people what we are talking about

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...HkcDAJbdgUrvAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,323 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Drumpot wrote: »

Loads of racecourses and football matches. But they still don't seem like obvious breeding ground for viruses. I'd be more worried about a crowded bus or train or A & E.

Pubs beside stadiums are a different matter, that's an indoor venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Government should be commandeering hotels if need be to hold those infected, if no room in hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

I was on the bus yesterday evening commuting home, and I sat next to this teenage lad, who seemed to be coughing a lot, but as it was a full bus I just positioned myself away from him. Then he coughs into his hand and USED HIS HAND TO WIPE THE WINDOW. No elbow coughing and he was acting a little ****e and when I looked over at him at one point I saw he was texting someone how he was on the way to the gym for arms and chest day. I may be nosy but you'd have thought that someone under 20 knows to not be coughing into their hands and smearing said hands on the window of the bus :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The percolations are imminent

61338ac9-c0ce-4ca7-9412-f4a7b39cb5ca.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2020-press-releases/covid-19-statement-10mar20.html

someone just sent me this, no school closures....................yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

New Home wrote: »
    I thought that turning the patient regularly was to prevent bed sores, among other things. They may have run out of anti-decubitus mattresses, seeing as they're running out of everything else.
    I have no medical knowledge, I go by what I heard in one of the audios doing the rounds from nurses in those hospitals that were hit the worst.

But I don’t think, with all that equipment, tubes....they would care to turn them around to avoid bed sores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Regards social isolation and outdoors events, is it not sneezes and coughs that cause some of the spread?

Also the sharing of common points of contact such as handrails, toilet doors, door handles, then the public transport to and from the events, purchase of refreshments, exchange of money and so on and so forth.

There seems to be multiple possible points of shared infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭landofthetree

NIMAN wrote: »
    So what are we saying here?
    The trolley crisis was often caused by folk who didn't really need to be sitting in A&E?;)

I haven't time to read back a lot of pages but I see the Apple plant in Cork of 6000 employees has a case.
    Will be interesting to see how the numbers in there are affected now.

A and E tends to be blocked up with physical injuries.

At weekends lots of sports injuries . Plus car crashes(typically young males 18-30).

Would calling off all sports event help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Pistachio19

josip wrote: »
    Do you have a mother-in-law Pistachio?
    In particular an Italian one?

Blessed with 2 but one deceased now and neither Italian. I can only imagine that it would be difficult to stop her, but seriously, needs must. From the posters further update it looks like she's planning to move in permanently given she'll have no apartment to go back to. :eek: , but don't tell that poster!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

We`ll see. Up to the weekend there were no plans to cancel the parades either but look how quickly that changed after the government ministers had their health briefing. Anything is possible in the current situation.
    I really like to believe that it was the health briefing, but tend to think it was prompted by groundswell of cancellations across the country, and growing public clamour for a ban, briefing provide cover. Their whole track record has poll and focus group driven, not proactive decision making, but maybe a leopard can change it's spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The petri dish known as Cheltenham.

I wonder if any of them have a cough (or older relatives) ?

...............ESwF9mTXsAEBgf8?format=jpg&name=900x900

5e61c23c0a592.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C793

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If this happens it'll grind the country to a halt , How many parents will need to take time off work ,

If they close school to early and in 4 weeks when they are to go back the virus has got worse and they stay off longer we could end up putting ourselves back into another recession ,

Sounds like booms days logic but its could happen quite easy if there is 6 to 8 weeks of no school and parents needing to look after there kids,

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Could be a global paracetamol shortage coming , paracetamol is important to treat a high temperature one of the main symptoms of Covid 19.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/5168613/coronavirus-sparks-fears-of-global-paracetamol-shortage-as-worlds-biggest-supplier-india-limits-drug-exports/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

Very cursory google search shows that the prone or face down position can help mechanical ventilation for some patients. Do you think posting that kind of stuff helps in this situation for people viewing that article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Only 4800 tests been done in USA .. and over 600 have been positive , it is both one of the lowest rates of testing per capita in the world and highest rate of positive/negative ratio of tests done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Loads of racecourses and football matches. But they still don't seem like obvious breeding ground for viruses. I'd be more worried about a crowded bus or train or A & E.

Pubs beside stadiums are a different matter, that's an indoor venue.

That still doesnt explain the logic behind the "ah sporting events are grand" approach. You cancel the event people dont drink in pubs to watch it. Does this science stuff actually just look at the event (the actual ground or stadium) or does it factor in all the people who goto pubs to watch these things ?

My dad used to take the week off work and spend the week in the pub with his friends watching it. Wasnt a big drinker to be fair, but he loved the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

I dont know if its been mentioned, and tbh im not arsed checking back about 50 pages, The 3rd floor in the Clayton hotel Clonshaugh has been sealed off. Staff were texted this morning.

Staff were told to come in as normal. My sister said its an air hostess that possibly has it.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Very cursory google search shows that the prone or face down position can help mechanical ventilation for some patients. Do you think posting that kind of stuff helps in this situation for people viewing that article?

Agree, that was actually very upsetting to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sausage_blaa

If schools do go ahead and close it should be made clear that's kids are kept indoors, no point closing them if kids are left roam free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I have no medical knowledge, I go by what I heard in one of the audios doing the rounds from nurses in those hospitals that were hit the worst.

But I don’t think, with all that equipment, tubes....they would care to turn them around to avoid bed sores.

Prone ventilation is used as an adjunct to treat ARDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

Do we get daily updates on new numbers of infected at 7pm as a matter of course? Or is that just how it's been working out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/shifting-guidelines-on-coronavirus-treatment-in-us-could-be-catastrophic

Seems there is no clarity on treatment and precautions for medical staff in the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

If schools do go ahead and close it should be made clear that's kids are kept indoors, no point closing them if kids are left roam free

Can they go outside at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Government should be commandeering hotels if need be to hold those infected, if no room in hospitals.

They can`t. The hotels are already full of homeless people allegedly. Where are all the poor mothers and their angels supposed to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

If this happens it'll grind the country to a halt , How many parents will need to take time off work ,

If they close school to early and in 4 weeks when they are to go back the virus has got worse and they stay off longer we could end up putting ourselves back into another recession ,

Sounds like booms days logic but its could happen quite easy if there is 6 to 8 weeks of no school and parents needing to look after there kids,

Yep. Whenever schools close there is a good chance they won't open again until September. Certainly not before late-May/June, in my opinion (even if the initial announcement is for 2 - 3 weeks).

As you say, there will be tremendous knock-on pressure. Not least for health-care workers with kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Will we see sanctions and huge fines for China?

Will we see China apologising for causing the deaths of thousands of people through their disgusting practices? Ruining plans, weddings, holidays, sporting events?

Will we fck. We'll just pretend this all 'just happened'.

The West would be able to have a bit more of a moral high ground if they had actually made any efforts to stamp out the disease. In this regard the West were far more avarice than China, with 'sensible' people calling for minimal action as any 'panic' would have negative financial implications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Could be a global paracetamol shortage coming , paracetamol is important to treat a high temperature one of the main symptoms of Covid 19.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/5168613/coronavirus-sparks-fears-of-global-paracetamol-shortage-as-worlds-biggest-supplier-india-limits-drug-exports/amp/

Is paracetamol actually recommended for fever in Covid-19?
    In adults, fever is an unpleasant symptom, but is it not also a response that has evolved to deal with an infection? Does reducing temperature therefore do more harm than good in adults? That's the argument I've heard from quite a few health professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

What’s happening in Italy with funerals ? Curious as here they are advising quick burial or cremation with actual funeral service at a later date .

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

Again, I’ve heard it from a nurse work8ng the ICU, and I haven’t claimed medical knowledge, if you have it and know it isn’t like that, good, really glad about it.
    I know there are some posters here who have medical knowledge, maybe they can clear that up.
    But I trust a health care worker whose job is that precisely more than a random poster in internet, which I know, the same could be said for me.

Even if you had heard it, like you said you have no medical knowledge and why would you even post a statement like that? You know that is only going to have one effect on people so its completely unecessary and unhelpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

People who can work remotely with kids should be allowed do so.

People who have not got that capability should be able to bring their kids as close to them as possible when at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

2 new cases going to be announced in Navan this evening.
    Direct exposure from travel to Italy for skiiing holiday.
    The 2 patients went to Italy anyway even when they knew it was a danger zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

mlem123 wrote: »
    I was on the bus yesterday evening commuting home, and I sat next to this teenage lad, who seemed to be coughing a lot, but as it was a full bus I just positioned myself away from him. Then he coughs into his hand and USED HIS HAND TO WIPE THE WINDOW. No elbow coughing and he was acting a little ****e and when I looked over at him at one point I saw he was texting someone how he was on the way to the gym for arms and chest day. I may be nosy but you'd have thought that someone under 20 knows to not be coughing into their hands and smearing said hands on the window of the bus :(
    The government needs to make this type of carelessness illegal. If someone was to do that in a workplace there would be done for neglect no doubt.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement