Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    What’s happening in Italy with funerals/

Banned, AFAIK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

ongarite wrote: »
    2 new cases going to be announced in Navan this evening.
    Direct exposure from travel to Italy for skiiing holiday.
    The 2 patients went to Italy anyway even when they knew it was a danger zone.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Again, I was out of line.
    Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

darjeeling wrote: »
    Is paracetamol actually recommended for fever in Covid-19?
    In adults, fever is an unpleasant symptom, but is it not also a response that has evolved to deal with an infection? Does reducing temperature therefore do more harm than good in adults? That's the argument I've heard from quite a few health professionals.

Temp is a sign of infection but if a temp is to high and not brought down it can damage organs paracetamol is so important if suffering a high temp ! Especially in babies and children. It is going short I have just heard from a friend who works in pharmacy. I would urge parents to have calpol for kids and tablets for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

When did they go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Morons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    Amd the reason I gave them credit was because one of the nurses gave info about government measures that were going to take effect hours before the official announcement, the same with one of the dead cases.

Then you shouldnt be posting it , just leave it now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    People who can work remotely with kids should be allowed do so.

People who have not got that capability should be able to bring their kids as close to them as possible when at work.

No they shouldn't. Do you mean people should bring their kids to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Government should be commandeering hotels if need be to hold those infected, if no room in hospitals.

With what bloody staff and equipment ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

When did they go?
    Less than 2 weeks ago.

When did they go?

Heard about an hour ago it was a bar man in Navan

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

WAZZA1989 wrote: »
    I am sorry I cannot name the source and I am sorry for that but it is a very reliable source from inside the hospital

I have also been told 13 patients in Mater not 2 again I cannot name the source but I can assure you it is reliable
    Can everyone try and ignore this sort of stuff

We cannot verify anything like this until someone with proper authority makes an announcement or reliable (and not social!) media start relaying it as verified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

pjohnson wrote: »
    Morons

A bit harsh? Assuming they traveled two weeks ago, then the official statements at the time said it was ok to travel, but to be aware of the ongoing situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Naggdefy wrote:
    They are. Tested this morning. I'm being truthful and don't want to be alarming. Male mid 40s a job that entails traveling within Ireland a lot. If we get 2 or 3 more days of small increase I'd be getting more optimistic. I just don't think we can be too sure yet. I feel we still have a lot of cases in the incubation stage.
    This stuff annoys the sh*te out of me.

So this person was only tested this morning, had a positive result by lunchtime and you're broadcasting it on boards? Along with details that may identify him.

If we were taking our number of cases from reports from Boards we'd be up on about 500. But there isn't. Because people lie, they fabricate. They hear a half truth and run with it, causing panic.

I work in a hospital and im appalled that so called "hospital workers" are spreading rumours and details of cases to their family and friends.

If you're a healthcare worker, then the care and confidentiality of the patient comes first, always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

WAZZA1989 wrote: »
    I am sorry I cannot name the source and I am sorry for that but it is a very reliable source from inside the hospital

I have also been told 13 patients in Mater not 2 again I cannot name the source but I can assure you it is reliable

No probs, she just confirmed with me, a Dr told her an hour ago. Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So practically all our cases are directly linked with Italy but supposedly not stopping flights sooner has made no difference to the spread? Hmmm.... maybe...

ekrpubgn77x11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Very cursory google search shows that the prone or face down position can help mechanical ventilation for some patients. Do you think posting that kind of stuff helps in this situation for people viewing that article?

Medics say by treating patients lying on their fronts it is easier to regulate the level of oxygen in their bodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

darjeeling wrote: »
    Is paracetamol actually recommended for fever in Covid-19?
    In adults, fever is an unpleasant symptom, but is it not also a response that has evolved to deal with an infection? Does reducing temperature therefore do more harm than good in adults? That's the argument I've heard from quite a few health professionals.

Up to 38.9c (102f) it's best not to inhabit the fever in a normally healthy adult but over that it becomes dangerous and need reducing. But a severe headache may necessitate medication at the lower temperature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Because they don't need to?

Italy already showing they can close things down if they want. Trying to use this as a method to take shots at the EU is stupid, given individual countries can suspend their borders whenever they want.

I accept your point.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Amd the reason I gave them credit was because one of the nurses gave info about government measures that were going to take effect hours before the official announcement, the same with one of the dead cases.

What dead cases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Heard about an hour ago it was a bar man in Navan

Yes, a bar man and other works in fast food industry.
    Both play on local GAA teams

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Drumpot wrote: »
    So practically all our cases are directly linked with Italy but supposedly not stopping flights sooner has made no difference to the spread? Hmmm.... maybe...

ekrpubgn77x11.jpg

You don’t think the reason it’s all being linked to Italy is because they are only testing people who have links to Italy? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I mean no experts in Covid-19 , a novel virus for humans.

well that's nonsense

these lads seem to have a grasp on it -> https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51804294

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You could always edit/delete it yourself.

Somehow I doubt they will. Sitting behind a screen scaring others is a 'buzz' for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Stheno wrote: »
    What dead cases?
    Sorry for any confusion, it wasn’t in this country.
    It was some audios from some workers in a hospital in Vitoria, txagorritxu.
    But if the info in the medical procedure was false, it’s obvious the whole audio was so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

from two weeks ago:
    Originally Posted by freshpopcorn View Post
    We've to look at the positives they might cancel Teh Late Late Show!
    its meant to be taking place in limerick in a few weeks, that one might be called off at least...

This week's The Late Late Show St Patrick's special due to be broadcast from Limerick has been axed over coronavirus fears.

www.buzz.ie/entertainment/late-late-show-limerick-special-cancelled-coronavirus-fears-358987

called it

Yes, a bar man and other works in fast food industry.
    Both play on local GAA teams

Not a bit of cop on between them no thought for anyone else it would seem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Temp is a sign of infection but if a temp is to high and not brought down it can damage organs paracetamol is so important if suffering a high temp ! Especially in babies and children. It is going short I have just heard from a friend who works in pharmacy. I would urge parents to have calpol for kids and tablets for adults.

I was in lidl on my lunch break and they have multiple shelves of panadol- normal, actifast and another one. Same in boots, a whole stand dedicated to panadol extra alone, tonnes of boxes. Thats not even taking into account the generic paracetamol, paralief etc available otc. Maybe there will be shortages at some point, but at least in dublin there is no sign of shortages currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Question: Is there an official line on folks with Asthma - are they higher risk or not?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sorry for any confusion, it wasn’t in this country.
    It was some audios from some workers in a hospital in Vitoria, txagorritxu.
    But if the info in the medical procedure was false, it’s obvious the whole audio was so.

Maybe stop posting ****e so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So today the UK has gone from 319 to 373, and officially we're still on 24 (HSE) cases for now!

We only went up three cases yesterday, so I wonder will there be a massive jump or hopefully no increase at all? Irish figures coming in @6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    You don’t think the reason it’s all being linked to Italy is because they are only testing people who have links to Italy? :pac:

Which means we should not of stopped flights from and to Italy (or even told people on these flights to self quarantine automatically) because . . . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Up to 38.9c (102f) it's best not to inhabit the fever in a normally healthy adult but over that it becomes dangerous and need reducing. But a severe headache may necessitate medication at the lower temperature.

That's the kind of thing I've read too - papers arguing that it's often counter-productive to use antipyretics in adults, barring extreme temperatures.

Low-grade fever may well be best left alone in adults as it appears to enhance the immune response.

Still, for anyone reading - ask your doctor, and don't take advice from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Is there a press conference today?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Question: Is there an official line on folks with Asthma - are they higher risk or not?

It’s a disease that affects the lungs. So, yeah.

neonsofa wrote: »
    I was in lidl on my lunch break and they have multiple shelves of panadol- normal, actifast and another one. Same in boots, a whole stand dedicated to panadol extra alone, tonnes of boxes. Thats not even taking into account the generic paracetamol, paralief etc available otc. Maybe there will be shortages at some point, but at least in dublin there is no sign of shortages currently.

Not yet the shortages will be with the manufacturer at this point we won’t see it yet. But we will notice it in time and it won’t just be paracetamol so much medication and excipients come from India and China .

schmoo2k wrote: »

Yep higher. I know because i have it.....not the virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

gazzer wrote: »
    I am due to go to London for 3 nights this Saturday. Am I being over cautious in thinking about not going?

Same here, was 100% going yesterday but starting to think it may not be worth it to be honest. Surely only a matter of time before it ramps up here and there - that said when you look at percentages it’s still incredibly low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    What's nonsense about it exactly?

all of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

How many thousands are infected in Ireland now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If the Navan cases are true those clowns put friends, family, work colleagues and general acquaintances at risk and many are probably going through mental hell at the minute.

Self centred pr*cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

If schools aren’t closing, why are secondary school students being instructed to take ALL their books home today? Hmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tomrota wrote: »
    If schools aren’t closing, why are secondary school students being instructed to take ALL their books home today? Hmm

I used to take my books home every day; didn't have a locker.

Ikozma wrote: »

Are you incapable of googling.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

They should be testing anyone they can and anyone who wants to be tested, simple as that.
    We literally cant do that.

We dont have the resources.

This thread goes around in circles.

I understand the thread is moving quickly but whats the point in people looking for information here when people dont bother to read the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Jim corr is on the case via twitter.

Ikozma wrote: »

Are ye joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

If the Navan cases are true those clowns put friends, family, work colleagues and general acquaintances at risk and through mental hell.

Self centred pr*cks.

Hang on, they were kid's party clowns? Jesus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Steve F wrote: »
    Why is the death rate so high in Italy?:confused:

It's got about a 3% fatality rate. That's higher than the 1918 pandemic.

Even among young people it still has about a 0.2% death rate, which may not sound much, but makes it among the most dangerous things that young people currently face.

This would mean that if 20% of all people in Ireland aged between 25 to 44 contacted covid-19, you could expect about 558 deaths of this demographic :eek: And that's with a fully functioning health service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

My asthma has been getting progressively worse with each day that goes by this week. I could go 8 months at a time without needing my inhaler usually but I've needed it twice daily so far..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement