Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

quokula wrote: »
    Ignoring the other points, the response here and in the UK has been vastly different to Italy.

Their government took the "common sense" populist approach of being the first European country to ban Chinese flights before they had an outbreak. But they didn't take the evidence-based expert led steps of doing due diligence on hygiene, contact tracing etc that we've been doing here. And they had a major outbreak before they started any of that.

Very similar to Wuhan which had an out of control outbreak for many weeks before the government started taking notice.

We're doing everything right here at the moment, which is why our numbers continue to be so low. And for every "sure Italy had as few as Ireland a month ago" comment, you could easily replace Italy with other countries who had it a month ago but who have taken proper action like we have and haven't seen it explode.

What things have we been doing differently to France Germany and Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Ikozma wrote: »
    How many thousands are infected in Ireland now?

24 people have officially tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

lawred2 wrote: »
    all of it

Bullsh*t. There are no experts on Covid-19. There are well informed people I.e scientists, doctors and epidemiologists etc. But no experts. You don't become an expert on something less than 4 months after knowledge of its existence. There is alot we don't know still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Jim corr is on the case via twitter.

Awesome, we're all saved so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭alroley

Tomrota wrote: »
    If schools aren’t closing, why are secondary school students being instructed to take ALL their books home today? Hmm

They're not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Not yet the shortages will be with the manufacturer at this point we won’t see it yet. But we will notice it in time and it won’t just be paracetamol so much medication and excipients come from India and China .

You said it is going short though, which reads like it is going short in shops, which is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

New Home wrote: »
    I thought that turning the patient regularly was to prevent bed sores, among other things. They may have run out of anti-decubitus mattresses, seeing as they're running out of everything else.

No, unfortunately it is a last ditch. In that position, there is nothing weighing on the lungs. It is a last effort to give the lungs a chance, any chance.

It is covered in the New Documentary Series 'Pandemic' Netflix Feb 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If the Navan cases are true those clowns put friends, family, work colleagues and general acquaintances at risk and through mental hell.

Self centred pr*cks.

I have a family member who knows 2 of the officially announced cases and they equally returned from Italy, went into work and now the entire office is shut . . I wont give anymore details then that but this "containment" stage is a farce. It really is one leg in and one leg out type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭I see sheep

fifth wrote: »
    My asthma has been getting progressively worse with each day that goes by this week. I could go 8 months at a time without needing my inhaler usually but I've needed it twice daily so far..

Stop reading this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So today the UK has gone from 319 to 373, and officially we're still on 24 (HSE) cases for now!

We only went up three cases yesterday, so I wonder will there be a massive jump or hopefully no increase at all? Irish figures coming in @6pm.

There's not even one case per county ,
    People need to relax ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I used to take my books home every day; didn't have a locker.

If I were to take all my books home when I was in secondary school, I would’ve needed two or three bags to carry them. Some of those books and hardbacks were thick af. Of course, this is much easier for schools using iPads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Question: Is there an official line on folks with Asthma - are they higher risk or not?

https://community.aafa.org/blog/coronavirus-2019-ncov-flu-what-people-with-asthma-need-to-know

The steps you take to avoid the flu will also help protect you from the coronavirus:

Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 to 30 seconds, always after coughing or sneezing. If you don’t have access to running water, use an alcohol-based hand cleanser that is at least 60% alcohol.
    Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
    Stay away from people who are sick.
    Don’t share makeup, food, dishes or eating utensils.
    Take your daily asthma medicines to keep your asthma under control.

More advice further down that page including:
    We spoke with Mitchell Grayson, M.D., FAAAAI, FACAAI, allergist/immunologist at Nationwide Children's Hospital and chair of AAFA’s Medical Scientific Council. He answered frequently asked questions many people with asthma have about COVID-19.

Are people with asthma at higher risk of contracting COVID-19?
    Not that we are aware of – although data is still developing.

Are people with asthma at higher risk of poor outcomes from COVID-19?
    So far, there has been little information on people with asthma with COVID-19. There has been at least one publication suggesting no effect of COVID-19 on asthma.1 But, it is important to note that there are several other coronaviruses that normally circulate and cause cold/flu like symptoms. These viruses have been shown to cause asthma episodes or attacks. So, whether COVID-19 can cause asthma episodes or attacks remains to be seen.

Also:
    Does the new coronavirus affect older people, or are younger people also susceptible?
    People of all ages can be infected by the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Older people, and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus.
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

hawkelady wrote: »
    With what bloody staff and equipment ??
    The equipment may be sourceable but probably very costly now, main constraint on expanding capacity would appear to be staffing. Maybe a strong incentive bonus, flights and accommodation offer might bring numbers of Irish staff back from Canada and Australia, but Finance will fight tooth and nail to minimise any across the board increases. Also from that perspective fewer ailing elderly makes solving the existing health crisis less costly, though they will NOT be crass enough to mention it publicly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Bullsh*t. There are no experts on Covid-19. There are well informed people I.e scientists, doctors and epidemiologists etc. But no experts. You don't become an expert on something less than 4 months after knowledge of its existence. There is alot we don't know still.

Correct, no experts as you can't, become an expert if you are still learning about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Hang on, they were kid's party clowns? Jesus!

Might as well have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Correct, no experts as you can't, become an expert if you are still learning about it

There may not be all that much experience of this specific new COVID 19 virus but there are absolutely experts on coronaviruses in general and the specifics of how they operate and spread and there are medical experts who've very good knowledge of the impacts this virus has on people.

So, yes there are experts and they should absolutely be listened to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Paddigol

so much medication and excipients come from India and China .

Does it?
    How much?
    What medication?
    How do you know?

Usually when I ask specific questions like the above my post goes ignored and is buried within a few hours, so I'll go ahead and tell you what I think...

I'm guessing it doesn't.
    I'm guessing you've no figures.
    I'm guessing you've no details.
    I'm guessing you either 'presumed'/ 'guessed'/ or just made it up.

And I'm guessing you don't work in the pharma, or any related, industry.

All we need now is for a shortage of everyday medicines like calpol because some people feel the need to scare monger.

We already have a situation where people with immune suppressant issues and the elderly can't get basic things like hand sanitizer because of selfish people stockpiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Might as well have been.

I agree, we need to judge and slander before we know any facts, it's the only way to get through this

Xertz wrote: »
    There may not be all that much experience of this specific new COVID 19 virus but there are absolutely experts on coronaviruses in general and the specifics of how they operate and spread and there are medical experts who've very good knowledge of the impacts this virus has on people.

There aren't on Covid19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Does anyone know if creches close, do people still have to pay? It's a can of worms I do not want to open by asking them right now for fear it will cause awkwardness, but I suppose the question will have to be asked soon. We have to pay when they close for Christmas, we have to pay when our kids are out sick or on holidays, as this is unprecedented I have no idea where the responsibility lies.

There aren't on Covid19

:confused: scroll up and read again!

Babooshka wrote: »
    Does anyone know if creches close, do people still have to pay? It's a can of worms I do not want to open by asking them right now for fear it will cause awkwardness, but I suppose the question will have to be asked soon. We have to pay when they close for Christmas, we have to pay when our kids are out sick or on holidays, as this is unprecedented I have no idea where the responsibility lies.

Ask your creche

:confused: scroll up and read again!

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I'm expecting a big announcement in regards to schools and third levels by Friday.

not unless numbers jump greatly to like ten times current level which is possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

There aren't on Covid19

What a hilariously dumb argument your're proposing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 WriteThings

Temp is a sign of infection but if a temp is to high and not brought down it can damage organs paracetamol is so important if suffering a high temp ! Especially in babies and children. It is going short I have just heard from a friend who works in pharmacy. I would urge parents to have calpol for kids and tablets for adults.

Fevers below 38.9C don't need treating. Fevers above 38.9C but below 40C can be treated if the sick person is uncomfortable (children especially). Fevers below 41-42C are not dangerous, and fevers higher than 41C are very, very rare.

Fevers are just a reaction to infection and the most prevalent current thinking (based on several googlable studies) is that fevers are an adaptive mechanism of immunity that aid recovery by speeding up certain immunological reactions and should not be treated.

Each to their own, though. Plenty of info out there about it, and if your analgesic of choice happens to also reduce fever... oh well.

Definitely DO keep antipyretics on hand though, especially with kids in the house, and always do what your doc says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

alroley wrote: »
    They're not though.

Some are.

Readiness to study from home.

Some schools are combining it with altered timetables so that there is an increased number of double classes. This means that students will have less to carry each day.

What an hilariously dumb argument your're proposing.

How the fcuk can you become an expert on a new virus that is still spreading and is practically new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

As we're fond of international comparisons.... Interesting take on the package of measures announced by the government:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1237323831993413632?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

While I get paid I'm going to keep paying. Not a creche but a childminder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I agree, we need to judge and slander before we know any facts, it's the only way to get through this

There's no slander here.

But the blame also extends to the HSE who continue to advise that anyone who returns from Northern Italy doesn't need to self isolate until they display symptoms. The UK are now advising that anyone who returns from Italy should isolate.

Mistakes like this will cost lives, many lives.

You could actually pose your questions to the crèche you use, instead of a bunch of internet radomers. Who most likely will contradict one another just for kicks and giggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭juno10353

My asthma has been getting progressively worse with each day that goes by this week. I could go 8 months at a time without needing my inhaler usually but I've needed it twice daily so far..

Keep in mind that stress increases the likelihood of asthma attack. Reading some of the posts will not be helpful. Stay off site for few days and try to relax and stay positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Paddigol wrote: »
    Does it?
    How much?
    What medication?
    How do you know?

Usually when I ask specific questions like the above my post goes ignored and is buried within a few hours, so I'll go ahead and tell you what I think...

I'm guessing it doesn't.
    I'm guessing you've no figures.
    I'm guessing you've no details.
    I'm guessing you either 'presumed'/ 'guessed'/ or just made it up.

And I'm guessing you don't work in the pharma, or any related, industry.

All we need now is for a shortage of everyday medicines like calpol because some people feel the need to scare monger.

We already have a situation where people with immune suppressant issues and the elderly can't get basic things like hand sanitizer because of selfish people stockpiling.

I think a hell of a lot of the ingredients for these medications come out of china. The good news is that the chinnese situation is improving so production will ramp up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Cw85 wrote: »
    2-4 a day is one of the lowest in Europe if not the lowest increase per day

Cases so far, based upon extremely limited testing criteria. Again, these are cases so far, from before we took any action whatsoever. The number is only going one way, up. It's just a case of by how many and when and the numbers in two weeks (or longer) will depend upon the actions we take now.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Good opportunity for all those on the dole to work from home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No shutdown of schools for now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nijmegen wrote: »
    As we're fond of international comparisons.... Interesting take on the package of measures announced by the government:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1237323831993413632?s=20

Wow that's surprising!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Stress induced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

There's no slander here.

But the blame also extends to the HSE who continue to advise that anyone who returns from Northern Italy doesn't need to self isolate until they display symptoms. The UK are now advising that anyone who returns from Italy should isolate.

Mistakes like this will cost lives, many lives.

Self centered pricks was the phrase, sorry, not quite slander - but not very nice either.

People followed the advice given at the time, they should not be derided as self-centered for this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are we due the Italian figures at 5pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I agree with all of this. Original poster disputed what I was saying when I said there are no experts on Covid-19 in the context of 'some public health official in the UK is no more knowledgeable about the impact this virus will have vs the Italians or Chinese.

Of course there are experts on coronaviruses and epidemiologists, doctors etc should be listened to as well. My original point was I'm listening to the WHO and those that already have big problems rather than those who have yet to face them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Any chance of a thread where only official announcements get posted? Might be easier to read actual updates instead of pages & pages of waffle.

ie Company X are instructing to WFH or School Y are closing for 2 weeks etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

FitzShane wrote: »
    Any chance of a thread where only official announcements get posted? Might be easier to ready actual updates instead of pages & pages of waffle.

That would take a huge amount of effort to verify and keep up-to-date

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very cursory google search shows that the prone or face down position can help mechanical ventilation for some patients. Do you think posting that kind of stuff helps in this situation for people viewing that article?
    +1 and it shows the level of ignorance and basic bloody logic bypass of some in panic and hysteria mode. I mean if some could take two bloody seconds to actually think about something before going off on one and making the logic bypass plain for all to see. Let me join the dots here: If this position meant there was nothing to be done and it was game over, why take the effort to put patients in the bloody position in the first place? The mind boggles... actually it doesn't any more. :rolleyes::mad::(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How the fcuk can you become an expert on a new virus that is still spreading and is practically new

Well, it's a bit like saying that there are no experts who can deal with a particular type of aircraft, because it's new. Or that a pastry chef would know nothing about apple pie because they have only dealt with apple tarts.

The reality of it is that the COVID 19 virus is part of a very well known and well understood family of known as coronaviruses that include the Common Cold and a whole load of human and animal viruses that cause everything from no symptoms to major problems. So a lot is understood, known and has been studied for many decades.

They are not starting from scratch with some alien virus that just landed from outer space, this thing is basically a rather more dangerous cousin of the Common Cold and has a lot in common with the more dangerous MERS and SARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Fevers below 38.9C don't need treating. Fevers above 38.9C but below 40C can be treated if the sick person is uncomfortable (children especially). Fevers below 41-42C are not dangerous, and fevers higher than 41C are very, very rare.

Fevers are just a reaction to infection and the most prevalent current thinking (based on several googlable studies) is that fevers are an adaptive mechanism of immunity that aid recovery by speeding up certain immunological reactions and should not be treated.

Each to their own, though. Plenty of info out there about it, and if your analgesic of choice happens to also reduce fever... oh well.

Definitely DO keep antipyretics on hand though, especially with kids in the house, and always do what your doc says.

You state a temp of 41-42 aren’t dangerous !! Jesus Christ. Some BS there pal ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Ask your creche

Do you honestly think the creches know either? who do you think they would say have to pay? Thanks for the nugget.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Any chance of a thread where only official announcements get posted? Might be easier to ready actual updates instead of pages & pages of waffle.

Good idea far to many using these threads to scaremonger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

That would take a huge amount of effort to verify and keep up-to-date

How is the mother in-law?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement