Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Self centered pricks was the phrase, sorry, not quite slander - but not very nice either.

People followed the advice given at the time, they should not be derided as self-centered for this.

The advice on travel was relatively clear - essential travel only. Since when is skiing essential travel?

The advice on isolation was less clear.

So all are at fault. A complete clusterf*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I would think there could be 2 threads now. 1 national thread and 1 international thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No shutdown of schools for now.

No - but just got a text from our school asking pupils to be prepared (access their school email a/c and check for Google classrooms to join).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Babooshka wrote: »
    Do you honestly think the creches know either? who do you think they would say have to pay? Thanks for the nugget.

Well how would boards know if your supplier doesn't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That would take a huge amount of effort to verify and keep up-to-date

Understandable. Maybe all posts have to include official sources? Such as this one.

All TCD lectures for the rest of the semester to be delivered online.
    TCD & DCU have postponed spring graduation ceremonies.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0310/1121384-education-coronavirus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Any news in how the Italians are enforcing the new measures?
    Is the army helping the police?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Fevers below 38.9C don't need treating. Fevers above 38.9C but below 40C can be treated if the sick person is uncomfortable (children especially). Fevers below 41-42C are not dangerous, and fevers higher than 41C are very, very rare.

Fevers are just a reaction to infection and the most prevalent current thinking (based on several googlable studies) is that fevers are an adaptive mechanism of immunity that aid recovery by speeding up certain immunological reactions and should not be treated.

Each to their own, though. Plenty of info out there about it, and if your analgesic of choice happens to also reduce fever... oh well.

Definitely DO keep antipyretics on hand though, especially with kids in the house, and always do what your doc says.

Delete this - this is mental.

Hyperpyrexia is very, *very* serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Fitting

aqgOPov_460swp.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WriteThings

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No shutdown of schools for now.

If the plan is to shut down from Friday, they're going to try and keep it under wraps until Friday. Because the obvious question is: "If it's serious enough to close schools, why not now?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How can the Italians currently here in Ireland now get home if all flights cancelled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Does anyone know if creches close, do people still have to pay? It's a can of worms I do not want to open by asking them right now for fear it will cause awkwardness, but I suppose the question will have to be asked soon. We have to pay when they close for Christmas, we have to pay when our kids are out sick or on holidays, as this is unprecedented I have no idea where the responsibility lies.

Yes, you have to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

My child said that the teacher told them today they might well be working from home next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Does anyone know if creches close, do people still have to pay? It's a can of worms I do not want to open by asking them right now for fear it will cause awkwardness, but I suppose the question will have to be asked soon. We have to pay when they close for Christmas, we have to pay when our kids are out sick or on holidays, as this is unprecedented I have no idea where the responsibility lies.

Yes you'll have to pay same as a red alert warning, there currently waiting on direction whether to close or not, no final decision has been made. I'd be booking one of the staff from the time it closes and I'd be doing it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    Any news in how the Italians are enforcing the new measures?
    Is the army helping the police?

If only there was some way to find out .....alas if only an internet search thingy existed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I've a suspicious feeling that there's a few HSE trools and health professionals in our midst.

Good idea far to many using these threads to scaremonger.

There are actually very few on here scaremongering.

Most are countering misinformation and nonsense such as "relax, its only a bad flu, we won't get it as bad in Ireland as Italy, we've only a few cases so far and it will bottom out in a week or two".

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Johnnyscotsman

Friend who knows one of the Navan cases has confirmed it is a school kid who was on a school tour to Italy.

hawkelady wrote: »
    You state a temp of 41-42 aren’t dangerous !! Jesus Christ. Some BS there pal ..

Incorrect. I stated that fevers are not dangerous UNTIL THEY REACH temperatures of 41-42C.

This is not any sort of state secret. It should be common knowledge to anyone with any sort of care responsibility.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How can the Italians currently here in Ireland now get home if all flights cancelled?

Why would they want to go back to Italy.

Fitting

aqgOPov_460swp.webp

My grandfather had an expression ' when it comes to the mob, commonsense is no longer common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Nijmegen wrote: »
    As we're fond of international comparisons.... Interesting take on the package of measures announced by the government:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1237323831993413632?s=20
    They (-US) don't have the inept caretaker government we do pretending to be in charge, and believing that eye catching headlines and throwing money willy nilly at a problem is the best way to solve it.

I hope, but don't believe, that all that expenditure will be justified by bullet pointed concrete evidence, and not excused with the usual vague and specious terminology. It's our Brexit fighting fund they're about to squander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

On schools there's a real issue in announcing it too soon, and so other things close before we're at the point they need to; and giving parents fair notice. I wouldn't be surprised if we get word Friday but then parents have till Wednesday (are most schools shut Monday anyway?) to sort out something.

nthclare wrote: »
    I've a suspicious feeling that there's a few HSE trools and health professionals in our midst.

How is Clare anyway..... worried or all ok there.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

I'd be as sure as the sun rises in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Silvius

Is anyone else skeptical of the official numbers here? I've heard some very credible reports locally of people who have travelled to Italy and are showing symptoms and have been advised by the HSE to self isolate, but have not been tested. Why would the HSE not be testing people like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There was a contractor for the HSE who said that they have a PR team who monitors threads etc, and one direct employee for social media based out of Tallaght.

He gave a great insight into how the HSE worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

I've been told I have to be ready as I may be moved temporarily to work in a Public Health Dept for who knows how long.. :P My role is far away from Public Health lol

Friend who knows one of the Navan cases has confirmed it is a school kid who was on a school tour to Italy.

Equally as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

she's fine

• Advertisement

There are actually very few on here scaremongering.

BS. Search for Cuckoo 7 just one example.

Four new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed by the Department of Health, bringing the total number of cases in Northern Ireland to 16.

All four cases are adults and one case involved recent travel from northern Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

If the plan is to shut down from Friday, they're going to try and keep it under wraps until Friday. Because the obvious question is: "If it's serious enough to close schools, why not now?"

Something is definitely up. Management in closed meetings all day. Flurry of activity. While may not close Friday, definitely planning is taking place. Apps to teach from home appearing on school websites, etc.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There was a contractor for the HSE who said that they have a PR team who monitors threads etc, and one direct employee for social media based out of Tallaght.

He gave a great insight into how the HSE worked.

Any large organisation has a social media team who monitor and react. Hardly surprising is the HSE have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

CrankyHaus wrote:
    The Irish Times is too polite to say that plenty of hypochondriacs and other chancers clog up hospitals normally and their F-ing off now that hospitals have a higher perceived risk of infection.
    The A&E department where i work has been quiet the past week.

Its the exact same when there's a red weather warning. People stay away.

It's a fascinating coincidence that the number of "emergencies" falls when going to the hospital is more of a risk than whatever ails them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cases in Demark almost triple from 90 to 262
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fggloh/denmark_from_90_confirmed_to_262_in_24_hours/

Almost 200 more in France and 58 more in Sweden

45% of cases in Europe are now outside Italy. With over 16000 cases on the continent

• Advertisement

Delete this - this is mental.

Hyperpyrexia is very, *very* serious.

Hyperpyrexia is a fever higher than 41.5C. I said that fevers BELOW 41C are not dangerous. Where is the incorrect information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have a feeling you would be more at home on the conspiracy theories thread.
    But hey they are just feelings.

I would personally love some health professionals over some of the so called experts on this thread

Silvius wrote: »
    Is anyone else skeptical of the official numbers here? I've heard some very credible reports locally of people who have travelled to Italy and are showing symptoms and have been advised by the HSE to self isolate, but have not been tested. Why would the HSE not be testing people like this?

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't hundreds such cases. Numerous flights in and out of the region and no isolation after they came home.

Predictable to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

mostly 80+

Can you be more exact? Are there any stats on this?

Why would they want to go back to Italy.

Because they have things like their families, houses and jobs there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

BS. Search for Cuckoo 7 just one example.

I apologised for it, I should have known better than to mention them.
    Yes, that’s on me.
    But I did apologise and deleted the posts and if you want you can read all my other posts and see I’m not a scaremonger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Due to travel to Budapest tomorrow for the weekend. Would you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Well how would boards know if your supplier doesn't know

How would anyone know anything on this thread? I'm not the only person asking questions, stop answering them as if I'm stupid or everyone else is dumber than you. This is, you know, unprecendented...why do you think creches would know where the onus lies on who pays during closure for a pandemic? Take it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Silvius wrote: »

Italy is testing more people than any other country in Europe and is second only to S. Korea worldwide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Silvius

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't hundreds such cases. Numerous flights in and out of the region and no isolation after they came home.

Predictable to say the least.

I agree, I just don't get why the HSE would be trying to keep it under wraps - an outbreak is inevitable and they'll have to admit it eventually. I think there's a false sense of security that it hasn't been announced in your region yet when it probably is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Due to travel to Budapest tomorrow for the weekend. Would you go?

No thanks mate, thanks for offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

tom1ie wrote: »
    Can you be more exact? Are there any stats on this?

read on another 10 posts, or google, its quicker ...
    otnomart wrote: »
    Italy publishes: number of tests; positives; hospitalised; in intensive care; age profile of victims; comorbidities of victims https://www.iss.it/coronavirus/-/asset_publisher/1SRKHcCJJQ7E/content/id/5292020? and http://opendatadpc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/dae18c330e8e4093

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I know the situation is dire but I feel a lot more relaxed that it's starting to set in for more people how serious this is. My parents have decided to self isolate and stock up on some non perishables. Ignoring reality is just a much more stressful place to be in imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

We're ok thanks for now, although I am quite nomadic and live alone and that's not to say I won't catch it, but I am being cautious.
    I haven't been in Ennistymon or Lahinch since the outbreak.
    Although I could do with a surf.

Supposedly a lot of people who were at the blind guy yacht club thingy in Glor got letters to isolate.
    Thankfully its not my thing to be listening to a crock of Sh1t of pseudo science and new age woo etc
    And my friends are ok too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement