Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Due to go to Berlin in 10 days. Flights paid. AirBnB paid.

Would you go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Silvius wrote: »
    Is anyone else skeptical of the official numbers here? I've heard some very credible reports locally of people who have travelled to Italy and are showing symptoms and have been advised by the HSE to self isolate, but have not been tested. Why would the HSE not be testing people like this?

Yes I think there is more confirmed cases than being revealed by the HSE and Dept of Health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    I apologised for it, I should have known better than to mention them.
    Yes, that’s on me.
    But I did apologise and deleted the posts and if you want you can read all my other posts and see I’m not a scaremonger.

It took me all of 4 seconds to do a search and counter with a link to the scaremongering you posted. There is people reading these threads who yes need to be informed and advised on what to do they certainly don't need some clueless individuals ramping up the fear levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

Due to travel to Budapest tomorrow for the weekend. Would you go?
    9 cases there. I'd go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭Shelga

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    My child said that the teacher told them today they might well be working from home next week.

Sounds like wishful thinking from the teacher, and he/she should really keep their mouths shut about this stuff around kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

traveling through airports in around Europe in the middle of an outbreak? sure, definitely go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Silvius

I wouldn't go anywhere right now. Just cancelled trip to Spain next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

evil_seed wrote: »

Would you go?

Only you can make that call.

You'll get differing answers on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Would you go?

What time will I meet you at the airport. xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Austria had closed its border with Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WriteThings

I know the situation is dire but I feel a lot more relaxed that it's starting to set in for more people how serious this is. My parents have decided to self isolate and stock up on some non perishables. Ignoring reality is just a much more stressful place to be in imo.

Meanwhile, my COPD-diagnosed mother and her almost-80-year-old immunocompromised girlfriend are off to an indoor concert tonight. With 2000 randoms. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Shelga wrote: »
    Sounds like wishful thinking from the teacher, and he/she should really keep their mouths shut about this stuff around kids.

Spread the fear to the kids. Great job there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

nthclare wrote: »
    I've a suspicious feeling that there's a few HSE trools and health professionals in our midst.
    You can be sure they are, Irish Examiner debunked the 'rumours' of school closures, which they claimed were posted on "an internet forum". We're probably all going to get put on some sort of watchlist if the virus doesn't entirely reshape the sociopolitical landscape. There are definitely a lot of sh!tposters clogging up the thread with very transparent attempts to drag people into inane arguments, new ones cropping up all the time with low postcounts.

I'm just waiting for "this thread is the subject of an ongoing legal investigation".

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Cancelled a trip to Belgium next week...obviously contracting the virus is a major worry but so is getting quarantined in a hotel for 2 or 3 weeks if there was an outbreak.

Shelga wrote: »

but teachers have been saying this a lot today, I head from friends who have kids in Blanchardstown and in Dunshaughlin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Would you go?

Yeah, it's already here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    traveling through airports in around Europe in the middle of an outbreak? sure, definitely go

9 cases there and less than 30 here though. Obviously i wouldn't be going to Italy or France. HSE have no advice to cancel trips to Hungary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

cheers but I have things to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Would you go?

You probably won’t have the option. Cancel your accommodation if you can, you can always rebook it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Would you go?
    As far as coronavirus is concerned, 10 days is a long ways away. The decision could be well out of your hands by then.

I've the MotoGP booked for Le Mans in May, looking less and less likely to happen now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

Listening to the radio on the commute home, could of heard it wrong as I was half listening, but are Dubai going into lockdown? Not letting people in/out?

Have a holiday booked for the start of May, too soon to cancel can get full refund on the hotel until the end of April.. currently 74 cases in the UAE.

What would you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Saint Ruth wrote: »
    9 cases there. I'd go.

This is the part people need to get there head around,

there are 9 confirmed cases, that is not saying how many cases there actually are.

The problem it would appear is that there are many cases going about until the first confirmation, by then the horse has already bolted.

Traveling to anywhere now should be halted, Moldova have taken a very serious approach at its outset on this,

No foreigners are permitted into the country if travelling from a country that has any confirmed infections, only Moldovans allowed to return.

Thats what needs to happen everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

It took me all of 4 seconds to do a search and counter with a link to the scaremongering you posted. There is people reading these threads who yes need to be informed and advised on what to do they certainly don't need some clueless individuals ramping up the fear levels.
    Can you understand that I didn’t think to mistrust the info?
    That I know the person who I got it from and never thought that it could be a scam?
    That when I posted that it was a mistake done without malice?
    That when I realised It wasn’t true I did everything I could to delete and apologised?
    In any case, sorry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

1.8m population in N.I - 16 confirmed cases

4.8m population in Ireland - 24 confirmed cases.

Are we that good at preventive measures, or N.I that bad?
    Figures not adding up and considering there is cases that havent been confirmed in official figures I dont see the reason why we're being drop fed information all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

but teachers have been saying this a lot today, I head from friends who have kids in Blanchardstown and in Dunshaughlin

My daughter was told today they might not be back to school after friday and work would be emailed to them. So I think the schools know they are closing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Due to travel to UK tomorrow for Champions League game .

What's peoples opinions on this?

9 cases there and less than 30 here though. Obviously i wouldn't be going to Italy or France. HSE have no advice to cancel trips to Hungary.

Taking chances in the middle of an escalating epidemic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Figures not adding up and considering there is cases that havent been confirmed in official figures I dont see the reason why we're being drop fed information all the time

You cant judge the containment efforts of a country based on such a tiny sample of cases, it is probably complete chance the NI happens to have a few more cases per capita than us at this moment in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Defence forces having exercises deploying field hospitals

https://twitter.com/BerryCathal/status/1237293703993180160?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Would you go?

At the moment, outside of a few hotpsots that have it bad such as Madrid, Northern Italy, and a couple other cluster areas, you should be ok to travel to and from somewhere. I wouldn't go for longer than a week though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The better question is how many tests were done in NI versus ROI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

You can be sure they are, Irish Examiner debunked the 'rumours' of school closures, which they claimed were posted on "an internet forum". We're probably all going to get put on some sort of watchlist if the virus doesn't entirely reshape the sociopolitical landscape. There are definitely a lot of sh!tposters clogging up the thread with very transparent attempts to drag people into inane arguments, new ones cropping up all the time with low postcounts.

I'm just waiting for "this thread is the subject of an ongoing legal investigation".

Sure didn't some FF TD or Senator once say Boards was a "nest of terrorists".

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Go enjoy your life ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think liverpool will do enough to get through. It will be tough. 2 nil I'm going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I'm due to fly on a dream round the world trip as a bucket list with my grandfather, first stop is Bologna, then onto Qom followed by a stop in Hubei, then Seoul, followed by San Fran before coming back through Milan, any travel advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

Silvius wrote: »
    Is anyone else skeptical of the official numbers here? I've heard some very credible reports locally of people who have travelled to Italy and are showing symptoms and have been advised by the HSE to self isolate, but have not been tested. Why would the HSE not be testing people like this?
    I'd presume it's because it's difficult to test everyone?
    They'd have to send paramedics to your house in hazmat suits to test you, and can't do it for everyone so probably are just doing it for those with symptoms.

They should really have drive-in testing like they have in South Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

More than likely ok. At the moment the chances of getting CV are low, but rising. In a month or two it might be a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

The Naas case is true. I've an extremely reliable source working in Naas hospital and it was a suspected case last night confirmed this morning .

A person from Naas or using Naas ICU facilities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Taking chances in the middle of an escalating epidemic

Well in fairness, as a lay person I'm going by what the HSE are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I'm due to fly on a dream round the world trip, first stop is Bologna, then onto Qom followed by a stop in hubei, then Seoul, followed by San Fran before coming back through Milan, any travel advise?

go through new York ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

they're just a few days ahead of us, thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1237420083112222728?s=20

Good news, unilateral action will once again force the government to follow suit and do what they should be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think liverpool will do enough to get through. It will be tough. 2 nil I'm going for.

As long as they mathematically have the Premier League won before games are postponed due to this, I could care a less about the CL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

I'm due to fly on a dream round the world trip, first stop is Bologna, then onto Qom followed by a stop in hubei, then Seoul, followed by San Fran before coming back through Milan, any travel advise?

Your flight from Milan still scheduled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

If the Navan cases are true those clowns put friends, family, work colleagues and general acquaintances at risk and many are probably going through mental hell at the minute.

Self centred pr*cks.

This is a huge problem and problem an indication of what things are like. The country is devided. Those taking this seriously with caution and those who think it's just a cold or flu.

The government played down this disease in order not to cause panic but this is the result now. People not taking this seriously. They probably think it's something that will not effect them but it has the potential to come back and hit them hard.

If the hospitals can't cope with the incoming demand, I have visions of a 'scarlet fever' type of scenario. I know scarlet fever is from a different time but still.
    I watched the movie little women over the Christmas and one of the girls died at home in her bed. Is that what we are facing with our aging parents? How does someone come back from witnessing something like that? One of my grandmothers died in hospital a few years ago. She was a good age but she died comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

A Dublin 6 gym sent around a notice dated yesterday that 2 members were Confirmed positive. Yet it wasn't mentioned in yesterday's figures

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

We definitely need a ‘What would you do thread’ for people who can’t look at the facts and make their own informed decisions.

I don’t know why people think boards will give them the correct answer ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm due to fly on a dream round the world trip as a bucket list with my grandfather, first stop is Bologna, then onto Qom followed by a stop in Hubei, then Seoul, followed by San Fran before coming back through Milan, any travel advise?
    Get him to update his will?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement