Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

1.8m population in N.I - 16 confirmed cases

4.8m population in Ireland - 24 confirmed cases.

Are we that good at preventive measures, or N.I that bad?
    Figures not adding up and considering there is cases that havent been confirmed in official figures I dont see the reason why we're being drop fed information all the time

Considering that the HSE allowed a doctor to go to work because he wasn't suffering symptoms (they should know that viruses has a period where you don't have symptoms). We're very much not good at preventive measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I'm due to fly on a dream round the world trip as a bucket list with my grandfather, first stop is Bologna, then onto Qom followed by a stop in Hubei, then Seoul, followed by San Fran before coming back through Milan, any travel advise?

If you go to Minsk, go in Spring, it's lovely there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Important article to note ->
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay
    Authorities advise people to stay 1-2 metres apart, but researchers found that a bus passenger infected fellow travellers sitting 4.5 metres away
    The scientists behind the research said their investigation also highlighted the importance of wearing face masks because of the length of time it can linger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

1.8m population in N.I - 16 confirmed cases

4.8m population in Ireland - 24 confirmed cases.

Are we that good at preventive measures, or N.I that bad?
    Figures not adding up and considering there is cases that havent been confirmed in official figures I dont see the reason why we're being drop fed information all the time

This is going to hit different countries and areas within countries differently. You can't really compare like for like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm due to go to dinner with friends, should I go or avoid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I'm due to fly on a dream round the world trip as a bucket list with my grandfather, first stop is Bologna, then onto Qom followed by a stop in Hubei, then Seoul, followed by San Fran before coming back through Milan, any travel advise?

Bring toilet paper! Lots of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Saint Ruth wrote: »
    I'd presume it's because it's difficult to test everyone?
    They'd have to send paramedics to your house in hazmat suits to test you, and can't do it for everyone so probably are just doing it for those with symptoms.

They should really have drive-in testing like they have in South Korea.
    Or even like the one setup in Antrim a week ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭ax530

presume the gym notice would have been as a result of contact tracing so their positive test would have been a day or so prior to notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fics wrote: »
    Your flight from Milan still scheduled?

You do realise it's a wind up, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Are you looking for an excuse not to go?
    Do you like them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

DO NOT eat the bat dish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

It being Fine Gael, if the schools are closing it will be leaked to the Irish or Sunday Independent a day or two before its officially announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

But the thing with the bus is that they assume they didn’t cross paths getting in or out, they didn’t touchthe same handrails...
    Is like they only take into account from the moment both were sitting at their seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

channaigh wrote: »
    My daughter was told today they might not be back to school after friday and work would be emailed to them. So I think the schools know they are closing

I am a teacher . I have to make arrangements for my exam classes just in case we are closed so that they can work from home. It does not mean we are closing or that we know anything that others don’t know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Scotty # wrote: »
    This is going to hit different countries and areas within countries differently. You can't really compare like for like.

This is true, and also with such small numbers and natural variability, it's hard to infer any pattern.

It will be more helpful to look at trends over numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

touts wrote: »
    DO NOT eat the bat dish!

I believe it was an ant eater that caused all this malarkey 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Some positive news elsewhere. The B.B.C. are reporting that a second patient has been cured of H.I.V.

IT is linked to stem cell treatment he had whilst he had cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Due to go to Stockholm on Friday for the weekend.

Would you go?

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Some positive news elsewhere. The B.B.C. are reporting that a second patient has been cured of H.I.V.

IT is linked to stem cell treatment he had whilst he had cancer.
    Ok so not coronavirus related at all...great news though if true

DVDM93 wrote: »
    NUIG.

thats as bad as the dublin whatsapp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I am a teacher . I have to make arrangements for my exam classes just in case we are closed so that they can work from home. It does not mean we are closing or that we know anything that others don’t know.
    I'd imagine it's just one of those contingency plans that is being discussed at Cabinet level.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    NUIG.
    A Twitter account...look it might be true but maybe wait til an actual announcement...this thread has been swamped with things like this the majority have been utter rubbish

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok so not coronavirus related at all...

there was reports of stem cell treatment working for coronavirus as well,

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3053080/coronavirus-critically-ill-chinese-patient-saved-stem-cell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

where can i get case graphs per country?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

dobby896 wrote: »

Would you go?

No but thanks for offering

• Registered Users Posts: 40 80sChild

Considering that the HSE allowed a doctor to go to work because he wasn't suffering symptoms (they should know that viruses has a period where you don't have symptoms). We're very much not good at preventive measures.

If he wasn't coughing the virus had no real "vehicle" hopefully. Should have been quarantined for sure though.

First case in Congo.
    100 cases across Africa now, mostly Egypt and Algeria.

I'm hoping that the slow uptick is due to climate, but I'm thinking it just might be due to less travel perhaps? That would be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

PhantomHat wrote: »
    No but thanks for offering

Hahahhaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,606 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

touts wrote: »
    DO NOT eat the bat dish!

I spit tea out over this :D:o and I know it is no laughing matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

in fairness, it was not regarded as overly serious in Italy at that time.

We're all great in hindsight.

Remember this is just a 9-10 weeks old virus. More knowledge is coming every day. Ireland is lucky in that we have the benefit of 3-4 weeks more knowledge of other countries, hence we will probably be less affected.

froog wrote: »

Worldometer site now has graphs for some countries.

dobby896 wrote: »

Would you go?

Yes. Safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

First 8 countries are hyperlinked.

there should be a wikipedia page on it for every major country affected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

there was reports of stem cell treatment working for coronavirus as well,
    I linked to a piece on a drug called remdesivir earlier. In the article it also pointed out there are up to 300 trials of a variety of potential therapies underway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

New new cases in Ireland, Ireland is gonna be graaaand lads!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

rosiem wrote: »
    We definitely need a ‘What would you do thread’ for people who can’t look at the facts and make their own informed decisions.

I don’t know why people think boards will give them the correct answer ??

It's just a way for people to let everyone know they are off 'abroad'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Multinationals and Schools seem to be taking a proactive approach.

Also cancelling gatherings for parades was proactive.

Thumbs up.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    First case in Congo.
    100 cases across Africa now, mostly Egypt and Algeria.

I'm hoping that the slow uptick is due to climate, but I'm thinking it just might be due to less travel perhaps? That would be bad.

There might be a couple of things in Africa's favour although realistically its grasping at straws.

Average age is younger than Europe and not as many people in the +70 category.
    High temperatures
    Less internal flights and modes of transmission
    Less reliant on mass transport such as the tube
    Much less dense in some areas, although very dense in other areas.
    Younger population - that's probably the important one.

Coronavirus really appears to suit developed countries for all these reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭0127647

Phibsboro wrote: »
    It is an interesting situation. Given the amount of money poured into the HSE, I've always had a vague worry that the constant crises are being generated (possibly inadvertently/sub conciously) by the staff. It is an ongoing issue with publicly funded services. The civil service traditionally had a "use it or lose it" policy that discouraged effeciencies as it just reduced your budget for next year. You can see that if a crisis is met by allocating more resources, people might make small choices over a period that lead to a visible crisis to attract more funding. Now that those same people can see the impending ****storm coming down the tracks, we are suddenly able to push people through the system more quickly. Will definitely be worth looking at after the corona epidemic has moved on.

Super post. I've said for years the HSE is far too unionised and the main issues in the health service involve inefficiencies in process and unwillingness on union/staffs part to enact process improvements.

As you said, its in the unions interest to keep the drama of the trolleys going

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

KingBobby wrote: »
    A Dublin 6 gym sent around a notice dated yesterday that 2 members were Confirmed positive. Yet it wasn't mentioned in yesterday's figures

What gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

there should be a wikipedia page on it for every major country affected

Write em up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

This makes sense but they may as well allow groups to continue to sit together who have already been exposed to each other.

Imagine a first date!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

First 8 countries are hyperlinked.

The best 8 countries

• Advertisement

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    That’s useless.
    What else do you suggest they do bar closing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement