Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

There might be a couple of things in Africa's favour although realistically its grasping at straws.

Average age is younger than Europe and not as many people in the +70 category.
    High temperatures
    Less internal flights and modes of transmission
    Less reliant on mass transport such as the tube
    Much less dense in some areas, although very dense in other areas.
    Younger population - that's probably the important one.

Coronavirus really appears to suit developed countries for all these reasons.

You do realise the younger population is down to life expectancy being 55 in some countries in Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

That would take a huge amount of effort to verify and keep up-to-date

If only people would stop posting sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The Irish Times is too polite to say that plenty of hypochondriacs and other chancers clog up hospitals normally and their F-ing off now that hospitals have a higher perceived risk of infection.

One positive is that those that really shouldn't be in A&E won't go there now. Told that by an A&E doctor years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Write em up!
    i meant 'there is, if you look'...

heres ireland, link to others at bottom of page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

So Ryanair have cancelled a travellers flight from milan to dublin but advised that they will not be cancelling their flight from Dublin to Bologna. Is that not nuts? I'd show up for the Bologna flight and call their bluff. Nice eu261 claim there too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    First case in Congo.
    100 cases across Africa now, mostly Egypt and Algeria.

I'm hoping that the slow uptick is due to climate, but I'm thinking it just might be due to less travel perhaps? That would be bad.

More likely lack of testing facilities in sub Sahara Africa. No coincidence that most cases in that continent have been identified in those 2 countries IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

gmisk wrote: »
    Are you looking for an excuse not to go?
    Do you like them?

Not looking for an excuse. Just afraid to actually go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

631 deaths on Italy.

631 deaths on Italy.

Has there been any age or weight breakdown of the fatal cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Sigma101 wrote: »
    PLEASE PLEASE DELETE THIS

If you send it to ten friends, you get immunity from the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

touts wrote: »
    DO NOT eat the bat dish!

This deserves more thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

sparkle109 wrote: »
    What gym?

This would be unhelpful speculation - I'm sure the gym in question has contacted its members which would be the responsible thing to do. Naming gyms etc is not helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

6.21% death rate Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

631 deaths on Italy.

That just mainly one region too. China were clearly lying about the number of deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

nthclare wrote:
    I've a suspicious feeling that there's a few HSE trools and health professionals in our midst.
    God forbid you or your loved ones get sick.

You're going heed the advice of healthcare professionals then aren't you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Barcelona here, my kids school is closed from next week ...

good

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

Due to go to work tomorrow should I cancel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ffs this rubbish has been posted multiple times or variants of it for literally weeks

Explain what parts are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

What else do you suggest they do bar closing?

I wouldn’t go to the cinema in that case, but that’s just me, if I’m going to be the whole movie worried about the distance between me and the others...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

6.21% death rate Italy

6.21, so far...

Fics wrote: »

Just tomorrow or for the duration of the pandemic? If your going to cancel tomorrow don't see why you would go the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Germany so far has 1317 cases.
    So far 2 deaths.
    Only 9 critical cases.

Major contrast with Italy.

I heard that tip about regularly drinking water earlier today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Fitzwilliam. No risk to other gym members though, as they hadn't returned to gym in the meantime (virus contracted abroad)
    I would imagine they just sent around the notice to stop people worrying unnecessarily.

I much prefer when places are transparent like that, rather than secretive

Edit: sorry that was supposed to be a reply...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh wow.
    Big jump in Italy numbers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Guffy wrote: »
    Has there been any age or weight breakdown of the fatal cases?

Average age was 80 iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You do realise the younger population is down to life expectancy being 55 in some countries in Africa

Yes. That's in my post if you look carefully. Less people in the high risk +70 category and very few in the +80 category. Hence the death rate will be much diminished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

50% reduction in the amount of new cases in Italy? Hopefully a peak has been reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Fics wrote: »

Definitely dont if its in Italy, Iran, china.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    50% reduction in the amount of new cases in Italy? Hopefully a peak has been reached.

Was saying not all cases have been reported yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

spookwoman wrote: »

But what about freedom of movement? I thought their hands are tied? It's an internal border but?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is it? Nearly 1000.
    I thought it was higher than yesterday ... I'm losing track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭landofthetree

There is little doubt that shutdowns will work. Plus people being thoughtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1237420083112222728?s=20

Good news, unilateral action will once again force the government to follow suit and do what they should be doing.
    So far:
    Indeed
    Twitter
    Cork University Hospital
    University Hospital Limerick
    A bunch of other medical facilities
    Apple
    Abtran Bishopstown Cork
    Trinity College Dublin
    Google

a litany of pharmaceutical companies

have all shown that they are taking this public health emergency (which has been at SOS level according to the WHO since mid-February) at least somewhat seriously because they, y'know, don't want to be responsible for potentially many deaths due to infections which occur in their facilities.

What about all the transmission going on in schools in Cork and Limerick? Close contacts of close contacts are not being told to self isolate so it is reasonable to believe that there are children living with parents who have the virus and they are transmitting it.

Unless HSE have stepped up their testing five-fold on last week and modified the criteria for testing people (afaik still only those who travelled from infected regions and their close contacts, as well as close contacts of confirmed cases) there are untold numbers walking around transmitting the virus that did not meet the HSE criteria.

I realise that there are those of you on here who will have a knee-jerk reaction to this post and want to maintain composure by not becoming alarmed by the emergency we are facing. Please, if my post angers you take the time to look up the surgeons' testimonies from Italy where they say that they are so overwhelmed, they are triaging because there aren't enough respirators so those with any comorbidities, even young people, are on a 'do not resuscitate' notice.

Look at the guy whose 30 year-old sister is dead beside him in her bed and the medical staff wouldn't test him and he has nobody to help him with the body. Look at the army on the streets of Italy last night blasting out of a speaker that they are on lockdown it's curfew and nobody is to leave.

Look at Wuhan where they say that they are getting control of it now but there are still current reports of healthcare workers dying from dehydration because they don't have enough protective suits and can't open them while on shift due to the risk of contamination. Also we don't know their figures so Italy is all we have to look to for an accurate picture of the potential for containment, and we're not on lockdown yet.

We are not winding down our contact with the world in a way that is conducive to stopping this, based on the evidence available from the furthest-on countries in this. We are winding down in such a way that the economy keeps tipping over for a long as possible. Are you willing to be collateral damage in this race to the bottom so that the government can self-perpetuate, at the risk of having your loved ones potentially get infected, or die yourself due to complications from a lack of treatment?

There are many articles coming out saying the Italian lock down is too little too late and that it's going to send economies spiraling out of control in a way that means everyone is going to lose their jobs anyway. I'm going to stay at home and do my best to protect my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Barcelona here, my kids school is closed from next week ...

Just their school or all the schools?
    Does each region in Spain make their own decision regarding closures or does it come from Madrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I’m so over this ****ing virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Ok done. The bit about drinking plenty of water is good advice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

I’m very much on the side of let’s prepare but not panic

But I will say the numbers coming out of Italy are horrendous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

And delete you quoting it. You’ve now preserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is it? Nearly 1000.
    I thought it was higher than yesterday ... I'm losing track.

I believe there was approx 1700 new cases yesterday. 977 today.

Some positive news at least, hopefully this trend continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Honestly, if there is another community transmission case tonight in Cork then something will have to be done, there would clearly be somebody who is spreading the virus around without even knowing possibly. Hoping there isn't any!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What time are our numbers due today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’m so over this ****ing virus.

Congrats, didn’t realise you had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

6.21, so far...
    This is not taking into account the hundred, thousands, or possibly hundreds of thousands who do not present at hospital/GP. The actual figure could be much much lower.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement