Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Kalyke wrote: »
    One thousand, thousands?

one thousand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If Italy’s numbers keep going up daily, at what point can the official numbers not go higher because they can’t test enough people?

I mean if they can only test , for example, 2000 people a day, they can’t officially ever raise the amount of people with the virus more then 2000?! So for example if they tested 2000 yesterday and found 1797 cases, that would be an even bigger concern of what sort of numbers are actually infected?!

They’ve tested just over 23k and 10k are positive!!!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

rameire wrote: »
    Italy Cases
    2nd - 1,701
    3rd - 2,502 ( +801 )
    4th - 3,089 ( +587 )
    5th - 3,858 ( +769 )
    6th - 4,636 ( +778 )
    7th - 5,833 ( +1197 )
    8th - 7,375 ( +1542 )
    9th - 9,172 ( +1797 )
    10th - 10,149 ( +977 so far )

what's so far supposed to mean? the stats are released daily
    You won't get another update until tomorrow, that's the figure for today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Drumpot wrote: »
    If Italy’s numbers keep going up daily, at what point can the official numbers not go higher because they can’t test enough people?

I mean if they can only test , for example, 2000 people a day, they can’t officially ever raise the amount of people with the virus more then 2000?! So for example if they tested 2000 yesterday and found 1797 cases, that would be an even bigger concern of what sort of numbers are actually infected?!

How many tested in Ireland so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

deisedevil wrote: »
    How many tested in Ireland so far?

most they say is over 1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I can't remember exactly but China had their big bottleneck around 1500 -2000 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

daheff wrote: »
    theres always going to be a lag in the cases. If you think about it, and measures put in place today will take up to 14 days to feed through into the daily numbers (14 day incubation period).

So what did the Italians do 10 odd days ago? First lockdowns started around about 21st Feb...and that lockdowns only grew since then.

Hopefully they will start getting lower amounts of daily cases from now on in.
    Still think they are looking at a spike in the south in about 2 weeks though (all the northerns that got wind of the impending quarantine and headed south).

Iran had a large drop in new cases but shot back up today toward 900.

Results can only announced for those tested of course.

That applies to every country, if you don't test you don't know
    If the number of Italian new infected drops by 800 cases against the same 2K daily tests it's a good sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

rameire wrote: »
    Italy Cases
    2nd - 1,701
    3rd - 2,502 ( +801 )
    4th - 3,089 ( +587 )
    5th - 3,858 ( +769 )
    6th - 4,636 ( +778 )
    7th - 5,833 ( +1197 )
    8th - 7,375 ( +1542 )
    9th - 9,172 ( +1797 )
    10th - 10,149 ( +977 so far )

Following the same bell curve as China and South Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

oh dear,

some "experts" in France suggesting that they wait two weeks to see if the measures taken by Italy have worked.
    Nobody has the luxury to wait two weeks ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Italy's daily death total is shocking today. 168 deaths in a day is shocking. I hope to god it doesn't get that bad (proportionally) here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The bastards. It should've been €1,200 per person.
    US response is pitiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

is_that_so wrote: »
    Paddys-Day-220 virus!

It's Kung Flu!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

wadacrack wrote: »

Based on that we are probably about 2 weeks behind Italy. That's not a long time. Why don't we have the balls to implement some of the measures that have proven to work in containing this thing. Doing the four stage strategy. I know the government has started to address the problem but more is needed if we are to avoid the same fate. We have decided not to test enough people (criteria is ridiculously narrow) because the test might come back positive and we wouldn't be able to isolate everyone. The net effect is we let it go undetected and hit the wave when it comes. It's out there now and spreading.

The incubation period / asymptomatic cases / longevity on surfaces mean that this thing goes under the radar.

A wave hits and by then it's too late.
    • wait and see does not work
    • it spreads readily in the community (even with hand washing)
    • hospitals will get overwhlemed
    • people will die
    • testing is needed for all suspected cases or complete community isolation
    • the economic cost is far greater if we doing nothing

Easier to be first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

laurah591 wrote: »
    Or theyve slowed testing and people have slowed presenting given stuff that has been published recently 're capacity issues in Italy's healthcare

I hope I'm wrong and they have slowed spread

testing is not slowing

nearly 7000 tests were carried out today in Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Iran had a large drop in new cases but shot back up today toward 900.

Results can only announced for those tested of course.
    But do we have any clue about the measures or restrictions the iranian government is taking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This is the part people need to get there head around,

there are 9 confirmed cases, that is not saying how many cases there actually are.

The problem it would appear is that there are many cases going about until the first confirmation, by then the horse has already bolted.

Traveling to anywhere now should be halted, Moldova have taken a very serious approach at its outset on this,

No foreigners are permitted into the country if travelling from a country that has any confirmed infections, only Moldovans allowed to return.

Thats what needs to happen everywhere.
    At the moment, outside of a few hotpsots that have it bad such as Madrid, Northern Italy, and a couple other cluster areas, you should be ok to travel to and from somewhere. I wouldn't go for longer than a week though.

Anyone telling others they are grand to go to Budapest, Stockholm, etc because there are shag all or no confirmed cases there is boll***.

Firstly it doesn't factor in that the confirmed cases in some of those places may have infected half the city already and it just hasn't taken off.

Secondly you are going through an airport and that means you are in relatively close proximity to people who may have travelled from God knows where.
    Infected people may have touched a door in the jacks, may have touched a trolley, touched the keypad on a cash machine, handed over cash to a shop attendant who now passes it on to you.

And all of that is before you end up sitting in a tin can for a number of hours sharing air with hundreds of other folks who may have been in contact with god knows who or what.

And the best laugh could be that you end up somewhere when a quarantine lock down comes into effect.
    Sure it might sound great to be in nice hotel in Stockholm, but the novelty will soon wear thin when you can't leave that hotel room for weeks.
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    First case in Congo.
    100 cases across Africa now, mostly Egypt and Algeria.

I'm hoping that the slow uptick is due to climate, but I'm thinking it just might be due to less travel perhaps? That would be bad.

Lets just hope itself and ebola don't mate. :eek:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I wasn't expecting us to have tested 1000 people. RTE just said it there. Surely a good sign if we have 1000 tested and only ~30 confirmed cases? Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I can't remember exactly but China had their big bottleneck around 1500 -2000 mark.

Wasn't there 1 day China announced nearly 15k in 1 day? I think it was when they had changed the criteria for a positive case then had to backdate it. Still scared the feck out of me when I woke up to the news

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1237361566527426560?s=21

It could be spreading like crazy here, and I doubt Blindboy was protected by a plastic bag over his head that had holes in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wasn't expecting us to have tested 1000 people. RTE just said it there. Surely a good sign if we have 1000 tested and only ~30 confirmed cases? Or am I wrong?

That's appalling compared to everywhere else if it is only 1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

jmayo wrote: »

Lets just hope itself and ebola don't mate. :eek:

Last Ebola patient discharged in DR Congo
    The last patient being treated for Ebola in DR Congo has been discharged and there have been no new cases for two weeks.

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/newsfeed/2020/03/ebola-patient-discharged-dr-congo-200309090006232.html

RobertKK wrote: »

It could be spreading like crazy here, and I doubt Blindboy was protected by a plastic bag over his head that had holes in it.
    Blindboy tweeted about this earlier, the headline is extremely misleading. ~10/15 people were told to self-isolate.

Based on that we are probably about 2 weeks behind Italy. That's not a long time. Why don't we have the balls to implement some of the measures that have proven to work in containing this thing. Doing the four stage strategy. I know the government has started to address the problem but more is needed if we are to avoid the same fate. We have decided not to test enough people (criteria is ridiculously narrow) because the test might come back positive and we wouldn't be able to isolate everyone. The net effect is we let it go undetected and hit the wave when it comes. It's out there now and spreading.

The incubation period / asymptomatic cases / longevity on surfaces mean that this thing goes under the radar.

A wave hits and by then it's too late.
    • wait and see does not work
    • it spreads readily in the community (even with hand washing)
    • hospitals will get overwhlemed
    • people will die
    • testing is needed for all suspected cases or complete community isolation
    • the economic cost is far greater than doing nothing

Easier to be first

In other news, after the government, DoH and HSE having been branded cowards and resigning en masse, a new coronavirus czar emerged from the internet!

otnomart wrote: »
    testing is not slowing

nearly 7000 tests were carried out today in Italy

That's a lot of tests. Today's drop looks like they are starting to see the end of new undetected cases. I'm expecting a surge in the south of Italy now, after that they'll be fine
    I dont know what we are waiting for here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Coronavirus death toll in Italy jumps to 631 from 463

Italy's death rate now 6.2%

https://www.rt.com/news/482767-italy-coronavirus-death-toll-again/

That the same 1000 that we had tested at the start of last week?

That there is still only 1000 tested when the contact tracing for each of the 22 cases as of yesterday is worrying.

The UHL, CUH staff, the glasnevin school and the band that were exposed surely account for a huge portion of those?

The NAS have been testing 80-100 per day since they started, couple that with the hospital tests countrywide and quite a number of tests are hitting NVLS daily with no indication yet as to there actual testing capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Sam McConkey must have a camera crew following him around the place .

Last Ebola patient discharged in DR Congo
    The last patient being treated for Ebola in DR Congo has been discharged and there have been no new cases for two weeks.

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/newsfeed/2020/03/ebola-patient-discharged-dr-congo-200309090006232.html

Lets sleeping dog lie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Only another 4 here, all close contact. Still only the two/three community cases so no real spread through the public as of yet. Can see why they are telling us to get imon with our lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

RobertKK wrote: »

Anyone going to that sh1te could do with being isolated permanently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

1600, 1700 tests possibly carried out.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

1600 - 1700 tests carried out, according to rte news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Unearthly wrote: »
    Wasn't there 1 day China announced nearly 15k in 1 day? I think it was when they had changed the criteria for a positive case then had to backdate it. Still scared the feck out of me when I woke up to the news

Yes.

Feb 12th.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

RTE have been saying that for about a week. Either nobody is telling RTE that there's been more testing done, or they're fibbing, or... no tests are being done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Over 100 tests carried out daily in Ireland. Are we supposed to be impressed with those figures ?

They've carried out 1000 only.

Those kind of figures does not inspire me. I reckon there are quite of lot of people with CV19 that hasnt been tested .

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Spain has forbidden direct flights from Italy since midnight until the 25th of March.

Always find Emma just a bit too excitable in her reports!

that's great news

I wish they told us what areas are being tested

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Where is this going? I have the option to work from home is needed, I'm just not sure if I need to yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Relieved it's only 4. However I fear that it'll get higher once Paddy's weekend is over.

Saying that I think the people of Ireland are generally being vigilant - I was in my local gym (small with very few members - only one other person there when I was there) and they had about ten bottles of Dettol spray and cloths around the place with instructions to wipe down any equipment you used before and after use.

Hand sanitiser and wipes in supermarkets.

Parades and flights cancelled. Companies making people stay home.

We're doing what we can.

Edit - I realise it is 10 and I was mistaken with 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Scotty # wrote: »
    Heavy smokers, like the Chinese.

I blame the Marlboro logos plastered all over Ferraris until the 2000s.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Where is this going? I have the option to work from home is needed, I'm just not sure if I need to yet?
    Wait and see seems to be the message so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Cw85 wrote: »
    Only another 4 here, all close contact. Still only the two/three community cases so no real spread through the public as of yet. Can see why they are telling us to get imon with our lives.

How do we know? If they're only testing those who had contact and those who've been to Italy and nobody else. We are not really doing many tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I wrote an article earlier today for Irish Tech News on how businesses can prepare for Covid-19. It can be read here https://irishtechnews.ie/preparing-your-business-for-covid-19/ I also did a podcast about how to prepare for remote working in the face of Covid-19 and it can be heard here https://irishtechnews.ie/lisa-murphy-covid-19-remote-working-podcast/ and also iTunes, Soundcloud, Spotify and Stitcher.

Relieved it's only 4. However I fear that it'll get higher once Paddy's weekend is over.

Saying that I think the people of Ireland are generally being vigilant - I was in my local gym (small with very few members - only one other person there when I was there) and they had about ten bottles of Dettol spray and cloths around the place with instructions to wipe down any equipment you used before and after use.

Hand sanitiser and wipes in supermarkets.

Parades and flights cancelled. Companies making people stay home.

We're doing what we can.

WHERE?? i cant find any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Over 100 tests carried out daily in Ireland. Are we supposed to be impressed with those figures ?

They've carried out 1000 only.

Those kind of figures does not inspire me. I reckon there are quite of lot of people with CV19 that hasnt been tested .

Who are they supposed to be testing? Do you think they should just pick the first 1000 they see and test them for optics reasons? To be seen to be doing something so that the likes of you are "impressed"?

Back of the beermat maths would indicate a testing capacity of 50-60 per day on those numbers versus known inbound tests of likely double that!

Take the NAS test total as 80 and hospitals as 60bor so!!

That really highlights an immediate capability gap.

I'm sure one of our medico-scientific heads can correct me on that.
    But.
    From those quick sums on my part, show there is a pile of backlogged tests building up in the system before we got peak outbreak.

Cw85 wrote: »
    Source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement