Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

10 new cases RoI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

This stuff annoys the sh*te out of me.

So this person was only tested this morning, had a positive result by lunchtime and you're broadcasting it on boards? Along with details that may identify him.

If we were taking our number of cases from reports from Boards we'd be up on about 500. But there isn't. Because people lie, they fabricate. They hear a half truth and run with it, causing panic.

I work in a hospital and im appalled that so called "hospital workers" are spreading rumours and details of cases to their family and friends.

If you're a healthcare worker, then the care and confidentiality of the patient comes first, always.

Calm down. They don't have a result yet, where did I say that? I was responding to CW1985. They've told family, friends and it's common knowledge. They WhatsApped it to 2 groups.

Also before your little bout of hysteria did it occur to you I might have changed details a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

That’s the first double value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

No community transmission cases. All either close contact or travel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I see so much people going around the place and have no problem touching their face. If you have an itch on your face, ignore it, it actually goes away on its own.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    10 new cases. RtE

Did they say where?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

amor3 wrote: »
    There is no numbers released for the Republic yet. Rte expecting a briefing soon.

There is now. 10 new cases today. This is only going in one direction.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

froog wrote: »
    what if everyone wore a handkerchief mask all day every day? disinfect them twice a day. that's gonna stop a hell of a lot of droplets.

it's cheap and every country in the world can do it.

5928c24dc426e93f76e6e3cde61f948d.jpg

I believe for masks to be of any protection they need some filter in them?
    It may make you feel safer covering your mouth and nose with a scarf but I don’t think it’s an effective barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Has anyone mentioned the 10 new cases?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

5 contact
    5 travel

No new community cases. Yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

You have

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A male healthcare worker in the south who contracted the illness in hospital
    A female healthcare worker in the south who contracted the illness in hospital
    Three men from the south – associated with travel from affected area
    One man in the west – linked to contact with a confirmed case
    A woman in the west – associated with contact with a confirmed case
    A woman in the south – associated with contact with a confirmed case
    A man in the east who had travelled to an affected area
    A woman in the east who had travelled to an affected area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

froog wrote: »
    if every single person in a country wore masks at all times wouldn't this have a dramatic impact on new cases. not protecting people - but massively reducing infected spreading??

It wouldn't,but it might act as a placebo to the easily frightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

10 is big for a small country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Lol. I quickly deleted my post when I saw the 14 posts above me.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

This is actually great news the second digit is a zero.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

I see so much people going around the place and have no problem touching their face. If you have an itch on your face, ignore it, it actually goes away on its own.

It’s actually pretty hard to do.
    You have to be actively be thinking about it, the moment you relax...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The man is so calm and clear in his communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

I'm hearing (on twitter, from a local GP) that there are 5 cases in South Galway. He's begging the Govt to close schools in the area.
    I can't understand how a GP would put this out there unless he has some evidence?
    The numbers being reported don't add up. OK, maybe he's counting some of the Clare cases as it's close, but still.
    It's the non-transparency that's infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

10 Cases.

Amazingly the HSE plan of pretend its not there and hope it goes away has failed spectacularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    It may make you feel safer covering your mouth and nose with a scarf but I don’t think it’s an effective barrier.

If she sneezed would it not contain and shorten the travel of any thing expelled from her mouth and nose?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

My youngest daughter goes to a university in Washington, DC, USA. She’s home for spring break and was just notified via email from the university that because of coronavirus they're shifting to online classes for three weeks after the spring break ends. They said go home if you’re at school and stay home if you’re already home. Will have to make the 8 hour round trip on Sunday to retrieve her books, things needed for classes, and clothing.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

No community transmission cases. All either close contact or travel.

That's either great news, that it's not really out in the community. Or it's not being reported because community transmission isn't being tested as it falls outside testing criteria, and it's gonna explode soon.

Really really hope it's the former

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

It is better than nothing but most of all if you sneeze or cough, you will limit the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

lawred2 wrote: »
    Those wanting to be impressed solely by numbers based on nothing but feelings...

No. Not the case. Being seen to be proactive and tackling it head on is what should be impressive and the objective of the HSE.

Part of that is more testing. Identifying cases . Which in turn leads to more preventive measure . Sure why dont we just test 10 people a day , by your logic numbers mean nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

10 new today

3 of the cases in the south self-isolated as soon as they arrived back into the country. Heard that today from employees at the companys.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

It’s actually pretty hard to do.
    You have to be actively be thinking about it, the moment you relax...

Ya ive been trying not to touch my face and as you saybits hard to do. You have done before you realise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Lord TSC wrote: »
    A male healthcare worker in the south who contracted the illness in hospital
    A female healthcare worker in the south who contracted the illness in hospital
    Three men from the south – associated with travel from affected area
    One man in the west – linked to contact with a confirmed case
    A woman in the west – associated with contact with a confirmed case
    A woman in the south – associated with contact with a confirmed case
    A man in the east who had travelled to an affected area
    A woman in the east who had travelled to an affected area

The female health worker is from the east.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Time to close the border with cork.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the number is binary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

no it's not to protect the wearer. its to stop transmission. that handkerchief will catch an awful big number of droplets throughout the day. if literally everyone is wearing them it has to have a huge impact on new cases. it's not fool proof obviously but it would slow this down big time. and everyone could be wearing them tomorrow for little or no effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well yes it was 10 new cases but it was five from travel which is being stopped and five from the already known cases so that’s somewhat(but not totally) encouraging but still 34 cases confirmed is 34 more than we probably expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I'm watching RTE news. They've said nothing? The press conference hasn't even happened yet. It's 4 in Northern Ireland.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=191504152139558&id=257558294273180&notif_t=live_video&notif_id=1583864435016268&ref=m_notif

For the live update going on now.

10 confirmed cases announced today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

yasmina wrote: »
    I'm hearing (on twitter, from a local GP) that there are 5 cases in South Galway. He's begging the Govt to close schools in the area.
    I can't understand how a GP would put this out there unless he has some evidence?
    The numbers being reported don't add up. OK, maybe he's counting some of the Clare cases as it's close, but still.

Galway has been a known issue since last week.
    There are a few doctors crying out for school closures in any area where community transmission has occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's pretty clear to me what's going on. Cases are increasing and we are still in the containment phase. Holahan is not convinced that it will prove effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

6 of the 10 in the south presumably cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

bekker wrote: »
    5 [new cases] using indices of 1.235, 7 would require 1.292 way outside worldwide (-China) range.
    low numbers the last few days, i presume they were an anomaly and we'll be back on to the trajectory we were on soon

ok, i was way off with 17 / 18, but ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think that's a week or two old, original caption was that the patient was being transferred and they stopped to take in the view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Part of me is thinking you are going to be way better off being one of the first to get this here in Ireland.
    You know like all those fookers that are able to afford to go off sking to Northern Italy could end up being the luckier ones in the long run.

Because if we end up with numbers anything like Italy, we are well and truly fooked.
    Our emergency health service is already a joke, more often than not held together with sticking plasters, staff making do.

And to top it off we are absolutely shyte at planning anything in this country.
    Leo and the gombeens should have been proactive, well ahead of this and call the parades off days before they eventually did.

That type of prevaricating will eventually cost lives.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

emmaro wrote: »
    10 is big for a small country.

It's actually not at all high for the size of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

notobtuse wrote: »
    My youngest daughter goes to a university in Washington, DC, USA. She’s home for spring break and was just notified via email from the university that because of coronavirus they're shifting to online classes for three weeks after the spring break ends. They said go home if you’re at school and stay home if you’re already home. Will have to make the 8 hour round trip on Sunday to retrieve her books, things needed for classes, and clothing.

Anyone there that could courier them home? Surely one of her housemates has to go back to get their stuff too, albeit from less of a distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I say block the ports and airports and leave those who went to Cheltham over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Sometimes being the biggest county isn't the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

is_that_so wrote: »
    The man is so calm and clear in his communication.

The CMO ? He is in fairness. He’s stating the facts as they are known and not saying anything he can’t back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

OK, so maybe those new cases (reported as I typed the above) could contribute to what he's talking about.

The schools need to close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Theres no community spread cases as the HSE refuse to test for community spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

ok, i was way off with 17 / 18, but ...

Interesting,if Bekker is right then 10 cases would be far in excess of the norm (less China).

6 of the 10 in the south presumably cork
    I'm confused as to whether they're including Limerick in the south or west. Afaik the first case they announced in the west was Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Fergal Bowers always looks desperately ill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement