Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

skimpydoo wrote: »
    He?? Nadine is female.

Apologies for my typo. Edited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭little bess

fritzelly wrote: »
    Now go watch World War Z and you're ready for anything

Read the book, even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

namloc1980 wrote: »
    She was in 10 Downing Street last Thursday apparently with Boris and started feeling ill on Friday. I'd probably have same reaction.
    Boris looked a bit peaky yesterday. Somebody pointed that out to me when he was giving that conference on the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Great news, at least on my side!

Mother-in-law has decided not to come, and instead fly back to her homeland, Argentina, tomorrow. Best decision really instead of lumping about in Italy or ****ing our family over in Dublin. A huge sense of relief off my chest anyway.

What happens if Argentina don't let her back in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can't believe people are saying the gov is making decisions to protect the economy.

This is going to have a major impact on the economy one way or the other.

The world will be lucky to avoid another recession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Listening to Michael Osterholm on the Joe Rogan Experience and it's scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Test test test, Korea has and the USA hasn't. The difference will surely become apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

An immediate €50 euro deduction in dole and pension payments?

How would that work for people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The latest Joe Rogan Experience on YouTube is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

dublin99 wrote: »
    You have to differentiate between surgical mask (one way protection) and respirators without valve (two way protection).

Surgical mask will work if EVERYONE wears one including asymptomatic spreaders, as in the case in Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan. In any event, it will reduce the risk (from droplets) if someone sneezes or cough near you. You are also less likely to touch your mouth and nose with your (contaminated) hands when wearing a mask.

Respirators (ffp2 and 3) can filter out the virus but only if properly fitted and more importantly, put on and taken off with sanitised hands. They are however very uncomfortable to wear over an extended period of time.

Here is a good explanation of the various types/specs:

https://fastlifehacks.com/n95-vs-ffp/

The truth is there aren't enough masks/respirators for everyone so they tell us they are useless. The Asian cities where everyone was supplied with masks all did really well after the initial outbreak.

i bought a half face ffp3 respirator about a month ago...although it looks pretty hard core and i don't see myself wearing it in public as yet...but who knows where all this will end up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Great article in New York Post about Farr’s law and the decline of this virus

https://nypost.com/2020/03/08/coronavirus-going-to-hit-its-peak-and-start-falling-sooner-than-you-think/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Cheltenham was a good idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

statesaver wrote: »
    Listening to Michael Osterholm on the Joe Rogan Experience and it's scary

Don't listen to Joe Rogan.
    He's an American fear jockey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What possible benefit would that have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Read the book, even better.

I wonder are amazon and other booksellers seeing a big rise in dystopian fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Where would the deduction go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

NIMAN wrote: »
    I can't believe people are saying the gov is making decisions to protect the economy.

This is going to have a major impact on the economy one way or the other.

The world will be lucky to avoid another recession.

A recession is a certainty in my eyes and one that will be worse than the 13 years ago.
    A lot of economic activity will grind to a halt in the next few weeks and we are starting to see that with the hospitality industries already.

I just can’t understand why the minister doesn’t book out and eat in all these restaurants that are experiencing cancellations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Daz_ wrote: »
    I just watched the movie Contagion.. I really shouldn’t have

I wouldn't worry, Contagion suggested a death total of about 190 million, worst case for C19 is only about 140 million. And also the illness is not as nasty a way to go.

What possible benefit would that have?

Don't feed nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

faceman wrote: »

https://nypost.com/2020/03/08/coronavirus-going-to-hit-its-peak-and-start-falling-sooner-than-you-think/

Great article spot on too. It’s definitely hit it’s peak already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Washington State reports two more coronavirus deaths, bringing the total up to 24 and 267 cases.

6th patient dies from Cov-19 in UK

US CDC Chief: "the US is beyond virus containment in some areas"

Washington State considering "Rapid Lockdown", new benefits announced for workers

Mortality rate in Lombardy hits 8% - higher than Wuhan

Lagarde calls on European governments to embrace "rapid fiscal action."

Austria, Switzerland close borders with Italy

NJ Governor declares state of emergency

North Carolina declares state of emergency

Air Canada latest airline to suspend routes to Italy as traffic expected to plunge due to quarantine

Mass. declares state of emergency after confirming 51 'presumptive' cases; Boston cancels St. Patricks Day Parade

NYC Mayor says outbreak "evolving very rapidly"

Harvard moves classes online

Xi takes victory lap in Wuhan

Trump says had 'great' meeting with Repubs on stimulus plan, but no details released

Italy reports 36% jump in deaths, cases climb above 10,000

Three Canadians test positive in Calgary

Spain suspends parliament after lawmaker infected

Austria total cases hits 182

First case reported in Philly

EU suspends parliament indefinitely

Italian government suspends mortgage payments across country

CDC says nearly 5,000 tests have been conducted in US through Monday

National Guard is deploying to New Rochelle, area businesses, schools will close, Cuomo says

New Jersey confirms first death

Trump arrives on Capitol Hill to discuss stimulus plan with Republicans

Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DonnieCorko

bb12 wrote: »
    i bought a half face ffp3 respirator about a month ago...although it looks pretty hard core and i don't see myself wearing it in public as yet...but who knows where all this will end up.

Me too as it was the only protection mask i could get online. We should shop in the same stores so we dont look too oddballish. I even asked my friend whos in Shanghai if she saw anyone wearing similar and she hadnt. I also learnt that they arent used by medical personell for the most part as they are very hard to disinfect so more likely to cause spread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hickeys to buy a third of a pack of face masks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Nadine Dorries, Tory health minister has tested positive for Coronavirus.

I think Western officials are exposing their health by not protect protective equipment when they are exposed to many people or attend potentially more infectious environments. For example if you look at recent pictures of Asian officials visiting hospitals where Covid-19 patients are treated (maybe the best place to get the virus), they almost always wear masks. While Western official absolutely never wear one on similar pictures.

It probaly in order to protect the "mask are not useful for the general public" motto, but the difference is very obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

My goodness!

Coronavirus: Health minister Nadine Dorries tests positive

2 minutes ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51827356

• Advertisement

Into ensuring the self-employed and small businesses can continue to trade out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭political analyst

The whole of Italy is on lockdown.

I think you'll find no one gives a flying fiddlers fùck about the leaving or Junior Cert if this kicks off here .

Would you dare say that to the students and their parents? They constitute a huge part of the population. You'd get a lot of eggs thrown at you if you dared say it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Loughc wrote: »
    The slow spread rate of the virus in Ireland seems to be a good indication.

The company I work for just sent an email saying they envision no closure days due to coronavirus so that’s something. Yay. :(

Absolutely impossible for any one to state that categorically as how do they know one of the employees wont get infected through community spread in the next week or two and pass it onto others??? Sounds like the kind of Shiite middle-management comes out with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Great article spot on too. It’s definitely hit it’s peak already.

Yeah defo.........just wondering what scientific evidence you have used to arrive at your conclusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

anyone have link to the today's HSE briefng video

• Advertisement

Funny how lots of cases turning in politicians world wide, maybe cause they meet so much with other people, idk

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1237507876345786370?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Into ensuring the self-employed and small businesses can continue to trade out of this.

Added benefit of preventing dole heads spending it in a busy pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Don't listen to Joe Rogan.
    He's an American fear jockey.

Yeah but the guy he had on was pretty highly qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Me too as it was the only protection mask i could get online. We should shop in the same stores so we dont look too oddballish. I even asked my friend whos in Shanghai if she saw anyone wearing similar and she hadnt. I also learnt that they arent used by medical personell for the most part as they are very hard to disinfect so more likely to cause spread

yeah i can understand that...like how are you supposed to disinfect the filters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The Italian mayor of some city just said don't delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Has to be a serious case to me made for not leaving the morons who went to Cheltenham back into the country? Let them be rounded up and quarantined in a tent city in the middle of the racecourse , no loss. Insanely selfish on the part of the punters and pure greed from the organisers.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Added benefit of preventing dole heads spending it in a busy pub.

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

josip wrote: »
    What happens if Argentina don't let her back in?

Dont cry for her 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

faceman wrote: »

That article was written by Michael Fumento a right wing business mouthpiece and lobbyist for Monsanto wouldn’t believe a word of it.
    From Wikipedia below
    42]

Monsanto controversy Edit
    On January 13, 2006, Scripps Howard announced it would terminate its business relationship with Fumento and cease carrying his column. At issue were opinion columns Fumento had written concerning the biotechnology firm Monsanto Company while working at the Hudson Institute. The connection between Fumento and Monsanto was first revealed by investigative reporter Eamon Javers in Business Week,[43] although nowhere does it say there was a quid pro quo as many articles and blogs subsequently claimed.[44] General manager Peter Copeland explained that Fumento

did not tell SHNS editors, and therefore we did not tell our readers, that in 1999 Hudson received a $60,000 grant from Monsanto. ... Our policy is that he should have disclosed that information. We apologize to our readers.[45]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

What is the projected trajectory and peak number expected for Italian cases now that they are flattening the curve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Anyone know are dettol wipes still available....I don't see them in any supermarkets lately? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BloodBath wrote: »
    They already postponed Saint Patricks day. They didn't even cancel mardi gras in Sydney despite their massive Asian population and travel from China.

Reactive measures when and where they are needed. Not baton down the hatches nationwide for 6 months.
    Australia had 10 active cases the day before Mardi Gras. Maybe half were in NSW. Cases might as well be international (relative to Europe)
    People coming from Wuhan we’re self isolated. Easier to get people to comply when they’re not losing pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

loughside wrote: »
    My goodness!

2 minutes ago

That's surely a reason to limit the House of Commons then as that chamber mean MPs are sitting very close to each other. I wonder would it happen here in the dail even though each TD is sitting in a separate seat. Hopefullly it doesn't come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

And they must be really hard to breath into.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Yeah but the guy he had on was pretty highly qualified.

Fair enough. He does have some good guests.
    Might check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

old_aussie wrote: »
    Hope other countries follow Italy and close all borders.

Simon Harris appears to have no rational idea.

The people are dead, but the economy is alive.

This is not solely up to Simon Harris and to be honest I would hate to be him right now. This is totally unchartered territory.

I sure the government are heeding the best possible advice under the circumstances.

If you lockdown too early people won't listen, if you lockdown now how long do you do it for?

Start closing schools etc and you have a huge knock of effect to deal with, probably going to lose essential medical staff and front line workers who decide to stay home with their kids (and then all the staff who support that).

Businesses will have to close up and that will also impact vital services such as GP clinics, supermarkets, distribution, supply and manufacturing across the country.

They will do it if there's no other choice, they won't do it just to make people feel safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

7 new cases in Canada (Alberta), all involving people who were travelling in either France, the Netherlands, Egypt, Iran, Taiwan, Germany, Malaysia, Trinidad and Tobago, Panama, Philippines and the United States

At least 30-40 cases worldwide today of tourists becoming infected after travelling to countries with no known community level transmission. UK, Germany, France, Egypt and the USA regularly popping up as some of such places. It is looking increasingly likely that USA and Egypt have very significant epidemics going on nationwide currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

loughside wrote: »
    My goodness!

2 minutes ago

I thought you posted good news and not my goodness first time I read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Turkey reports their first case and cancels leave for health workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think it varies from company to company. The company I work for said they will not shut under any circumstances and if anyone self isolates will only get the government sick pay and face disciplinary action upon return.

You should name and shame the company (anonymously obviously) and they will face the backlash of the public for suggesting they would punish someone for looking after their health.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement