Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

niallo27 wrote: »
    I thought you posted good news and not my goodness first time I read it.

You were right the first time, she's an awful piece of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

wakka12 wrote: »
    7 new cases in Canada (Alberta), all involving people who were travelling in either France, the Netherlands, Egypt, Iran, Taiwan, Germany, Malaysia, Trinidad and Tobago, Panama, Philippines and the United States

At least 30-40 cases worldwide today of tourists becoming infected after travelling to countries with no known community level transmission. UK, Germany, France, Egypt and the USA regularly popping up as some of such places

In my opinion, it may be the planes that are guilty of efficently distributing the virus through air recirculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

tillyfilly wrote: »
    What is the projected trajectory and peak number expected for Italian cases now that they are flattening the curve?

Next they ll have to Gleam the Cube

1980s-movie-gleaming-the-cube.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

This is not solely up to Simon Harris and to be honest I would hate to be him right now. This is totally unchartered territory.

I sure the government are heeding the best possible advice under the circumstances.

If you lockdown too early people won't listen, if you lockdown now how long do you do it for?

Start closing schools etc and you have a huge knock of effect to deal with, probably going to lose essential medical staff and front line workers who decide to stay home with their kids (and then all the staff who support that).

Businesses will have to close up and that will also impact vital services such as GP clinics, supermarkets, distribution, supply and manufacturing across the country.

They will do it if there's no other choice, they won't do it just to make people feel safer.

Simon Harris should be going door to door treating people. The fact that he isn’t makes him a terrible minister for health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Funny how lots of cases turning in politicians world wide, maybe cause they meet so much with other people, idk

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1237507876345786370?s=19

What did she say that is given funny and abusive comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

ixoy wrote: »
    Italy closed all borders at a much later stage. It's hardly an example to be praised.
    You'd also swear only Ireland has its borders open and its schools.

Don't know how you read into my post that I was praising Italy.

I'm not praising Italy.

Why wait till it gets out of control like in Italy before you do something about the spread.

Other countries, not just Ireland, should shut borders now, and be two weeks in front in the fight against the spread of the virus.

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Has to be a serious case to me made for not leaving the morons who went to Cheltenham back into the country? Let them be rounded up and quarantined in a tent city in the middle of the racecourse , no loss. Insanely selfish on the part of the punters and pure greed from the organisers.

Why Cheltenham in particular? Why not all people travelling? Why not be triggered by all English football going ahead?

You’re not the first person to mention it, it’s just baffling why people care so much about that one event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

faceman wrote: »
    Great article in New York Post about Farr’s law and the decline of this virus

https://nypost.com/2020/03/08/coronavirus-going-to-hit-its-peak-and-start-falling-sooner-than-you-think/

The guy who wrote this clearly doesn't understand what China has done and sill is doing to curve the progression. He is assuming it just happened.

He is also largly basing his argument on the completly fallacious statement that "clearly, flu is vastly more contagious than the new coronavirus".

However the clear consensus is that it is the other way around and Covid-19 is in fact significantly more contagious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Simon Harris should be going door to door treating people. The fact that he isn’t makes him a terrible minister for health

No need for these sarcastic posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

tom1ie wrote: »
    Yeah defo.........just wondering what scientific evidence you have used to arrive at your conclusion?

Waterford Whispers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mortality rate (as of earlier today)

China 80,761 3,136 Asia
    Italy 10,149 631 Europe
    Iran 8,042 291 Asia
    South Korea 7,513 58 Asia
    France 1,784 33 Europe
    Spain 1,674 35 Europe
    Germany 1,437 2 Europe
    Japan (+Diamond Princess) 1,277 17 Asia
    United States 787 28 North America
    Switzerland 497 3 Europe
    Netherlands 382 4 Europe
    United Kingdom 373 6 Europe
    Sweden 351 0 Europe
    Norway 304 0 Europe
    Belgium 267 0 Europe
    Denmark 262 0 Europe
    Austria 182 0 Europe
    Singapore 166 0 Asia
    Malaysia 129 0 Asia
    Hong Kong 121 3 Asia
    Bahrain 110 0 Asia
    Australia 103 3 Australia/Oceania
    Greece 89 0 Europe
    Canada 80 1 North America
    United Arab Emirates 74 0 Asia
    Iraq 71 7 Asia
    Iceland 69 0 Europe
    Kuwait 69 0 Asia
    Egypt 59 1 Africa
    Israel 58 0 Asia
    Czech Republic (Czechia) 58 0 Europe
    India 56 0 Asia
    Thailand 53 1 Asia
    Lebanon 52 1 Asia
    San Marino 51 2 Europe
    Taiwan 47 1 Asia
    Portugal 41 0 Europe
    Finland 40 0 Europe
    Ireland 34 0 Europe
    Philippines 33 1 Asia
    Brazil 31 0 South America
    Vietnam 31 0 Asia
    Slovenia 31 0 Europe
    Romania 28 0 Europe
    Indonesia 27 0 Asia
    State of Palestine 26 0 Asia
    Qatar 24 0 Asia
    Georgia 23 0 Asia
    Poland 21 0 Europe
    Russia 20 0 Europe
    Algeria 20 0 Africa
    Saudi Arabia 20 0 Asia
    Pakistan 19 0 Asia
    Oman 18 0 Asia
    Argentina 17 1 South America
    Chile 17 0 South America
    Ecuador 15 0 South America
    Croatia 14 0 Europe
    Estonia 13 0 Europe
    Costa Rica 13 0 North America
    Hungary 12 0 Europe
    Azerbaijan 11 0 Asia
    Peru 11 0 South America
    Macao 10 0 Asia
    Albania 10 0 Europe
    Belarus 9 0 Europe
    Latvia 8 0 Europe
    Mexico 7 0 North America
    North Macedonia 7 0 Europe
    Slovakia 7 0 Europe
    South Africa 7 0 Africa
    Tunisia 6 0 Africa
    Maldives 6 0 Asia
    Brunei 6 0 Asia
    New Zealand 5 0 Australia/Oceania
    Luxembourg 5 0 Europe
    Dominican Republic 5 0 North America
    Afghanistan 5 0 Asia
    French Guiana 5 0 South America
    Malta 5 0 Europe
    Bosnia and Herzegovina 5 0 Europe
    Serbia 5 0 Europe
    Senegal 4 0 Africa
    Bulgaria 4 0 Europe
    Morocco 3 1 Africa
    Cambodia 3 0 Asia
    Colombia 3 0 South America
    Moldova 3 0 Europe
    Bangladesh 3 0 Asia
    Nigeria 2 0 Africa
    Saint Martin 2 0 North America
    Faeroe Islands 2 0 Europe
    Channel Islands 2 0 Europe
    Paraguay 2 0 South America
    Cyprus 2 0 Asia
    Burkina Faso 2 0 Africa
    Martinique 2 0 North America
    Cameroon 2 0 Africa
    Sri Lanka 1 0 Asia
    Armenia 1 0 Asia
    Ukraine 1 0 Europe
    Andorra 1 0 Europe
    Nepal 1 0 Asia
    Lithuania 1 0 Europe
    Jordan 1 0 Asia
    Monaco 1 0 Europe
    Saint Barthelemy 1 0 caribbean
    Liechtenstein 1 0 Europe
    Togo 1 0 Africa
    Mongolia 1 0 Asia
    Holy See 1 0 Europe
    Bhutan 1 0 Asia
    Gibraltar 1 0 Europe
    Panama 1 0 North America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

This thread would have you paranoid. My job entails calling from house to house and i find people never tell you they are sick ( incase you don’t call). The last few days on and off i feel a little caught at back of throat that i find my self having to clear with coughs every so often. It would have you wondering could it be it, paranoia sets it :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Simon Harris made the important point about right measures at the right time. There's no point in announcing all sorts of curfews and lockdowns if people don't believe there's a big enough risk. Many just won't comply. Whereas all evidence this week is that the government is softening people up for stronger measures..

Simon Harris has been wrong several times already. The earlier you lockdown the better. We simply do not know who is carrying this right now and because of the refusal to cancel flights to and from Italy there's likely hundreds with it.

When you fail to take early steps liking banning flights you will always be on the backfoot. Then you end up having to take extreme measures later such as locking down cities because you've lost control of the number of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The US will very soon be the 8th country worldwide to reach 1000 cases after a 30% increase in numbers today, with two major outbreaks in the North West and North East of the country.

Greece, Canada, Iceland and Israel will soon be the 23rd, 24th, 25th and 26th countries to reach 100 cases worldwide

Among the many publications that should be banned from quotation or citation in this forum is definitely the New York Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

regarding Farr's law, all it says is epidemics tend to follow a bell curve. that's it. when this thing is over and it will be over at some point, the trends will look like a bell curve. the question is how long will the curve be spread over and how many deaths will it take.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Harris is a great minister of health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is not solely up to Simon Harris and to be honest I would hate to be him right now. This is totally unchartered territory.

I sure the government are heeding the best possible advice under the circumstances.

If you lockdown too early people won't listen, if you lockdown now how long do you do it for?

Start closing schools etc and you have a huge knock of effect to deal with, probably going to lose essential medical staff and front line workers who decide to stay home with their kids (and then all the staff who support that).

Businesses will have to close up and that will also impact vital services such as GP clinics, supermarkets, distribution, supply and manufacturing across the country.

They will do it if there's no other choice, they won't do it just to make people feel safer.
    He has wisely been kept away from the cameras a good bit.
    I don't really think someone who didn't manage to finished a degree in journalism and french...is really qualified to manage the situation....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The fact that he's the Health Minister, NOT in anyway experienced in the running of the economy of a country but it's the economy he' seem most concerned about.

A farrier carrying on like he's a jockey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

2586191821323370496.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

wakka12 wrote: »
    The US will very soon be the 8th country worldwide to reach 1000 cases after a 30% increase in numbers today

The US is going to have a big problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    This thread would have you paranoid. My job entails calling from house to house and i find people never tell you they are sick ( incase you don’t call). The last few days on and off i feel a little caught at back of throat that i find my self having to clear with coughs every so often. It would have you wondering could it be it, paranoia sets it :-/

People have to cough for many reason. Worrying unnecessarily achieves very little Micky. Obviously that's easy for me to say but it's a point that in general holds true.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

old_aussie wrote: »
    Don't know how you read into my post that I was praising Italy.

I'm not praising Italy.
    Apologies then - there's a lot of posters reacting like Ireland's way behind other countries responses and it's a bit tiring so I'm getting a trigger finger! By all accounts, we should aim to be better than them if we can but we're not really any worse either. The UK seems to be having a more laissez faire view on big crowds for example and it too is in the position of being an island.
    The balance between shutting down shop and maintaining some functioning economy (which is also important too!) is proving difficult for everyone.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    No need for these sarcastic posts.

I feel that there is.

It helps to ridicule the pointless nonsense being spouted by those who don’t seem to understand how gov departments & ministers work.

The logic being applied is idiotic and deserves to be parodied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    And they must be really hard to breath into.

I used to have to wear them for 12 hour shifts, most of them can be dissembled, the mask itself, filters, retainer piece, headgear and diaphragm can usually be seperated and washed, we used to wash them at the start of every shift with warm water and then give them a wipe of a disinfectant.

They are not hard to breathe through really, you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Why Cheltenham in particular? Why not all people travelling? Why not be triggered by all English football going ahead?

You’re not the first person to mention it, it’s just baffling why people care so much about that one event.

Packed crowd, lots of money handling (bad), unhygienic punters on a 4 day bender engaging in all sorts of degenerate behaviour. Way worse than football matches(which of course should be cancelled also)
    And most importantly at least 10000 of them are Irishand will come back here to **** it up here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I thought Simon came across well tonight tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

China 80,761 3,136 Asia
    Italy 10,149 631 Europe
    Iran 8,042 291 Asia
    France 1,784 33 Europe
    Spain 1,674 35 Europe
    Germany 1,437 2 Europe
    Switzerland 497 3 Europe
    Netherlands 382 4 Europe
    Sweden 351 0 Europe
    Norway 304 0 Europe
    Belgium 267 0 Europe
    Denmark 262 0 Europe
    Austria 182 0 Europe
    Singapore 166 0 Asia
    Malaysia 129 0 Asia
    Hong Kong 121 3 Asia
    Bahrain 110 0 Asia
    Greece 89 0 Europe
    Iraq 71 7 Asia
    Iceland 69 0 Europe
    Kuwait 69 0 Asia
    Egypt 59 1 Africa
    Israel 58 0 Asia
    India 56 0 Asia
    Thailand 53 1 Asia
    Lebanon 52 1 Asia
    San Marino 51 2 Europe
    Taiwan 47 1 Asia
    Portugal 41 0 Europe
    Finland 40 0 Europe
    Ireland 34 0 Europe
    Philippines 33 1 Asia
    Vietnam 31 0 Asia
    Slovenia 31 0 Europe
    Romania 28 0 Europe
    Indonesia 27 0 Asia
    Qatar 24 0 Asia
    Georgia 23 0 Asia
    Poland 21 0 Europe
    Russia 20 0 Europe
    Algeria 20 0 Africa
    Saudi Arabia 20 0 Asia
    Pakistan 19 0 Asia
    Oman 18 0 Asia
    Chile 17 0 South America
    Croatia 14 0 Europe
    Estonia 13 0 Europe
    Hungary 12 0 Europe
    Azerbaijan 11 0 Asia
    Peru 11 0 South America
    Macao 10 0 Asia
    Albania 10 0 Europe
    Belarus 9 0 Europe
    Latvia 8 0 Europe
    Mexico 7 0 North America
    Slovakia 7 0 Europe
    South Africa 7 0 Africa
    Tunisia 6 0 Africa
    Maldives 6 0 Asia
    Brunei 6 0 Asia
    Luxembourg 5 0 Europe
    Afghanistan 5 0 Asia
    Malta 5 0 Europe
    Serbia 5 0 Europe
    Senegal 4 0 Africa
    Bulgaria 4 0 Europe
    Morocco 3 1 Africa
    Cambodia 3 0 Asia
    Moldova 3 0 Europe
    Bangladesh 3 0 Asia
    Nigeria 2 0 Africa
    Cyprus 2 0 Asia
    Burkina Faso 2 0 Africa
    Cameroon 2 0 Africa
    Sri Lanka 1 0 Asia
    Armenia 1 0 Asia
    Ukraine 1 0 Europe
    Andorra 1 0 Europe
    Nepal 1 0 Asia
    Lithuania 1 0 Europe
    Jordan 1 0 Asia
    Monaco 1 0 Europe
    Liechtenstein 1 0 Europe
    Togo 1 0 Africa
    Mongolia 1 0 Asia
    Holy See 1 0 Europe
    Bhutan 1 0 Asia
    Gibraltar 1 0 Europe
    Panama 1 0 North America

Whats the point in posting all that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

NIMAN wrote: »
    I can't believe people are saying the gov is making decisions to protect the economy.

This is going to have a major impact on the economy one way or the other.

The world will be lucky to avoid another recession.

First, to make it clear to certain posters, the topic of this post is the economy.

I think a recession is almost guaranteed tbh no matter what way this plays out.

One extreme would be no actions taken to prevent a widespread outbreak. There would then be a widespread outbreak along the lines of the worst-case scenarios outlined by the government in recent days. Obviously, there'd a be a huge shock to society in general and the economy if some number of people beyond 120,000 died prematurely. I say beyond because if the health service collapses, which it would, there'd be thousands of otherwise preventable deaths. Part of the shock to society in general would be huge anger at the lack of action which could get very unpleasant.

The other extreme would be a lockdown before the advice that it's the correct time. We're not communist China. We do not have enough Gardaí to force people into a lockdown they're not prepared for. Possibly there wouldn't even be a legal basis for it. In the midst of an outbreak, you'd a pile of non-compliant people ignoring the "lockdown". You wind up in with the same as above happening.

The government are between a rock and a hard place. They want to flatten the curve but they don’t want to order a shut down that would be ignored. They can only progress things incrementally or they lose too many people and lose the impact of whatever measure they’re trying to take.

The tone of the message has changed since Sunday. I suspect this is deliberate and I predict the cancellations of events etc will progress significantly by the end of the week. The much maligned (in this thread) business community will do their bit and comply. How many others do the same remains to be seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

There are bigger numbers coming tomorrow and the government are aware so expect some “changes”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Loughc wrote: »
    Great article spot on too. It’s definitely hit it’s peak already.
    Dreadful article. So wrong on several points, it's painful. Written by a leading health professional, a lawyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭paul71

Simon Harris has been wrong several times already. The earlier you lockdown the better. We simply do not know who is carrying this right now and because of the refusal to cancel flights to and from Italy there's likely hundreds with it.

When you fail to take early steps liking banning flights you will always be on the backfoot. Then you end up having to take extreme measures later such as locking down cities because you've lost control of the number of cases.

1 year before a vaccine will become available. I suspect there will be a lockdown at some stage, the real question is not when, but how many and how long.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    2586191821323370496.png

I added in the sax solo just to be on the safe side.

old_aussie wrote: »
    The fact that he's the Health Minister, NOT in anyway experienced in the running of the economy of a country but it's the economy he' seem most concerned about.

A farrier carrying on like he's a jockey!

He acts on advice given to him by the medical professionals in the HSE.
    Also he doesn’t have the authority to make unilateral decisions to enforce shut downs, etc

• Advertisement

The decision not to test for community transmission until they pop up in hospital already ill is bordering on unforgivable at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Confirmed Cases
    27th Jan China 4.4k 27th Feb Outside China 4.3k
    28th Jan China 6k 28th Feb Outside China 5.3k
    29th Jan China 7.7k 29th Feb Outside China 6.8k
    30th Jan China 9.7k 1st March Outside China 8.5k
    31st Jan China 11.2k 2nd March Outside China 10.3k
    1st Feb China 14.3k 3rd March Outside China 12.7k
    2nd Feb China 17.2k 4th March Outside China 14.9k
    3rd Feb China 19.7k 5th March Outside China 17.5k
    4th Feb China 23.7k 6th March Outside China 21.2k
    5th Feb China 27.4k 7th March Outside China 25.2k
    6th Feb China 30.6k 8th March Outside China 29.1k
    7th Feb China 34.1k 9th March Outside China 32.8k
    8th Feb China 36.8k 10th March Outside China 37.5k (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

China 80,761 3,136 Asia
    Italy 10,149 631 Europe
    Iran 8,042 291 Asia
    France 1,784 33 Europe
    Spain 1,674 35 Europe
    Germany 1,437 2 Europe
    Switzerland 497 3 Europe
    Netherlands 382 4 Europe
    Sweden 351 0 Europe
    Norway 304 0 Europe
    Belgium 267 0 Europe
    Denmark 262 0 Europe
    Austria 182 0 Europe
    Singapore 166 0 Asia
    Malaysia 129 0 Asia
    Hong Kong 121 3 Asia
    Bahrain 110 0 Asia
    Greece 89 0 Europe
    Iraq 71 7 Asia
    Iceland 69 0 Europe
    Kuwait 69 0 Asia
    Egypt 59 1 Africa
    Israel 58 0 Asia
    India 56 0 Asia
    Thailand 53 1 Asia
    Lebanon 52 1 Asia
    San Marino 51 2 Europe
    Taiwan 47 1 Asia
    Portugal 41 0 Europe
    Finland 40 0 Europe
    Ireland 34 0 Europe
    Philippines 33 1 Asia
    Vietnam 31 0 Asia
    Slovenia 31 0 Europe
    Romania 28 0 Europe
    Indonesia 27 0 Asia
    Qatar 24 0 Asia
    Georgia 23 0 Asia
    Poland 21 0 Europe
    Russia 20 0 Europe
    Algeria 20 0 Africa
    Saudi Arabia 20 0 Asia
    Pakistan 19 0 Asia
    Oman 18 0 Asia
    Chile 17 0 South America
    Croatia 14 0 Europe
    Estonia 13 0 Europe
    Hungary 12 0 Europe
    Azerbaijan 11 0 Asia
    Peru 11 0 South America
    Macao 10 0 Asia
    Albania 10 0 Europe
    Belarus 9 0 Europe
    Latvia 8 0 Europe
    Mexico 7 0 North America
    Slovakia 7 0 Europe
    South Africa 7 0 Africa
    Tunisia 6 0 Africa
    Maldives 6 0 Asia
    Brunei 6 0 Asia
    Luxembourg 5 0 Europe
    Afghanistan 5 0 Asia
    Malta 5 0 Europe
    Serbia 5 0 Europe
    Senegal 4 0 Africa
    Bulgaria 4 0 Europe
    Morocco 3 1 Africa
    Cambodia 3 0 Asia
    Moldova 3 0 Europe
    Bangladesh 3 0 Asia
    Nigeria 2 0 Africa
    Cyprus 2 0 Asia
    Burkina Faso 2 0 Africa
    Cameroon 2 0 Africa
    Sri Lanka 1 0 Asia
    Armenia 1 0 Asia
    Ukraine 1 0 Europe
    Andorra 1 0 Europe
    Nepal 1 0 Asia
    Lithuania 1 0 Europe
    Jordan 1 0 Asia
    Monaco 1 0 Europe
    Liechtenstein 1 0 Europe
    Togo 1 0 Africa
    Mongolia 1 0 Asia
    Holy See 1 0 Europe
    Bhutan 1 0 Asia
    Gibraltar 1 0 Europe
    Panama 1 0 North America

Incorrect Ireland is now 50 cases of Corona virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Realistically how Long can it last in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Anyone thinking about going off the grid ? Eg maybe have a holiday home or just their main home - take time off work , kids out of school etc and just proper locking down ?

It has certainly crossed my mind to do so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There are bigger numbers coming tomorrow and the government are aware so expect some “changes”

Is this a thumb in the air prediction or an informed advance notice?

Incorrect Ireland is now 50 cases of Corona virus.

34 here. 16 in NI would be included in the UK numbers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I posted about schools being shut down and mods shut the thread. But I know for a fact it is happening on Friday. I know the amount of other cases too but I’ll leave that be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Do tell ?

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Realistically how Long can it last in ireland

How long is a piece of string?

Confirmed Cases
    27th Jan China 4.4k 27th Feb Outside China 4.3k
    28th Jan China 6k 28th Feb Outside China 5.3k
    29th Jan China 7.7k 29th Feb Outside China 6.8k
    30th Jan China 9.7k 1st March Outside China 8.5k
    31st Jan China 11.2k 2nd March Outside China 10.3k
    1st Feb China 14.3k 3rd March Outside China 12.7k
    2nd Feb China 17.2k 4th March Outside China 14.9k
    3rd Feb China 19.7k 5th March Outside China 17.5k
    4th Feb China 23.7k 6th March Outside China 21.2k
    5th Feb China 27.4k 7th March Outside China 25.2k
    6th Feb China 30.6k 8th March Outside China 29.1k
    7th Feb China 34.1k 9th March Outside China 32.8k
    8th Feb China 36.8k 10th March Outside China 37.5k (so far)

Why is that, in that format, in any way useful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

loughside wrote: »
    My goodness!

Coronavirus: Health minister Nadine Dorries tests positive

2 minutes ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51827356

I don't know anything about her but apparently she is a nurse by profession. There was a BBC guy saying that she had been very affected by the impact of Covid and that she had been considering if there was any way she could make a contribution professionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

China 80,761 3,136 Asia
    Italy 10,149 631 Europe
    Iran 8,042 291 Asia
    France 1,784 33 Europe
    Spain 1,674 35 Europe
    Germany 1,437 2 Europe
    Switzerland 497 3 Europe
    Netherlands 382 4 Europe
    Sweden 351 0 Europe
    Norway 304 0 Europe
    Belgium 267 0 Europe
    Denmark 262 0 Europe
    Austria 182 0 Europe
    Singapore 166 0 Asia
    Malaysia 129 0 Asia
    Hong Kong 121 3 Asia
    Bahrain 110 0 Asia
    Greece 89 0 Europe
    Iraq 71 7 Asia
    Iceland 69 0 Europe
    Kuwait 69 0 Asia
    Egypt 59 1 Africa
    Israel 58 0 Asia
    India 56 0 Asia
    Thailand 53 1 Asia
    Lebanon 52 1 Asia
    San Marino 51 2 Europe
    Taiwan 47 1 Asia
    Portugal 41 0 Europe
    Finland 40 0 Europe
    Ireland 34 0 Europe
    Philippines 33 1 Asia
    Vietnam 31 0 Asia
    Slovenia 31 0 Europe
    Romania 28 0 Europe
    Indonesia 27 0 Asia
    Qatar 24 0 Asia
    Georgia 23 0 Asia
    Poland 21 0 Europe
    Russia 20 0 Europe
    Algeria 20 0 Africa
    Saudi Arabia 20 0 Asia
    Pakistan 19 0 Asia
    Oman 18 0 Asia
    Chile 17 0 South America
    Croatia 14 0 Europe
    Estonia 13 0 Europe
    Hungary 12 0 Europe
    Azerbaijan 11 0 Asia
    Peru 11 0 South America
    Macao 10 0 Asia
    Albania 10 0 Europe
    Belarus 9 0 Europe
    Latvia 8 0 Europe
    Mexico 7 0 North America
    Slovakia 7 0 Europe
    South Africa 7 0 Africa
    Tunisia 6 0 Africa
    Maldives 6 0 Asia
    Brunei 6 0 Asia
    Luxembourg 5 0 Europe
    Afghanistan 5 0 Asia
    Malta 5 0 Europe
    Serbia 5 0 Europe
    Senegal 4 0 Africa
    Bulgaria 4 0 Europe
    Morocco 3 1 Africa
    Cambodia 3 0 Asia
    Moldova 3 0 Europe
    Bangladesh 3 0 Asia
    Nigeria 2 0 Africa
    Cyprus 2 0 Asia
    Burkina Faso 2 0 Africa
    Cameroon 2 0 Africa
    Sri Lanka 1 0 Asia
    Armenia 1 0 Asia
    Ukraine 1 0 Europe
    Andorra 1 0 Europe
    Nepal 1 0 Asia
    Lithuania 1 0 Europe
    Jordan 1 0 Asia
    Monaco 1 0 Europe
    Liechtenstein 1 0 Europe
    Togo 1 0 Africa
    Mongolia 1 0 Asia
    Holy See 1 0 Europe
    Bhutan 1 0 Asia
    Gibraltar 1 0 Europe
    Panama 1 0 North America

Those numbers mean nothing without knowing the other variables involved.
    For instance, Its a 6% death rate in Italy. That's because they have only tested 300,000 people. Kind of skewed. In other words worthless statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

He acts on advice given to him by the medical professionals in the HSE.
    Also he doesn’t have the authority to make unilateral decisions to enforce shut downs, etc

Who has the authority to make these unilateral decisions?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement