Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

National guard deployed in part New York

Getting serious over there already

https://www.thejournal.ie/national-guard-new-rochelle-new-york-coronavirus-5041172-Mar2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Well if you had any clue about how different countries are handling this in very different ways the numbers would be illuminating.

Look at the USA and Italy v Germany and South Korea for example. As those have the most stark variance from the "mean"

Looks more like a table with no 'mean' ing and an incorrect title (it says mortality rate but only gives mortalty numbers and no mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The “have to have been in Italy or other affected area” has to be most mind-numbingly backward Policy they could have devised. It just makes no sense given how the virus spreads.

The time was now with full resources to take extreme precautionary measures.

According to the HSE, if you don’t display any symptoms out of the ordinary, it is best to self isolate but no need to call GP. But for those of us working in jobs that don’t have home offices, don’t have compensation for being out of work, we need confirmation we have the virus to avail of payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Uk health minister has the virus, weirdly ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

SDKev wrote: »
    We decided this today - one of my kids has been hospitalised a few times for asthma
    One of the confirmed cases today is from the catchment area of their school

They won’t be back in school until we’ve a better understanding of how this will play out - they’re in priming school so no big exams

That’s good to know others are considering or doing this . Hope you are well stocked up and best of luck with it . I’m edging towards this , just need to see how I can get work to agree .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

PM by community transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Firstly was this included in today's cases?

Secondly the government needs to open up the criteria for testing to ALL to avoid potential sh!t shows like this.

Couldn't agree more. We need to know where we stand.

If we are in the same situation that most of our neighbours are in, then we're going to have to ramp up testing anyway in order to measure the effects of the increasingly drastic measures we'll have to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I know it varies, but on average if you have Covid 19, how long until you get the all clear?

When should we expect to see the first infected person cured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

The Americans have guns and don't like there freedoms curtailed, I imagine lots will die before they lockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Now that France Spain and Germany all have more cases than Northern Italy did when the travel advisory to avoid/self quarantine after returning from there, should it not be expanded?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

And that's where fines and prison sentences for breaking lockdowns come into play which they will have to. If someone doesn't like draconian measures tough sh*t. This isn't a game you can opt out of because you don't like the rules.

We don't have the means to enforce it nor a populace as pliant as the Chinese that will obey it fully.

No country in the West does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'll take a pm.

And a vowel please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

God this thread is clogged enough without pages and pages of “pm me huns”

Just spit it out and post it on thread ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    this is going to turn into chinese whispers

Very apt so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

drkpower wrote: »
    That’s just silly; you can’t enforce that kid of approach. It’s easy to type, and I’m sure typing it makes you feel better; impossible to effect.

It worked for the Chinese. The Italians are doing it. We will have to so it.
    Most people will voluntarily isolate. The usual clowns who like to go skiing in a red zone probably won't. Lock them up for 3 months I say. Like I said, not a game. Health of the majority is far more important than a minority who get bored by isolation.

We will soon surpass the daily new cases of China. But sure lets just ignore what they did.
    Twill be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Mp has virus in UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Uk health minister has the virus, weirdly ironic

Just to clarify as some people might not follow British politics, this person is the equivalent of a junior minister here. The equivalent of the health minister here, is the Secretary of State for Health and some other **** i cba be looking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I know it varies, but on average if you have Covid 19, how long until you get the all clear?

When should we expect to see the first infected person cured?

I read somewhere it can take up to six weeks to clear, if you have a severe case. Three negative tests required. Obviously the healthier your are, the quicker.

I guess that's the problem with the health service/lack of beds. A bed can be tied up for weeks.

gabeeg wrote: »
    it can become endemic, meaning it never stops circulating

like the flu and cold have done

exactly and the jokers saying its just something for the elderly to worry about well forget retirement with this thing going around in your 60s/70s

still unclear if its bi phasic and still not clear if it lies dormant in the body (its gets everywhere from your cerebro-spinal fluid to your crap). In which case the damage it does to your lungs - it still damages at least some people who show no symptoms lungs (as shown in a young child with no symptoms) and that damage would then be cumulative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

UK & Ireland, Covid cases to date ......

Tuesday 10th March update.

UK/ NHS figures = 382.
    Ireland/ HSE figure = 34.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mehan2000

Woman working in retail in drogheda apparently confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Can I have 2 and one for my friend.

God this thread is clogged enough without pages and pages of “pm me huns”

Just spit it out and post it on thread ffs.

I have some ideas on this

pm me

I PM d the Pm r to try to
    Be different , but it didn’t work

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

Daz_ wrote: »
    That’s good to know others are considering or doing this . Hope you are well stocked up and best of luck with it . I’m edging towards this , just need to see how I can get work to agree .

I’m in the (un)fortunate position of having been made redundant so work isn’t an issue at this point
    Well stocked food wise and putting together a daily plan/routine

My mental health isn’t 100% and I need to ensure I’m there for the family and also that the kids keep up with their school work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Can everyone just pm the person that they want the message from and stop clogging up the thread with ****e.

Yes I am aware i am clogging up the thread with ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Most people will voluntarily isolate. The usual clowns who like to go skiing in a red zone probably won't. Lock them up for 3 months I say. Like I said, not a game. Health of the majority is far more important than a minority who get bored by isolation.

What’s important is doing things that work, not things that are cathartic to say.

The Italian experience, early as it is, is reflective. Within hours of the northern Italy lockdown, thousands of people fled south. You can’t stop that; certainly not with hard words.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

**** *** “pm”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Schools need to close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There are bigger numbers coming tomorrow and the government are aware so expect some “changes”

Tony Holohan is posting on boards!

• Advertisement

froog wrote: »
    how would you go about testing for community transmission?

by testing :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,201 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

UK & Ireland, Covid cases to date ......

Tuesday 10th March update.

UK/ NHS figures = 382.
    Ireland/ HSE figure = 34.

Roughly the same when population is taken into account.

I see Scotland is at about the same level as the Republic btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Have no clue what the PMs are for But Me Please !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Went to the supermarket today and a massive display on pallets as I go in the door of baked beans, toilet roll and water bottles. I guess you'd need the rolls after the beans.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Has to be a serious case to me made for not leaving the morons who went to Cheltenham back into the country? Let them be rounded up and quarantined in a tent city in the middle of the racecourse , no loss. Insanely selfish on the part of the punters and pure greed from the organisers.
    How would you "catch" them? Stop all travel from the UK into Ireland? Build a wall between the ROI and NI?

Actually lads, when you think about it maybe we should be pm-ing each other to avoid gathering in large groups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

This thread has gone off the rails, was my goto place for info on the virus, but now it seems to be gone to dogs recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Last ten pages are just full of the letters PM and MP

This thread has gone off the rails, was my goto place for info on the virus, but now it seems to be gone to dogs recently.

So you don't want the pm?

drkpower wrote: »
    Not necessarily; if you impose draconian measures that are not capable of being sustained over a long period, and then those measures are stopped, or more likely ignored, all you do is push the epidemic curve back a few weeks. The ‘second’ curve hits when you have an economy in a worse state and a populus unwilling to comply.

That would be far far worse.

It’s not surprising that the medics advocating the early lockdown approach are clinicians and not public health doctors.

no use having a functioning economy when the rest of the world is shutting down and you have no one to trade with. Take the hit now and shut down. You`ll come out of it sooner and the show will get back on the road.

Its simply doing the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

The absolute state of the last few pages of this thread. Fcking hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Don't PM me please. I'm suffering from information overload. Some academics saying it could be seasonal others saying it will last from between 18 months to 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

SDKev wrote: »
    I’m in the (un)fortunate position of having been made redundant so work isn’t an issue at this point
    Well stocked food wise and putting together a daily plan/routine

My mental health isn’t 100% and I need to ensure I’m there for the family and also that the kids keep up with their school work.

Well make sure you mind yourself and stay in contact with other family etc . Could become a bit stressful all under one roof

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sandrat

They are gone to the horses, not to the dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Everybody all info was posted on the open board.

The PM was just who the source was nothing interesting OP trying to avoid trouble for whistleblower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Can someone who got the pm just post it on the thread?

He just said to expect more cases and school closures. Apparently brother in HSE. My brother is also in HSE and he said that there is nothing to suggest school closures tomorrow from his end at this point.

But can I just add that numbers in the special school where I work were extremely low today with the majority of staff already absent, more coughing conspicuously and students hugely at risk. This exercise in transmitting the virus all over Cork is distressing to health experts here, as evidenced by this Prime Time piece with Paul O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

We will soon surpass the daily new cases of China. But sure lets just ignore what they did.
    Twill be grand.

The Italians will never enforce it the same way the Chinese did. The only way to do it is to implement curfews and Martial Law. Can't see that happening in Europe at this stage.

China is a totalitarian, Communist state with a large military and armed police force and a populous that believes the bolloxology spouted by Mao that the CCP have been divinely ordained to lead China to glory.

They are far more pliant than us freedom loving westerners.

You try and implement a lockdown here and you'll get more than a few heads, ,including hard chaws posting on these threads, breaking it to go meet their mates for a "bit of gargle."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

no use having a functioning economy when the rest of the world is shutting down and you have no one to trade with. Take the hit now and shut down. You`ll come out of it sooner and the show will get back on the road.

Its simply doing the right thing.

If you ‘shut down’ too early, it could be worse; that’s the point cillian de gascun is making on tv3 right now.

It sounds intuitive to say ‘shut down now, get it over with’; I get you. But it is not that simple when you are dealing with human behaviour sadly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement