Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Schools need to close.

Imagine all the time off work that'll have to be given to parents if that happens?

Who's going to mind all the children???!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Changed my mind.
    I don’t want a pm.
    Or do i

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

This thread has gone off the rails, was my goto place for info on the virus, but now it seems to be gone to dogs recently.

If this was your go to place for the virus lucky for you it’s gone to the dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭Shelga

I know this is a thread of random boardsies, and I'm already tired of people on Twitter asking about things that only affect them, because I think it's selfish, but hey, it's not like I'm stockpiling all the loo roll for just myself, so here goes...

If someone was in a position where they could buy a property in the next couple of months, would the coronavirus outbreak be cause for delay?

I guess the answer is, no one knows at this stage.

However, does it seem like recession is all but guaranteed? Is that even going to matter much in Ireland, when the housing situation is so dire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Seriously....expect more cases is the big secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I dont want a pm.

My prediction for new cases tomorrow is 12 to 15 ballpark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Can someone explain this 15 minute of close contact please?

Martina?..lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This thread has gone off the rails, was my goto place for info on the virus, but now it seems to be gone to dogs recently.
    WHO let the dogs out;)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,525 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Problem is even if we do the best job on earth in controlling it all the good work will then be undone by a bellend/bellendette travelling in to the country from an affected country. Will need screening at the airports and no flights at all from cities where more than x percent is infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

997702-F6-774-B-4135-93-A9-B1036-CA3298-E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah but according to the cork independent they didn't return to the company after travelling to an affected area, which was very goood thinking on the part of the employees as it stops the spread to their colleagues and their families.

One would have to ask why risk heading over in the first place? Not quite good thinking on their part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I know it varies, but on average if you have Covid 19, how long until you get the all clear?

When should we expect to see the first infected person cured?

Also can you get it more than once

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What's all this PM stuff?

Boris Johnson is the UK PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Beasty wrote: »
    How would you "catch" them? Stop all travel from the UK into Ireland? Build a wall between the ROI and NI?

Get the brits to send in the army and quarantine them inside the rails of the racecourse
    And Geneva convention doesn’t apply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

YFlyer wrote: »

Martina?..lol

I think its horse****. Doesn't make logical sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

DM for me, I’m on Twitter.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Micky 32 wrote: »
    This thread would have you paranoid.
    Wait until you see what the next one does for you before delivering judgement on this one.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For all the chat about "experts" and common sense, there on TonightVM a virologist a public health professor and a medicial oncologist are disagreeing in the emphasis and timing of containment measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

DM for me, I’m on Twitter.

PM me your Twitter handle and I’ll DM you the PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

YFlyer wrote: »

If someone is coughing within 2 metres of you make sure to move away within 15 minutes so you don't catch the virus :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

New or total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

PM now called Boris

Give me a big fat Boris

If you want a PM thank this post to make a list for whatever its about!.
    and quit with the 'pm me' clogging crap pls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,525 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If a world leader of a first world country gets it that will throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

PM me your Twitter handle and I’ll DM you the PM

Check pms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

This thread would implode if Leo got it

Professor John Crown touched his face earlier. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

PMT

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Worrying unnecessarily achieves a very little Micky. Obviously that's easy for me to say but it's a point that in general holds true.
    :eek::eek:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

If you want a PM thank this post to make a list for whatever its about!.
    and quit with the 'pm me' clogging crap pls

You’re just trying to get on the most thanked list aren’t you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Dm pm mp uk WTF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Shelga wrote: »
    I know this is a thread of random boardsies, and I'm already tired of people on Twitter asking about things that only affect them, because I think it's selfish, but hey, it's not like I'm stockpiling all the loo roll for just myself, so here goes...

If someone was in a position where they could buy a property in the next couple of months, would the coronavirus outbreak be cause for delay?

I guess the answer is, no one knows at this stage.

However, does it seem like recession is all but guaranteed? Is that even going to matter much in Ireland, when the housing situation is so dire?

What sort of property? Agricultural land for example will hold its value IMO.

fritzelly wrote: »
    If someone is coughing within 2 metres of you make sure to move away within 15 minutes so you don't catch the virus :confused:

It puzzles me as well. Haven't heard an intelligent reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

giphy.gif

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I wonder if this is our '9/11' moment again for travel and extensive virus/disease screening becomes the norm forever when the virus is wiped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The PM is spreading faster thsn the bl00dy virus!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

Beasty wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

:pac:

keep calm and carry long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

It’s amazing anytime anything significant occurs in the world and you watch those with PHDs in the arts of armchair warrior, internet expert, doomsdayer, serial scaremonger and general **** stirrer all come out to play.

What’s even more amazing is the constant slamming of each side against the other, those who say “yea it’s a great big fuss for nothing”, versus those who are genuinely worried and of course both sides get a new arse ripped for expressing their concerns, and obviously in the middle of the two with genuine beliefs there are those who simply enjoy the scaremongering and putting out false information, I even remember someone apparently giving the thumps up to false information early on in the threads because that was what social media was for.

For me I’m not too concerned as things stand* due to the fact that currently the vast majority of people have relatively minor symptoms and make a full recovery, but, I also acknowledge that there are those who are really worried about the situation, even to the extent of panic buying masks, food, toilet rolls or whatever – why do people slam those who feel this way? Fear is objective, but unfortunately we often stand back and judge someone else’s fear subjectively, why can’t we remember that some people naturally think the worst, some people home in on the worst case scenarios, some people unfortunately fall victim of the hoax’s and scaremongers, some people need a little more reassurances than simply “get over it”, unfortunately some people can’t help but feel this way, and you never know perhaps in time their fears may be justified if the virus situation gets worse*. We should respect both sides opinions rather than outright reject them.

*Remember the virus is still in it’s infancy and has already mutated at least once, as I understand it the second strain is weaker than the first, but, that is not to say it couldn’t mutate further, now don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean to sound like one of those scaremongers, but that is simply a very real possibility which could potentially happen, it is probably too early to say with any degree of certainty that it won’t adapt further. It is entirely possible the financial consequences of all this is going to be the biggest long term symptom - Brent Crude Oil dropping to 1991 prices with the lowest overnight drop in history, world stock markets crumbling, airlines going bust or cancelling routes and grounding fleets, the tourist, food and hotelier industry in trouble, millions of people in lock down on a scale possibly not seen since WW2 and potentially a general global recession, it is all unprecedented, never has there been such sweeping changes globally on such a scale at such a rate even for example after 9/11, the Gulf Wars or other globe trotting illnesses, it is these issues which worry me more than SARS-CoV-2.

With such a fast moving thread I’ve missed a lot of posts and no doubt both sides have had some strong views on the cancellations of the St. Patricks Day parades, lack of broadened general testing, clarity from the HSE, red zoning all of Italy and why flights continue to Italy until Friday etc, but I really don’t get why people are often convinced the HSE are withholding information as has been claimed more than once over the few threads, or why the WHO are supposedly incompetent at what they do….but yet for example some quote the likes of the Guardian or the Sun or WhatsApp messages as reliable sources of information?

Isn’t is better to be proactive rather than reactive? Whilst we may all look back some day and say yea it was all a big fuss for nothing, what if that is not the case, isn’t it better to be safe than sorry, as the WHOs Director General stated yesterday It’s not about containment or mitigation – which is a false dichotomy, it’s about both. Hindsight is wonderful, I’d rather look back and say “thank god we did X, Y or Z”, rather than “****, we should have done X, Y or Z”

Rant over (for now) :)

P.S.

A further pedantic little rant, why on earth does the media the world over keep reporting about the deadly COVID-19 virus? There’s no such virus, the virus infecting people is the new SARS-CoV-2 virus, the resulting disease it can cause is the new COVID-19 disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Everybody wants to know everything and when you find out it is not that interesting it only leads to more questions.

People asking how bad is it going to get is another one nobody knows for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

145,000 thousand people died today. 200 or less from Coronavirus.

168 in Italy today alone, 245 worldwide

I wonder if this is our '9/11' moment again for travel and extensive virus/disease screening becomes the norm forever when the virus is wiped out.

Dont worry we'll get complacent again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

fr336 wrote: »
    This thread would implode if Leo got it

And if Simon Harris cured him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

Problem is even if we do the best job on earth in controlling it all the good work will then be undone by a bellend/bellendette travelling in to the country from an affected country. Will need screening at the airports and no flights at all from cities where more than x percent is infected.

This is going to sweep through regardless of any containment measures... I think people need to accept this and move on with their lives and daily business- the fear is leading to irrational anxiety and quite frankly social breakdown from the Dr Google’s on twitter etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

He just said to expect more cases and school closures. Apparently brother in HSE. My brother is also in HSE and he said that there is nothing to suggest school closures tomorrow from his end at this point.

But can I just add that numbers in the special school where I work were extremely low today with the majority of staff already absent, more coughing conspicuously and students hugely at risk. This exercise in transmitting the virus all over Cork is distressing to health experts here, as evidenced by this Prime Time piece with Paul O'Brien.

For people asking for the pm, ironically or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Schools need to close.

If we close schools - we will in all likleyhood end up with gangs of feral school kids roaming without supervision. Considering that kids are believed to be superspreaders of a number of infections - probably not a good idea

Everybody wants to know everything and when you find out it is not that interesting it only leads to more questions.

People asking how bad is it going to get is another one nobody knows for sure.

I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,201 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Larbre34 wrote: »
    For all the chat about "experts" and common sense, there on TonightVM a virologist a public health professor and a medicial oncologist are disagreeing in the emphasis and timing of containment measures.

Which is why the 'Italy should have done this or that' arguments are a bit nonsensical. Even scientists and doctors were divided for the last few weeks (and still are). It's a very unpredictable situation.

Cheltenham.

Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

GM228 wrote: »
    A further pedantic little rant, why on earth does the media the world over keep reporting about the deadly COVID-19 virus? There’s no such virus, the virus infecting people is the new SARS-CoV-2 virus, the resulting disease it can cause is the new COVID-19 disease. (Be honest, how many people were actually aware of that?)

Prolly everyone in this thread tbf. I couldn't say for certain but I think RTE and Newstalk are saying disease.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement