Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

The reality is this WILL be apocalyptic for some cohorts. It will be nothing at all for others. Hence the huge divergence in opinions. Totally polarised and is to be expected. What would be good is peoples lives being put ahead of horse racing, skiing, cruises yadda yadda. Shutting travel for a few weeks would have been a great solution a month or 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Half price PM's on the bargain alert thread:D

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I posted about schools being shut down and mods shut the thread. But I know for a fact it is happening on Friday. I know the amount of other cases too but I’ll leave that be
    I really do not care what you consider "fact" - you have no more credibility around here than any of us, and you are just as capable of scaremongering as anyone. I am not saying you are wrong, but that is irrelevant. You are an anonymous internet poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Chest freezers selling well in Donegal. The madness continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

This is going to sweep through regardless of any containment measures... I think people need to accept this and move on with their lives and daily business- the fear is leading to irrational anxiety and quite frankly social breakdown from the Dr Google’s on twitter etc.

nope, nope, nope. Have you seen the photos from Italian hospitals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I don't think anyone ever posted this yet
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-worldwide-peak-will-come-next-winter-scientific-model-predicts-11954441

If this is to believed we are beyond screwed - with our summer this means come August it will all blow up again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Definitely don't PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I think its horse****. Doesn't make logical sense

It's not even based on average coughing or sneezing for someone that is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

Wearing masks will cut down the chances of getting the virus:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/can-face-mask-stop-coronavirus-covid-19-facts-checked

HSE should inform people about this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    ?

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Monkeynut wrote: »
    If anyone is having problems accessing boards.ie just hold down F5 on your keyboard and sing happy birthday to me 2 times all at the same time as the others. It will resolve the issue.

Please don't take my advice.

We’re all worried this Virus may kill our Parents/Grandparents or even ourselves but I’m still hopeful, perhaps stupidly so... but our humour is class and your comment proves that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

gozunda wrote: »
    If we close schools - we will in all likleyhood end up with gangs of feral school kids roaming without supervision. Considering that kids are believed to be superspreaders of a number of infections - probably not a good idea

As long as they keep out of hospitals and old folks homes!

Been cooked up in school, touching, coughing on each other, teachers and SNAs is an ideal way to spread this virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Beasty wrote: »
    I really do not care what you consider "fact" - you have no more credibility around here than any of us, and you are just as capable of scaremongering as anyone. I am not saying you are wrong, but that is irrelevant. You are an anonymous internet poster

Not true the fella I work with best friends sisters aunt knows him says he is on the level honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

fritzelly wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-worldwide-peak-will-come-next-winter-scientific-model-predicts-11954441

If this is to believed we are beyond screwed - with out summer this means come August it will all blow up again

Can't we just nuke it into oblivion.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wondering why schools should close, the pupils are in the least susceptible category for contracting the virus.

Maybe it’s the adults congregating at the school gates or something.

No school going kids here so I might be missing something. And it’s late and I don’t want a pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

I'm a critical care doctor working in a UK HCID (high consequence infectious diseases) unit. Things have accelerated significantly in the past week. Ask me anything

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fgfspi/im_a_critical_care_doctor_working_in_a_uk_hcid/

AMA is over but worth reading

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

What the fu*k does be going on at all in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

If this is to believed we are beyond screwed - with out summer this means come August it will all blow up again

Suddenly public transport just became much less attractive, if sitting on a jammed 145 during the winter wasn’t any less enticing. Would we just adapt or would it lead to a serious rejigging to how we live our lives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Has there been any news event in recent history as extensively covered as this by media/internet since 9/11? Literally every time I turn on radio or tv or open social media, its coronavirus, literally always for the last fortnight at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

wakka12 wrote: »
    Has there been any news event in history as extensively covered as this by media/internet since 9/11? Literally every time I turn on radio or tv or open social media, its coronavirus, literally always for the last fortnight at least

Donald trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

GM228 wrote: »
    It’s amazing anytime anything significant occurs in the world and you watch those with PHDs in the arts of armchair warriors, internet experts, doomsdayers, serial scaremongers and general **** stirrers all come out to play.

What’s even more amazing is the constant slamming of each side against the other, those who say “yea it’s a great big fuss for nothing”, versus those who are genuinely worried and of course both sides get a new arse ripped for expressing their concerns, and obviously in the middle of the two with genuine beliefs there are those who simply enjoy the scaremongering and putting out false information, I even remember someone apparently giving the thumps up to false information early on in the threads because that was what social media was for.

For me I’m not too concerned as things stand* due to the fact that currently the vast majority of people have relatively minor symptoms and make a full recovery, but, I also acknowledge that there are those who are really worried about the situation, even to the extent of panic buying masks, food, toilet rolls or whatever – why do people slam those who feel this way? Fear is objective, but unfortunately we often stand back and judge someone else’s fear subjectively, why can’t we remember that some people naturally think the worst, some people home in on the worst case scenarios, some people unfortunately fall victim of the hoax’s and scaremongers, some people need a little more reassurances than simply “get over it”, unfortunately some people can’t help but feel this way, and you never know perhaps in time their fears may be justified if the virus situation gets worse*. We should respect both sides opinions rather than outright reject them.

*Remember the virus is still in it’s infancy and has already mutated at least once, as I understand it the second strain is weaker than the first, but, that is not to say it couldn’t mutate further, now don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean to sound like one of those scaremongers, but that is simply a very real possibility which could potentially happen, it is probably too early to say with any degree of certainty that it won’t adapt further. It is entirely possible the financial consequences of all this is going to be the biggest long term symptom - Brent Crude Oil dropping to 1991 prices with the lowest overnight drop in history, world stock markets crumbling, airlines going bust or cancelling routes and grounding fleets, the tourist, food and hotelier industry in trouble, millions of people in lock down on a scale possibly not seen since WW2 and potentially a general global recession, it is all unprecedented, never has there been such sweeping changes globally on such a scale at such a rate even for example after 9/11, the Gulf Wars or other globe trotting illnesses, it is these issues which worry me more than SARS-CoV-2.

With such a fast moving thread I’ve missed a lot of posts and no doubt both sides have had some strong views on the cancellations of the St. Patricks Day parades, lack of broadened general testing, clarity from the HSE, red zoning all of Italy and why flights continue to Italy until Friday etc, but I really don’t get why people are often convinced the HSE are withholding information as has been claimed more than once over the few threads, or why the WHO are supposedly incompetent at what they do….but yet for example some quote the likes of the Guardian or the Sun or WhatsApp messages as reliable sources of information?

Isn’t is better to be proactive rather than reactive? Whilst we may all look back some day and say yea it was all a big fuss for nothing, what if that is not the case, isn’t it better to be safe than sorry, as the WHOs Director General stated yesterday It’s not about containment or mitigation – which is a false dichotomy, it’s about both. Hindsight is wonderful, I’d rather look back and say “thank god we did X, Y or Z”, rather than “****, we should have done X, Y or Z”

Rant over (for now) :)

P.S.

A further pedantic little rant, why on earth does the media the world over keep reporting about the deadly COVID-19 virus? There’s no such virus, the virus infecting people is the new SARS-CoV-2 virus, the resulting disease it can cause is the new COVID-19 disease. (Be honest, how many people were actually aware of that?)

I don't know why but I read your entire post in a Liverpool accent and it sounded GREAT!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

s982102 wrote: »
    Wearing masks will cut down the chances of getting the virus:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/can-face-mask-stop-coronavirus-covid-19-facts-checked

And then there are no masks for the HSE.

I thought it was fairly obvious that masks would help - even it its just to stop the infected spreading it further.
    I doubt all the Chinese are wearing masks just for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Definitely don't PM me

Reverse psychology.

Good strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Has there been any news event in recent history as extensively covered as this by media/internet since 9/11? Literally every time I turn on radio or tv or open social media, its coronavirus, literally always for the last fortnight at least

Brexit.

The day the ice age ended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

s982102 wrote: »

A proper study funded by the CDC in 2012 held they don't on their own, I'll dig it out for all the "sources" replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Any more indications as to when we can expect a vaccine? Are we still looking at a year or so?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stop clogging the thread up asking for PMs. PM the poster if you are that desperate for whatever info they may have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

So how expensive is it to test somebody, the more tests we do then the more self isolation we can do. Just like Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,202 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That scenario would be good news. Any sort of respite would give the global authorities time to plan a fullscale battle with the virus.

Even if it came out swinging next winter, countries would be in far better shape to take it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Stop clogging the thread up asking for PMs. PM the poster if you are that desperate for whatever info they may have

They have extra Toilet Roll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wondering why schools should close, the pupils are in the least susceptible category for contracting the virus.

Maybe it’s the adults congregating at the school gates or something.

No school going kids here so I might be missing something. And it’s late and I don’t want a pm.

Incorrect, young people can equally contract Covid 19. The case is that, it doesn't affect them a lot, but they are good transmitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,608 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What is this PM everyone is talking about, don't leave me out either.

Boris :p

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

For people asking for the pm, ironically or not.
    1:25-2:40 weakness of Irish approach to testing and contact tracing.

This has been known for a while, and suspected for longer, is our approach to testing too restrictive because of lack of capacity to process a volume of tests.

How many tests can be processed per day in this state?
    Nobody in HSE seems willing to put a figure on it.

Strazdas wrote: »
    That scenario would be good news. Any sort of respite would give the global authorities time to plan a fullscale battle with the virus.

Even if it came out swinging next winter, countries would be in far better shape to take it on.

You think? If this comes back for winter on top of the usual flu we would be screwed.
    We're only slightly better off now coming out of the flu season and Italy's health system is already crumbling

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Yeah. I'd take this if you offered it to me at the moment. It's probably one of the better-case scenarios.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Anyway **** the virus itself. The burning question now is how soon will the next thread about this be opened?

Anyway **** the virus itself. The burning question now is how soon will the next thread about this be opened?

Beasty going to bed soon so...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

That’s fine beasty. But if I can help someone out with a fact then I will. It could help someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,202 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You think? If this comes back for winter on top of the usual flu we would be screwed.
    We're only slightly better off now coming out of the flu season and Italy's health system is already crumbling

Who knows? Scientists worldwide would have 5-6 months to think of novel and ingenious ways to take on the virus.....that's a huge amount of time to give the best minds in the world.

The virus has been running riot precisely because it caught everyone unaware and came out of nowhere this year.

Beasty going to bed soon so...

He/she will have to open a new thread firat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭josip

It doesn't look like Nadine Dorries attends Cabinet meetings so the chances of her having infected Michael Gove, Priti Patel, Dominic Raab, Steve Barclay or Jacob Ress Mogg are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

madalig12 wrote: »
    Chest freezers selling well in Donegal. The madness continues.

Why would you want to freeze your chest?

(.) (.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

To the mods

I assume you realize the futility of direct action against me. We have no wish for further loss of life.

I have comrades in arms around the world who are languishing in prison.

The American State Department enjoys rattling its saber to its own ends...now it can rattle it for me.

My comrades and I demand we are sent this PM without delay.

You have two hours to comply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Cheltenham.

Morons.
    leahyl wrote: »
    Any more indications as to when we can expect a vaccine? Are we still looking at a year or so?

we may need two, L & S ....so far

• Advertisement

Why would you want to freeze your chest?

(.) (.)

Keeps the virus out

Who knows? Scientists worldwide would have 5-6 months to think of novel and ingenious ways to take on the virus.....that's a huge amount of time to give the best minds in the world.

The virus has been running riot precisely because it caught everyone unaware and came out of nowhere this year.

Vaccine 12 months away if not more - I for one wouldn't be taking any initial vaccines
    Dunno what else could be done if this comes back within Europe in the winter with a vengeance. Cannot keep shutting down countries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

josip wrote: »
    It doesn't look like Nadine Dorries attends Cabinet meetings so the chances of her having infected Michael Gove, Priti Patel, Dominic Raab, Steve Barclay or Jacob Ress Mogg are slim.

Is this a good or a bad thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

9005 posts. Beasty asleep. Wouldn’t it be great if thread slipped over 10,000 posts while he slept?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

you take the advice of the health care professionals, virologists and WHO -people are rightly going about their daily business... you don’t take it from Dr Google, Twitter, FB or any other source of unsubstantiated hype and hysteria.... what’s happening now is leading to social and economic breakdown from quite frankly irrational anxiety - the mental health effects of this crisis now far surpass the physical impact of the virus - it’s totally crazy ... I’ll try again post this

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/when-disaster-strikes-inside-disaster-psychology/202003/psychology-viral-pandemic-what-we-need?amp

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement