Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sod Italy, I think it's time to start banning all flights from the US, they're crawling with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

fritzelly wrote: »
    It's nothing bar big numbers and schools closures tomorrow

I'd luv a big number right now, in fact I might roll one up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Beasty wrote: »
    I'll just close it and delete all those over the limit - already 223 posts deleted from this thread and 865 across all 5 threads...

Oh, and I'm still awake

Could you break that down over the 5 threads.
    And maybe throw in a graph. Or a pie chart.
    And different colours please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's nothing bar big numbers and schools closures tomorrow

Are we talking double figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1237362407506313216

Can we do this?

Europe decided economics over health (feels like that anyway - efforts taken seem to be looking to normalise this virus - i dont understand why the taoiseach would comment on potential numbers infected in Ireland - numbers quoted were so high that some have resigned to the fact that they will contact this); unfortunately where China/Sth Korea/Taiwain are looking to eradicate this virus - we are looking to stall for a vacine, but what happens in Nov when we dont have vacine ready and we are hit with 2nd wave of this thing

Who are our goverment advisors? What was the thinking - a western society will not be able to contain this so we wont try; optically, up until last week, very little being said at an EU level, in deed we have Trump saying its just a flu

- Decision to cancel parade - I genuinely believe the only reason our goverment moved to do this was because councils and the public demanded it and were taking actions into there own arms
    - Private nursing homes took decisive action on Friday to prevent the virus getting into their homes to prevent clusters of deaths of their residents as seen in the US/Italy. This was a difficult decision to restrict visitors but essential - yet even though there is evidence of community spread in the country - our national advisors have advised that this step was not recommended and should be rolled back on - you have to be kidding right - are we waiting for this virus to make its presence known in ireland with a serious spike in fatalities US style
    - School closures - certain sch boards made the decision to close schools and told to reverse. Children can catch this virus, they can spread it, to reduce speed of spread - school closures will help now

Sorry rant over and yes i know lots of typos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Are we talking double figures?

For some reason the number 42 keeps popping up every so often on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

The42.ie.

Be prepared.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Could you break that down over the 5 threads.
    And maybe throw in a graph. Or a pie chart.
    And different colours please.
    The curves for deletions and cards/bans are both showing exponential upward trends. The word count in the mod warnings in the OP is showing a similar pattern

Alas if I did it all on colour there would be a lot of red.....

Japan reports biggest one-day rise in coronavirus cases since January

From Reuters:

Japan had 59 new cases of coronavirus infection on Tuesday, the biggest one-day rise since the start of the outbreak, public broadcaster NHK said.

Total infections have risen to 1,278 cases, including 696 from the Diamond Princess cruise ship and 14 returnees on charter flights from China, according to NHK data.

One new infection was reported early on Wednesday, in the western prefecture of Hyogo.

Japan has now seen 19 deaths from the virus, including seven from the cruise ship, the public broadcaster said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/11/coronavirus-update-live-news-uk-health-minister-italy-lockdown-australia-us-china-stock-markets-outbreak-latest-updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

laurah591 wrote: »

- Decision to cancel parade - I genuinely believe the only reason our goverment moved to do this was because councils and the public demanded it and were taking actions into there own arms
    -

It was on the advice of the health officials. I wonder will all those civic minded citizens stay out of the pubs on the day.

• Advertisement

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/03/read-this-gittins/
    Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.

6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.

7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern:

8/ 1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panic
    2)Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great

9/ 3)Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2.
    4)Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly.

10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,

11/ if governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.

12/ Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think “that’s bad dude” and then go out for dinner because you think you’ll be safe.

13/ We have seen it, you won’t be if you don’t take it seriously. I really hope it won’t be as bad as here but prepare.

It was on the advice of the health officials. I wonder will all those civic minded citizens stay out of the pubs on the day.

I hope so - but is the social distancing message getting out there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

there must be a movie being made somewhere
    this thread and its siblings would make an interesting book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

So before I go to bed, any genuinely positive signs on how this Virus might not turn out as nasty as reported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

nocoverart wrote: »
    So before I go to bed, any genuinely positive signs on how this Virus might not turn out as nasty as reported?

You wake up and it's all been a bad nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

old_aussie wrote: »
    I'd luv a big number right now, in fact I might roll one up.

Maybe not ....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47811251

:pac:

Arrival wrote: »

You wake up and there is no part VI because Beasty is ....... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

1 of many grim elements of this is the amount of people on social media who think their experts on all of this im far from an expert myself, like all elements of life, rumours can range from been 110% correct to complete Bullsh1t so im only taking any information from official sources with any substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WriteThings

nocoverart wrote: »

The only country that has done widespread testing and therefore caught asymptomatic and mild cases is South Korea. Case fatality rate according to their stats is <1%.

Goodnight!

1 of many grim elements of this is the amount of people on social media who think their experts on all of this im far from an expert myself, like all elements of life, rumours can range from been 110% correct to complete Bullsh1t so im only taking any information from official sources with any substance.

10 years ago no one knew what a tracker mortgage was either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

LaFuton wrote: »
    there must be a movie being made somewhere
    this thread and its siblings would make an interesting book

The movie Contagion is pretty much what is happening now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

It’s probably been linked before but The Lancet ( highly respected medical publication) outlines the reasoning of the current approach.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30567-5/fulltext

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Scotland has 4 more cases today bringing their total up to 23. (The Scotsman) I have to say the Scottish news is a lot more detailed than what we get over here, the press release people need to pull up the HSE to buck their reporting of cases. Fcuk that nonsense of East, West, North and South. And fair play to the likes of the Examiner and the Echo for breaking the Cork cases.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Apt username I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

spookwoman wrote: »

So does this indicate the turnaround in testing?

Someone had suspicions about Waterford a few days ago. The rumour was that Waterford hospital was on lock-down. It wasn’t. But I was able to confirm that it was one ward that was being isolated.

See below:

”It isn't confirmed yet in Waterford, and from what I gather, it is one ward.”

Then today: 10-03-2020
    Waterford
    See link above from Spookwoman:

"It has emerged this evening that a male being treated at University Hospital Waterford has tested positive for Covid-19.
    WLR News understands that the man has been a patient there for several days."

...hmmm, that definitely took more that 24 hours. Was he tested more than once? Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Wondering why schools should close, the pupils are in the least susceptible category for contracting the virus.

Maybe it’s the adults congregating at the school gates or something.

No school going kids here so I might be missing something. And it’s late and I don’t want a pm.

most pupils will be okay, but i work with many pupils that have condition such as diabetes, epilepsy, heart conditions and compromised immune systems, fair chance they wont be okay.

Every kid in a school will then interact with other students and very likely contract the virus, then go home and spread it to their parents/grandparents who in turn will spread it to others.

And then you have the staff in a school, teachers, SNA's, admin, cleaning, all of which are adults and susceptible to this virus and in a confined area with many students and staff. I myself am an SNA in a post primary school and am absolutely terrified of picking this up in school, and passing it to my students (most of which are immune compromised) my elderly parents (health not great) and my fiancee who has asthma and a compromised immune system.

so no young and perfectly healthy kids are not the only ones within a school that will be affected by leaving them open.

I knew just by the head of him he’d nothing but bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Someone had suspicions about Waterford a few days ago. The rumour was that Waterford hospital was on lock-down. It wasn’t. But I was able to confirm that it was one ward that was being isolated.

See below:

Waterford

It has emerged this evening that a male being treated at University Hospital Waterford has tested positive for Covid-19.
    WLR News understands that the man has been a patient there for several days.

...hmmm, that definitely took more that 24 hours. Was he tested more than once? Anyone know?

Article says they decided to test him on the 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Jeez that's not good though, he was in there a few days before that.

It was known from the 6th that there was someone in there and that a ward was on lock down.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237547821663834112

Up over 100 new cases on yesterday's.

What is reduced can be reversed lightning fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Paraguay do this after their second case, and what do we do?

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237530338525507590?s=20

The only country that has done widespread testing and therefore caught asymptomatic and mild cases is South Korea. Case fatality rate according to their stats is <1%.

Goodnight!

I don’t know if this post suggests taking a painkiller or having a nightcap but thanks anyways.

Yes, the way i read that - community transmission case that did not meet crieria for testing - but as the patient has symptoms and admitted to the hospital requiring isolation - a decision was taken to test after some debate given the timeline

Does anyone know how serious or mild his condition is?

• Advertisement

Jeez that's not good though, he was in there a few days before that.
    I know was in 4 days in ward before they tested and moved. I live just up from the hospital and loads of hospital staff live are around here. Lots of shops are few supermarkets all in walking distance......

Word is there are a few waiting for results now and in isolation

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Paraguay do this after their second case, and what do we do?

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237530338525507590?s=20

Paraguay looking at Europe and saying our health system will not handle this

Will a death from a patient with Covid-19 or a TD getting a positive test result finally force the Government to take the appropriate action?

Exactly

Will a death from a patient with Covid-19 or a TD getting a positive test result finally force the Government to take the appropriate action?

Outbreak linked to a Nursing home perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Neither will ours.

I know was in 4 days in ward before they tested and moved. I live just up from the hospital and loads of hospital staff live are around here. Lots of shops are few supermarkets all in walking distance......

Word is there are a few waiting for results now and in isolation

Are you saying that that patient in Waterford was in a ward you were working on? Your post doesn't make total sense

Are you saying that that patient in Waterford was in a ward you were working on? Your post doesn't make total sense
    Sorry using phone. The patient was on a ward for 4 days. I don't work there I just live up the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

No doubt a lot of people on here will find this very good RTE clip explaining the various types of transmission and contact tracing a bit simplistic but, in fairness, it's aimed at a more general audience

China update

24 new confirmed cases, 22 new deaths (22 in Hubei)

Yesterday was
    19 new confirmed cases, 17 new deaths (17 in Hubei)

So an increase!

I wonder is there any chance this corona virus might help Mayo win Sam this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't think even that would.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

See below:

Waterford
    See link above from Spookwoman:

"It has emerged this evening that a male being treated at University Hospital Waterford has tested positive for Covid-19.
    WLR News understands that the man has been a patient there for several days."

Similar to this, there was another poster referencing a case in Drogheda, but there was no report of it online from what I could see, however it turns out that there was and this has been the case since Friday.

China update

24 new confirmed cases, 22 new deaths (22 in Hubei)

Yesterday was
    19 new confirmed cases, 17 new deaths (17 in Hubei)

So an increase!

Has Hubei restarted its manufacturing industry or is the region still on lockdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Strazdas wrote: »
    It would mean thinking outside the box instead of just going down the usual vaccine route. Something (perhaps a medical intervention) that would disrupt transmission of the virus and slow down the spread.

So far, the virus has had a free run at things because it caught everyone off guard.

Handwashing?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement