Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I know they keep pushing wash your hands, but can't we just catch it from someone near use coughing?

There's lots of ways to catch it. But washing your hands (properly) will help stop it spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Mellor wrote: »
    I understood what you were saying. And I agree that it's not an existential threat to the species.

I'm disagreeing with the notion that an existential threat is the cut-off point where a pandemic ceases being "not that bad".

Mellor, understood. I simply wanted to address the people who seem to think this will degenerate into Mad Max territory with 50 million dead worldwide ( which is not an impossible number) by pointing out that even with 15 times that number it wouldn't bring about a Mad Max scenario.

It may seem laughable but some people seem to really be concerned this could end up like Mad Max --- please God not like Beyond Thunderdome. I couldn't cope with any Tina Turner right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rn

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I know they keep pushing wash your hands, but can't we just catch it from someone near use coughing?
    Yes. But the chances of you being within 2m of an actively coughing person are relatively low.

The thought process is that droplets of bodily fluid infected with covid 19 can live on objects for several hours, so the chances of you picking it up on your hands is higher. Then you touch mouth, nose or eyes the virus can get a foothold in your various bodily fluids and can build from there.

Hence the focus on washing of hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Ellsbells1 wrote: »
    Should nursing homes be reopened to the general public like they are suggesting? I can understand how distressing it is and will be for patients not having visitors but I also think it is important to protect our vulnerable. But staff will still be changing etc so surely they could bring it into the nursing homes too.

I've just been onto a family member re visiting hours and have been informed that as from yesterday the nursing home in question is closed to all visitors as a precaution against infecting patients!

Makes sense, seeing as Covid-19 is most dangerous against the elderly & infirm....

I'll be making contact by phone instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

In3 months time everyone posting here will know on a personal level someone who has died from the virus. Our system will get overwhelmed very fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

No, it's realistic. People don't self isolate when they have hiv, flu, hepatitis, scabies, impetago and a whole list of illnesses.

Some people also can't just not go to work or raise their kids.

It's a virus, it will spread. The vast majority will not die just as the vast majority do not die from the common flu but some do.

Christ people are getting so carried away. The dead have not risen!
    It's a highly infectious virus, not HIV which by comparison is almost impossible to catch!

Most people do self isolate when they have the flu. Have you never stayed off work so as not to infect your workmates??

Have you never even said "don't come too close, I have a cold/the flu"??

If I'm sick I always try to limit my germ spread. I've always done this. Am I alone? I hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Don't worry, our caretaker Taoiseach is still going to Washington so everything must be OK.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0311/1121527-varadkar-us-stpatrick/

When is he coming back? I hope they don't put this on the back burner while all the TDs go on their St. Patrick's day holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

rn wrote: »
    Yes. But the chances of you being within 2m of an actively coughing person are relatively low.

There are always people coughing and sneezing on jam packed rush hour buses and luas etc!

There are also studies that show virus can travel much further than 2 metres:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

I've just been onto a family member re visiting hours and have been informed that as from yesterday the nursing home in question is closed to all visitors as a precaution against infecting patients!

Makes sense, seeing as Covid-19 is most dangerous against the elderly & infirm....

I'll be making contact by phone instead.

Exactly I think it’s bizzare them coming out and saying that they should be open to the general public. I think if it goes on for a long time they will have to become creative for residents who it begins to upset because I can see it upsetting my relative as time passes as he doesn’t use a mobile phone but I do think it is the right call. The only thing that worries me is people who are palliative are still allowed visitors which is understandable but should there not be restrictions put in place for this time protect all residents as you could have people who are infected but don’t know yet going in to visit family members.

Over 70s should be self isolating or as close to it as possible. Obviously if you're immobile and need care that's different. Same goes for immune compromised people.

Hopefully most of them understand the seriousness of it. Family members need to have common sense too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rn

There does seem to be a complacency setting into the under 50 population because, the still early, indications are for higher mortality in older people. A lot of people just assuming it's Italys older population.

This disease poses serious risks for under 50's group to, especially anyone with other cardiovascular conditions. And there's lots of young people who simply don't know how good or bad their cardiovascular system is. There's also the problem with the health system being over loaded which means challenges for the u50' s to have their acute and minor health care needs met. This will have a knock on for their longer term health.

The high death rate in general will put significant pressure on financial and insurance industries.

Should nursing homes be reopened to the general public like they are suggesting? I can understand how distressing it is and will be for patients not having visitors but I also think it is important to protect our vulnerable. But staff will still be changing etc so surely they could bring it into the nursing homes too.
    Look it's all about the probabilities. Fewer visitors and or staff means fewer vectors for the infection. Yes one staff member could still bring it in but it's more likely to be brought in the more distinct visitors you have. Staff will presumably be wearing facemasks also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Paraguay closes all schools after its second case of covid19

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237530338525507590

893bet wrote: »
    In3 months time everyone posting here will know on a personal level someone who has died from the virus. Our system will get overwhelmed very fast.
    Sadly I think you are right. It's horrible. My mother (77) is not taking it seriously. Too many fcuking morons on Facebook posting sh1t about it just being like the flu. She's fairly fit and well but she does take blood pressure tablets and well at 77 she'd be in the high risk group for sure.

If she has to get it I hope she gets it now while there is some capacity in the system. In a few days or weeks there will not be and our doctors will be facing the same horrific choices as those in Lombardy. 77 year olds will not be prioritised (nor should they be over parents of small children etc.)

Staff should be following a very strict hygenie protocol, as they are working with the most vunerable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

morebabies wrote: »
    Don't worry, our caretaker Taoiseach is still going to Washington so everything must be OK.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0311/1121527-varadkar-us-stpatrick/

When is he coming back? I hope they don't put this on the back burner while all the TDs go on their St. Patrick's day holidays.

Is there a full list of TDs and their destinations?
    Nowadays many go to lots of different countries on a junket

Junket: an extravagant trip or celebration, in particular one enjoyed by government officials at public expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

murphaph wrote: »
    It's a highly infectious virus, not HIV which by comparison is almost impossible to catch!

Most people do self isolate when they have the flu. Have you never stayed off work so as not to infect your workmates??

Have you never even said "don't come too close, I have a cold/the flu"??

If I'm sick I always try to limit my germ spread. I've always done this. Am I alone? I hope not!

A normal, level headed person would try not to pass it on.
    But sadly I would say the majority in this world are not that sort....

I was on Dublin bus last night to get home and a woman was coughing a few rows back from me. Every 30-60 seconds right on que. She didn't care. Journey was around 50 minutes.

When I got off to go to Lidl I had to get on another bus after. So As I am waiting a man is walking his dog towards me. Everything fine. As soon as his face is the closest between mine and his (as he passes) he coughs. Not before. Not after. Right as he is passing me in my face. Rude any other day. A c**t these days. That's people for you and it's only Wednesday morning now (go figure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Does anyone else think the funeral directors crowd that made the bury them straight away comments should be reprimanded? What a terrible thing to say while many people are already panicked and it’s clearly based on nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I find it beyond farcical and downright disrespectful that in this time of crisis, Varadkar and the likes are jetting off around the world for St Patricks day.

I was on Dublin bus last night to get home and a woman was coughing a few rows back from me. Every 30-60 seconds right on que. She didn't care. Journey was around 50 minutes.

When I got off to go to Lidl I had to get on another bus after. So As I am waiting a man is walking his dog towards me. Everything fine. As soon as his face is the closest between mine and his (as he passes) he coughs. Not before. Not after. Right as he is passing me in my face. Rude any other day. A c**t these days. That's people for you and it's only Wednesday morning now (go figure)

I think there is quite a sizeable portion of our/many societies that are oblivious to the world around them and also world events. They dont pay any heed to news even if they watch it.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    I find it beyond farcical and downright disrespectful that in this time of crisis Varadkar and the likes are jetting off around the world for St Patricks day.

Free paid trip.
    Like let's just call it the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

jarvis wrote: »
    Does anyone else think the funeral directors crowd that made the bury them straight away comments should be reprimanded? What a terrible thing to say while many people are already panicked and it’s clearly based on nothing.

No because that’s what will happen if this takes off in a big way. Upsetting as it might be to read it might be the wake up call some people need to realise this is serious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mellor, understood. I simply wanted to address the people who seem to think this will degenerate into Mad Max territory with 50 million dead worldwide ( which is not an impossible number) by pointing out that even with 15 times that number it wouldn't bring about a Mad Max scenario.

It may seem laughable but some people seem to really be concerned this could end up like Mad Max --- please God not like Beyond Thunderdome. I couldn't cope with any Tina Turner right now.
    :D In 1969 when we were putting men on the moon the world population was just about half what it is today. Sadly losing 50 million would be more a personal tragedy than a global one.

That said we're more vulnerable today than we have been in the past. Supply lines for many things we take for granted have become much narrower and non local. So in 1969 a similar pandemic would have had less of an impact in many ways, because more people were making more stuff in more places. To exaggerate for illustration: In 1969 if you wanted a new telly, there were loads of factories making tellies all over the world, so if one or two factories closed because of sickness, well there was a load more still going. Today those one or two factories closing would essentially stop the production of tellies worldwide. The further and further you go back in history the greater this effect. The Black Death(and all the other rolling plagues) had major societal effects, usually to the good for survivors and things actually improved over time, today it would reset the clock.

There was a study done by some German group around decade ago(which I'll try to dig up) where they looked at German production capabilities in WW2, where they were able to stay going even increase production in the face of the allied bombing campaign. They looked at the current German production capabilities and imagined removing one in ten workers because of illness and found things in many sectors ground to a halt.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

If China are going to start easing the lock down, what’s stopping the virus from spreading again? They’re still getting new cases (far fewer than before, I know) and people are still dying from the virus there. I know the restrictions have to be lifted at some point but surely you’d have to wait until you’re getting no new confirmed cases for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I find it beyond farcical and downright disrespectful that in this time of crisis Varadkar and the likes are jetting off around the world for St Patricks day.

Who are the idiots that are even hosting them all? Youd imagine at a time like this they would be told "no visitors thanks".

If China’s are going to start easing the lock down, what’s stopping the virus from spreading again? They’re still getting new cases (far fewer than before, I know) and people are still dying from the virus there. I know the restrictions have to be lifted at some point but surely you’d have to wait until you’re getting no new confirmed cases for a while?

Only my two cents...

But it's the economy. Can't wait to get that big giant cog wheel spinning again. So at the first slightest reduction its "full steam ahead!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Free paid trip.
    Like let's just call it the way it is.

Agree.

And I was shocked at the disgraceful scenes from Cheltenham on the news last night. Tens of thousands of half pissed gamblers crammed in together, celebrating a few horses running around a field. Gamblers is probably the key word there. They are gambling with the health of the nation all for a bit of craic.

If many cases are traced back to people going to Cheltenham then it will be the end of the Horse Racing industry. It will be hard to justify pumping
    tens of millions of taxpayers money into their hobby after they give the two fingers to the public. When cuts inevitably come to government budgets to compensate for the Coronavirus recession then there will be a public demand for the horse industry to be first on the chopping block.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I find it beyond farcical and downright disrespectful that in this time of crisis, Varadkar and the likes are jetting off around the world for St Patricks day.

Absolutely spot on. Coming across very insensitive and selfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Only my two cents...

But it's the economy. Can't wait to get that big giant cog wheel spinning again. So at the first slightest reduction its "full steam ahead!"

I kind of get that too though. No point in a coronavirus-free society if people are starving in the streets cause there’s no money. I suppose it’s all just a balancing act.

• Advertisement

ai2xxrsrryl41.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

No.

Wibbs wrote: »
    :D In 1969 when we were putting men on the moon the world population was just about half what it is today. Sadly losing 50 million would be more a personal tragedy than a global one.

That said we're more vulnerable today than we have been in the past. Supply lines for many things we take for granted have become much narrower and non local. So in 1969 a similar pandemic would have had less of an impact in many ways, because more people were making more stuff in more places. To exaggerate for illustration: In 1969 if you wanted a new telly, there were loads of factories making tellies all over the world, so if one or two factories closed because of sickness, well there was a load more still going. Today those one or two factories closing would essentially stop the production of tellies worldwide. The further and further you go back in history the greater this effect. The Black Death(and all the other rolling plagues) had major societal effects, usually to the good for survivors and things actually improved over time, today it would reset the clock.

There was a study done by some German group around decade ago(which I'll try to dig up) where they looked at German production capabilities in WW2, where they were able to stay going even increase production in the face of the allied bombing campaign. They looked at the current German production capabilities and imagined removing one in ten workers because of illness and found things in many sectors ground to a halt.

Good post and what did people across europe use to power their cars during the war when oil was scarce? Wood!

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/wood-gas-cars.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

How do you store hundreds, maybe thousands of bodies to bury at a later date?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yup. Now most will prove otherwise in most everyday situations but I have found BA that assuming most people are self centred morons until proven otherwise is a good rule to live by.

If I was deadly serious about avoiding this virus because of some personal infirmity or that of a loved one I would avoid public transport and gatherings like the very plague(no pun). If I had to use public transport I'd only do so wearing a proper respirator and eye protection.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It's the truth? Do we now censor news in case it causes someone to be upset. There was a woman left in her house in Naples for 36 hours as no funeral director would take her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Some Arsenal players are in self isolation after contact with owner of Olympiakos who has been diagnosed with the disease. Match tonight against Man City postponed. Sky News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

touts wrote: »
    Agree.

And I was shocked at the disgraceful scenes from Cheltenham on the news last night. Tens of thousands of half pissed gamblers crammed in together, celebrating a few horses running around a field. Gamblers is probably the key word there. They are gambling with the health of the nation all for a bit of craic.

If many cases are traced back to people going to Cheltenham then it will be the end of the Horse Racing industry. It will be hard to justify pumping
    tens of millions of taxpayers money into their hobby after they give the two fingers to the public. When cuts inevitably come to government budgets to compensate for the Coronavirus recession then there will be a public demand for the horse industry to be first on the chopping block.

No it won't, it'll be the end of some hopeless case gamblers and whoever they come in contact with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

ai2xxrsrryl41.jpg

Ah yes the great Irish paralysis of worrying about what other people think of you. I hope that when it comes time to wear masks or gloves or whatever people won’t worry about what people think about them.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yup. Now most will prove otherwise in most everyday situations but I have found BA that assuming most people are self centred morons until proven otherwise is a good rule to live by.

If I was deadly serious about avoiding this virus because of some personal infirmity or that of a loved one I would avoid public transport and gatherings like the very plague(no pun). If I had to use public transport I'd only do so wearing a proper respirator and eye protection.

You're right wibbs. Cant agree with you more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

ai2xxrsrryl41.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it. I was in Aldi yesterday morning for some lunch stuff. I was the only person NOT panic buying toilet paper.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It's widely known that during the Cheltenham festival hundreds of prostitutes also descend on the town to service punters. .if that's not a corona (and other disease) spreading factory I don't know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The funeral directors were not being honest enough

Who will dig 90k graves if this goes full effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

First post on this as it has gotten too hard to ignore and live as normal 🙈
    If you take their worst case prediction of 85000 dead in Ireland it sounds like the county will fall apart but if you actually break it down as a percentage per town/village/city it's not much more than a personal tragedy. Eg town of 20000 will have 390 deaths. While it is absolutely shocking, it doesn't really spell out mad max type scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

And the best of it is lieo varadkar is a Doctor behind it all.you would therefore imagine he’d have some insight into infection control and the spreading of diseases and infections,and act accordingly.
    Not old clown shoes.hed rather travel just to have his photo taken.
    He’s the definition of useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And the best of it is lieo varadkar is a Doctor behind it all.you would therefore imagine he’d have some insight into infection control and the spreading of diseases and infections,and act accordingly.
    Not old clown shoes.hed rather travel just to have his photo taken.
    He’s the definition of useless.

They won't be going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The funeral directors were not being honest enough

Who will dig 90k graves if this goes full effect?

We are we getting this 90k figure of for deaths in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

First post on this as it has gotten too hard to ignore and live as normal 🙈
    If you take their worst case prediction of 85000 dead in Ireland it sounds like the county will fall apart but if you actually break it down as a percentage per town/village/city it's not much more than a personal tragedy. Eg town of 20000 will have 390 deaths. While it is absolutely shocking, it doesn't really spell out mad max type scenarios.

Ffs. What a savage and brutal post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭blueskys

I have a friend currently working in cuba. He said that since January all plane/ship passengers disembarking had to go through 24hr quarantine period and were fully screened for all corona viruses before entering the country. Cuba has 0 cases. Literally people before profit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

NIMAN wrote: »
    We are we getting this 90k figure of for deaths in Ireland?
    If Leos 1.9 million ish infection rate (50/60 percent of population) is correct we could realistically have that number of deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

touts wrote: »
    Agree.

I suppose it's the end of the premier league then so seeing as there will be tens of thousands of people in stadium's this weekend...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement