Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They won't be going.

He’s going today.he should be quarantined out there and left in it
    And even if he didn’t go he should be destroyed just for suggesting he was to go in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

How are your preperations coming on? I have a stock to last probably a month if I start rationing. Havent really panic bought but will keep adding stuff to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

gmisk wrote: »
    If Leos 1.9 million ish infection rate (50/60 percent of population) is correct we could realistically have that number of deaths.

That figure of 1.9million is Daily Mail stuff, Leo was crazy to even mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

Has anyone asked the simple question of the HSE of they actually have the capacity to undertake community testing?

Because I don't believe they can do this. We already know that this virus spreads exponentially.

Agreed. I've had pneumonia for the past week & half. Have ticked all the boxes for C19 testing & GP said no need to test, which leaves 1 or 2 scenarios (cynic in me 🀔)...

1 - they don't have capacity to carry out tests & results in lab
    2 - they are choosing not to do test so as to manipulate the figures to say "we're good, nothing to see here"

There is a girl in our estate who is in the same boat & they refused to test her too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

gmisk wrote: »
    If Leos 1.9 million ish infection rate (50/60 percent of population) is correct we could realistically have that number of deaths.

That was a worst case scenario. Not an expected result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I was planning on going out for dinner with my good wife Saturday but was a bit hesitant although I see League of Ireland football matches and GAA games this weekend can still be attended so not as hesitant anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

The funeral directors were not being honest enough

Who will dig 90k graves if this goes full effect?

Does anyone know how countries like Italy are coping with funerals ?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I suppose it's the end of the premier league then so seeing as there will be tens of thousands of people in stadium's this weekend...

First match called off this evening. So they are doing the right things. Not the horsey lads though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

murphaph wrote: »
    Sadly I think you are right. It's horrible. My mother (77) is not taking it seriously. Too many fcuking morons on Facebook posting sh1t about it just being like the flu. She's fairly fit and well but she does take blood pressure tablets and well at 77 she'd be in the high risk group for sure.

If she has to get it I hope she gets it now while there is some capacity in the system. In a few days or weeks there will not be and our doctors will be facing the same horrific choices as those in Lombardy. 77 year olds will not be prioritised (nor should they be over parents of small children etc.)

That could be a post about my mother as well. She's 72 and still in good health, but it's a struggle to get her to understand she has to avoid going to unnecessary gatherings. She went out last night to a play! It's a very tricky balance to get the point across without scaring her into being a hermit with no human contact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭LastFridayNight

How are your preperations coming on? I have a stock to last probably a month if I start rationing. Havent really panic bought but will keep adding stuff to it.

I have the porridge, the tea bags, and the UHT milk in myself.

Ffs. What a savage and brutal post.

If they were asked to pick a few of their own to get sick they wouldn’t be long changing their tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

According to the HSE, if you've been to North Italy then you need to self isolate but not the rest of Italy even though it's under quarantine also. Weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how countries like Italy are coping with funerals ?

Weddings and funerals have been canceled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

NIMAN wrote: »
    That figure of 1.9million is Daily Mail stuff, Leo was crazy to even mention it.

It's Business Post stuff and the health authorities couldn't deny it.

I know it may make us fearful, but I feel many of us simply can't be feared enough to take the appropriate action to help us beat this virus.

Within days were most likely to have radical measures but we need to rely on everyone to comply.
    We're only going to be as strong as our weakest links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was simply answering the question.
    The fact the HSE haven't refuted the figures is extremely worrying

• Advertisement

Morning

I’m skipping numerous pages again. What’s SK’s numbers?

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It's Business Post stuff and the health authorities couldn't deny it.

I know it may make us fearful, but I feel many of us simply can't be feared enough to take the appropriate action to help us beat this virus.

Within days were most likely to have radical measures but we need to rely on everyone to comply.
    We're only going to be as strong as our weakest links.

To me the radical measures of lock downs and community testing needs to start now. This evening they will probably announce 20 plus cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

ai2xxrsrryl41.jpg

I had just this dream last night. I was carrying my toilet paper from the car to the house and everyone was staring and pointing at me.

He’s a fcukin waffler.he can’t help talking sh1te off a script.he was reading it on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

First match called off this evening. So they are doing the right things. Not the horsey lads though.

That's because some Arsenal players are in self isolation. They haven't called off games for general reasons yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I have the porridge, the tea bags, and the UHT milk in myself.

I've made what I call my "zombie apocalypse" shopping list; I'm going to see what this evening's numbers are like and if they are doubling again, I'll get that shop done asap.

I've made what I call my "zombie apocalypse" shopping list; I'm going to see what this evening's numbers are like and if they are doubling again, I'll get that shop done asap.

What’s on the list ? Curious now .

Morning

+242. Was below 100 yesterday.

Morning

242 new cases

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

To me the radical measures of lock downs and community testing needs to start now. This evening they will probably announce 20 plus cases.

I love the way they're called "lock downs".

Who is going to stop you going out? Will there be martial law and defence forces out monitoring people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

None of the Cheltenham morons should be let return to any kind of job. Ideally ground flights and just leave them floating in the Irish Sea like the other corona cruises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭dougm1970

iguana wrote: »
    I had just this dream last night. I was carrying my toilet paper from the car to the house and everyone was staring and pointing at me.

Wait till the dream is real and they mug you of it!

Joke :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Game only called off this evening as Arsenal players have gone into self isolation. No cancellation due to mass gatherings etc. (yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I love the way they're called "lock downs".

Who is going to stop you going out? Will there be martial law and defence forces out monitoring people?

They don't have to monitor the people directly. Just that pubs, restaurants, cinemas, community halls etc are all shut after 6pm. No weddings, no funerals, no baptisms.

In Italy the army is locking down areas not people as in you can't leave your region, they have checkpoints on major roads.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

pjohnson wrote: »
    None of the Cheltenham morons should be let return to any kind of job. Ideally ground flights and just leave them floating in the Irish Sea like the other corona cruises.

I hear you but do you seriously think that the horsey crowd will be treated like the rest of the population?

More than likely they'll be left sauntering in with a hop skip and a jump...

Dont quarantine those people they're the echelons of society, they're toffs. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Did anybody hear the reports that the virus is far more contagious then they thought! Supposedly Chinese studies suggested that a person on a bus got the virus 4.5 metres distance away. Just as alarming was that another person was traced to getting the virus on a bus 30 minutes after the infected person got off. This is apparently one of the reasons why a mask would offer some protection!

Also can last for days on surfaces and lasts longer on 37oC or lower so we can forget about our summer helping us out.

Also, USA are in big trouble, most people won’t be able to afford to be tested.

If you don’t know who is in the YouTube club watch more videos (he tells you who he is) or don’t annoy me. He’s been calling this pretty much spot on since early January and he has the credentials to discuss this better then anybody I’ve read in any of these threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

dougm1970 wrote: »

He is one dangerous loon :(

dougm1970 wrote: »

The most incompetent person imaginable to be in charge of this crisis. I think the US is going to be ravaged by this virus and it'll be down to sheer incompetence and Trump's continuous lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

sydthebeat wrote: »
    That could be a post about my mother as well. She's 72 and still in good health, but it's a struggle to get her to understand she has to avoid going to unnecessary gatherings. She went out last night to a play! It's a very tricky balance to get the point across without scaring her into being a hermit with no human contact

I'm currently in the process of scaring my parents into being hermits, I feel if they get it were talking about a death sentence for one if not both of them. They are very high risk, compromised immune systems, underlying conditions galore. It's a struggle to get them to realise going to mass and routine appointments to renew prescriptions isn't advisable. It's my opinion if you're serious about preventing at risk people from having a horrible death and all the guilt associated with that be a hermit for as long as possible .... it's the only sure way.

I personally can't understand this "it's not time yet" horse****

You want to delay the spread of a virus then limit opportunities for transmission now to ****....I think it's irresponsible to delay because of some plan ...i hope we don't find out later the plan was disastrous ....the things the govt don't want to do will happen anyway when this is an even bigger problem ...why not limit spread now? We kmow the health service can't cope with a spike....i also have my doubts about the data, I'm very afraid we don't have community transmission because we are not testing for it

Don't wait until horse has bolted to shut the barn door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

Drumpot wrote: »
    Did anybody hear the reports that the virus is far more contagious then they thought! Supposedly Chinese studies suggested that a person on a bus got the virus 4.5 metres distance away. Just as alarming was that another person was traced to getting the virus on a bus 30 minutes after the infected person got off. This is apparently one of the reasons why a mask would offer some protection!

Also can last for days on surfaces and lasts longer on 37oC or lower so we can forget about our summer helping us out.

Also, USA are in big trouble, most people won’t be able to afford to be tested.

If you don’t know who is in the YouTube club watch more videos (he tells you who he is) or don’t annoy me. He’s been calling this pretty much spot on since early January and he has the credentials to discuss this better then anybody I’ve read in any of these threads.

I stopped reading at then:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Sorry if this was posted before , also I’m sure I asked similar before but can’t find replies ..

Regarding the “lockdown “ in Italy .
    I would have presumed a lockdown was exactly that , no one in and no one out but yet airports and other modes of travel are still operating ? Italy hasn’t stopped flights into and out of the airports and it seems its up to the individual countries or airlines to make that decision .

Pascal o donoghue was asked on the Sean o rourke show why we haven’t stopped flights from Italy coming here and amongst other things he said we need to think how Ireland would feel if a country banned us from landing or our citizens from arriving .. I was absolutely shocked that he seems to be looking at this travel ban as a insult to the Italians if it were to happen .. Am I taking him up wrong and totally over reacting or was I correct in saying that’s what his main agenda seemed to be ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

That’s how it came across to me too. Seemed like he was more worried about offending the Italians. To be fair, I do not think anyone in Italy would be remotely offended either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51827356

The might concentrate the minds.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The most incompetent person imaginable to be in charge of this crisis. I think the US is going to be ravaged by this virus and it'll be down to sheer incompetence and Trump's continuous lying.

Scariest thing is even people I know in the US, who I work with and would consider to be smart people are believing what he’s saying. I even had one quote the seasonal flu infection/ death rate in us compared to coronavirus to me to try and give me some peace of mind..... needless to say I’ve lost all confidence in their decision making abilities.
    America are going to be overwhelmed by this, and they don’t even know it’s there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

amacca wrote: »
    I'm currently in the process of scaring my parents into being hermits, I feel if they get it were talking about a death sentence for one if not both of them. They are very high risk, compromised immune systems, underlying conditions galore. It's a struggle to get them to realise going to mass and routine appointments to renew prescriptions isn't advisable. It's my opinion if you're serious about preventing at risk people from having a horrible death and all the guilt associated with that be a hermit for as long as possible .... it's the only sure way.

I personally can't understand this "it's not time yet" horse****

You want to delay the spread of a virus then limit opportunities for transmission now to ****....I think it's irresponsible to delay because of some plan ...i hope we don't find out later the plan was disastrous ....the things the govt don't want to do will happen anyway when this is an even bigger problem ...why not limit spread now? We kmow the health service can't cope with a spike....i also have my doubts about the data, I'm very afraid we don't have community transmission because we are not testing for it

Don't wait until horse has bolted to shut the barn door

You would need to come over and scare my mother.
    Obstinate and thick as two short planks, won't use sanitising fluid where it's provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You would need to come over and scare my mother.
    Obstinate and thick as two short planks, won't use sanitising fluid where it's provided.

Mine would be like that too.

Some just can't be talked to. They know best:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Thewife wrote: »
    Sorry if this was posted before , also I’m sure I asked similar before but can’t find replies ..

Regarding the “lockdown “ in Italy .
    I would have presumed a lockdown was exactly that , no one in and no one out but yet airports and other modes of travel are still operating ? Italy hasn’t stopped flights into and out of the airports and it seems its up to the individual countries or airlines to make that decision .

Pascal o donoghue was asked on the Sean o rourke show why we haven’t stopped flights from Italy coming here and amongst other things he said we need to think how Ireland would feel if a country banned us from landing or our citizens from arriving .. I was absolutely shocked that he seems to be looking at this travel ban as a insult to the Italians if it were to happen .. Am I taking him up wrong and totally over reacting or was I correct in saying that’s what his main agenda seemed to be ?

That’s what he said, but is that what he meant? I don’t think so. If we shut down flights, then it turns to ferries, what next? As an island we are very dependent on those modes of transport to survive. It could be a case of cutting off our nose to spite our face

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Thanks for you reply , I was really hoping I wasn’t imagining it !
    I couldn’t believe what I was hearing I really couldn’t . You can be damn sure if Ireland has the kind of numbers Italy or other places had their governments wouldn’t think twice about how they might offend us from banning our entry to their country !
    I’m really just not at all comfortable with the way our government seem to be adopting a “ kick the can down the road “ attitude to this virus .
    More needs to be done to protect our country and it’s Citizens. The government need to bring in Stronger measures now like school closures etc rather then sit like a waiting duck until the sh*t hits the fan and then battle to the repair it !
    Xertz wrote: »
    That’s how it came across to me too. Seemed like he was more worried about offending the Italians. To be fair, I do not think anyone in Italy would be remotely offended either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Principals asked to update their txt a parent details.
    Closures coming on Friday, until after Easter.
    Assuming creches will follow suit......
    How do families with both parents working manage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I stopped reading at then:pac:
    And another half hour video from yer man, where a five minute one would suffice. And as for him "calling this pretty much spot on" he's just read out WHO and other sources from day one, with lots of added conjecture and shifting of positions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Mine would be like that too.

Some just can't be talked to. They know best:(

When a smart person knows what they know and have a habit of listening to the same sources for their “credible” information, it’s a problem.

Sure you had people talking about David McWilliams podcast a few weeks ago as if it was the beacon of sanity because it was playing things down. I listened to it and was a pile of crap and he was trying to compare a virus outbreak to a market crash. Mind you he wasn’t totally wrong or panicked people but they whole narrative was “it won’t be as bad as it looks”. Made my blood boil but it shows you that intelligent people (McWilliams is no mug) can be over confident to the point of ignorance and hubris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

On my Google feed it popped up that the English health minister has tested positive for COVID19 ,!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

ricero wrote: »
    I find it beyond farcical and downright disrespectful that in this time of crisis, Varadkar and the likes are jetting off around the world for St Patricks day.

It's disgusting. It really is. We should all be minimising our risks when it comes to this and would also include our politicians. Do our lads have their own private planes or flights. It doesn't bode well with me anyways. What of they pick up the virus along the way and bring it home and into the dail. Does the dail have to stop and self isolate themselves? Nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭hblock21

https://www.wantedinmilan.com/news/coronavirus-italys-frontline-doctors-face-tough-choices.html?fbclid=IwAR1mguhWUBPLDXVMrCBMYt9Qrb4XRLkvRCSdcO8-v5fati1jonD8lnWb_O4

Doctors on the frontline speak out about reality of Coronavirus outbreak in Italy.
    A growing number of Italian doctors and nurses are speaking out about the reality of the Coronavirus outbreak and the difficult choices they have to make. The picture they paint is bleak.

One doctor, working on the frontline in Bergamo in northern Italy, describes the outbreak as a "disaster" and a “tsunami that has overwhelmed us", in an emotional Facebook post.

Daniele Macchini, a surgeon at Humanitas Gavazzeni hospital, said that cases were "multiplying" daily, stating: "The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the emergency room is collapsing.”

War-like numbers

The Sacco hospital in Milan is intubating between 30 and 50 patients a day, said Emanuale Catena, director of the institute's intensive care unit, who likened the numbers to a war-like situation.

Responding to the question about which patients find themselves in intensive care, Catena told Sky Tg24: "They are almost exclusively adult patients, at least with us, elderly and young adults, males, females are less affected. Patients are very critical, they are intubated, connected to a ventilator, kept in a medically induced coma, and many days of hospitalisation are necessary for the illness to resolve itself."

"Being in intensive care 10 or 15 days then exposes the patient to all the long-term complications of intensive care" - Catena said - "A period of rehabilitation and convalescence is definitely necessary before returning to normal life."

Anesthesiologists are increasingly faced with the dilemma of managing a higher number of patients than available beds, leading to "morally and emotionally difficult" choices, according to a document published by the Italian Society of Anesthesia, Anelgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care (Siaarti).
    This means prioritising younger, otherwise healthy patients over older patients or those with pre-existing conditions. In short, giving priority to those with the greatest chance of survival.
    "We do not want to discriminate," said anesthesiologist Luigi Riccioni, head of the ethical committee of Siiarti, who co-authored new guidelines on how to prioritise treatment of Coronavirus cases in hospitals. "We are aware that the body of an extremely fragile patient is unable to tolerate certain treatments compared to that of a healthy person."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement