Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thewife wrote: »
    I’m really just not at all comfortable with the way our government seem to be adopting a “ kick the can down the road “ attitude to this virus .!

The Irish "government". Earlier.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Principals asked to update their txt a parent details.
    Closures coming on Friday, until after Easter.
    Assuming creches will follow suit......
    How do families with both parents working manage?
    Source ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If someone was presenting symptoms associated with the disease but also others which are not is there any point in that person contacting the HSE?

Also has there been any info on how they intend to keep supermarkets stocked? I was in tesco this evening and it was well shook and I'd say that things are still relatively normal at the moment. I've been reading stuff online about Italian supermarkets being raided etc and I'd expect it to be equally as bad here given the government seem to be waiting for the proverbial to hit the fan.

I read last week that Musgrave, who run Supervalu and another chain ,are working to ensure supply lines.
    It will be up to these firms rather than the govt. Private enterprise has more to lose in real terms. Of course. And with all the prevarications the supermarkets have had abundant warning of the dangers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is there a source for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wibbs wrote: »
    And another half hour video from yer man, where a five minute one would suffice. And as for him "calling this pretty much spot on" he's just read out WHO and other sources from day one, with lots of added conjecture and shifting of positions.

It’s funny when people have to put others down to make themselves feel better. I’ve gotten plenty of information from him over the late few months that makes a mockery of this post.

And he’s been very critical of WHO so i fairness it’s like listening to a non vested interest educated person filtering the information we are getting from a body (WHO) and government that are providing information with different interests tugging at their collars.

And as I said, I’ve gotten way more from him then 5 threads of mostly waffle. I’ve been sharing it here because it’s actually increased the knowledge substantially even if people like you scoff at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

cjmc wrote: »
    On my Google feed it popped up that the English health minister has tested positive for COVID19 ,!

Aye, yesterday.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

JMNolan wrote: »
    I was planning on going out for dinner with my good wife Saturday

Maybe just take the bad wife this week...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

NIMAN wrote: »
    That figure of 1.9million is Daily Mail stuff, Leo was crazy to even mention it.

I cant believe people are still throwing around this number with any credence.
    This whole thread has been a random number generator. I wont even ask how many die within that figure :rolleyes:
    I am in London. It's the talk of the town alright but nobody is panicking. More of an inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

cjmc wrote: »
    On my Google feed it popped up that the English health minister has tested positive for COVID19 ,!

that seems to be the norm,where's harris ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

I probably missed this in an earlier post but what happened in Italy with regard to food shortages? Am I right in thinking that there were initial shortages but now supermarkets are well stocked again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51827356

The might concentrate the minds.

Whoa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This whole thread has been a random number generator. I wont even ask how many die within that figure :rolleyes:
    I am in London. It's the talk of the town alright but nobody is panicking. More of an inconvenience.

It will be interesting when we look back at all this in 2021, 2022 whenever, and we have the final death toll.

Will we laugh at the crazy figures they were quoting?
    Will we be saying, "jez they were right, we lost 95000 people"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Home Office is the only way. Would be tricky managing time though. Probably have to split time with the kids and do some work later in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Talk to your employer, take annual leave, work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

gmisk wrote: »
    I was simply answering the question.
    The fact the HSE haven't refuted the figures is extremely worrying

The reason they won't refuted the figures is because they don't know.
    I tried to to a bit of checking up on the report.
    It is based on a report done up in the early 00s for the EU, to see how ready Ireland would be.
    It has been adapted to the current situation.
    Even if you use the who's predictions it still doesn't match what they reported even worse case.

Boggles wrote: »
    Is there a source for this?

We got this from one of our children’s schools aswell along with a copy of a letter from the government telling them to make sure to have all up to date details. Basically they are preparing schools for if they have to close

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Closing the schools would have a major impact on society. Like you say what do working parents do and most households with kids would have both working. This would have worked out fine in the 1960's and 70's, but not today. How do folks keep paying mortgages and the like? We'd have to have real leadership from government, with the banks being ordered to have a loan freeze, but that won't happen with the gibbering idiots we have in the Dail.

On the other hand closing schools would likely limit the spread of this quite substantially. One major positive about this dose is that it doesn't appear to affect children even if they catch it. However it does "use them" as a vector. They can be asymptomatic and infectious and milling together in school builds the viral reserve in the community and they then bring that home. I see this with any of the usual "bug going around" in friends with kids. Said bug is usually brought home by their kids. I saw that in action with the one that was doing the rounds at christmas. I got it from my friend, who had got it from his youngest kid who brought it home from school.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

jester77 wrote: »
    Home Office is the only way. Would be tricky managing time though. Probably have to split time with the kids and do some work later in the evenings.

Kitted out a home office for myself over the last week with stuff from IKEA and Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Pascal o donoghue was asked on the Sean o rourke show why we haven’t stopped flights from Italy coming here and amongst other things he said we need to think how Ireland would feel if a country banned us from landing or our citizens from arriving .. I was absolutely shocked that he seems to be looking at this travel ban as a insult to the Italians if it were to happen .. Am I taking him up wrong and totally over reacting or was I correct in saying that’s what his main agenda seemed to be ?

This actually perfectly summarises why Western countries aren’t handling it as well as China and developed Asian countries.

People in charge here are not only making decisions based on what is pragmatically useful, but also based on “what will whichever group say about me if I do that?”

And in a way the worst thing is, they often end up having to make the decision anyway. But they deliberately wait until the situation becomes so critical that no one can criticise anymore.

And on your specific point, i don’t think you are overreacting. If Dublin was a the main cluster in Europe and other countries started to restrict inbound travel from Ireland, I certainly wouldn’t feel insulted (saddened about the situation yes, but not insulted). Although to be honest at this stage we all know Europe has missed the boat on terms fo containing the virus to a few areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Ffs. What a savage and brutal post.

It's savage and brutal to say 390 deaths out of 20000 doesn't spell out mad max type scenarios? That is literally all I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Well that’s what he said , what he ment maybe different but that is what he said .
    I don’t really agree with the point we would be cutting off our nose to spite our face . I know a shut down for a couple of weeks would not be pleasant and would without a doubt have a huge impact on us financially, economically and otherwise but surely it’s better to suffer now for a few weeks rather then wait a few weeks and have months of possible hardship then ? Boats and trains are a lesser evil here in the fact there are not that many of them arriving to Ireland daily as opposed to flights . In 1 day along last week I counted 8 flights from Milan airports never mind all the other Italian routes . Surely we can close down the air travel and possible police and protect easier for a few weeks with the boats and other modes given that we are dealing with much few numbers for those ?

This all sounds logical in my head but I’m not a economist or otherwise so maybe my ideas are totally off the wall in reality 🀣 but I’m coming from a “do what ever we need to do to protect our children and our people “ point of view but I do realise in reality it’s maybe not as simple as that.
    screamer wrote: »
    That’s what he said, but is that what he meant? I don’t think so. If we shut down flights, then it turns to ferries, what next? As an island we are very dependent on those modes of transport to survive. It could be a case of cutting off our nose to spite our face

Drumpot wrote: »
    We got this from one of our children’s schools aswell along with a copy of a letter from the government telling them to make sure to have all up to date details. Basically they are preparing schools for if they have to close

The schools are definitely closing.

It's just a case of when.

I have made plans for it to happen Monday/Wednesday.

Would be nice if there was some information share on this to give people time to plan.

But sure, Harris is on twitter this morning trying to channel Churchill whilst simultaneously saying fúck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

I wonder is there any chance this corona virus might help Mayo win Sam this year?

Only if its victims include the last 2 survivors of the 1951 team.
    Which just for absolute clarity, I'm not wishing for at all.

Bob24 wrote: »
    This actually perfectly summarises why Western countries aren’t handling it as well as China and developed Asian countries.

People in charge are not only making decisions based on what is pragmatically useful, but also based on “why will whichever group say about me if I do that?”

And in a way the worst thing is, they often end up having to make the decision anyway. But they deliberately wait until the situation becomes so critical that no one can criticise anymore.

That’s why it’s great there are so many good online alternative sources to see more unfiltered information. Obviously there’s a lot of bullsh*t but there’s equally good stuff.

In times like this, you have financial bodies pulling at governments who in turn will be manipulating WHO (like for example to totally change their interpretation of a pandemic so they don’t have to call it that) to try and keep their press conferences watered down. Both WHO and the governments have totally underplayed this and still are doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

sydthebeat wrote: »
    That could be a post about my mother as well. She's 72 and still in good health, but it's a struggle to get her to understand she has to avoid going to unnecessary gatherings. She went out last night to a play! It's a very tricky balance to get the point across without scaring her into being a hermit with no human contact
    My mother is crazy. She helps her sister out 8 hours a week in a shop. She's asking to be infected. Won't listen to a word we say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Just like here in Dublin so where most people are just going about their day as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

It's savage and brutal to say 390 deaths out of 20000 doesn't spell out mad max type scenarios? That is literally all I said.

This isn't about absolute numbers, its about making sure those numbers dont all come together, overwhelm our health system and result in decisions having to be made regarding who gets treatment and who dosen't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

josip wrote: »
    Only if its victims include the last 2 survivors of the 1951 team.
    Which just for absolute clarity, I'm not wishing for at all.

I just spit out my tea laughing at this!!!
    You fu$ker ...now I’m going to hell too.

This is brilliant 🀣 and describes them exactly !!!

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Irish "government". Earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭shmeee

This is nothing but standard procedure in a time like such.

Majority of the public sector will come into an email today telling them to update their personal contact details on their profiles.

I've updated mine accordingly there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

spookwoman wrote: »

This means they are not testing all admissions into hospital as a matter of safety and routine? That should be a matter of urgency and sense.

The schools are definitely closing.

It's just a case of when.

I have made plans for it to happen Monday/Wednesday.

Would be nice if there was some information share on this to give people time to plan.

But sure, Harris is on twitter this morning trying to channel Churchill whilst simultaneously saying fúck all.

I’m going a step further, if anybody asks I’m suggesting that I think once schools close it’s prob until September. But to keep an eye on Italy for a peak into the future. I can’t see Italy schools opening in April.

Axfrderr wrote: »
    This isn't about absolute numbers, its about making sure those numbers dont all come together, overwhelm our health system and result in decisions having to be made regarding who gets treatment and who dosen't.
    Yes, but again if that does come to pass while it most definitely will be a personal tragedy for many, it won't lead to societal collapse which I think is TH's point.

I suspect it may well come to pass too. The Irish leadership in this is frightening in its lack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Jesus.
    Watching trump last night saying his uncle was a scientist and a genius.
    That’s how he understands this virus so well. Doctors do be amazed at his grasp of the situation.

Graces7 can we just come and pitch a tent in your garden ? Off shore islands away from mainland and somewhat isolated seems like the safest place to be right now !

Graces7 wrote: »
    I read last week that Musgrave, who run Supervalu and another chain ,are working to ensure supply lines.
    It will be up to these firms rather than the govt. Private enterprise has more to lose in real terms. Of course. And with all the prevarications the supermarkets have had abundant warning of the dangers .

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

was this a Primary or Secondary school & have you exam students?

laurah591 wrote: »

Primary schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Denmark, a similar population to us seeing an exponential rise now in cases, hundreds. Someone posted yesterday that Denmark's geography, as a peninsula, works against them with this but it can easily be those figures in a few days here.

This is brilliant �� and describes them exactly !!!
    It's why that show was so bloody brilliant. It uncomfortably exposed most political thinking in the west in a very funny way. Though you'd need to add another layer of shuffling parish pump gombeen men to make it more local to Ireland.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Jesus.
    That’s how he understands this virus so well. Doctors do be amazed at his grasp of the situation.

He didn't know the flu killed people, turns out his grandfather died because of the flu.

They need to section him, he is little more than a wild ranting and raving conspiracy theorist who is going to get a shít load of people killed.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »

I spoke with a friend whose wife works for musgraves and they have supposedly ordered 5 months supply of pasta.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Graces7 can we just come and pitch a tent in your garden ? Off shore islands away from mainland and somewhat isolated seems like the safest place to be right now !

Nothing but bad storms on that island. You'd be safer with the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭VanHalen

I’m going a step further, if anybody asks I’m suggesting that I think once schools close it’s prob until September. But to keep an eye on Italy for a peak into the future. I can’t see Italy schools opening in April.

https://www.into.ie/false-reports-regarding-school-closures.html

INTO saying the claims are false. Individual schools may make the decision but they seem to think Dept of Education will not close all schools

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Jesus.
    It has really exposed how much of a huckster Trump is. Then again you could wheel in most US presidents of late and though they'd make prettier ghost written speeches I strongly suspect the upshot would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Did anybody hear the reports that the virus is far more contagious then they thought! Supposedly Chinese studies suggested that a person on a bus got the virus 4.5 metres distance away. Just as alarming was that another person was traced to getting the virus on a bus 30 minutes after the infected person got off. This is apparently one of the reasons why a mask would offer some protection!

Also can last for days on surfaces and lasts longer on 37oC or lower so we can forget about our summer helping us out.

Also, USA are in big trouble, most people won’t be able to afford to be tested.

If you don’t know who is in the YouTube club watch more videos (he tells you who he is) or don’t annoy me. He’s been calling this pretty much spot on since early January and he has the credentials to discuss this better then anybody I’ve read in any of these threads.

The virus won't be stopped by the Summer, that's a fact
    SARS and MERS were spreading in hot weathers. They were stopped through effective containment, they didn't go away by themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

VanHalen wrote: »
    https://www.into.ie/false-reports-regarding-school-closures.html

INTO saying the claims are false. Individual schools may make the decision but they seem to think Dept of Education will not close all schools

Sure, paddy's day wasn't cancelled til it was.

I love a good storm ! When I’m inside looking out at it obviously 😜
    Nothing but bad storms on that island. You'd be safer with the virus

He didn't know the flu killed people, turns out his grandfather died because of the flu.

They need to section him, he is little more than a wild ranting and raving conspiracy theorist who is going to get a shít load of people killed.
    He's the knucklehead's knucklehead made good and there are a lot of knuckleheads in the world. Dumbing down for the mob rarely loses votes or money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

laurah591 wrote: »

Secondary school here
    Checks to make sure students online logins are working
    Being told to bring home all their books this Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Regarding the Italy lockdown, I'm not sure how it works exactly.

Friend of mine is teaching in Rome at the moment. His hours have been cut in half since this all started, and is expected to teach classes remotely over Skype and spend some time in the school. As a result he cannot afford to pay his rent so he is flying home tomorrow. Not sure how he's circumventing the "lockdown".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement