Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The virus won't be stopped by the Summer, that's a fact
    SARS and MERS were spreading in hot weathers. They were stopped through effective containment, they didn't go away by themselves

I think that’s part of the reason why things have been ramping up. If they thought they could get away with it (summer saving us) , we’d prob be still looking at the parades going ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The death rate on more than 70K closed cases is rising for the 3rd day in a row, now up to 6.06%
    On the other hand the % of critical cases looks inaccurate due to Iran not reporting any critical cases, unrealistic

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Axfrderr wrote: »
    This isn't about absolute numbers, its about making sure those numbers dont all come together, overwhelm our health system and result in decisions having to be made regarding who gets treatment and who dosen't.

Absolutely agree...one death from this is too many.I was just responding to the mad max scenario being banded around. And those numbers won't come together if we keep doing whatever we can do personally, schools creches etc close, gatherings curtailed and self isolation becomes the norm. But of course we need our gov to start acting a bit faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

So my office of 20ish poeple have just been informed that a senior member of staff was on holidays in Italy in the last few days and came back into the office yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Irish people will die from this, it is inevitable.

But for people to be quoting tens of thousands is nothing but pure scaremongering.

• Advertisement

VanHalen wrote: »
    https://www.into.ie/false-reports-regarding-school-closures.html

INTO saying the claims are false. Individual schools may make the decision but they seem to think Dept of Education will not close all schools

I was actually chatting with one teacher and they think maybe the first death in Ireland might trigger it. That or when we hit a certain point. I wonder will it more be either a set number of community based cases or if it’s more the percentage of those being tested hits a certain point.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Jesus.
    Watching trump last night saying his uncle was a scientist and a genius.
    That’s how he understands this virus so well. Doctors do be amazed at his grasp of the situation.

He didn't...he didn't invoke the genius of his M.I.T. educated uncle once again did he?? I have to see this. If it was anything like the last time...

Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart—you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you're a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

'My Uncle was an expert in 'X' so therefore I am too. Trump reminds me of Dale from the movie Step Brothers, unfortunately...

Dr. Robert Doback: Dale quit college his junior year and said he wanted to join the family business.
    Nancy Huff: But you're a medical doctor ....
    Dr. Robert Doback: I told him that. He just said, "It's all about who you know, Dad."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

SARS and MERS were spreading in hot weathers. They were stopped through effective containment, they didn't go away by themselves
    +1 They also stopped because they were more fatal and likely most of all because patients weren't contagious until obviously ill. Outside of Hollywood, ebola and the like will almost certainly never go worldwide pandemic because of obvious sickness and lethality. Covid-19 is not particularly aggressive, or fatal and is much more contagious which makes it so terribly dangerous.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

NIMAN wrote: »

But for people to be quoting tens of thousands is nothing but pure scaremongering.

The more people get infected the more people will die, it's pure maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Regarding the Italy lockdown, I'm not sure how it works exactly.

Friend of mine is teaching in Rome at the moment. His hours have been cut in half since this all started, and is expected to teach classes remotely over Skype and spend some time in the school. As a result he cannot afford to pay his rent so he is flying home tomorrow. Not sure how he's circumventing the "lockdown".
    People who have their residence outside of Italy are allowed to repatriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

sydthebeat wrote: »
    That could be a post about my mother as well. She's 72 and still in good health, but it's a struggle to get her to understand she has to avoid going to unnecessary gatherings. She went out last night to a play! It's a very tricky balance to get the point across without scaring her into being a hermit with no human contact
    Had a right barney with the Mrs last night, on about flying my 79 year old mother in law from the UK over to us in Luxembourg :(

She's exact same as your Mum sounds, fully independent, busy social life, etc.

Tried to get my Mrs to understand that it was too late already, and that travelling and going through airports was most dangerous aspect of it (not helped by fact that with FlyBe gone, now she can't go via Manchester, she has to go via southern airport).

We ended up settling on 'by the end of this week latest, or not at all'. I have a good relationship with my M-i-L...but secretely, I'm praying she turns down her daughter and sticks to her 'carry on as normal' in the UK. For her sake more than anything else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/99104a-covid-19-coronavirus/

Official government guidelines on sick pay for those interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Aye, yesterday.;)

Sorry. Bloody Google , not for the first time,is making an eejit out of me !

At least one of the UK cases is related to travel in Australia.
    This is in addition to the UK case originated in Singapore (the businessman who then travel to the sky resort in France)
    "One England sequence clusters distantly with Australian sequences. These may be related by travel history."

https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1237516085785702406

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What containment measures happened with them outbreaks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm due to travel from Scotland to Northern Ireland in 7 days. Not sure it would be responsible for me to go on a bus and a ferry to my parents. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I was wondering when the ridiculous norm of grown adults being forced to share apartments was going to come home to roost.

Lol, your statement is out of touch with reality... what an idiotic agenda.
    Will we see sanctions and huge fines for China?

Will we see China apologising for causing the deaths of thousands of people through their disgusting practices? Ruining plans, weddings, holidays, sporting events?

Will we fck. We'll just pretend this all 'just happened'.

HAHAHA what planet are you living on? Who are you going to sue for the thousands of flu related deaths? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    The advice on travel was relatively clear - essential travel only. Since when is skiing essential travel?

The advice on isolation was less clear.

So all are at fault. A complete clusterf*ck.

Haven't left the house since the outbreak, have you? :rolleyes:

These threads are filled to the brim with hysterical nonsense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

wibbs you are a dangerous person

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Regarding the Italy lockdown, I'm not sure how it works exactly.

Friend of mine is teaching in Rome at the moment. His hours have been cut in half since this all started, and is expected to teach classes remotely over Skype and spend some time in the school. As a result he cannot afford to pay his rent so he is flying home tomorrow. Not sure how he's circumventing the "lockdown".

Rents in Italy are very cheap, he probably only wants to come back to Ireland and get away from infected areas. It is a dangerous behavior, I hope strict precautions will be taken for people flying back to Ireland from infected areas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Please stop talking about the death/stats. Its been about 4 weeks you have been saying the same thing.

• Advertisement

yasmina wrote: »
    I probably missed this in an earlier post but what happened in Italy with regard to food shortages? Am I right in thinking that there were initial shortages but now supermarkets are well stocked again?
    There have never been any shortages as such.
    Some people basically emptied the shelves in panic (same as the toilet paper obsession in Australia).
    Shelves are fully restocked on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Always the optimist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

You would need to come over and scare my mother.
    Obstinate and thick as two short planks, won't use sanitising fluid where it's provided.
    Mine would be like that too.

Some just can't be talked to. They know best:(

Grandchildren, if they have any.
    I've found that as a last resort, "think of your grandchildren :)" can sometimes get the message across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Angela Merkel was saying 70% of Germany's pop. will be infected, I think it's quite irresponsible - this will only cause panic.

That means at least 1M deaths in Germany

(87M*0.7*0.02 = 1,148,000

Can anyone see that scenario ?? really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Boggles wrote: »
    They need to section him, he is little more than a wild ranting and raving conspiracy theorist who is going to get a shít load of people killed.

Sounds a lot like most posters on this thread!

owlbethere wrote: »
    What containment measures happened with them outbreaks

the same as always, only they worked better because the virus showed symptoms more quickly and most of all the virus had a higher death rate and killed within a few days

Always the optimist.

Sure I'm not delusional

Just another reminder to people to stock up on whatever meds you need for a few months. Was talking with my pharmacist yesterday and people have started to stock up big time. Don’t forget cal poly for the kids and maybe some vitamins aswell

There is footage of some fairly big ques in UK. You can see us going that way.

Rents in Italy are very cheap, he probably only wants to come back to Ireland and get away from infected areas. It is a dangerous behavior, I hope strict precautions will be taken for people flying back to Ireland from infected areas
    I think that everyone should always be allowed to repatriate from anywhere.
    European Countries did repatriate their own citizens from Wuhan, and then quarantined them.

Therefore, whoever repatriates (even on a commercial flight, say from Paris) should isolate themselves for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Angela Merkel was saying 70% of Germany's pop. will be infected, I think it's quite irresponsible - this will only cause panic.

The numbers are scary, but the logic behind them is correct
    I applaud her attempt at giving people a wake-up call before it's too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

We've been at home for a week now. We weren't able to get hand sanitiser before we decided to self isolate. Today we have to go out to get food. Hopefully we will find sanitiser before too long and keep our hands clean as we go. A curse on those people with multiple bottles of hand sanitiser tucked away "just in case".

We both have health issues that might well make infection very serious for us. I've been coughing for a couple of weeks, but no fever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I think we can get a little bit carried away with the figures. When they mentioned 1.9m people catching the virus, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the 1.9m will have severe enough symptoms to even get diagnosed. Working death rates off these numbers might be erroneous.

At what stage do you think it’s not irresponsible to say what experts are advising or predicting? I’m not having a go at you, I just think they have only so many ways of getting populations to cop on and take this seriously. People whining about sporting events being cancelled says a lot about what they are having to deal with.

I appreciate there is a fine line between panic and preparing but western democracy’s can’t shut themselves down like China. They also don’t seem to be able to manage this like other Asian countries. So their only methods may be to frighten populations into doing what has to be done.

Thewife wrote: »
    Pascal o donoghue was asked on the Sean o rourke show why we haven’t stopped flights from Italy coming here and amongst other things he said we need to think how Ireland would feel if a country banned us from landing or our citizens from arriving
    He is worried on the effect on Irish tourism.
    He has seen the Italian tourism industry ground to a halt and he is afraid of that to happen in Ireland once the number of cases start ramping up to a three digit number.
    He should realise that tourism is now stopping for a while - until the epidemic is contained Worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well if you were high risk then people would be more likely to take a chance on a vaccine.

No necessarily, as some folk with autoimmune problems cannot take vaccines,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

If they're self absorbed enough to go to Cheltenham at a time like this you can be sure they'll be in the office Monday boasting about it. Many of them were probably on skiing holidays a few weeks ago.

It's not guaranteed that anybody from Chetenham would have had the disease. It was a bit of a gamble, but a gamble it was.

I see that the number of cases have risen here since I last checked. I assume that this is in some way connected to northern Italy? Allowing people to come in here from northern Italy without any checks, isolation, or screening wasn't a gamble. It was guaranteed that there would be carriers among these people.

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how countries like Italy are coping with funerals ?
    Neither weddings nor funerals are taking place in Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Keeping the people in our country safe and alive is what should be the most important thing on his and their minds ! Tourism might die for a short term but it will resurrect itself eventually , people who might die from this can never be resurrected !
    otnomart wrote: »
    He has seen the Italian tourism industry ground to a halt and he is afraid of that to happen in Ireland once the number of cases start ramping up to a three digit number.
    He should realise that tourism is now stopping for a while - until the epidemic is contained Worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Mr.S wrote: »
    What’s the obsession with hand sanitiser? Isn’t warm water and soap just as effective?

Handy when out, surgical gloves are better and they can be gotton on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I think we can get a little bit carried away with the figures. When they mentioned 1.9m people catching the virus, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the 1.9m will have severe enough symptoms to even get diagnosed. Working death rates off these numbers might be erroneous.

It is of course. The vast majority will probably never know they had it. People have to stop panicking...and stop hoarding bog roll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

What’s the obsession with hand sanitiser? Isn’t warm water and soap just as effective?

Soap and water is hard to use when you're out and about.
    And out and about is where you most need to keep your hands clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

While at first glance the numbers do seem ludicrous to me- that’s the way the trends are pointing.

The lunacy of the numbers needs to be qualified by the fact that i have not lived through something like this before and don’t have a great understanding of what’s gona happen.

I’d imagine the 2% rate will fall off as people take preventative measures and a better understanding of the virus comes about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

Not very useful when out and about though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

While at first glance the numbers do seem ludicrous to me- that’s the way the trends are pointing.

The lunacy of the numbers needs to be qualified by the fact that i have not lived through something like this before and don’t have a great understanding of what’s gona happen.

I’d imagine the 2% rate will fall off as people take preventative measures and a better understanding of the virus comes about

This.

I've been saying all along that as soon as one person dies in this country from it, the place will effectively shut down whether the government say anything or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

More effective
    Hand gel should be for when you are out and about
    Also no good for heavily soiled hands
    You really cant beat good ol soap and water...providing you use it correctly of course a quick splash isn't good enough...at least 30 seconds,good lather,between fingers and don't neglect the thumb give it a good lather too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gozunda wrote: »
    Detention School best place for the little darlings...

Most parents would agree I reckon ... :D

Old saying.. " Teacher's rest, mother's pest..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Stupid question

I assume this cant be stopped until we find a vaccine?

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Although some of the stories from hospitals in Italy are alarming, I’m guessing that the biggest cause of a high rate like that, even in Lombardy, is still underdiagnosis of asymptomatic and mild cases. One way to assess this is the number of tests. Until Italy reaches South Korean levels of testing at least, it is probably missing thousands of cases and thus inflating its fatality rate.
    Massive effort from Italy which yesterday reached 60000 tests.

The new fast test will also help with this:

Italian company DiaSorin completes studies for launch of rapid response molecular test for covid-19

https://uk.reuters.com/article/brief...-idUKFWN2B21CB

product expected to be launched in Europe CE marked and submitted to FDA under emergency use authorization process by end of March 2020
    test to enable sample-to-answer results within 60 minutes compared to 5-7 hours currently necessary to report patient results

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

wibbs you are a dangerous person
    Probably. C'mere and I'll cough on you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

otnomart wrote: »

I’m curious to know how much this will cost in the long run. You’d hope that it’s maybe 6 months disruption and even if there is a second wave in winter we would possibly be more prepared. With a potential vaccine possibly next summer let’s say this could really stagnate things for a year.

If most countries go through something similar then they all have a similar problem to resolve. I would of thought it reasonable to assume that , like 2008, most things will recover. Tourism in particular should surely bounce back as it’s not like this virus is unique to Ireland.

The only way it can cause as much or more damage as 2008 is if there is a contagion effect that causes other issues like lots of bank defaults (watch PCP finance possibly collapse) which is prob a bigger issue then what we will directly see. But on the flip side if everybody is suggesting the same perhaps there will be some sort of global reboot were debt isn’t necessarily written off but is remanaged (like they are sort of talking about doing)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement