Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

i heard that for some viruses, if one person catches it, fights it, and passes it on, the next person doesnt get it as bad because the first person's immune system has weakened the virus. i havent heard this idea come up in discussion.

anyone know?

this is different to the herd immunisation, as im not talking about people having had a vaccine.

This has to be the most misinformed and, frankly, idiotic statement I have seen yet. The smallest google search would have shown this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

owlbethere wrote: »
    If leo and some members of government still go flying for Paddy's Day shamrock giving, it very careless of them, furthering endangering our country and people.

I heard Simon coveney saying he was going to cut short his visits to various countries for Patrick's day. As if he was doing us a favour by coming back sooner.

My reaction was either don't go or go for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Graces7 wrote: »
    Absolutely! Thank you. Each is different and we trust our own advisers .

This comes up frequently; I have had the same response from every GP when I have moved county. NO vaccines in your case. And I trust that. The ramifications in my case - and I am already vaccine damaged - make the vaccine more dangerous than catching flu.

Hence my isolated way of life in a very remote place.

You didn't say "some" people with immune deficiencies couldn't take vaccines. Be careful about spreading misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

I say 20% as a sop to the screeching 'you are just hysterical' type of posters.

I'd see 20% as a minimum, with a corresponding 20K fatalities here, given current estimates. If 20K fatalities is not acceptable to you, you should be in the camp of acting fast and effectively to try and stamp out the disease.
    But running and hiding from the disease won’t kill it, sorry for being a “screeching you are just hysterical “ type of poster, which btw is a great example to use as a definition of hypocrisy!!!

So you're saying you're a Garda or plumber?

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

whats happening in russia?....are they not reporting cases or testing ?.....or are they really not getting hit as hard....i see countries further away from equator like greenland not getting hit, but russia has hard hit countries like sweden and finland beside it....mongolia the same with low figures and china and south korea beside it.....and then theres turkeys numbers.
    its a curiosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Beanybabog wrote:
    Anyone who assumes people can work from home when the schools are closed obviously doesn’t have small kids. I have remote access and work part time and the most I can do is a couple of emails from home if the kids are here

This is very true and the reason why we are quite strict about working from home in our workplace and childminding. There would be trouble tbh if someone was on a conference call and heard kids in the background. I have small kids too and you just can't be working while minding them. Yes you can maybe take a call and respond to a few emails but that's what I do as standard in the evenings and outside working hours anyway. I couldn't put down a day of work with kids around and when I have had to take days off to mind kids I have been upfront with my employer and taken parental leave rather than pretend I can work from home so there is a lot to consider...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

dougm1970 wrote: »
    whats happening in russia?....are they not reporting cases or testing ?.....or are they really not getting hit as hard....i see countries further away from equator like greenland not getting hit, but russia has hard hit countries like sweden and finland beside it....mongolia the same with low figures and china and south korea beside it.....and then theres turkeys numbers.
    its a curiosity.

Are they testing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

spookwoman wrote: »
    You said

You may have been told not to get vaccinated but that does not mean everyone else with autoimmune issues cannot.

Doctors and medical people advise everyone to get vaccinated for the Flu and like every medication SOME people will not be able to. Please do not make sweeping statements about people with autoimmune issues.

From CDC Site
    People who SHOULD NOT get the flu shot:

Children younger than 6 months of age are too young to get a flu shot.
    People with severe, life-threatening allergies to flu vaccine or any ingredient in the vaccine. This might include gelatin, antibiotics, or other ingredients. See Special Considerations Regarding Egg Allergy for more information about egg allergies and flu vaccine.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/whoshouldvax.htm

I have amended my post.

However your response was still unacceptable; you went too far the other way.
    Far too far.
    Over and out from me Bye

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

IBTL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭facehugger99

i heard that for some viruses, if one person catches it, fights it, and passes it on, the next person doesnt get it as bad because the first person's immune system has weakened the virus. i havent heard this idea come up in discussion.

True - also if you're in a house with three or more people, two of them are able to gang up on the virus at the one time which substantially reduces both the infection period and the severity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyone have any stats from when influenza hit and how many deaths it had in say same period as corona, people aww here at few deaths, when we had 100 confirmed from flu alone - easily treatable and preventable, but reality is those at risk can still die,

and while some think brits taking no action and accounting for deaths, id say its fare, as eventually most will get it, but judging by the symptoms its only severe cases and small % that have highest risk.

as someone made comparison to road deaths, cancer etc - in many cases it can be stopped or prevented but reality is it still happens on daily basis, and coronavirus would need more then few thousand deaths to compare whats going ww daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

dougm1970 wrote: »
    its a curiosity.

Not reporting/not testing. Viruses don't stop at country borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fast moving thread, so apologies if already asked.

Is it a case that if you contract this - and recover - you can still recatch it - ie no immunisation built up to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

No, it's realistic. People don't self isolate when they have hiv, flu, hepatitis, scabies, impetago and a whole list of illnesses.

Some people also can't just not go to work or raise their kids.

It's a virus, it will spread. The vast majority will not die just as the vast majority do not die from the common flu but some do.

Christ people are getting so carried away. The dead have not risen!

No but as a taxi driver I get really pissed off at people getting into the confined space of my taxi with a cold, cough, flu symptom whatever because they were stupid enough to go to the pub or wherever and expect to get home as normal. Covid or not if you're not well stay the **** off work until you're better and definitely stay the **** out of taxis etc.

scamalert wrote: »
    anyone have any stats from when influenza hit and how many deaths it had in say same period as corona, people aww here at few deaths, when we had 100 confirmed from flu alone - easily treatable and preventable, but reality is those at risk can still die,

and while some think brits taking no action and accounting for deaths, id say its fare, as eventually most will get it, but judging by the symptoms its only severe cases and small % that have highest risk.

as someone made comparison to road deaths, cancer etc - in many cases it can be stopped or prevented but reality is it still happens on daily basis, and coronavirus would need more then few thousand deaths to compare whats going ww daily

<0.1% death rate for flu
    1 - 3% death rate for COVID19

10 to 30 times more fatal and only not spreading because people are being MUCH more careful than during flu season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I find this website a good resource for finding the latest medical studies coming from China and translating it into laymans terms.
    Odd seeing Apple, Cork on their newsfeed.

The site is a little alarmist, and has been hinting that we are not getting the full story for a while now, but unfortunately has been ahead of the curve with the 'bad' news..

This caught my attention:
    "Meanwhile, despite about 53 documented reported deaths of patients who had recovered in China coupled with more than about 612 documented cases of reinfections of recovered patents, there has been no further reports or studies about the effects of residual or dormant viral loads in those that have ’recovered’. Two such studies were immediately removed by orders of the Chinese authorities immediately after they were published on the Chinese open platform: http://www.chinaxiv.org/home.htm last week. There was also an unconfirmed report by provincial health authorities in Zhejiang saying that about 4,724 recovered patients have been hospitalized nationwide for other developed health conditions.

Many healthcare professionals and researchers elsewhere would like to know about the health and medical conditions of the more than 61,481 ‘recovered’ cases in China."

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/breaking-more-emerging-chinese-research-studies-shows-that-the-sars-cov-2-coronavirus-also-attacks-the-kidneys,-pancreas-and-liver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

sanjose1 wrote: »
    Kilkenny tradfest going ahead here tomorrow, ah sure we will be grand

Anyone who attends needs to take a hard look at themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What about a policy of staggered isolation. Can’t shut down everything or quarantine everyone but maybe do it on a local basis. Would keep business activity going and allow HSE to deal with cases in a more streamlined fashion, rather than a bottleneck.

Never gonna happen and would probably achieve nothing but cake to my mind there.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Fast moving thread, so apologies if already asked.

Is it a case that if you contract this - and recover - you can still recatch it - ie no immunisation built up to it?

Possible reinfection, like any disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'm immunocompromised (I'm on methotrexate for psoriatic arthritis) and anyone with my condition is encouraged by medical professionals to get the flu vaccine every year.

Glad it works for you. For me, more dangerous than getting flu. We are all and each different.

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

anyone know?

I heard it was the size of four cats, and has a retractable leg so it can leap at you better. Also it's luminous in the dark, has four ears, two are normal ears and the other two are just backup ears. It claws the size of cups, an unexplained phobia of stamps, a magnetic tail, and instead of a face it has four arses.

scamalert wrote: »

Covid 19 is 10 to 15 times more deadly than the flu,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Hello all,

Today I am worrying,

I don’t smoke and have never had breathing issues, but I am feeling an ever so slight sensation in my chest and if I breath out hard I can hear a very slight wheezing.

The question I have is who do you call if you think you should be tested and I am hearing the test is €500? Surley that’s Bo**ox?

zippy84 wrote: »
    I heard it was the size of four cats, and has a retractable leg so it can leap at you better. Also it's luminous in the dark, has four ears, two are normal ears and the other two are just backup ears. It claws the size of cups, an unexplained phobia of stamps, a magnetic tail, and instead of a face it has four arses.

Stop describing Simon Harris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

Beasty wrote: »
    IBTL

Somebody is enjoying their modding today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

sanjose1 wrote: »
    Kilkenny tradfest going ahead here tomorrow, ah sure we will be grand

Yea, this is the bit that annoys me. Every single parade is cancelled but there are still large scale events continuing - do it right and cancel all gatherings over say 1,000 people or don't do it at all but what's the point picking and choosing. There's big Gaa matches and concerts on this weekend that will have thousands of people at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

Part VI soon?

• Advertisement

Hello all,

Today I am worrying,

I don’t smoke and have never had breathing issues, but I am feeling an ever so slight sensation in my chest and if I breath out hard I can hear a very slight wheezing.

The question I have is who do you call if you think you should be tested and I am hearing the test is €500? Surley that’s Bo**ox?

Phone your GP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement