Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Anyone got a slinky to the dept of health press conference?

As I understand it's going to be on RTE News Now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I just had a check through the Boards threads on the Swine Flu pandemic back in 2009. The thread was discussing that 25% of the population could get the illness. in the end 1000 people in Ireland caught it. So i'm thinking this is more panic than what the reality actually will be.

No comparison with the rates with Covid 19 and deaths in Europe and Swine flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

No coronavirus update today by Tony Holohan, could that mean no new cases in the past 24hrs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

sdanseo wrote: »
    You think 2 million people needing a hospital in the UK over the same short period is not Wild?
    That's a strong potential forecast, nothing wild about the projection.

The results of the event itself will of course be wild at its peak.
    Many parks and public spaces will be used as temporary mortuarys there (as has been planned for already).

The over 60's likely provide a very great contribution, with age comes wisdom and experience, many good managers, leaders and specalists of their industries may be lost for a generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

leavingirl wrote: »
    You're a hero.
    A true patriot
    What did they say that's so terrible?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Madrid schools to shut - Sky News.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Can someone explain the run on toilet roll. I understand the hand sanitiser and disinfectant thing but toilet roll?? It just makes no sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Shn99 wrote: »
    No coronavirus update today by Tony Holohan, could that mean no new cases in the past 24hrs?

update at 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

PhantomHat wrote: »
    Can anyone give a likely timescale to all of this, in other words predicted time to peak of infections in Ireland and eventual wane?

Impossible to say with any certainty due to too many variables and unknowns , anyone who claims otherwise is lying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just had a check through the Boards threads on the Swine Flu pandemic back in 2009. The thread was discussing that 25% of the population could get the illness. in the end 1000 people in Ireland caught it. So i'm thinking this is more panic than what the reality actually will be.

It'll probably be somewhere in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Your taking what you want to hear from my post, my post was in response to the op saying supermarkets would be empty. Of course I know things will be affected but not everyone is going be out of action. The vast majority will be ok and will be able to provide for others.

Its been interesting reading about how they dealt with lockdown in china. Certain people such as food delivery drivers got a special license to continue to work and people received basic grocery packages and could still order food from some places. Each apartment building also had a person who would take notes of prescriptions and medication that was needed and be the person who would go an get those on a rota basis. I really cant see a situation like mass lockdown or quarantine being that orderly in the vast majority of countries. Sure, most will be well and be able to provide for others, but will they want to? I'm sure it would quickly become every person for themselves/families and screw everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

God knows what the figures will be like after the Cheltenham bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

R.F. wrote: »
    I realise this is not an important issue in the grand scheme of things. But just realised I have 3 nights booked in Dublin in june as I am attending a couple of gigs. If what I believe will happen and concerts begin to get postponed, I no longer will require the room. Chekeced my email now and it is nonrefundable. But I wonder in extreme cases like you know a global pandemic will there be allowances?

I doubt it very much. That is why they are non refundable...puts the risk on you. If things get bad hotels will be financially fcked and not giving out refunds unless they really have to.
    Your travel insurance will pay up if you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Can someone explain the run on toilet roll. I understand the hand sanitiser and disinfectant thing but toilet roll?? It just makes no sense!

in case people can't leave their house once their normal supply runs out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Phew!

Some good news at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

We are in a serious situation I can not believe the amount of downright stupid posts in the last half hour alone.

Can we put a stop to this please mods?

Are you really quoting me?

Gtfo with that ****e.

Here have a link:

http://www.irishfarmersmonthly.com/1343-ireland-named-most-food-secure-country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

PhantomHat wrote: »
    Can anyone give a likely timescale to all of this, in other words predicted time to peak of infections in Ireland and eventual wane?

12wks approx, with doubling of approx 5-7 days.
    A bell epicurve, so won't finish at peak, but gradual reverse in numbers.
    50% of population penetration.

Risk of wave2 mutations (still too early to forecast for this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

ITALY 366 DEAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Spain is in trouble now, no doubt about it. It was doing ok up until a couple of days a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    God knows what the figures will be like after the Cheltenham bump.

The racing festival seems to just have made it before the U.K. will start to go to phase 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ITALY 366 DEAD

Its 463 now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Anyone got a slinky to the dept of health press conference?

Not to hand, RTE website perhaps or RTE News Now on saorview, channel 521 on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Spreading panic? Do you realize people are going to die from this? But you're worried over lost revenue over the cancellations of the parades? We're all ****ed with this, there will be money lost over this virus that's spreading across the world.

I couldn't give a hoot about revenue . I couldn't give a hoot over cancellations of parades, I do give a hoot about people's health and I certainly care about people dying. It's a sad sad situation that people will die over this.

What I care about is people spreading untrue facts that put people into a frenzy and your "we're all ***** with this" is a prime example of my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

From creches to universities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

wakka12 wrote: »
    170 more cases in Spain, 1200 there now surpassing Germany

First death in British Columbia Canada

Imagine what is happening undetected in the developing world right now with this virus

Thats what I don't understand - apart from Iran it has not taken hold in developing world , I feared the worst for places like India and parts of Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

We are in a serious situation I can not believe the amount of downright stupid posts in the last half hour alone.

Stupid posts on both sides of the argument, this thread is an open discussion

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not before time

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

in case people can't leave their house once their normal supply runs out

So will they eat it if their food runs out first?

Plenty of dawkins around to not be panic buying toilet roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-are-people-panic-buying-and-why-toilet-paper-11952397

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not to hand, RTE website perhaps or RTE News Now on saorview, channel 521 on Sky.

RTÉ player ? Actually Kermit said he wants to watch it. Does the rte player show RTÉ news now ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

People seem to be struggling with this too.

I remember my dad deciding to do the weekly shop one time, he arrived home with a 2 pack of toilet roll thinking that would do a family of 5 for a week.

If you are a family, of 4 or 5 or 6 or however many, and you *all* have to self isolate for 2 weeks, you will need toilet roll, and more than you think.
    Women do (for obvious reasons) need more of it than men, so yeah, buying a few extra packs is no harm, since you can't pop to the shops every 3 days if your whole family is isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Any link to watch the briefing online?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Are you really quoting me?

Gtfo with that ****e.

Here have a link:

http://www.irishfarmersmonthly.com/1343-ireland-named-most-food-secure-country

And how do you think that food gets onto your table.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I work in distribution if you think people are going to be in work when this hits hard you are delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I got it twice, sorry for screwing the stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    RTÉ player ? Actually Kermit said he wants to watch it. Does the rte player show RTÉ news now ?

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/live/7/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Spain is in trouble now, no doubt about it. It was doing ok up until a couple of days a go.

Spain's 1st death was 14th Feb.... they must have serious community spread if it's been floating around since that date. Death rate is rapidly increasing abit like Italy's did which is very worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

Where can you watch the update?

Downlinz wrote: »
    Those are exactly the sort of numbers we're looking at if 1.9m get infected and we have a similar death rate to Italy, particularly given our lack of ICU beds.

Thats suggests a CFR of 6.3%. Sounds high to me if Italy has a CFR of less than 5 from testing only serious symptom cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What are the current chances of getting it and dieing so if your under 40. Do you really think you spreading panic at this stage is healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I think it originated after factories shut down in China and certain supply chains were feared to become scarce for surrounding areas like Hong Kong and Japan who source much of their toilet roll from China.
    People in the west then saw the images of Japanese people with shopping carts full of toilet paper and that story of an armed robbery of a van full of toilet paper in Hong Kong and thought they should stock up in just case despite most of our toilet paper in this part of the world not coming from China. :pac:

• Advertisement

Its 463 now I think

See.

Holy**** this is worse than I though it would be to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

laurah591 wrote: »
    Spain's 1st death was 14th Feb.... they must have serious community spread if it's been floating around since that date. Death rate is rapidly increasing abit like Italy's did which is very worrying

Yeah I'd imagine all EU countries are community spreading at this stage. Just some countries are a week or 2 ahead of the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Thats suggests a CFR of 6.3%. Sounds high to me if Italy has a CFR of less than 5 from testing only serious symptom cases?

Italy's health system hasn't collapsed just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Just checked there now. It’s listed in the menu on the “on now” page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’ve been following this thread and I know a lot of people have been giving out about the “sure it’s grand” attitude they perceived from the government / HSE, but I just watched Leo there and it frightened me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

thebaz wrote: »
    Thats what I don't understand - apart from Iran it has not taken hold in developing world , I feared the worst for places like India and parts of Africa
    Hot weather I assume.

niallo27 wrote: »
    What are the current chances of getting it and dieing so if your under 40. Do you really think you spreading panic at this stage is healthy.

We have lots of elderly people.

If you have symptoms you get your infected ass away from everybody else and do not spread it.

You only care about yourself is that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Coronavirus death toll in Italy rises by 100 for second day in a row, jumps from 366 to 463

https://www.rt.com/news/482676-italy-death-toll-jumps-coronavirus/

Italy is in full on meltdown, tanks in the street, riots in 27 prisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

still people in my work saying this is no worse than the regular flu. morons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement