Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Can someone explain the run on toilet roll. I understand the hand sanitiser and disinfectant thing but toilet roll?? It just makes no sense!

It just smells all wrong to me......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Unearthly wrote: »
    I see Trump is still at 'it's just a flu' stage.

On the other hand the leaders in Europe are at the 'oh bollocks' stage

Yeah he is two threads back ! Recruiting for the "it'll be grand brigade" as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Thats suggests a CFR of 6.3%. Sounds high to me if Italy has a CFR of less than 5 from testing only serious symptom cases?

It's more along the lines of a worst case scenario sort of figure but Italy has more ICU beds per capita than us, we could conceivably be one of the worst hit in the developed world with an under resourced health service and an unprepared interim government.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

I agree with you almost entirely, but just wanted to add the point that even if healthy, it wrecks your lungs.

Stop wasting my time.

You said mild cases can be left with lung damage, once it hits the lungs you are no longer mild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

A positive news:
    The first Italian patient is getting better and is now breathing unaided
    https://tg24.sky.it/milano/2020/03/09/paziente-1-coronavirus-come-sta.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Three new cases, all "Local Transmission" as the HSE puts it. Doesn't say where yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I’ve been following this thread and I know a lot of people have been giving out about the “sure it’s grand” attitude they perceived from the government / HSE, but I just watched Leo there and it frightened me

The HSE gave up on that line a day or two ago (abadonment of false positive messaging). They recently said 1.9m contracting this isn't unimaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

NYC St.Patrick's Day Parade putting up a defiant front on social media saying it has been run every year since 1762 and they haven't been told otherwise for this year yet.

Can have up to 150,000 particpants and 2 million spectators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    4 deaths in the UK
    Not bad for 70 million though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

froog wrote: »
    still people in my work saying this is no worse than the regular flu. morons.

I know some of them have started to worry today however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

We have lots of elderly people.

If you have symptoms you get your infected ass away from everybody else and do not spread it.

You only care about yourself is that it?
    There's a lot of "only old people will die so you'll be fine! :)" floating about even from statistics type people, which is disgusting. How easily they forget their parents and grandparents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

thebaz wrote: »
    Thats what I don't understand - apart from Iran it has not taken hold in developing world , I feared the worst for places like India and parts of Africa

If no one is in a wood to see a tree fall, does it make a sound? Just because you can't see some numbers on the screen in front of you, doesn't mean the things those numbers represent aren't happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

wadacrack wrote: »

Wow I was sure we would be announcing a hell of a lot more. I hope the smaller numbers continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Ireland were to slow to slow to react can we all agree on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Europe closed at -8%, the US will follow similar (-7% currently).

Oil was kicked down 20% in one day, and a price war is looming between Rus vs SA & Co.

Predict global markets will have to cease, or apply limited trading for 8-12wks during peak pandemic, then only gradual recovery towards mid-summer. Then there's a potential Wave2 in November.

Can somebody explain wave2 in November thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Three new cases, all "Local Transmission" as the HSE puts it. Doesn't say where yet.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1237090713579421696

Keep in mind it's still Twitter :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

Glad it’s only 3 but in reality 3 is very hard to believe at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

splinter65 wrote: »
    Not bad for 70 million though

It's not over yet - sheeesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

froog wrote: »
    still people in my work saying this is no worse than the regular flu. morons.

It is though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭dan786

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/live/7/

Press conference live now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

A lot better than I feared - hopefully we can keep our figures low - will be difficult

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Can someone explain the run on toilet roll. I understand the hand sanitiser and disinfectant thing but toilet roll?? It just makes no sense!

People ****ting themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I find it virtually impossible to believe the same virus that has infected thousands in the space of a couple of days in Italy and Spain has racked up less than ten here. Impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

You said mild cases can be left with lung damage, once it hits the lungs you are no longer mild.

Not true.
    Children who had very mild symptoms were scanned and lesions were seen. That's how they knew the kids had it (before the tests were developed).
    They make the point to keep an eye on it going forward in after care as lesions maybe likely in kidneys and testes as well.

Previously linked in one of my previous posts to the med article, if you want the source dig back through them. though that was over a month ago, and I havent seen any more recent updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

thebaz wrote: »
    A lot better than I feared - hopefully we can keep our figures low - will be difficult

Well the "official" figures will always be low anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Raconteuse wrote: »
    There's a lot of "only old people will die so you'll be fine! :)" floating about even from statistics type people, which is disgusting. How easily they forget their parents and grandparents.

Stats are stats. There are no emotions in statistics. Presenting stats does not mean old people are expendible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Is there an up to date list somewhere with the details of all our current cases? Sex location and transmission?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

otnomart wrote: »
    A positive news:

Three weeks of intensive care though?

It's the default for Irish people to whinge about the way things are done here but I don't see evidence that the HSE is doing a bad job overall. Any worse than any other country at least. Imagine the stressful nightmare that it is for healthcare workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Ficheall wrote: »
    Has anyone got a link to the briefing? The link Miike posted is giving me Women's Day stuff, and I don't see it listed on the RTE player On Now list..

Its on after that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sadly I think Vlad checked out weeks ago. He can only think what socks he will wear to the White House, and then what life together with Matt might be in another country. Sorry if that sounds offensive, but that's what I am getting.

So the new TS is Harris. I know he is MFH but haven't heard a word from Coveney, has anyone else?

The tragedy of all this is, there is no elected Government, only those carrying on in the interregnum. Can't blame them for not having full on control either. Although they are trying.

SF have been kind of silent too as have FF in all this. Running for cover I suspect and delighted they don't have to deal with it. I am noting this attitude for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Can somebody explain wave2 in November thing?
    This WuFlu can become seasonal (annual) and mutate slightly with time, Inf A/B, even Swineflu is still making the rounds each year, in many countries.

Our summer is flu season down in the Southern Hemisphere, so it may loiter (mutate) down in Aussieland, then come back up here again for Winter.

Vax not on cards until approx March 2021.

// Take a look at the Spanish Flu 1918, it was Wave2 that did all the damage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

VinLieger wrote: »
    Is there an up to date list somewhere with the details of all our current cases? Sex location and transmission?

No GDPR/privacy/data protection

We have some of the most draconian privacy laws in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We have lots of elderly people.

If you have symptoms you get your infected ass away from everybody else and do not spread it.

You only care about yourself is that it?

No I responded to your claims that society would break down, do you not think it would be better for the vulnerable to be isolated and the fit and able try to keep society going to provide for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

A positive news:

That’s the 38 years old marathon runner man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

harr wrote: »
    Glad it’s only 3 but in reality 3 is very hard to believe at this stage.

It's confirmed cases not the number of people with the virus. Two completely different figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A positive news:

3 weeks of intubation and ventilation is scary though. Undoubtedly he'd be dead without such intensive care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They still hiding those 3 cases in Drogheda?

• Advertisement

Coronavirus death toll in Italy rises by 100 for second day in a row, jumps from 366 to 463

https://www.rt.com/news/482676-italy-death-toll-jumps-coronavirus/

Italy is in full on meltdown, tanks in the street, riots in 27 prisons.

Tanks in the street were for a NATO scheduled training exercise...
    "the largest deployment of U.S.-based forces to Europe for an exercise in the more than 25 years."

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    Yes

joe_99 wrote: »
    Stats are stats. There are no emotions in statistics. Presenting stats does not mean old people are expendible.
    But I never said anything against the stats being presented. I'm talking about the sentiment in the posts that accompany them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Stheno wrote: »
    No GDPR/privacy/data protection

We have some of the most draconian privacy laws in the world

I mean a list of all the cases they have announced so far, they've given those basic details for each. Also that was proven to be a lie, theres no data issues around this info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I find it virtually impossible to believe the same virus that has infected thousands in the space of a couple of days in Italy and Spain has racked up less than ten here. Impossible.

At 24 cases, we have the same number of cases per capita as the UK, 4.8 per million population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Would this not be a risky enterprise in the current climate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

namloc1980 wrote: »
    3 weeks of intubation and ventilation is scary though. Undoubtedly he'd be dead without such intensive care.

It's a lot of resources that are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Expected more than 3. That's not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Cuckoo7 wrote: »

But sure it's only old people.

I mean a list of all the cases they have announced so far, they've given those basic details for each. Also that was proven to be a lie, theres no data issues around this info.

I agree there are no data issues with the info seems th HSE dont

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

chicorytip wrote: »
    What a grossly irresponsible statement by that Professor from the RCSI that this has the potential to kill up to 120,000 in Ireland. If the entire population end up infected the vast majority, including over seventies with underlying problems, will experience mild flu-like symptoms, at worst. Corona is a virus which dies and leaves the body after five days. Take paracetemol and plenty of hot drinks.
    Didn't realise we had experts on a completely new virus and both its effects and how to cope with it

Even if you are an expert in real life you are an anonymous internet poster here, so please keep such "advice" to yourself

Any questions PM me. Do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement