Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Not true.
    Children who had very mild symptoms were scanned and lesions were seen. That's how they knew the kids had it (before the tests were developed).
    They make the point to keep an eye on it going forward in after care as lesions maybe likely in kidneys and testes as well.

Previously linked in one of my previous posts to the med article, if you want the source dig back through them. though that was over a month ago, and I havent seen any more recent updates.

Ok but I was only asking for a source as it was an interesting statement and I wanted clarification, the link you provided wasn't a source. I am not disputing the validity of your statement, but hoping you can back up as I haven't heard that before

Then you came back saying don't waste my time which was rude, considering I was right, link didn't back up statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

3 out of 24 cases they can't explain how they got it.

This WuFlu can become seasonal (annual) and mutate slightly with time, Inf A/B, even Swineflu is still making the rounds each year, in many countries.

Our summer is flu season down in the Southern Hemisphere, so it may loiter (mutate) down in Aussieland, then come back up here again for Winter.

Vax not on cards until approx March 2021.

// Take a look at the Spanish Flu 1918, it was Wave2 that did all the damage.

Hopefully we can get as many as possible engaging in behaviour modification by then. Its the only way to slow this down. Maybe tonights briefing from Leo gives a kick up the arse to those unconvinced.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Is there any possibility that we might not actually reach the craziness of Italy etc? And Dr. Holohan maybe right in saying we maybe able to contain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Great news on the new numbers infected, but not for them I suppose.

Without sounding like a moaning minny, are we just behind the curve here or have we escaped the worst of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

3 cases they can't explain how they got it

Did you read the update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Raconteuse wrote: »
    It's the default for Irish people to whinge about the way things are done here but I don't see evidence that the HSE is doing a bad job overall. Any worse than any other country at least. Imagine the stressful nightmare that it is for healthcare workers.

I don't see many giving out about the HSE TBF.

It's our "leaders" who are the problem.

Case in point, Harris telling everyone that Patrick's Day will be going ahead - he was basing this advice on medical expert opinion apparently.

Do you honestly believe one medical expert said to Harris "yip it should go ahead".

There is a fine line to be struck over the economy and peoples safety.

Our government have to get it right, Italy didn't, there is now tanks on the streets, 9,000 infected and nearly 500 dead.

So if you are concerned about the HSE which is essentially people, then yes clarity from our governance needs to be demanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

There could be hundreds with it that don't know they have it and are carrying on as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭IQO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sadly I think Vlad checked out weeks ago. He can only think what socks he will wear to the White House, and then what life together with Matt might be in another country. Sorry if that sounds offensive, but that's what I am getting.

So the new TS is Harris. I know he is MFH but haven't heard a word from Coveney, has anyone else?

The tragedy of all this is, there is no elected Government, only those carrying on in the interregnum. Can't blame them for not having full on control either. Although they are trying.

SF have been kind of silent too as have FF in all this. Running for cover I suspect and delighted they don't have to deal with it. I am noting this attitude for the future.
    There was a meeting of all party leaders today and they will be briefed twice a week from now on. There's not really any room on the stage for anyone except Holohan & team with Harris periodically briefing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

namloc1980 wrote: »
    3 weeks of intubation and ventilation is scary though. Undoubtedly he'd be dead without such intensive care.
    and that for a healthy sporty 38 years old.
    Another reason for those who are acting cavalier because they "are not elderly", to take the recommendations very seriously: hands washing, no hand shaking, avoid crowded places, keep the distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Expected more than 3. That's not bad

it's still in line with a doubling every 3-4 days from when it was 9 late last week

creeping up to the early 30s by the 11th march would be in line with that.

even if it's as far as 5-6 days we are still trending that direction, don't let small increases this early on the curve lull anyone into a false sense of security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Watchiing the Italian figures will really give us an indication of peak , and hopefully recovery , similar to China and South Korea -
    Obviously the Italian figures today were horriic, but I believe ther was less deaths than yesterday, hopefuly soon we will see similar drops as in China.

Stheno wrote: »
    Did you read the update?
    the CMO just said '3 out of 24 cases they can't explain how they got it. '

If the numbers are high, get hysterical. When the numbers are low, claim they’re not right anyways and get hysterical. That’s these 5 threads summed up really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Did they outline the time frame the test were taken over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Accused of same. "Stockpiling"..knew this would happen (don't blame people considering we have no masks and people want to avoid crowds) tried to warn others and did extra shops weeks ago..ive immunocompromised people to think of here.

If the country is proavctive not reactive we would have some chance. People off sick now with flu symptoms are quizzed have they been to an isolated area etc.
    It's beyond that, should be self isolation if flu symptoms -the End. We know it's gone communiyy based.
    Hoping this is the next step, self isolation regardless of where you've been. It's possible I've missed this.

Thank you for this post.We did right by slowly and gradually getting extra stocks in. Thankfully folk around me wholeheartedly supported this. Long term isolation because of being immunocompromised makes us careful where supplies are concerned. And inconsiderate to ask folk later to shop because we did not make provision and are too unwell or with symptoms and need to self isolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

But sure it's only old people.

It is an outlier for someone that age with no underlying illness. He ran a marathon and a half marathon not long before being diagnosed so maybe that sort of strain on his body weakend iss immune system.

He apparently met and mixed with lots of people around running those events and is theorised that this caused a rapid spread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

the CMO just said the above

All apparently contact with confirmed cases earlier in this thread from Virgin media

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

niallo27 wrote: »
    No I responded to your claims that society would break down, do you not think it would be better for the vulnerable to be isolated and the fit and able try to keep society going to provide for them.
    This reminds me of The Simpsons: "Old people don't need companionship - they need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use." Not having a go - I agree with you, it's just every time I see something like that said, I lol.

Humour is important right now imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The number presented by the HSE is far better than many of us expected.

It really does mean the throughput of the testing service needs to be shared.

There are significant numbers of people known to be exposed up to last Friday.
    The Glasnevin school, the band, the 177 medical staff already exposed and the contact tracing of other known cases has to account for a large of the 1000 tests that were spoken about last Friday.

How many have made it through the NVLS process since?
    I posted earlier that I was expecting @35 to tally with numbers I had been privy to.

The small rise, albeit welcome doesn't tally with information to hand.

The number of differential versus confirmed diagnosis is still not disclosed.

The number in isolation, doesn't tally with the number of diagnosis and be it due to a clogged system or misreporting?

Something is amiss somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Level 42 wrote: »
    There could be hundreds with it that don't know they have it and are carrying on as normal

Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

Let's stick to the facts at hand shall we? Three further people have been confirmed as having contracted Covid-19 today. That is a lot less than some have been predicting on here anyway.

And thankfully, still no deaths.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Expected more than 3. That's not bad

Yeah that’s really good. Only 3 over the weekend too. Definitely not exploding like everyone thought it would.

At this rate I might even sell some of my loo roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

3 new cases, seems to be fairly well contained here, nowhere near the number of most EU countries and the UK. Crises averted I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fics wrote: »
    My partner is working in a Dublin Hospital, hand sanitizer is being robbed daily so they've resorted to keeping it hidden from public.

Why would you;

1. Rob from a hospital
    2. Rob something that could limit the spread to the sick and frontline workers...

Beggars belief.

So that you can sell them 2 for a fiver! #winning

https://twitter.com/pmpoc/status/1237034318742065152?s=20

• Advertisement

Speak Now wrote: »
    Erm except they explained them all!
    Im a not misquoting the CMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

If the numbers are high, get hysterical. When the numbers are low, claim they’re not right anyways and get hysterical. That’s these 5 threads summed up really.

Italy 463 dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sadly I think Vlad checked out weeks ago. He can only think what socks he will wear to the White House, and then what life together with Matt might be in another country. Sorry if that sounds offensive, but that's what I am getting.

So the new TS is Harris. I know he is MFH but haven't heard a word from Coveney, has anyone else?

The tragedy of all this is, there is no elected Government, only those carrying on in the interregnum. Can't blame them for not having full on control either. Although they are trying.

SF have been kind of silent too as have FF in all this. Running for cover I suspect and delighted they don't have to deal with it. I am noting this attitude for the future.

Have you entirely missed the bit where they announced a €3bn package to help the self employed and those not entitled to sick pay?

Chong wrote: »
    Is there any possibility that we might not actually reach the craziness of Italy etc? And Dr. Holohan maybe right in saying we maybe able to contain it.

As Richard Hatchette said on Ch 4 news last friday, only the entire population being on a ‘war footing’ can mitigate this, ie behaviour modification. Studies have shown that proper handwashing can cut virus transmission rates by up to 54%. That would cut exponential growth rates by a fair margin.

Cw85 wrote: »
    3 new cases, seems to be fairly well contained here, nowhere near the number of most EU countries and the UK. Crises averted I think.
    For today!;) Let's not get carried away.

• Advertisement

Speak Now wrote: »
    Erm except they explained them all!
    3 out of the entire 24 cases they can't explain how they got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

Let's stick to the facts at hand shall we? Three further people have been confirmed as having contracted Covid-19 today. That is a lot less than some have been predicting on here anyway.

And thankfully, still no deaths.

Yeah, and it will take some extrapolation to get to 1.9 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Time will be unkind to this evaluation of the situation. We're at the start of the same curve that Italy started into 2-3 weeks ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

No. The crisis is not averted. We still very early in a cycle of case presentation. The numbers revealed tonight are fantastic but to say crisis AVERTED?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Italy 463 dead

Is that a normal enough figure considering the population and it is flu season

In my office if you so much as have a runny nose you wfh for 14 days

Any possible contact or even being on a flight same rule.

Stheno wrote: »
    All apparently contact with confirmed cases earlier in this thread from Virgin media
    3 out of the entire 24 cases they can't explain how they got it.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    This reminds me of The Simpsons: "Old people don't need companionship - they need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use." Not having a go - I agree with you, it's just every time I see something like that said, I lol.

Humour is important right now imo.

Yeh but ****e or inappropriate humour is not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

So quadruple the figures based on how many were tested. I’m expecting a few hundred by the weekend

Hmm 7 posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

205 more cases in France
    Over 4000 cases today worldwide so far outside China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

banie01 wrote: »

The Glasnevin school, the band, the 177 medical staff already exposed and the contact tracing of other known cases has to account for a large of the 1000 tests that were spoken about last Friday.

I posted earlier that I was expecting @35 to tally with numbers I had been privy to.

The number in isolation, doesn't tally with the number of diagnosis and be it due to a clogged system or misreporting?

Just want to be clear on something, these kind of statements are lethal. Socially and professionally. I'd recommend treading carefully with them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

is_that_so wrote: »
    There was a meeting of all party leaders today and they will be briefed twice a week from now on. There's not really any room on the stage for anyone except Holohan & team with Harris periodically briefing.

Fair enough. But it took a while to cancel the Dublin Parade, that was decided by Central Control. Other cities and towns decided themselves.

There are other big International gatherings (indoor) upcoming in the Capital and will wait and see what happens there. Reckon they will go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

3 new cases, that's good. Earlier I thought to myself the range will probably be 3 - 10, best / worst case. So I'm glad it was more the best case.

I think we're doing well here - we're all aware of it. Every shop, from Centra to Supervalu, has alcohol gel available as well as disinfectant cloths to wipe down trolleys etc. And people are using them.

What we need to do now is vacate the pubs and clubs and minimize travel on public transport. We may just contain this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Maximum is 625.

It was 2013 and my memory for the excat details is faulty. Having checked, she got 600 out of a possible 625 and had to settle for nursing thanks to the hpat exclusion mechanism.

As Richard Hatchette said on Ch 4 news last friday, only the entire population being on a ‘war footing’ can mitigate this, ie behaviour modification. Studies have shown that proper handwashing can cut virus transmission rates by up to 54%. That would cut exponential growth rates by a fair margin.
    Thankfully, this seems to have become an obsession for many! About time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

thebaz wrote: »
    Watchiing the Italian figures will really give us an indication of peak , and hopefully recovery , similar to China and South Korea -
    Obviously the Italian figures today were horriic, but I believe ther was less deaths than yesterday, hopefuly soon we will see similar drops as in China.

Italy are no where even slightly close to any concept of a 'peak', they are still at phase 1, maybe early phase 2 of a 12wk seasonal pandemic, that won't suddenly stop even at peak of late May, early June.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So quadruple the figures based on how many were tested. I’m expecting a few hundred by the weekend

I’ll take that bet :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

This is in addition to normal deaths from other illnesses and flus.
    It's not instead of or a total over all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

banie01 wrote: »

that you are privy to? you must be a very important person indeed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement