Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Only three new cases!

So that makes 24.

Was expecting many more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you for this post.We did right by slowly and gradually getting extra stocks in. Thankfully folk around me wholeheartedly supported this. Long term isolation because of being immunocompromised makes us careful where supplies are concerned. And inconsiderate to ask folk later to shop because we did not make provision and are too unwell or with symptoms and need to self isolate.

I may be wrong but I think that those who have been prepping well ahead of time have done so much more rationally than those that will descend upon their local Tesco the moment we hit a big increase in infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Ipso wrote: »
    It's a lot of resources that are required.
    Yes
    Wish everyone starts realising that "Intensive Care" is not just a bed in a unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So quadruple the figures based on how many were tested. I’m expecting a few hundred by the weekend
    Tests or cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Stheno wrote: »
    In my office if you so much as have a runny nose you wfh for 14 days

Any possible contact or even being on a flight same rule.

Ott no. People with runny noses is everywhere what abt people that don't have a job and are carrying on.
    Pure panic weak governments click bate news from media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Mr.S wrote: »
    What are the health conditions of the confirmed cases in ROI?

Specific clinical presentations are not discussed publicly due to the current small number of cases in Ireland at this very moment. It presents a serious confidentiality concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

banie01 wrote: »
    The number presented by the HSE is far better than many of us expected.

It really does mean the throughput of the testing service needs to be shared.

There are significant numbers of people known to be exposed up to last Friday.
    The Glasnevin school, the band, the 177 medical staff already exposed and the contact tracing of other known cases has to account for a large of the 1000 tests that were spoken about last Friday.

How many have made it through the NVLS process since?
    I posted earlier that I was expecting @35 to tally with numbers I had been privy to.

The small rise, albeit welcome doesn't tally with information to hand.

The number of differential versus confirmed diagnosis is still not disclosed.

The number in isolation, doesn't tally with the number of diagnosis and be it due to a clogged system or misreporting?

Something is amiss somewhere.

How soon are individuals being tested after contact with infected persons? If these tests are done too soon the results are probably meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

3 extra cases is great news. Not for those people but overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

3 is positive for now.

Though we don't really know where we are yet.

I wouldn't trust that Holohan as far as I'd throw him. Shifty looking..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Miike wrote: »
    Just want to be clear on something, these kind of statements are lethal. Socially and professionally. I'd recommend treading carefully with them :)

Appreciated, but no point in my back pedalling on it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

If you have the flu randomly right now, is there a chance you’ve got it? Got knocked back for six at Christmas and now sick again. Usually, never get sick but seem to be getting knocked back regularly enough, I was in a few different countries at different points before January so might explain why I caught it at different stages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Have you entirely missed the bit where they announced a €3bn package to help the self employed and those not entitled to sick pay?

No. And I agree fully with it. Money well spent IMO.

But what does containment mean really?

That might save a few of those billions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Loughc wrote: »
    I’ll take that bet :)

People are afraid to visit the hospital and quacks. This is going to get really serious and soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Naggdefy wrote: »
    3 is positive for now.

We have the same information about the 3 new cases as we've had about all other cases in the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Naggdefy wrote: »
    3 is positive for now.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

slightly worrying that the global death rate of closed cases has actually risen for the first time. hopefully just an anomaly.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

In my office if you so much as have a runny nose you wfh for 14 days

Any possible contact or even being on a flight same rule.

This should be the case for everyone. Can't understand for the life of me why every company isn't saying this. We need to make it basically socially unacceptable to be out in public with obvious cold/flu symptoms - there is NO way of knowing whether it's just a cold or coronavirus.

Lad in my office sitting there coughing and sneezing all day - why the fck can't these people just stay at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Any one know the condition of the people infected in Ireland? Can’t afford to stockpile food so trying to add a few extra bits to weekly shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I think that those who have been prepping well ahead of time have done so much more rationally than those that will descend upon their local Tesco the moment we hit a big increase in infected.

When the folks in Wuhan started welding people into buildings, beating stray dogs to death in the streets and a full-scale city-wide curfew in December the time for the 'big shop' was approriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Bound to have been asked but these threads are monsters: any idea why so high specifically in Northern Italy? Is it a trade relationship with Wuhan or something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

The reason why it's only 3 cases is probably down to the HSE's strict testing criteria

If you ring them because you have all the symptoms, they won't test you unless you've been to one of the following areas recently:

China
    Hong Kong
    Iran
    the following regions in Italy - Lombardy, Veneto, Emilia-Romagna and Piedmont
    Japan
    Singapore
    Republic of Korea (South Korea)

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/affectedareas/

That list is hopelessly out of date. We're in big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

French minister has caught COVID-19

https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1237090636760854528

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

whats the current total for whole island of ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

any numbers for the north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Italy are no where even slightly close to any concept of a 'peak', they are still at phase 1, maybe early phase 2 of a 12wk seasonal pandemic, that won't suddenly stop even at peak of late May, early June.

South Korea figures did not take that long to drop , you dont know , I dont know - I just hope that peak for Italy comes soon , I believed the death rate actually dropped, when I would have expected it to increase by a lot for today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

The number presented by the HSE is far better than many of us expected.

It really does mean the throughput of the testing service needs to be shared.

There are significant numbers of people known to be exposed up to last Friday.
    The Glasnevin school, the band, the 177 medical staff already exposed and the contact tracing of other known cases has to account for a large of the 1000 tests that were spoken about last Friday.

How many have made it through the NVLS process since?
    I posted earlier that I was expecting @35 to tally with numbers I had been privy to.

The small rise, albeit welcome doesn't tally with information to hand.

The number of differential versus confirmed diagnosis is still not disclosed.

The number in isolation, doesn't tally with the number of diagnosis and be it due to a clogged system or misreporting?

Something is amiss somewhere.
    The number in isolation isn't an accurate reflection of confirmed cases. Flu-like illness is very common and in the vast majority of cases doesn't represent COVID. However, anyone presenting with such an illness to hospital is being admitted for investigation to an isolation unit. The majority of those in our isolation units do not have the disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

that you are privy to? you must be a very important person indeed

Far from important, would you rather I'd used a different word than "privy" maybe?

It fits how I came by the info, what would you rather I'd said?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

froog wrote: »
    slightly worrying that the global death rate of closed cases has actually risen for the first time. hopefully just an anomaly.

...or, you might be really positive and acknowledge that we've only had an extra three cases in the ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

:rolleyes:
    It's like: "he's an Irish public servant, therefore dodgy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

a couple of them atleast in serious condition as per radio this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lad in my office sitting there coughing and sneezing all day - why the fck can't these people just stay at home?

Probably one of the "sure the virus is just the flu anyway" wastes of skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

This should be the case for everyone. Can't understand for the life of me why every company isn't saying this. We need to make it basically socially unacceptable to be out in public with obvious cold/flu symptoms - there is NO way of knowing whether it's just a cold or coronavirus.

People with colds won't get paid to stay in isolation for two weeks.

Have you read the guidelines at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Three weeks of intensive care though?

I think the average is 31 days for recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When all the panic is over and we look back on this in say a years time, will be interesting to see how the no of deaths compares to the season flu, cancer, car crashes, diabetes etc.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Bound to have been asked but these threads are monsters: any idea why so high specifically in Northern Italy? Is it a trade relationship with Wuhan or something like that?
    Partialy pot-luck one single super-carrier (shows the ease of transmission).

It's also a very dense populated area, 11m circa. Perhaps 2nd in the Europe after the blue bannana area in the NW, then Ldn, then N.Eng.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

dougm1970 wrote: »
    whats the current total for whole island of ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Been reported that a new case from the weekend - a woman from the East has an underlying condition and is very ill :(- it is on the RTE website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Spain, France and Germany are rising at the same rate as Italy 10 days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

The RTE article from yesterday mentioned somebody seriously ill
    The new cases in the Republic involve a male in a hospital in the south of the country and a female in the east of the country, who has an underlying illness and is seriously ill.

Far from important, would you rather I'd used a different word than "privy" maybe?

It fits how I came by the info, what would you rather I'd said?

tell us how you "came by it" or let me guess

"you can't say"

jog on walter

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »

this implies no more cases in the north

is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

froog wrote: »

That is down to the numbers in Italy.
    Sadly they will end up with a high tally do to the age of the population in the affected region.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I find it virtually impossible to believe the same virus that has infected thousands in the space of a couple of days in Italy and Spain has racked up less than ten here. Impossible.

...perhaps the archives are incomplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

That’s where the fashion industry is?
    A lot of Chinese working there in factories and such.

a couple of them at least in serious condition as per radio this morning.
    Yeah the man from Cork and the lady in the east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

From what they are saying in the press briefing there could be something of an issue with an African country?

ZX7R wrote: »
    That is down to the numbers in Italy.
    Sadly they will end up with a high tally do to the age of the population in the affected region.
    23% over 65 in Lombardy.

NIMAN wrote: »
    When all the panic is over and we look back on this in say a years time, will be interesting to see how the no of deaths compares to the season flu, cancer, car crashes, diabetes etc.
    There will be a 'recovery' period during July/August allowing some widespread re-normalisation.

Winter in Nov+ may hold some risks, until vax early Spring 21.
    Would not take v1 of a rushed vax, won't need it anyway (personally).
    If you're over 60, take the vax as soon as it's out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Cw85 wrote: »
    3 new cases, seems to be fairly well contained here, nowhere near the number of most EU countries and the UK. Crises averted I think.
    UK is at 4.7 per million people
    Ireland is at 4.3 per million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I read somewhere so take it with caution that Milan is the so called "centre of fashion". It appears to be run by Chinese, who import a lot of workers to work in the industry on low wages and conditions.

They are sent back and forth for visa reasons or something.

But no proof, and nothing in MSM but sounds like there could be something behind it too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement