Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

wakka12 wrote: »
    Seems like Ireland may have escaped the growth most other European countries are experiencing, at least a 25-50% increase in daily cases

Also, no sign of 'casual' community transmission (the very thing that people fear).....each new case was associated with very close contact with a virus carrier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

It is very funny but people are so mean to the people they are with. The whole filming them and putting it up for everyone to gawp at. Mind you the guy would do great in comedy or acting, he has fluency and timing. Still, fecking cameras!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So panic over in Ireland now. Great.

No need to have cancelled the Parade either I suppose. Great.

We are a nation of gullible fools who believe we are invincible and will not follow the trajectory of other countries in Europe.

Well maybe we are blessed and fortunate, hope so!

- Dis gubberment are a joke, they won't even cancel the parades.

All parades cancelled.

- Dis gubberment are a joke, they cancelled the parades. We are all doooooommmmmmeeeeddd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Level 42 wrote: »
    Good man

There's a forum for conspiracy theories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I read somewhere so take it with caution that Milan is the so called "centre of fashion". It appears to be run by Chinese, who import a lot of workers to work in the industry on low wages and conditions.

They are sent back and forth for visa reasons or something.

But no proof, and nothing in MSM but sounds like there could be something behind it too.

Good piece in New YorKer couple of years ago,

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/16/the-chinese-workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Akrasia wrote: »
    If you have been told to self isolate by a GP you will get the sick pay

No doctor worth his or her salt will tell anyone to self isolate because of a cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Did Northern Ireland release their numbers yet? Then we get see how many we ACTUALLY have.

Also 3 cases is a good sign! Actually kinda surprised considering I thought we would be starting to climb like literally every country around us.

However, maybe this is liulling us into a false sense of security that we only get 2-3 cases a day? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

3 new cases is great.

Our real worry however is the UK. What happens there i suspect will dictate our outbreak.
    When they move to phase two thats a bad sign for us.

Also Trump has ****ed the US, virtually ensuring that this now becomes a pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Holy God will look after catholic Ireland...
    St Patrick has it in hand even though we are snubbing him next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Strazdas wrote: »
    Also, no sign of 'casual' community transmission (the very thing that people fear).....each new case was associated with very close contact with a virus carrier

Two of the cases yesterday were community transmission with no known vector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.rts.ch/play/tv/19h30/video/19h30?id=11153117
    Switzerland will only test serious cases from now on

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-09/ultimas-noticias-del-coronavirus-en-directo.html
    All schools, kindergartens and universities in Madrid have been closed for at least two weeks

https://www.romania-insider.com/romania-closes-schools-coronavirus-march-2020
    Romania has closed all schools in the country to stop the spread of the virus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Someone I know in the US on the West Coast has been diagnosed with the virus. Picked it up from travelling. Age profile is less than 40 and she’s the type of person who picks up ever bug that goes around.

She is doing well though. No hospitalisation required at present. Was told to isolate at home etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some real scummy price gouging going on. Hickeys Pharmacy are charging €150 for a small pack of face masks that would usually cost less than a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No doctor worth his or her salt will tell anyone to self isolate because of a cold!

The UK will soon make this very move!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/09/matt-hancock-under-fire-from-mps-over-uk-coronavirus-response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I think those figures are bull****. By Friday we will get to see how really serious it is.

Are they due to report real numbers on Fridays?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Mr.S wrote: »
    If the figures are bull**** wouldn't they still be bull**** on Friday?

I don't understand the logic - some people seem genuinely disappointed by the low figure of new cases tonight.

Yeah it’s strange to say the least, only new 3 cases confirmed today, that’s a fact, any other predictions are hearsay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

flynnlives wrote: »
    3 new cases is great.

Our real worry however is the UK. What happens there i suspect will dictate our outbreak.
    When they move to phase two thats a bad sign for us.

Also Trump has ****ed the US, virtually ensuring that this now becomes a pandemic.

UK growth was actually very modest today. If it could stay at this rate for another week or two, the powers that be would be very relieved (for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

gabeeg wrote: »
    The reason why it's only 3 cases is probably down to the HSE's strict testing criteria

If you ring them because you have all the symptoms, they won't test you unless you've been to one of the following areas recently:

China
    Hong Kong
    Iran
    the following regions in Italy - Lombardy, Veneto, Emilia-Romagna and Piedmont
    Japan
    Singapore
    Republic of Korea (South Korea)

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/affectedareas/

That list is hopelessly out of date. We're in big trouble.

It was always ridiculous. It's a virus that can spread from person to person. Someone could get off a flight from Milan and be sitting next to any of us on the DART an hour later.
    People with colds won't get paid to stay in isolation for two weeks.

Have you read the guidelines at all?

Have you ever used your brain at all?

There are plenty of people who can work from home. We're software engineers. Most people already work from home at least one day a week for no reason other than they feel like it. Everyone has everything they need on the laptop they take home with them every day, and their work phone. Absolutely no need for people to be coming in sick when working from home is totally possible, and employers need to get their heads around that instead of sticking doggedly to the idea that people have to be in the office to be productive.
    I read somewhere so take it with caution that Milan is the so called "centre of fashion". It appears to be run by Chinese, who import a lot of workers to work in the industry on low wages and conditions.

They are sent back and forth for visa reasons or something.

But no proof, and nothing in MSM but sounds like there could be something behind it too.

Wasn't the outbreak traced back to an individual from Germany?
    edit_me wrote: »
    Tell this to landlord or a bank......

See above. It's 2020. Plenty of people in office jobs can do their jobs perfectly from home. There is NO benefit to forcing people into work if they don't have to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Should the government be advising people not to travel to parts of Spain as they are telling people not to travel to northern Italy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Level 42 wrote: »
    Enjoy all your thumbs up hope you get loads for it

Want to share the tin foil narrative? Hope it’s a new one where the jooz aren’t to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Ipso wrote: »
    Are they over wide areas or clusters?
    France and Germany have clusters.
    Spain is spread over 17 regions; most cases in Madrid, Basque Country (schools closed in Vitoria starting from now), La Rioja and Cataluña.
    https://www.rtve.es/noticias/20200309/mapa-del-coronavirus-espana/2004681.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Hi, guys, . Hopefully I won’t need to make new thread for this question, but maybe moderator will advise otherwise. I was wondering if community will compare my stack , as advice was given to stock on beans, canned goods, reason being: the coronvirus. So far I have five of kidneys, five of black eyed, five of cannellinis, five of favas. Brand of black eye beans is Batchelor's, brand of Kidneys is Bunalun (organis) , brand of cannelini is Bunalun (organis), brand of Fava is Sofra (I think Turkish)
    Obviously this is tip of the iceberg, I’m yet to do my major shopping, but rationale is that black eyed beans, fava beans, butter beans, kidney beans, these items, and more, will provide folata, antioxidants, protein, and alsofibres, also long shelf life, filling for stomach, and will not interfere with testosterone. I’m eating 30 raw egg yolks a week, with coconut oil ( currently on the hunt for unpasteurised milk, unpasteurised cheese , unpasteurised butter, please inform) so you can see I am somewhat of a health freak, but providing for the apocalypse is not something I thought of before lol! One funny thing today I went to Garda station to inquire about best procedures , and noticed overwhelming quantity of babes waiting in the lobby, for passports, for food stamps, who knows, but these women are very attractive, plenty brown, plenty black, some japs, honestly I stayed a while outside to see these beauties, and more, exit the building, a little cheeky maybe, actually I realised that I always see these babes wandering in and out from morning to mid day from thepolice station and to be honest, yes I

plan on tinned mackerel, tinned salmon, grass fed butter, , brown rice, basmati rice, pudding rice, Rye bread, confitures coffee beans wet wipes, toilet rolls, kitchen paper, detergent, some magazines, paper,postage stamps, nutritional yeast,

With a diet like that I'd definitely be stocking up on the Jack's roll...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Some real scummy price gouging going on. Hickeys Pharmacy are charging €150 for a small pack of face masks that would usually cost less than a tenner.

I'd imagine that Global stocks of facemasks are extremely low or non-existent, so the price of them is through the roof.. I don't imagine that any retailers are dipping into a warehouse full of stock...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Hi, guys, . Hopefully I won’t need to make new thread for this question, but maybe moderator will advise otherwise. I was wondering if community will compare my stack , as advice was given to stock on beans, canned goods, reason being: the coronvirus. So far I have five of kidneys, five of black eyed, five of cannellinis, five of favas. Brand of black eye beans is Batchelor's, brand of Kidneys is Bunalun (organis) , brand of cannelini is Bunalun (organis), brand of Fava is Sofra (I think Turkish)
    Obviously this is tip of the iceberg, I’m yet to do my major shopping, but rationale is that black eyed beans, fava beans, butter beans, kidney beans, these items, and more, will provide folata, antioxidants, protein, and alsofibres, also long shelf life, filling for stomach, and will not interfere with testosterone. I’m eating 30 raw egg yolks a week, with coconut oil ( currently on the hunt for unpasteurised milk, unpasteurised cheese , unpasteurised butter, please inform) so you can see I am somewhat of a health freak, but providing for the apocalypse is not something I thought of before lol! One funny thing today I went to Garda station to inquire about best procedures , and noticed overwhelming quantity of babes waiting in the lobby, for passports, for food stamps, who knows, but these women are very attractive, plenty brown, plenty black, some japs, honestly I stayed a while outside to see these beauties, and more, exit the building, a little cheeky maybe, actually I realised that I always see these babes wandering in and out from morning to mid day from thepolice station and to be honest, yes I

plan on tinned mackerel, tinned salmon, grass fed butter, , brown rice, basmati rice, pudding rice, Rye bread, confitures coffee beans wet wipes, toilet rolls, kitchen paper, detergent, some magazines, paper,postage stamps, nutritional yeast,

Does your mammy know what you are doing on the internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hurrache wrote: »
    - Dis gubberment are a joke, they won't even cancel the parades.

All parades cancelled.

- Dis gubberment are a joke, they cancelled the parades. We are all doooooommmmmmeeeeddd!

I hope you have realised that my post was tongue in cheek.

Look, I hope as much as anyone else that lil ole Ireland will buck the trend and hopefully we will.

Not time to become complacent either though. That could be quite dangerous really in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

'every time is Chico time'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

575400 people died of Swine flu!
    I really hope i'm wrong, I'm no expert and most of the people in this thread aren't either.

There is no point bringing up pandemic figures that have ceased, when this one is barely getting started. In other words, it's not nearly over yet, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The French culture minister has been tested positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Pics of the women or it didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

https://www.rts.ch/play/tv/19h30/video/19h30?id=11153117
    Switzerland will only test serious cases from now on

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-09/ultimas-noticias-del-coronavirus-en-directo.html
    All schools, kindergartens and universities in Madrid have been closed for at least two weeks

https://www.romania-insider.com/romania-closes-schools-coronavirus-march-2020
    Romania has closed all schools in the country to stop the spread of the virus

I think you meant to boards on Boards.fr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Contacted the HSE, Ryanair, my companies HR dept, see if my mother-in-law will come Wednesday or not.

HSE - no action if no symptoms. Not stopping anyone coming into the country etc etc, already knew this.
    Ryanair not cancelling her flight
    HR tells me to contact them again on Weds, notify manager, self-isolate for 2 weeks....

So she arrives, has the time of her life with my high-risk wife and my daughter, while I'm supposed to self-isolate for 2 weeks.

Tell her not to come, I would if I was in this situation. You do have some control over this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Ipso wrote: »
    Want to share the tin foil narrative? Hope it’s a new one where the jooz aren’t to blame.

Make a point not a character assasination so go on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

GLOR ENNIS

There's a letter from the HSE doing the rounds about whomever was at a concert there on a certain evening needs to self isolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I don't understand the logic - some people seem genuinely disappointed by the low figure of new cases tonight.

Well By Friday they will have increased by a greater number and may still be bull****e because we don't know how many people are being tested and because we don't know how many people are in self-isolation. I am not genuinely disappointed by the low figures, I am shocked that we are believing the HSE controlled narrative. One of the cases flew from Africa into Europe and then on to here and they won't say which countries in Africa and Europe are involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I do think - at least in my case - that it's more surprise than anything else. Everything I've read suggests that the virus increases rapidly at some particular point, but that doesn't seem to have happened yet. The rate of increase - while obviously horrific for those infected - is great news for everyone else, but it seems to be that we're bucking the trend, but little explanation as to why this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Tell her not to come, I would if I was in this situation. You do have some control over this situation.

He sounds like he is totally whipped.

Pretty clear who wears the pants in that house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Anything less than buying a whole cow and a chainsaw is just amateur hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

nthclare wrote: »
    ENNIS

There's a letter from the HSE doing the rounds about whomever was at a concert there on a certain evening needs to self isolate.

Ffs ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

1. Wait about 4 weeks til full panic has set in.
    2. Invite 'babes' over to yours for a nice heathly homecooked meal from your well stocked kitchen.
    3. Profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Should the government be advising people not to travel to parts of Spain as they are telling people not to travel to northern Italy?
    I doubt that the EU governments will do it now.
    It seems that for France and Germany keeping the economy going is the priority.
    There is reluctance in testing and in introducing social distancing measures such as cancelling events.

FYI map of cases in Spain: https://www.rtve.es/noticias/20200309/mapa-del-coronavirus-espana/2004681.shtml

• Advertisement

You must have a yuuuge pantry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Cold symptoms and this virus' symptoms are similar/overlap so if they won't test more people why wouldn't a doctor tell someone to self isolate?

Someone yesterday here did not meet the criteria for testing but was told by his doctor to self isolate.

Seems like Ireland may have escaped the growth most other European countries are experiencing, at least a 25-50% increase in daily cases

At this point in the curve maybe. Like so many other places that had the same numbers early on like us, but are now dealing with hundreds of cases.

But this is Ireland. We don't do pandemics, we are blessed. Hopefully. And I mean that, it will be fantastic for our tourism, trade, economy, ordinary life if we buck the trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Seriously? There's one in my town, I'll be giving that place a miss from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

"Taoiseach Leo Varadkar says even if our health service was twice the size it is, "we would struggle". He said the Government is identifying ways to increase capacity in the health service"

I get the impression Leo is trying to downplay what is coming, corona virus will really expose our health system for what's it become under his government

If the coronavirus develops in any way like predicted any health system will struggle severely. If you watch the UK press conference you will will find the same. The NHS will struggle.
    The Scottish Chief Medical Officer has appparently calculated that up to 4% of the population may require hospital treatment (more severe cases). Extrapolating that to Ireland would mean about 200,000 people (maths?). That is addition to those more mildly affected in the community. Of course the system will really struggle if that comes to pass. And so will other European countries.

If the broader point is that the current health care system needs major reform, then I agree. But it is a differnt point.

nthclare wrote: »
    GLOR ENNIS

An actual hard copy or a picture? Who all did they send it to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Plenty of lube to amuse yourself.

Bob24 wrote: »
    The French culture minister has been tested positive.

Any word on Trump yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The gloom merchants who suggested we'd be in the "hundreds of cases by Monday" seem to be very quiet.

Seems the HSE are doing a hell of a lot better than the doom merchants hoped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Pistachio19

Contacted the HSE, Ryanair, my companies HR dept, see if my mother-in-law will come Wednesday or not.

HSE - no action if no symptoms. Not stopping anyone coming into the country etc etc, already knew this.
    Ryanair not cancelling her flight
    HR tells me to contact them again on Weds, notify manager, self-isolate for 2 weeks....

So she arrives, has the time of her life with my high-risk wife and my daughter, while I'm supposed to self-isolate for 2 weeks.

Will you just tell her she cannot come - it's that simple. She has no regard for your family's health, so don't worry about offending her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement