Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

is_that_so wrote: »
    Holiday to Israel is off!

Shut it’s the holy land. Nothing bad could happen there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

TTLF wrote: »
    Something I didn’t understand from that press conference was, if testing so strict as we’ve seen, and we get low daily figures, wouldn’t their “phase 2” plan take a longer time to initiate if we only have maybe 50 ish people (Hypothetically) by Saturday since the numbers are still low? -Thus letting the virus potentially spread for longer

I would like to know also, when they go into the next phase, does that mean testing criteria will be more fluid/less strict. (e.g. anyone with symptoms)

Shut up.:mad:

G62JOVTUT5EB3DKT47AUFDPONM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

wadacrack wrote: »
    Mainland Europe likely to worse than UK/Ireland
    UK/Ireland can get it from two sources: Mainland Europe and US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

spookwoman wrote: »
    Uk but shows you that you need to be careful when purchasing online
    https://twitter.com/MPSHackney/status/1237030731232272384?s=20

15K lol.

3 is good news. Even if we get to the suspected worse case numbers, the longer it takes to get there the better. Right?

it’s better if small numbers keep getting it than everyone at once. That way, those cases can conclude before the next round starts. Less pressure on HSE. Probably won’t plan out that way in reality though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Any word on Trump yet?

The world waits expectantly in hope of some Positive news on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Yeah. He signed off an 8 billion dollar funding bill to fight the virus and find a cure.

Feár Oráiste olc
    are pointing out that money might not be necessary if the administration hadn’t spent the past two years largely dismantling government units that were designed to protect against pandemics.

The cuts started in 2018, as the White House focused on eliminating funding to Obama-era disease security programs. In March of that year, Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer, whose job it was to lead the U.S. response in the event of a pandemic, abruptly left the administration and his global health security team was disbanded.

That same year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was forced to slash its efforts to prevent global disease outbreak by 80% as its funding for the program began to run out. The agency, at the time, opted to focus on 10 priority countries and scale back in others, including China.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hi, guys, . Hopefully I won’t need to make new thread for this question, but maybe moderator will advise otherwise. I was wondering if community will compare my stack , as advice was given to stock on beans, canned goods, reason being: the coronvirus. So far I have five of kidneys, five of black eyed, five of cannellinis, five of favas. Brand of black eye beans is Batchelor's, brand of Kidneys is Bunalun (organis) , brand of cannelini is Bunalun (organis), brand of Fava is Sofra (I think Turkish)
    Obviously this is tip of the iceberg, I’m yet to do my major shopping, but rationale is that black eyed beans, fava beans, butter beans, kidney beans, these items, and more, will provide folata, antioxidants, protein, and alsofibres, also long shelf life, filling for stomach, and will not interfere with testosterone. I’m eating 30 raw egg yolks a week, with coconut oil ( currently on the hunt for unpasteurised milk, unpasteurised cheese , unpasteurised butter, please inform) so you can see I am somewhat of a health freak, but providing for the apocalypse is not something I thought of before lol! One funny thing today I went to Garda station to inquire about best procedures , and noticed overwhelming quantity of babes waiting in the lobby, for passports, for food stamps, who knows, but these women are very attractive, plenty brown, plenty black, some japs, honestly I stayed a while outside to see these beauties, and more, exit the building, a little cheeky maybe, actually I realised that I always see these babes wandering in and out from morning to mid day from thepolice station and to be honest, yes I

plan on tinned mackerel, tinned salmon, grass fed butter, , brown rice, basmati rice, pudding rice, Rye bread, confitures coffee beans wet wipes, toilet rolls, kitchen paper, detergent, some magazines, paper,postage stamps, nutritional yeast,

Whatever you do don’t forget the postage stamps. It will be the difference between living and dying.

Also, you eat 30 raw eggs a week and you’re seeking out and unpasteurised diary? It’s not Coronavirus I’d be worried about.

Is this really the level the thread is at now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

The UK has their first confirmed cases on the 31st of January. It was the 28th of February by the time they had 21 cases. Within 10 days , 21 cases has gone to over 200 with 5 deaths.
    We had our first confirmed case on the 1st of March I think. We have 21 cases a week later. I don’t think we have any cause to think we may get off lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

1641 wrote: »
    And then we get the virus. Just shows ya.

Divine intervention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Tomorrow and Wednesday I will be publishing 2 Irish Tech News podcasts about remote working, what you need to do it and how it can be implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    No need to stockpile on food, there is enough evidence that food supply chain keeps functioning. Cleaning products on the other hand...

Says who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jez, this is one fast moving thread.

Leave it for an hour and you're 15 pages back.

Murple wrote: »
    The UK has their first confirmed cases on the 31st of January. It was the 28th of February by the time they had 21 cases. Within 10 days , 21 cases has gone to over 200 with 5 deaths.
    We had our first confirmed case on the 1st of March I think. We have 21 cases a week later. I don’t think we have any cause to think we may get off lightly.

New user first post and it's a sensible post.

Can we make a note of the date and time.:D

Welcome to boards and great first post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Miike wrote: »
    I discussed this in detail with that poster last night. I thought they understood the testing process and where to get up-to-date high risk areas but alas, here we are again :rolleyes:

Look, if I've misunderstood something I apologise.
    The links you posted from the hse's website shows that the list of problem countries the HSE use is completely inadequate.

If you're saying the info the HSE has published is rubbish and that they're actually using much better criteria then tell me what it is and how you know it. Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Out of interest at what point do the who declare a pandemic

I know today they said it’s a real possibility today

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Level 42 wrote: »
    Enjoy all your thumbs up hope you get loads for it
    Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well per capita 21 in a week is a lot more in that timeframe for Ireland than the UK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Whatever about containing, isolating and tracing the cases we have and know about, there's still flights landing that could have someone with the virus unbeknownst to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

NIMAN wrote: »

Not you but I sense quite a few people on this thread are use to falling behind.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

is_that_so wrote: »
    Holiday to Israel is off!

Glad I went there back in the day, it was something else, but I was younger then and took it all in my stride.

I think I'd be a bit more questioning of the place right now though. Still, no reason to visit a place twice unless you have family or a house there is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.ilmessaggero.it/televisione/coronavirus_nicola_porro_positivo_quarta_repubblica_ultime_notizie-5100680.html
    Italian journalist who criticised the global hysteria over the virus has now tested positive and talks about how much more serious it is than he first thought

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

NIMAN wrote: »

You can never leave. Begin isolation now just to keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

I just had a check through the Boards threads on the Swine Flu pandemic back in 2009. The thread was discussing that 25% of the population could get the illness. in the end 1000 people in Ireland caught it. So i'm thinking this is more panic than what the reality actually will be.

Good man. Someone's awake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

That will force Ryanair to cancel the remaining flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sounds of door slamming and tyres screeching echo around Italy as we speak as hordes head for the borders on the basis of such rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Is it just my perception being off or are some people on here really giving the impression they are actually willing the number of new cases to keep increasing to try and prove a point? It certainly seems that way.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.ilmessaggero.it/televisione/coronavirus_nicola_porro_positivo_quarta_repubblica_ultime_notizie-5100680.html
    Italian journalist who criticised the global hysteria over the virus has now tested positive and talks about how much more serious it is than he first thought

I find the talk from people wanting others to get it vile Trump and so on.

However in this case 8b24be0b449268501795b2116256a3e4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

gabeeg wrote: »
    Look, if I've misunderstood something I apologise.
    The links you posted from the hse's website shows that the list of problem countries the HSE use is completely inadequate.

If you're saying the info the HSE has published is rubbish and that they're actually using much better criteria then tell me what it is and how you know it. Please

As I mentioned last night for up-to-date areas considered high risk areas or areas with sustained community transmission can be found via the WHO SitReps.

The ECDC has deferred to the WHO on this topic also because they are better placed to track this information :)

As it currently stands the HSE's list of affected areas is woefully outdated but it's also not the list the health service is taking direction from.

Also, I want to apologise for being narky in my previous post. I'm sincerely sorry. It's been quite a long day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Hurrache wrote: »
    Sounds of door slamming and tyres screeching echo around Italy as we speak as hordes head for the borders on the basis of such rumours.

It’s ok.
    Fiats can only go short distances before breaking down.

Is it just my perception being off or are some people on here really giving the impression they are actually willing the number of new cases to keep increasing to try and prove a point? It certainly seems that way.

I have be willing myself to win the Lotto and Euro Millions for years now.

I will let you in on a little grownup secret willing something has zero effect in the real world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What point are they trying to prove? We're ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think sensible people see what is happening to the East of us who had zero, then one, then three, then hundreds.

I suppose we might think St Patrick will keep the virus away just like he did with the snakes. We are different and all that.

But hopefully we will buck the trend. Ever hopeful me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Not at all. He has a loyal fan base
    many of who will die from COVID19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Way way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

tillyfilly wrote: »
    many of who will die from COVID19

Did you type that with one hand under the desk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I think sensible people see what is happening to the East of us who had zero, then one, then three, then hundreds.

I suppose we might think St Patrick will keep the virus away just like he did with the snakes. We are different and all that.

I'm hoping a combination of bad weather, social distancing, spread out population, good hygiene and even the way Irish people greet each other with a hello instead of a kiss will keep the numbers low.

I can't believe how it's developed in Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I have be willing myself to win the Lotto and Euro Millions for years now.

I will let you in on a little grownup secret willing something has zero effect in the real world.

I am aware that your online pronunciations have zero effect in the real world, but thank you for the capitalisation and bold font. It left me in no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

Could this virus mutate into something even more dangerous, and if so would people who had the original virus be immune to the mutation?
    Sorry if this has been asked already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Does anyone know if any of the charities have organisedto drop off food supplies to elderly people who don't want to venture out, can't use online shopping or have no one to support them?

I'd happily do a number of drop offs at the weekend if it helped anyone elderly and living alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

The point of cancelling the parades is to slow it down. Containment is out the window at this point no matter how much the hse continue to say that we are in that phase. It's about slowing it down so the hospitals arnt over run with people who are critically ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

TTLF wrote: »
    Something I didn’t understand from that press conference was, if testing so strict as we’ve seen, and we get low daily figures, wouldn’t their “phase 2” plan take a longer time to initiate if we only have maybe 50 ish people (Hypothetically) by Saturday since the numbers are still low? -Thus letting the virus potentially spread for longer

I would like to know also, when they go into the next phase, does that mean testing criteria will be more fluid/less strict. (e.g. anyone with symptoms)

From the UK press conference I understood that at a later stage, as the number of confirmed cases really escalates, people reporting symptoms will be told to self isolate at home. The assumption will be then that they probably have the virus, without testing. I suppose this is to stop the test process being overwhelmed. Probably something similar will apply here. We are some time away from that yet but I imagine they will have to keep to fairly tight criteria in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I find the talk from people wanting others to get it vile Trump and so on.

Was Trump not downplaying the virus thing and saying that he'd rather that cruise ship didn't dock so it wouldn't upset the figures?

Is it not kind of the same type of situation as the guy in Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

gw80 wrote: »
    Could this virus mutate into something even more dangerous, and if so would people who had the original virus be immune to the mutation?

The virus could mutate into something more serious or it could go the other way. It's crystal ball material to make remarks on it though and there is no immunity (that we know of).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

3 is good news. Even if we get to the suspected worse case numbers, the longer it takes to get there the better. Right?

Completely and that is the goal. By the grace of god our initial cases in the country lagged behind the rest of Europe and it means we get longer time to prepare while the public are taking it seriously.

We know there is a lag in every single graph between first cases and the growth phase and our actions have been no different to places who have recently started ballooning.

Leo has already started priming people today. Every day with heightened seriousness and lower cases is worth its weight in gold though, but let's not be braindead.

Ipso wrote: »
    Did you type that with one hand under the desk?

People deny there is a problem and when the problem becomes very real they blame the people who warned about the problem.

The people saying it is going to get bad are the same people who wanted the flights from Italy stopped.

Where are most of the confirmed cases coming from again?

Post reported by the way calling another user a wa*ker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

gw80 wrote: »

Jesus some real dour people in here. Situation is bad enough as it is and you are fantasising about it being even worse.

There's allegedly already 2 strains of the virus out there. The original and a weaker strain and supposedly you can catch both. I have my doubts about the accuracy of this claim though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement