Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

BloodBath wrote: »
    Jesus some real dour people in here. Situation is bad enough as it is and you are fantasising about it being even worse.

There's allegedly already 2 strains of the virus out there. The original and a weaker strain and supposedly you can catch both. I have my doubts about the accuracy of this claim though.

https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance-article/doi/10.1093/nsr/nwaa036/5775463

There are 2 strains out there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Jesus some real dour people in here. Situation is bad enough as it is and you are fantasising about it being even worse.

There's allegedly already 2 strains of the virus out there. The original and a weaker strain and supposedly you can catch both. I have my doubts about the accuracy of this claim though.

The chap asked a question ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

So panic over in Ireland now. Great.

No need to have cancelled the Parade either I suppose. Great.

We are a nation of gullible fools who believe we are invincible and will not follow the trajectory of other countries in Europe.

Well maybe we are blessed and fortunate, hope so!
    Not sure anyone said the panic is over did they? The opposite actually!

And "we" are definitely not a nation of gullible fools who believe we are invincible (where did anyone say that?) given all the doom and gloom and suspicion towards any public official!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    The point of cancelling the parades is to slow it down. Containment is out the window at this point no matter how much the hse continue to say that we are in that phase. It's about slowing it down so the hospitals arnt over run with people who are critically ill.

Agree, but won't stop the pubs being full either, but maybe less than usual.

There are other big gatherings in the offing too. International spectators and participants in the Conference centre. Look it up, early April.

Anyway, Cheltenham visitors will return here in their droves. Better isolate them quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Russians and Saudis have no moral compass, using the virus to start an more impactful oil war, no shame !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

3 new cases is actually a relief, I really was getting worried with all the stuff going on earlier. In fairness it seems like our authority’s are not f**king around.

Cancelling the parades and putting aside billions to incentivise people to stay at home if they are infected. I’m really encouraged by these events.

If any parent is interested, I’ve been slowly explaining to my young boys what’s going on. I’ve had the flu, pneumonia and bronchitis over the last few years so explained to them it was like when daddy got that but just a lot of people are getting it.

I explained to them that my wife, myself and they will be fine but I also explained that we have to be extra careful around their grand parents because they may feel more sick if they get the virus. They watched the news with me and I explained I’m sad because a lot of people are going to get sick and die. I want my children to empathize with others and I want them to understand that there is a cost to being selfish and self centred at others expense.

Whenever they ask about it I try to address it. I don’t scare them , reassure them and try to use it to get them to take vitamins and wash their hands. Also told them they may be getting time off school at some stage. We also mentioned holidays might not be happening but we won’t know until later on in the year.

My youngest is 6. I don’t believe in keeping everything from our children. When my dad died I was inconsolable for days but tried to let them see me cry and explained to them this is what love is. Love is to feel pain after so much joy so cherish the time with loved ones.

I know people are scared but it’s kind of sad to see suggestions that old or vulnerable should be expendable in the interest of money. I appreciate a balance has to be had and we may not be able to shut everything down but if what’s happening in Italy comes here , it sounds like a lot of people may have to be let die because we won’t have the resources to help them.

This is literally life or death. Yes, our economy is important but it will recover. It recovered in 2008 and it’s in the everybody’s interest that we all get back on track so while it will be scary, when the dust settles our economy will recover. But after this is over I really hope we can look back in pride at how we gave our old, our vulnerable and our healthcare workers the best possible chance to get through this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

If Boris Johnson was off to visit Trump on the taxpayers dime at a time of national crisis he would be slated by most. Same if Trump went to visit Boris.

But when Leo does heads off on business class flights, expensive restaurants and 5 star hotels to the Us he gets a free pass.

Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's a perfectly valid concern, given how the Spanish flu played out, with the second wave being a more dedly mutated version and causing most of the deaths. then There was a third wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I bet Paddy's Day will be blue skies and 20C+ temps after the parades are cancelled.
    Watch I'm tellin ya:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Patricks day parade cancelled in Belfast

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Question about the quarantine if North Italy, if anyone knows.

Is ith the region itself quarantined from the rest of Italy, with people free to move around within the region, or is movement between cities and towns in the region prohibited too?

TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Agree, but won't stop the pubs being full either, but maybe less than usual.

There are other big gatherings in the offing too. International spectators and participants in the Conference centre. Look it up, early April.

Anyway, Cheltenham visitors will return here in their droves. Better isolate them quick!

Switzerland and France has banned indoor events with more than 1000 people.
    Germany seem to be following suit...
    Ireland due to issue updated guidelines on public gatherings tomorrow.

What's the conference centre capacity?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Miike wrote: »

Has that been peer reviewed and confirmed yet?
    The chap asked a question ffs

And I answered him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Some very relevant info updates on the HSE live site - apologies if I'm repeating this.

"It is likely you are more at risk of serious illness if you catch coronavirus and:

are 60 years of age and over
    have a long-term medical condition – for example, heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, cancer or high blood pressure
    If you are in an at-risk group take extra care to protect yourself from coronavirus. We expect there to be community spread of the virus soon. Think about how you can avoid crowded spaces, especially indoors. Indoor spaces are less well ventilated. The virus is more likely to spread in smaller and more crowded spaces.
    "

Not catching this would be the best outcome for those in the at risk category - be antisocial - enjoy homely pursuits and stay well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Blueshoe wrote: »
    If Boris Johnson was off to visit Trump on the taxpayers dime at a time of national crisis he would be slated by most. Same if Trump went to visit Boris.

But when Leo does heads off on business class flights, expensive restaurants and 5 star hotels to the Us he gets a free pass.

Amazing.

The taoiseach goes every year
    Don't see the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

The government action regarding illness benefit is good news. However what happens if you have to go into self isolation because of exposure, have they addressed that?

And mortgage, rent and loan repayments, a lot of people don’t have savings to cover these unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I bet Paddy's Day will be blue skies and 20C+ temps after the parades are cancelled.

That sounds miserable.

We need rain for parades and loads of it.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Not sure anyone said the panic is over did they? The opposite actually!

And "we" are definitely not a nation of gullible fools who believe we are invincible (where did anyone say that?) given all the doom and gloom and suspicion towards any public official!

Look, I meant no offence, but myself included, Irish people tend to be dismissive about directions from Government.

So we can be complacent and gullible just the same in thinking we will not be affected by this like every other country has been, Island Nation or not. We are special.

And I answered him.

You also made some sh*tty ass comment at the start that you pulled from nowhere as if the person was jizzing in their pants at the thought of it

Honestly don't know how you picked that up from his post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

2020 coronavirus outbreak in the Republic of Ireland https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Amazing.

The annual American suck up around Patrick's Day needs to end.

It's utterly bizarre that the head of government and his ministers spend our national day abroad, mostly in the United States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

I know every is saying its only 3 maybe its not that bad here but if anyone watched the video on exponential growth, 3 is approximately what we should be getting at this stage, the daily double digits wont happen for another ~12 days or so if we continue at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Sir Oxman wrote: »

That would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

It's utterly bizarre that the head of government and his ministers spend our national day abroad, mostly in the United States.

It's not really bizarre at all, it's marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The taoiseach goes every year
    Don't see the issue

Some people have no idea as to what happens in politics since the formation of the state. They get their ill-informed ire and anger from Facebuke and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

He should just go to Israel and skip the middle man.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Did this thread get a mention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Are Irish people really that social anymore?

I mean since concern hit Ireland I found a drop in Human interaction in my area. Including less traffic on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Paracetamol limited to one pack in Tesco.
    Don't wait too long to have an appropriate amount at hand, but don't hoard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Amazing.

Flying business class makes complete sense, hard to see how he could keep in touch/in control of matters from economy class.

I doubt there'll be too much fine dining as the optics would be terrible, and he'll probably only spend one night away, so hotels (plural) doesn't paint a true picture.

The trip to the White House is a massive thing for Ireland - the timing is far from ideal this year but it's good to maintain the tradition because if we turn it down it one year we may not get it back,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Guffy wrote: »

Embarrassing then? How insecure are we?

Guffy wrote: »

Marketing?

Lets visit our nation in the middle of a pandemic.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

No, you have me mistaken,
    What I'm getting at is, if someone gets the virus as it is now and recovers, thus your body has built up some sort of immunity, would that person be in a better position if the virus mutates into something more dangerous,
    Just a pure" out of interest " question.
    Believe me the last thing I am doing is fantasizing about this getting worse, trout season starts soon and i certainly don't want to be hold up at home for god knows how long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Isn't it always limited to one pack though?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

You can clearly see at the top of that article it is an accepted manuscript. 99.999% of the research on SARS-CoV-2 will be early access papers because the peer review process is timely and intensive. Is there something in their findings you find refutable?

FFS is always limited to one pack to stop people trying to overdose.:rolleyes:

Nothing bizzare about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Nowadays they spread out and travel all over the world. Visiting Trump is not going to attract business here. Trump called us a tax haven. Said we are basically stealing money owed to the United States.

Why not cut the lies. If they want to attract business they would visit companies. Go visit Gates or Musk.
    It's a holiday. Multinationals come here, they are not sent by the president.

• Advertisement

Flying business class makes complete sense, hard to see how he could keep in touch/in control of matters from economy class.

I doubt there'll be too much fine dining as the optics would be terrible, and he'll probably only spend one night away, so hotels (plural) doesn't paint a true picture.

The trip to the White House is a massive thing for Ireland - the timing is far from ideal this year but it's good to maintain the tradition because if we turn it down it one year we may not get it back,

The Irish American vote in the US is too important for them to let it go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Russians and Saudis have no moral compass, using the virus to start an more impactful oil war, no shame !
    It's not often you hear people complain for paying far less for heating oil, or to fill up the car, enjoy it while it lasts (Along with the pollution free blue skies).

If tesco and dunness start a toilet roll n' bleach or fancy tinned soups price war, it'll be like Christmass for anyone who hasn't considered buying some yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Think paracetamol is always limited to one pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ipso wrote: »
    Did you type that with one hand under the desk?
    What do you think that hand is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

It always was. One paracetamol product only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Miike wrote: »
    As I mentioned last night for up-to-date areas considered high risk areas or areas with sustained community transmission can be found via the WHO SitReps.

The ECDC has deferred to the WHO on this topic also because they are better placed to track this information :)

As it currently stands the HSE's list of affected areas is woefully outdated but it's also not the list the health service is taking direction from.

Also, I want to apologise for being narky in my previous post. I'm sincerely sorry. It's been quite a long day!

Fair enough. Thanks for the info. Can I ask how you know all this?

The HSE are using the same crap list on their public facing pages
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/advice-for-people-returning-from-affected-areas.html

It's a relief to hear that it's not being used internally, but how many cases have been missed because people read the criteria on the most important coronavirus related website in the country and think they don't fit the profile?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Switzerland and France has banned indoor events with more than 1000 people.
    Germany seem to be following suit...
    Ireland due to issue updated guidelines on public gatherings tomorrow.

What's the conference centre capacity?

2k in the Auditorium and many more in the adjoining spaces, up to 8k. The event is over 8 days with participants and supporters/families from all over the world.

https://www.dublinconventionbureau.com/Asset/The_Convention_Centre_Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

Paracetamol is always limited to one pack. This is nothing new.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gw80 wrote: »
    Believe me the last thing I am doing is fantasizing about this getting worse, trout season starts soon and i certainly don't want to be hold up at home for god knows how long.
    It's already started in a few places, but feck going out in this weather. I don't want pleurisy on top of Corona. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Have a think about this for a moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement