Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl table saw

• 08-03-2020 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I see a Lidl table saw for 70 is back around again - brand is 'parkside'

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-deals/portable-table-saw/p38349

Often times, I just want/need a straight cut on a long peice of wood - anyone any experience of this table saw? Worth it? Am I better of saving and buying a proper one?

Comments

Got one before and had it together before I realised some bits were missing out of it. Seemed fairly flimsy anyway so bought one from Screwfix. Was cheaper but better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

jogdish wrote: »
    I see a Lidl table saw for 70 is back around again - brand is 'parkside'

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-deals/portable-table-saw/p38349

Often times, I just want/need a straight cut on a long peice of wood - anyone any experience of this table saw? Worth it? Am I better of saving and buying a proper one?

It's tiny so wonder how much good it would be.
    Would the cordless saw be more suitable? You can always get a long straight edge and clamp what you are cutting to give you a guide to rest against.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-deals/cordless-circular-saw/p38348

12v battery so dont think unit takes the battery that they have been widely selling with drills etc the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

bunderoon wrote: »
    It's tiny so wonder how much good it would be.
    Would the cordless saw be more suitable? You can always get a long straight edge and clamp what you are cutting to give you a guide to rest against.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-deals/cordless-circular-saw/p38348

12v battery so dont think unit takes the battery that they have been widely selling with drills etc the last couple of years.

Have a cordless circular, its fine just you really do see the advantage of a table saw when its just awkward to move the saw compared to feed the wood - hard to describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jogdish wrote: »
    Have a cordless circular, its fine just you really do see the advantage of a table saw when its just awkward to move the saw compared to feed the wood - hard to describe.

Table saws small ones like this are good for one thing and one thing only cutting small repeatable pieces down.

If your looking to rip long sheets of board like ply or MDF then a circular saw is better.

Even ripping down large sheets on machine shop grade circulars if effort.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am planning on building a garden bench plus some planter boxes in the summer, and was going to pick up a mitre saw in the 100-150 bracket. Already have a circular saw (a mini one to be exact).

Would something like this be a better buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

awec wrote: »
    I am planning on building a garden bench plus some planter boxes in the summer, and was going to pick up a mitre saw in the 100-150 bracket. Already have a circular saw (a mini one to be exact).

Would something like this be a better buy?

Wouldn’t recommend it. I had one and read plenty of reports of motors burning out so used it very carefully. Was grand until I started trimming some 10ft white deal battens long side. Took it nice and easy. Went up in flames without warning. You might expect to hear the motor struggling and have time to back off but no.

My advice is stay well clear. Grand for short light pieces but you’ll eventually push it that bit too far. The fence is crap as well.

I got my hands on an old 70’s Startrite with a cast iron top and a solid fence and it’s a dream to use in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I got an Aldi one, similar, waste of money it's now an expensive shelf in the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I got a Lidl mitre saw, never used on before but decided to give it a go. It is what it is, a saw for occasional diy, but given that, I am delighted with it. I had a lot of timber to cut up to make a wall of slatted shelves and it was a revelation after being used to hand sawing. It does have some issues, the (not sure what you call it) metal plate you put the timber against that the blade goes through - is set just a tiny bit off and some cuts don't quite finish. I need to have another look at it, but I think a rubber stud that stops the blade mechanism is just a bit too fat. I will figure it out, its not a big deal. And the clamps are a bit gimcrack. Otherwise it was amazing having all the timber cut straight, accurately and fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Bought a table saw from Lidl maybe 2 years ago. It was blue and branded Scheppach (which according to my carpenter brother was known as a good brand). Saw the parkside branded ones in stock maybe a year later and the construction is identical except for the color and badge.

Flimsy enough unit but I've used it to rip though 16ft lengths of 9x2s from time to time. I had to load the underside of the table with heavy weights to stop it toppling over as I pushed the lengths through so I was being fairly aggressive with it.
    Did a job for me and I still have it...don't have any faith in it lasting or ever cutting anything too accurately but for the money it saved my circular saw some abuse.
    Bought a scheppach branded plunge saw (the type that runs on a flat rail type) also from Lidl. Great unit for the part time DIYer. Hardly use my circular saw now at all.

My scheppach table saw died in under a month. Not worth a ****e. And trying to get motor parts for it. No hope the parts were as much as a new saw.

Avoid like the plague.

I've a DeWalt now brush less night and day performance.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    My scheppach table saw died in under a month. Not worth a ****e. And trying to get motor parts for it. No hope the parts were as much as a new saw.

Avoid like the plague.

I've a DeWalt now brush less night and day performance.

And night and day price I'd say.

Did you get the scheppach in Lidl? If not, avoid like Covid19 alright I'd say but if getting in Lidl with a 3 year warranty you could get a job done and if it burns out you have not lost anything except the inconvenience of returning it.
    If you are a professional and need your tools to be dependable buy a well respected brand item. If not, there's nothing wrong with a lot of the Lidl hardware for occasional use given the price point.

And night and day price I'd say.

Did you get the scheppach in Lidl? If not, avoid like Covid19 alright I'd say but if getting in Lidl with a 3 year warranty you could get a job done and if it burns out you have not lost anything except the inconvenience of returning it.
    If you are a professional and need your tools to be dependable buy a well respected brand item. If not, there's nothing wrong with a lot of the Lidl hardware for occasional use given the price point.

If returning you must return within 6 months to get a refund. Thereafter it’s repair or replace.

That’s not a bad policy but after 6 months it’s still quite an inconvenience.

I bought one. Didn’t use for 6 months. Then it went up in flames the third time I used it. Was given a replacement and they didn’t collect the old one as I was at work during attempted delivery.

So two pieces of crap sitting in my shed. One broken and one I dare not use. Eventually got rid of both.

As has been said already. Avoid like the plague

hesker wrote: »
    If returning you must return within 6 months to get a refund. Thereafter it’s repair or replace.

That’s not a bad policy but after 6 months it’s still quite an inconvenience.

I bought one. Didn’t use for 6 months. Then it went up in flames the third time I used it. Was given a replacement and they didn’t collect the old one as I was at work during attempted delivery.

So two pieces of crap sitting in my shed. One broken and one I dare not use. Eventually got rid of both.

As has been said already. Avoid like the plague

Important to recognize that everyone's experiences will differ. If bad experiences were the norm there wouldn't be a market for the tools in the first place because quite quickly no one would buy. Advice to avoid like the plague is hardly balanced.
    I've come through a house build in the last 5 years. Have 6 Lidl tools to back up Makita and Dewalt. Abused the Lidl tools and only problem I came across was a broken button on a demolition hammer which I could fix myself. Each to their own I guess (I don't work for Lidl btw).

To the OP, eyes open when you buy. LIDL are not a top brand name but are inexpensive. If you are completely risk averse, stay away but if you think that the tools are still being sold because more often than not they do work then you should factor that in to your decision.

Important to recognize that everyone's experiences will differ. If bad experiences were the norm there wouldn't be a market for the tools in the first place because quite quickly no one would buy. Advice to avoid like the plague is hardly balanced.
    I've come through a house build in the last 5 years. Have 6 Lidl tools to back up Makita and Dewalt. Abused the Lidl tools and only problem I came across was a broken button on a demolition hammer which I could fix myself. Each to their own I guess (I don't work for Lidl btw).

To the OP, eyes open when you buy. LIDL are not a top brand name but are inexpensive. If you are completely risk averse, stay away but if you think that the tools are still being sold because more often than not they do work then you should factor that in to your decision.

This is a thread about the table saw, not other tools.

I think the op has received plenty of balanced opinions in the thread so best of luck to him/her.

I have an array of tools in the garage,

DeWalt
    Makita
    Hitachi
    Ryobi
    Bosch
    Black and Decker
    Workzone
    Parkside

All brands i use for varying degrees of use and jobs. All fairly abused. No brand would i stick with for 1 purpose because there isnt a brand on the planet that gets it all right. They usually shown up by a rival brand on some type of item.

The scheppach table saw is the biggest barrel of ****e going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

Thanks for all the replies, never bought it.

listermint wrote: »
    I have an array of tools in the garage,

The scheppach table saw is the biggest barrel of ****e going.

Have to agree to disagree, but I'll use mine with care given the opinions posted here. It's still under warranty so first sign of smoke and I'll head straight for the petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

I don’t really know what people give so much bad rap to Parkerside tools.
    I have a small sign making and installation business. I build stands, tables and all kinds of things. So I do have a fair usage of my tools. Plus I DIY a fair bit. And guess what, over the last few years when old Makittas broke I swapped them with Lidl Parkside tools. I just tried them once and was amazed at how a tools 4 times cheaper can be so good. For the fraction of price i can have now multiple cordless drills of all sizes, cordless screw drivers, trimmers, reciprocate saw, heck even a chain saw. And they all feel decent in my hands. Yes a 500-600 yoyos DW drill will feel, look and work better but at what cost?

With table saw tho, I wanted to buy it but was afraid it might be too wonky. I needed it for occasional furniture making(with fair precision). But It just didn’t look like it can deliver that. But to be honest under 200 euro you won’t find anything better. Unless you are lucky to come across a good used saw at an auction. I kinda regret I didn’t buy it when it was out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Alaninwondeand

alex_r wrote: »
    I don’t really know what people give so much bad rap to Parkerside tools.
    I have a small sign making and installation business. I build stands, tables and all kinds of things. So I do have a fair usage of my tools. Plus I DIY a fair bit. And guess what, over the last few years when old Makittas broke I swapped them with Lidl Parkside tools. I just tried them once and was amazed at how a tools 4 times cheaper can be so good. For the fraction of price i can have now multiple cordless drills of all sizes, cordless screw drivers, trimmers, reciprocate saw, heck even a chain saw. And they all feel decent in my hands. Yes a 500-600 yoyos DW drill will feel, look and work better but at what cost?

With table saw tho, I wanted to buy it but was afraid it might be too wonky. I needed it for occasional furniture making(with fair precision). But It just didn’t look like it can deliver that. But to be honest under 200 euro you won’t find anything better. Unless you are lucky to come across a good used saw at an auction. I kinda regret I didn’t buy it when it was out.

Have they sold any of the parkside welder's recently? I would love too get one for practising.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

They have. I got one with a flux cord. It's not MIG or TIG, but once you get a hang of it does the job. The flux cord is the biggest pain tho. But that's just I never used it(I learned on MIG), I think flux cord, in general, is messy. So, keep that in mind when practising. They do sell stick welders as well. Those should be straightforward and do the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement