Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for those with Digiweb and Fritzbox

Options
  • 08-03-2020 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Digiweb is getting installed next week whilst I am away.

To ensure that the devices in the house connect with the new network when I am away (wired and wireless), I have configured the box with my current IP range 192.168.0.x and setup the SSID and password to be the same as the current router. This way someone in the house can simply power down the current router and power on the Friztbox and everything should be seamless.

I noticed in the quick start guide that came with the fritzbox that the Siro box plugs into LAN1. And so I got to thinking, does the Siro box require the IP range of the Fritzbox to be 192.168.178.x? (the out of the box IP range)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

davkav wrote: »
    Digiweb is getting installed next week whilst I am away.

To ensure that the devices in the house connect with the new network when I am away (wired and wireless), I have configured the box with my current IP range 192.168.0.x and setup the SSID and password to be the same as the current router. This way someone in the house can simply power down the current router and power on the Friztbox and everything should be seamless.

I noticed in the quick start guide that came with the fritzbox that the Siro box plugs into LAN1. And so I got to thinking, does the Siro box require the IP range of the Fritzbox to be 192.168.178.x? (the out of the box IP range)

No - i have Siro with Digiweb(and previously Vodafone) but use my own kit.
    Can't remember the setup with the fritzbox that was originally installed but I would expect it to connect from connection they install to the WAN port of the router and not LAN.

Anyway, no issues with using your own internal IP range.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭65535

LAN1 of Fritz Box is the WAN port.
    You can set it how you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hi Folks,

Contract with siro vodafone just up and thinking of moving to digiweb...i see they use fritzbox..are Digiweb better as result of the fritzbox>

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

I couldn't say if Digiweb is any better as a service than Vodafone, as I have no experience of the latter.

From other reviews I have read, the Fritzbox is a far superior modem/router than the one supplied by Vodafone.

For me, Digiweb has been rock solid since installation in March last year. Speeds are consistently north of 900 Mbit/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

With Digiweb since 2006 (first Metro, then FTTC and hopefully FTTH soon). Best ISP I have ever dealt with, bar none. FritzBox is an amazingly capable home router/modem.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million lads, will give them a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Why are you choosing Digiweb? Is it based on the router alone? You could always buy your own router and consider other providers. Pure telecom are offering very competitive deals and might supply you with a fritzbox, it seems to be a lottery with them, you either get a fritzbox or dusty bin(rebranded eir router)

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Why are you choosing Digiweb? Is it based on the router alone? You could always buy your own router and consider other providers. Pure telecom are offering very competitive deals and might supply you with a fritzbox, it seems to be a lottery with them, you either get a fritzbox or dusty bin(rebranded eir router)

no just that i seem to be reading good reviews for them. It would be 5 euro cheaper a month to sign into a contract with vodafone again, and no set up fees. would i be right in saying that difference between all of them will be nothing other than the modem or can they control speeds? DIgiweb quotes higher upload speeds

LillySV wrote: »
    no just that i seem to be reading good reviews for them. It would be 5 euro cheaper a month to sign into a contract with vodafone again, and no set up fees. would i be right in saying that difference between all of them will be nothing other than the modem or can they control speeds? DIgiweb quotes higher upload speeds

Be careful with the upload speeds being quoted by Digiweb I think their site is out of date and their upload speed is the same as everyone else’s. If VF is working fine for you and is cheaper I’d stick with them, 60 sovs might as well be in your pocket as Digiweb’s. It’s always worth considering using your own router I’m using an Asus router and it’s perfect for my house, I’m on VM 360 meg bb and I get 360 wirelessly.

I'm using 3 x Fritzboxes in a Mesh on Virgin Media 1GB - no problems

• Advertisement

65535 wrote: »
    I'm using 3 x Fritzboxes in a Mesh on Virgin Media 1GB - no problems

What wireless speeds are you getting?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What wireless speeds are you getting?

The WiFi speeds will depend on the following:

Closeness to the Router itself.
    The Device under test

Whether on 2.4 or 5 GHz
    The router itself as many Fritz Boxes have different speeds depending on type etc.

Holding a Samsung Note 9 up to a router and using the speedtest app -> 250 Mbps down and 45 Mbps up
    Multiple devices on the 3 routers with no issues.

I have 3 x Fritz Box 7490 units
    Here is a listing of speeds that they produce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Fritz!Box_devices

65535 wrote: »
    The WiFi speeds will depend on the following:

Closeness to the Router itself.
    The Device under test

Whether on 2.4 or 5 GHz
    The router itself as many Fritz Boxes have different speeds depending on type etc.

Holding a Samsung Note 9 up to a router and using the speedtest app -> 250 Mbps down and 45 Mbps up
    Multiple devices on the 3 routers with no issues.

I have 3 x Fritz Box 7490 units
    Here is a listing of speeds that they produce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Fritz!Box_devices

They wouldn't be great speeds from a 1Gig connection.
    I'm getting this wirelessly using the speedtest W10 app https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/f089f73d-aa59-42d9-b6d4-680acc6a968b
    Asus rt-ac86u router.
    VM 360 Mbit connection.

I never had a problem with 250 Mbps down and with the mesh it works fine for my uses.
    The newer PC's/Laptops that have new wireless cards seem to function fine - I must test them and see what speeds they get.

Excuse my ignorance on this matter ... but is the only difference between providers only the router or are any of the providers known to throttle their full speed to users ?

LillySV wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance on this matter ... but is the only difference between providers only the router or are any of the providers known to throttle their full speed to users ?

Some providers have significant speed drops in the evenings from 6 to 11pm speeds can be dreadful making the connection unusable in some cases. This is down to routing, eir and pure telecom are the best in this regard others like sky, VF etc can be terrible it's really a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Having myself and family members through most providers I have found Digiweb to be the best

3 reasons

1) Good Router/wifi out of the box. Solid Fritz box.
    2) Peering/routing. I rarely have any issues with throttling or issues with Ip ranges being blocked etc
    3) Customer service seems to know what they are talking about.

Ok slightly different prob... for brainless entertainment I often go onto the likes of worldstarhiphop to watch funny/dumbass situations around the world ...for last two days vids won’t play right ... like they are buffering or stopping as no/very slow internet ,internet isn’t super ..: but wouldn’t think it’s so slow to cause that.... my contract with Vodafone ended afew days ago.... that’s hardly the reason ? Or they throttle me down

Advertisement