Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Trading Setup

Options
  • 08-03-2020 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Im not sure if this is in the right forum, mods can you move it if needs be. I am trying to set up a trading system at home. I have ordered a desktop with screens etc. My issue is that my broadband is currently downstairs in the sitting room, directly under the Office Room which i will be using. There are currently no ports in the room to plug in an ethernet cable. My question is, what would be the best way to get internet supply to the desktop upstairs. I know i can either get a port installed upstairs or run a cable from downstairs. I need the fastest speeds possible so I am unsure if running a cable would be the best course of action. Any tech heads shed some light on this? Is it a big job to get an ethernet port installed upstairs? And will i get the same speeds from an ethernet port as if i plugged directly into the modem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Shanee. wrote: »
    Hello,

Im not sure if this is in the right forum, mods can you move it if needs be. I am trying to set up a trading system at home. I have ordered a desktop with screens etc. My issue is that my broadband is currently downstairs in the sitting room, directly under the Office Room which i will be using. There are currently no ports in the room to plug in an ethernet cable. My question is, what would be the best way to get internet supply to the desktop upstairs. I know i can either get a port installed upstairs or run a cable from downstairs. I need the fastest speeds possible so I am unsure if running a cable would be the best course of action. Any tech heads shed some light on this? Is it a big job to get an ethernet port installed upstairs? And will i get the same speeds from an ethernet port as if i plugged directly into the modem?

An ether port in normal parlance is just an ethernet socket wired to a device which provides the route to other devices and the internet.

You best option is to put in place an ethernet cable, from your internet router to a suitable location in the office.

You can use a port/socket at both ends which will need to be attached to the two devices using patch (short ethernet) cables, or you could have the ends of the cable with RJ45 plugs on them plugged into the two devices without any port/socket ...... or a combination of both.

In any case you need to run an ethernet cable from one location to the other.

Fitting wall sockets is by far the most acceptable to most people as it is the tidiest.
    Loose cables have the danger of being pulled and strained.

But there will be no difference in the speeds available in either case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Sorted thank you

Advertisement