Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure where I am going

Options
  • 08-03-2020 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all...

not sure this is the right place to post but hoping to get some advice as I don't have anyone to talk to.

i don't want to give too much away so i'm hoping people can pick up what i'm trying to say.

I have been working for several years now after college. My first year was a year long internship in a field I liked in Dublin, where I moved to. There was no way of staying there so I found another job. The job i applied for was in my field. Went for the interview, spoke about a project for 6 months and would lead to another role. Ok.

I took it and job/job title was not related really to my field or what I wanted. i assumed because the job was advertised with a different title that it would lead to it eventually.

i guess they thought i wasn't good enough as it never materialised. i raised concerns about my career direction and they did a small bit to help but nothing major. No experience at the coal face which is what i needed/wanted.

i've been working there for years now, getting money increases and. I like my colleagues, the job is fine itself, where I live is nice. So that's why I didn't move. I do feel like I'm behind where I should be. I'm not at a level I think I should be.

They say you are good at what you like, but apparantly I am not that good at what I like. I guess I have some weaknesses that are stopping me.

My worries are that I have degree in X, I am working in Y. Or even, I don't know what I am working in. I can't think of where I go if I leave. I feel it's very niche.

I plan on moving away from Dublin sometime, don't know when, but I am worried about where I go from here. I don't have enough experience in X, and maybe I don't have the skills for it anyways even though it is what I like and enjoy.

And even if I knew what kind of position I could go for related to my current one, I feel like I wasted several years in college working towards it.

Anyone out there been in similar positions? If I go back to the start somewhere I'd be dropping salary a big amount etc.

Sorry as I have probably been rambling but as I said I have no one to talk or get advice from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I recommend seeing a career coach. I understand you don't want to give too much away, and that's fine, but on the other hand it's hard to advise on generalities.
    Just remember that what you did for your degree becomes less relevant after your first couple of jobs.

Advertisement