Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get 11 thousand pics and vids to appear in order they were taken?

Options
  • 08-03-2020 4:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

They were bounced from a now damaged iPhone to a laptop’s external drive

It’s years of pics and vids and I need them appearing in order they were taken

I’ve tried:

- Sorting by: Date Modified
    - Sorting by: Date Created

And they’re still randomly jumbled

Any ideas to get the pics and vids in this folder in chronological order?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Assuming the laptop is running Windows: Right click on the column header in the folder, click "More...", tick the checkbox beside "Date Taken", then click "OK"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

I'd look at renaming all the images based on the EXIF information stored inside the files.
    Something like IMG_YYYYMMDDHHMMss.jpg would work well.

Do a search for "EXIF tag rename files" and see if you find a tool that suits you.

That way explorer can sort them by date just by sorting them by name.
    At some point during the bounce the file creation date lost any connection with when the Image was created.

While I think renaming them may give you more flexibility in the long run, the "Date Taken" suggestion is ideal,
    and may work more completely for some video files.

Advertisement