Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing pull cord switch with a wall one

Options
  • 08-03-2020 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm currently search for an apartment to buy and figured that some apartments have pull cords for bathroom lighting. Let aside the hygiene aspect of that, I think they are very ugly.

Do you know how much it'd cost to replace it with a wall switch (on the outside wall of the bathroom). I get that it could mean drilling the wall etc, but the situation is likely similar in all bathrooms of that type so costs are likely close as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

oiramko wrote: »
    I'm currently search for an apartment to buy and figured that some apartments have pull cords for bathroom lighting. Let aside the hygiene aspect of that, I think they are very ugly.

Do you know how much it'd cost to replace it with a wall switch (on the outside wall of the bathroom). I get that it could mean drilling the wall etc, but the situation is likely similar in all bathrooms of that type so costs are likely close as well.

Most likely they are pull cords for the electric shower No? And the lights are on switches

• Registered Users Posts: 17,102 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm in a lot of bathrooms every day working & while there are some bathrooms with pull cord switch for lights I have to say that there are very few. This doesn't answer OPs questions on price to move one but I think Stoner might be right. Maybe OP is mixing up shower isolation switchs with light switches?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oiramko

Pull cords are used both for lights and a shower. The shower one looked more heavy duty, almost like having a fuse (there was some light indicator on it), while the one turning on/off the light was just a cord really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Pull cords are extremely common for bathroom light switches here.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

An easier option might be to replace the pull cord with an occupancy sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 oiramko

An easier option might be to replace the pull cord with an occupancy sensor.
    That sounds like a good idea, thanks!

I guess it does not really work for the pull cord for electric shower, right? Is it there for safety?

You probably find these questions silly but I am coming from where electric showers or pull cords are not really a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

oiramko wrote: »
    That sounds like a good idea, thanks!

I guess it does not really work for the pull cord for electric shower, right? Is it there for safety?

You probably find these questions silly but I am coming from where electric showers or pull cords are not really a thing.

No it won't work for a shower because the current will be too high to switch using a sensor. It would also be very annoying as it would most likely turn the shower off while you were in it because it may not pick up movement.

Yes it's for safety and no the questions aren't silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would imagine pull chord for shower will isolate shower if servicing is needed on it.
    Occupancy sensor is handy if running to the loo in a hurry but i have mine set low possibly 15 - 30 secs before switching off or triggers again.
    I did have outside light switch on wall as house is old and per walls,new updated bathroom has leds in roof ,bathroom cabinet illumination and now sensor in roof/ceiling when just walking on in.
    Might depend on apartment on what walls are made of and difficulty in routing cables but assume they will know the best route to take.

Advertisement