Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lambs suffocating in birth sac

• 08-03-2020 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

started loosing a few too many lambs here at lambing from suffocating in the sac when they are born..have noticed the sac's being very thick and hard to break on some that i have had to pull!..any idea what causes this?..mineral deficiency maybe?..no problems with weak lambs do once there out of the sac

Comments

started loosing a few too many lambs here at lambing from suffocating in the sac when they are born..have noticed the sac's being very thick and hard to break on some that i have had to pull!..any idea what causes this?..mineral deficiency maybe?..no problems with weak lambs do once there out of the sac

Too easy lambed,they are not forcing through it coming out imo

I had that problem last year,you just have to be there,charloais by any chance??

(I think the sac being strong is a sign of well fed ewes and everything being right inside afaik,)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

I had that problem last year,you just have to be there,charloais by any chance??

(I think the sac being strong is a sign of well fed ewes and everything being right inside afaik,)

no texel n Suffolk rams on mainly mule ewes..problem only really started recently the past few days

no texel n Suffolk rams on mainly mule ewes..problem only really started recently the past few days

Jesus...im no help for you so

Thats what i put it down to,with charlois lambs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Happened me back in 2012 after a bad year. Ewes where thinner & I feed hard and was using lick buckets & I blamed them

Had to be there 24/7

By any chance did you use lick or feed buckets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

razor8 wrote: »
    Happened me back in 2012 after a bad year. Ewes where thinner & I feed hard and was using lick buckets & I blamed them

Had to be there 24/7

no never use licks at all,im wondering is it a mineral deficiency causing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

razor8 wrote: »

Had to be there 24/7

Must be very frustrating, never had it here,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wrangler wrote: »
    Must be very frustrating, never had it here,

nightmare. even when you were already in the shed you could still lose one if not alert or doing other things

thankfully never an issue since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

I have a mate with texel x ewes for sale this back end ,they won't have this problem:D(see general thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Had It here a few years back. I changed to a different brand of ewe nuts at the time and haven't seen it since.

Advertisement