Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Stock - avoid the virus hysteria

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

They also had a sign up at the entrance advising they were closing at 22:00 until further notice instead of the usual 24:00. Suspect they have staffing issues.

Reduced store hours are more to do with allowing more time to for staff to restock shelves (that normally wouldn't empty so fast) and to also perform more frequent deep cleanings (that previously wouldn't have been as regular a requirement).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Aldi in Clonee had a fine stock of everything this evening, except antibacterial hygiene and household cleaning products. A vast improvement on one week ago.

I understand most supermarkets are considering reducing their opening hours, not because they are short staffed, but because most unsociable hours work has stopped, so their late night custom has evaporated. I agree it also offers better opportunity for cleansing and hopefully will give the exhausted staff longer down time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Zaph wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be soap anywhere for love or money. Oh well, Fairy Liquid is supposed to be kind to your hands. :D

Dealz had Dove soap last weekend. Also places like the body shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Caranica wrote: »
    SuperValu in Blanchardstown village is probably the best stocked of the lot. Plenty of water, loo roll, baking supplies, pasta etc. Don't shop there very often but was very impressed the other day.

Great Supervalu it is in the village always well looked after. Only bested for me by Dunnes in the centre which is the best since they upgraded the place. Their food hall and bakery sections are brilliant. Also Sheridan's cheesmongers.

Tesco Roselawn was ok today around 11.30am. Very little pasta (only rigatone and some of the fancier stuff) or regular bags of rice. No handwash. But otherwise fine. Lots of fresh fruit and veg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Lots of stock in aldi mulhuddart. Low on sanitary products. Wasn't looking for soap thankfully. Lots of rice pasta passata etc was there after 5pm this evening because I'm stuck at home with the kids so had to wait until hubby came in from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭raheny red

I was in Aldi Mulhuddart myself yday, very impressed. Soap the only issue all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

Was in Aldi Clonee this morning too.
    Fruit, veg, breads and meats fully stocked.

No flour as usual, limited amount of rice, pasta.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was in SuperValu earlier. They had some flour, but only plain or wholemeal, no strong flour. No liquid soap either, but there were a few bars of soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭raheny red

Just left Dealz. About 50 bottles of Papmolive liquid soap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

dunnes ongar queue system seems to work ok fairly quite in there around haif five this evening .

dunnes ongar queue system seems to work ok fairly quite in there around haif five this evening .

I was in there not long after that and although I strolled right in, as I left there were 10 or 15 bodies queued up outside just to get in the door.

The front aisles are full of people queuing for the tills and its impossible to keep a decent distance. It'll be a Tesco Extra for me for anything I can't get in the Germans for the duration of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Zaph wrote: »
    Was in SuperValu earlier ... no strong flour.
    I've been using my bread machine almost daily for over 8 years. Where is all the strong flour going? Is the fear of no bread turning everyone into home bread makers?
    I had to buy a loaf of Brennans for the first time in years.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I've been using my bread machine almost daily for over 8 years. Where is all the strong flour going? Is the fear of no bread turning everyone into home bread makers?
    I had to buy a loaf of Brennans for the first time in years.

I think that's basically it. It was the same during the big snow a couple of years ago, I remember it was almost impossible to get strong flour then too. It appears to be a panic-buy item when there are perceived shortages of bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mother is getting bread from this place back home. Proper stuff and everyone should be supporting. Free delivery in D15 or collect in Ongar
    https://sourdoughandbeyond.com/

RasTa wrote: »
    Mother is getting bread from this place back home. Proper stuff and everyone should be supporting. Free delivery in D15 or collect in Ongar
    https://sourdoughandbeyond.com/

We've been getting bread from them since before all this started. Really top quality sourdough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I had to venture into Argos in Blanch today, have to say they have the best system in place of any shop I've been in so far. Hand sanitiser and a guy on the door counting people going in, boxes taped on the floor. You pay for your item (while the cashier observes social distancing also) and then a guy shepherds you into a box to wait for your item. And there was other employees in there telling people to observe the distances too. Very well done. Got the feeling some people were thick and wouldn't do what they were being told to do, but f&%$ them.

Tesco Extra on the Navan Road was in good shape this afternoon, they were metering the number of customers in the store and people were queuing in orderly fashion.

Was impressed with SuperValu yesterday when I went down there. Sanitiser on the way in, plus spray and paper towels to wipe down your trolley or basket if you want. They also had those disposable plastic gloves which you could help yourself to, saw several people apart from myself wearing them while doing their shopping. Hands were very sweaty afterwards though. :D They also had the floor marked out to ensure there was a 2m gap between people queuing at the checkouts. While I just went straight in when I arrived, when I left about 15 minutes later they had a guy holding people from going in until others had left to keep numbers in the store to a certain level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Here's local business that's trying to adapt with the catering supply trade going tits up: https://www.lepatissier.ie/
    https://twitter.comwww/LePatissier1/status/1241469689798307840?s=20
    I had to lay off my entire team so it’s just me at the moment until i can build it back up with business to consumer (business to business has gone) Collections from my kitchens in Le Patissier (mulhuddart) orders@lepatissier.ie and cart in the making at http://lepatissier.ie

He has stunning cakes, cheese cakes and tarts and an impressive amount of Blás awards. Looking forward to spoiling myself with an order! Also thanks for mentioning the sour dough delivery lads, much appreciated.

https://twitter.com/LePatissier1/status/1241469689798307840?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Not vital by any means but I can't find any flour in the local shops for baking - self-raising or plain and I'm reluctant to search the supermarkets for just one item. Grateful for the nod if anyone comes across some. I know SuperValu had none this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Not vital by any means but I can't find any flour in the local shops for baking - self-raising or plain and I'm reluctant to search the supermarkets for just one item. Grateful for the nod if anyone comes across some. I know SuperValu had none this morning.

Was in Tesco’s Roselawn on Friday afternoon and noted the complete lack of flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Anyone been to Dunnes in the center today?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

jim salter wrote: »
    Anyone been to Dunnes in the center today?

Went there around 19:00 - very quite - guy at till commented that it had been like that all day

Theres no shop bought flour anywhere. Stock is being held back by the producers to send to the commercial bread makers. Demand for both has risen sharply and so home baking comes second.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jarik

Polostores at Coolmine Industrial Estate had wheat flour last Saturday, maybe some other ethnic shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Loads of flour in Tesco this morning. Plain/Self Raising/Wholemeal

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Jarik wrote: »
    Polostores at Coolmine Industrial Estate had wheat flour last Saturday, maybe some other ethnic shops.

Thanks, I went to M&S in the centre on a whim and they had plenty. There were less than 10 customers too and I was able to make Lemon Drizzle Cake for Mother's day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

https://www.pallasfoods.com/

Pallas Wholesalers are doing Click and Collect for shoppers avoiding supermarkets, and they've a huuuuuge range on their site, including flours for anyone on the Sour Dough kick. Some stuff is bulk sizes but there's smaller sizes for lots of products too.

https://twitter.com/GastroGays/status/1242818103433662465?s=20

GastroGays running a thread with a list of producers and suppliers doing delivery direct to consumers at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Seen a shop with a big warning that "no cash taken,only cards" ...
    Has the digital cashless NWO started already !?

Advertisement