Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Stock - avoid the virus hysteria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vast number of places are card only now. Cash is already dead in Scandinavia so we're just catching up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

L1011 wrote: »
    Vast number of places are card only now. Cash is already dead in Scandinavia so we're just catching up

If anybody has any dead cash lying around I can come and collect free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Was in Dunnes Blanch this morning.
    The centre is like a ghost mall now.

Dunnes have the store Q system well organised now, with you queueing down by Eason.
    Let into store in small groups to keep some form of social distancing.
    Gloves, sanitizer and free tea/coffee available while you wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Apparently there was a panic buying rush Saturday morning after Leo's further restrictions announcement Friday evening but it had subsided by lunchtime Saturday. I shopped at Dunnes Ongar yesterday (Sunday) and apart from 15 queuing in front of me to get in (queue moved very quickly), the shelves were full of everything apart from limited amounts of pasta.

Everyone adhered to social distancing, gloves and sanitizers available by baskets which everyone availed of and I noticed many more people wearing face masks this week than last week. No children were in the store either.

One thing I found unusual was that despite having to queue, a fair amount of people were just coming out of Dunnes with just a 6 pack of beer or frozen pizza or one/two items. Surely people should restrict themselves to one big grocery shop once a week or so as popping in every day of the week to get one or two things increases by seven times the risk of you spreading/catching the virus?

I'm thinking of restricting my shopping to once a fortnight and freeze perishables like milk to help reduce my dependency on shop visits. I can understand it's not as easy to do a big shop if you don't have a car though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Plenty of local shops can assist free delivery as it might be worth checking out if you are self isolating.Gaa clubs clubs coming onboard also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I know we're gone well beyond bog roll now so in relation to the few posts above, please note:

Each of the 31 County Councils have from today put in place a Community Response Forum, ostensibly to support vulnerable people further disadvantaged by the enhanced restrictions and free up Gardaí to police them.

Fingal County Councils number is 01 8905000 and is manned 9am-5pm, 7 days.

Services include:

Collection and delivery of food and medicines

Transportation to medical and other vital appointments

Delivery of meals on wheels and new ready-meal services

Social isolation support, engagement and advice

Police and security concerns (Garda liaison)

General medical and virus conditions enquiries

Let your vulnerable family and friends know and check the number for your local authority area.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

ongarboy wrote: »
    a fair amount of people were just coming out of Dunnes with just a 6 pack of beer or frozen pizza or one/two items. Surely people should restrict themselves to one big grocery shop once a week or so

That's fine if you have a car, some people have to walk or take public transport (me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

That's fine if you have a car, some people have to walk or take public transport (me!)

I’m afraid you’re missing the point, in that beer and pizza are not essential food or hygiene purchases. The idea is to minimise a individuals risk of been infected whilst outside the home and to be outside the home for as little as possible.
    So if you do need to go to the supermarket, go to your nearest local one and plan your shopping. Not just Beer, Pizza and Maltesers, unless that’s your staple diet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hapi food co-op is starting deliveries this weekend. It's not cheap but local and fresh. I've placed an order so will see how it goes https://www.hapifoodco.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I’m afraid you’re missing the point, in that beer and pizza are not essential food or hygiene purchases. The idea is to minimise a individuals risk of been infected whilst outside the home and to be outside the home for as little as possible.
    So if you do need to go to the supermarket, go to your nearest local one and plan your shopping. Not just Beer, Pizza and Maltesers, unless that’s your staple diet. :D

Not missing the point at all mate, I was saying some people have to walk etc. and cant do a large shop for a week, and perhaps some of the people who are only getting 2 or 3 items don't have enough money at that time to buy 9 or 10 items at once, you don't know other peoples circumstances, however I do understand the principal of what your saying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ipadzz

Thanks KGLady –– aside from Twitter Thread, myself and Russell are also compiling/elaborating on the offers on this megapost on the site. Just allows us more flexibility (and characters, and space!) than Twitter does: https://bit.ly/C19GG
    KGLady wrote: »
    https://www.pallasfoods.com/

Pallas Wholesalers are doing Click and Collect for shoppers avoiding supermarkets, and they've a huuuuuge range on their site, including flours for anyone on the Sour Dough kick. Some stuff is bulk sizes but there's smaller sizes for lots of products too.

https://twitter.com/GastroGays/status/1242818103433662465?s=20

GastroGays running a thread with a list of producers and suppliers doing delivery direct to consumers at home.

ipadzz wrote: »
    Thanks KGLady –– aside from Twitter Thread, myself and Russell are also compiling/elaborating on the offers on this megapost on the site. Just allows us more flexibility (and characters, and space!) than Twitter does: https://bit.ly/C19GG

You've left off hapifood co-op as per my post above ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

first time in dunnes ongar today this week seem to be letting a small enough number in at the one time which is fair enough but will mean allow a good bit of time so make your visit count i think .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah I think thats the hack for it, make a very decent trip to the supermarket as seldom as possible.

I nipped over to the Super Valu in Dunboyne earlier to get a few superquinn sausages and other morale boosting treats, and while its a great shop, I really thought their metering of customers was too excessive. It was quiet enough generally, but there were 20/25 queuing outside and when i got inside there were literally 7 or 8 customers in the shop at once. Not to take away from their lovely shop and excellent disinfection setup, but they are losing a lot of custom unnecessarily as people drive in and see the queue of people and drive out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

Great to hear. Too many people still don't know how to behave during this in a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Picked up a delivery from Pallas this week, it works on a prebooked pickup timeslot so when you arrive they have your order boxed up ready to go and have a table set up outside for you to take it, or they'll pop it into the boot for you.

Very happy with the quality, fruit and veg in particular, the pricing is excellent as its wholesale. Its a longer trip to go collect obviously but with less traffic and the convenience of picking the products at home, its not much longer v's queuing at the supermarket.

For anyone who is immune compromised or under isolation its a very safe option.

Caranica wrote: »
    Hapi food co-op is starting deliveries this weekend. It's not cheap but local and fresh. I've placed an order so will see how it goes https://www.hapifoodco.ie/

This came yesterday and I was so impressed that I've already placed another order. I'm using their co-op and not meal plan option. Really good quality, really fresh. Milk is organic which I'm delighted with as I haven't been able to find low fat organic since all this madness started.

I looked at Pallas but not a runner as it's only me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

This came yesterday and I was so impressed that I've already placed another order. I'm using their co-op and not meal plan option. Really good quality, really fresh. Milk is organic which I'm delighted with as I haven't been able to find low fat organic since all this madness started.

I looked at Pallas but not a runner as it's only me at the moment.

Oh Nudie Foods are in their Co-Op that's great to know as they are D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

KGLady wrote: »
    Picked up a delivery from Pallas this week, it works on a prebooked pickup timeslot so when you arrive they have your order boxed up ready to go and have a table set up outside for you to take it, or they'll pop it into the boot for you.

Very happy with the quality, fruit and veg in particular, the pricing is excellent as its wholesale. Its a longer trip to go collect obviously but with less traffic and the convenience of picking the products at home, its not much longer v's queuing at the supermarket.

For anyone who is immune compromised or under isolation its a very safe option.

I also got food here last week and going later today also. Great food, fresh and very good value. I pulled up, reversed car in, good chap loaded it straight into the boot and I was on my way within 2-3 mins. Went from Clonsilla and was there and back within 45 mins (20 mins each way + 5 mins to load into car).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Went to dunnes in blanch centre (8.30pm) and the queue for entry was back to build a bear, about 15min.

Not a good range of fruit and vegetables left at that time but a good stock of everything else, even small hand sanitizer for €5 with security stickers on them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The timing of when it's busy or quiet seems to have no rhyme or reason. I walked straight into Dunnes Ongar on Saturday at 5pm with surprisingly no queue but coming out just 20 minutes later with my groceries, a queue went back and around to the car park (40+ shoppers I'd say) so I still can't ascertain when is the best time to avoid queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

Phil.x wrote: »
    Went to dunnes in blanch centre (8.30pm) and the queue for entry was back to build a bear, about 15min.

Not a good range of fruit and vegetables left at that time but a good stock of everything else, even small hand sanitizer for €5 with security stickers on them!

On Wednesday around 8pm there was no queue at all, so could be just a "pre-Easter" rush or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

ongarboy wrote: »
    The timing of when it's busy or quiet seems to have no rhyme or reason. I walked straight into Dunnes Ongar on Saturday at 5pm with surprisingly no queue but coming out just 20 minutes later with my groceries, a queue went back and around to the car park (40+ shoppers I'd say) so I still can't ascertain when is the best time to avoid queues.

I've seen similar with Tesco in Roselawn. Some days I've walked by at 7:30 in the morning and there's been queues around the car park, and the same time a day or two later seemed to be be open doors, walk in at your convenience.

Ditto on the occasions I've actually been shopping, have queued some times, have walked straight in others, and seen 15+ queuing on my way out.

Queue for dunes in blanch seems to be all around the lower level at present .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Queue for dunes in blanch seems to be all around the lower level at present .
    Same as yesterday.
    I waited 50 minutes to get into Dunnes, knew it was bad when I pulled into green car park & it was nearly full.
    Queue started at Glessons, up to M&S & then back again by Easons.

cython wrote: »
    I've seen similar with Tesco in Roselawn. Some days I've walked by at 7:30 in the morning and there's been queues around the car park, and the same time a day or two later seemed to be be open doors, walk in at your convenience

7-9am are elder hours in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Strolled into Aldi Kenmare yesterday with my gloves and mask on.

Plenty of stock and a lot of stuff for the freezer at half price, probably 15 -20 customers in total everyone giving plenty of time to each other at a safe distance.

Anytime someone went to a till where there was a person in front of them waiting they were asked to go to another till and another staff member would open it straight away.

Fantastic service.

There was a security man outside which I've never seen before and the poor man was bored out of his wisdom.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Kenmare, that well known part of Dublin 15 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Kenmare, that well known part of Dublin 15 :D

Dublin 15?

Never even heard of it, is it a nice place to live and rear a family?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Hope you are not in a holiday home in Kenmare and planning on leaving any time soon .

Advertisement