Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corona virus and marts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

20silkcut wrote: »
    I had an ape in the yard a few weeks ago quoting me €700 a head for 6 over age ,non QA , AAX and FRX bullocks. Told him “I’ll think about it”.
    Took them off to the mart the following week made between €900 to €1050. Heavy Bullocks 615 to 680kg. But very much O and P grade.

TBF as long as I have been at the finishing game which is 17 years now I can count on my hand the number of HE bullocks that graded O- I have never had a P most have graded O+ with an equal splattering of R's and O=. If those bullock were between 30- 36 months 4 weeks ago if factory fit and were as poor as you suggested were worth about 1150-1200 earo on average to slaughter.

Even at the quoted price of 3.4 at present they be worth 1050-1100 average. So marts did you no favours either.With heavy cattle you only get dealers into your yard. Lighter stock draw different customers

Wi

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭20silkcut

TBF as long as I have been at the finishing game which is 17 years now I can count on my hand the number of HE bullocks that graded O- I have never had a P most have graded O+ with an equal splattering of R's and O=. If those bullock were between 30- 36 months 4 weeks ago if factory fit and were as poor as you suggested were worth about 1150-1200 earo on average to slaughter.

Even at the quoted price of 3.4 at present they be worth 1050-1100 average. So marts did you no favours either.With heavy cattle you only get dealers into your yard. Lighter stock draw different customers

Wi

They were feb to mar 2017 born none of them were HE. It’s a brutal return but it’s my own fault should have got them away sooner. They were the last of a bunch of about 40 calves I reared since 2017. They were the bottom of that bunch. Were getting about 5kg of meal for the last 6 weeks before I sold them.

20silkcut wrote: »
    They were feb to mar 2017 born none of them were HE. It’s a brutal return but it’s my own fault should have got them away sooner. They were the last of a bunch of about 40 calves I reared since 2017. They were the bottom of that bunch. Were getting about 5kg of meal for the last 6 weeks before I sold them.

Sorry my mistake misread the post. In a way of gone over age I would have left back to grass until June/July cash in then. But they would have done better in the factory IMO. I always find it the few runts that ruin your profitability often better to let them grow into money.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Has anyone sold weanlings in the mart through this price/kilo method? If so, how did it go for ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Sold 8 weanlings the other day,6 heifers and 2 bulls by the weight through the mart,2.40 a kilo all through.
    Was happy enough,averaged 365kg mostly u grade stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

milligan2 wrote: »
    Sold 8 weanlings the other day,6 heifers and 2 bulls by the weight through the mart,2.40 a kilo all through.
    Was happy enough,averaged 365kg mostly u grade stock.
    I was watching some of the sale from Carnaross on Tuesday and prices were similar and some went to 2.70/kg.
    There is a bit of a video shown here - https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/pics-and-prices-how-does-the-online-auction-work-at-carnaross-mart/

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

It works well if you have an even bunch,buyer and mart manager called to the shed and rang with the offer,haggled a little and agreed the price,brought to the mart following morning and weighed.I would advise to have the animals weighed at home before the lads call as it gives the seller a bit of an advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Thanks for info. Was wondering how the buyer would view cattle before purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edward901

Anyone know when Dungarvan mart is opening.Are they going to install the equipment for viewing online?Their website hasn't been updated since 23rd of March.As far as I know there are only a handful of Marts around the country that have the webcams so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone know what was going on in Ballymahon mart that caused them to lose their licence to trade?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Anyone know what was going on in Ballymahon mart that caused them to lose their licence to trade?

Usually the biggest reason for any auctioneer/mart to lose there licience is that they do not have clients funds covered. This has to be in a separate account and has to cover any money for cattle sold. Some marts may try to use a trading account and have parts of the funds borrowed but unless they are transfered to a client account they are not protected in case of liquidation

Slava Ukrainii

No, it was nothing like that. It was to do with not adhering to the Covid 19 regulations in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

No, it was nothing like that. It was to do with not adhering to the Covid 19 regulations in some way.

From what I read somewhere they weren't adhering to social distancing rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭zetor 4911

Farmers would not follow instruction as issued by mart staff and proceeded to enter the yard where the cattle were by climbing gates. Department called in Garda and they cleared the yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

bought 7 heifers in carnaross tuesday night delighted with the system, never really bought cattle myself before so might do it more often , i was always intimadated by dealers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Bought four bullocks in Kilkenny today was trying to get 15-20 but there wasnt a whole pile of what we wanted on offer gave €1.80/kg for about 340kgs and i added on fifty cent to the total price as per advice i got yesterday, fairly well run and everyone had a bit of cop on too at the aame time. I loved the tender system the only drawback is not finding out till nearly 5 o clock whether yoube got them or not so its a two day affair between buying them and paying for them. Never bought much cattle before here and kike dickie said dealers can be intimidating at times, some class of a buyer/dealer approached me (to see what i had written down for the lots i was interested in i reckon) whinging about the new system etc and whsg i thought of it? I told him i loved it, he couldnt understand why so i told him if we were at the ring together hed run up a young lad like me and jd go over budget and at least now i can keep to a certain price ranfe and not worry about overbidding.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭kk.man

Bought four bullocks in Kilkenny today was trying to get 15-20 but there wasnt a whole pile of what we wanted on offer gave €1.80/kg for about 340kgs and i added on fifty cent to the total price as per advice i got yesterday, fairly well run and everyone had a bit of cop on too at the aame time. I loved the tender system the only drawback is not finding out till nearly 5 o clock whether yoube got them or not so its a two day affair between buying them and paying for them. Never bought much cattle before here and kike dickie said dealers can be intimidating at times, some class of a buyer/dealer approached me (to see what i had written down for the lots i was interested in i reckon) whinging about the new system etc and whsg i thought of it? I told him i loved it, he couldnt understand why so i told him if we were at the ring together hed run up a young lad like me and jd go over budget and at least now i can keep to a certain price ranfe and not worry about overbidding.

Plus 1 and I bet same dealers are going around giving out farmers are paying too much for cattle when in fact if you look at the sheets no one is going mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's discussion going on about reopening marts with limits on numbers depending on space availability for social distancing.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/talks-advancing-to-resume-mart-auction-system-541993

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭zetor 4911

Dickie10 wrote: »
    bought 7 heifers in carnaross tuesday night delighted with the system, never really bought cattle myself before so might do it more often , i was always intimadated by dealers

Did you view the stock before the sale started or did you depend on the ring camera. Suppose it depends on the internet quality.

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    Plus 1 and I bet same dealers are going around giving out farmers are paying too much for cattle when in fact if you look at the sheets no one is going mad.

Mainly lads were whinging about not getting any cattle the week before. Heard of a case where one lad wanted ten and got thirty as he had to put in for a few lots to covser his arse, im not sure what way that works could he take the ten and leave twentyand the mart rings the second highest bidder and asks them to match it then?

Better living everyone

Mainly lads were whinging about not getting any cattle the week before. Heard of a case where one lad wanted ten and got thirty as he had to put in for a few lots to covser his arse, im not sure what way that works could he take the ten and leave twentyand the mart rings the second highest bidder and asks them to match it then?

The answer is no. I've a handful left to source so I will only tender for the amount I want. If I'm lucky I am if not so be it. I have to watch my beam payment too.
    That would defeat the whole process if fellas pulled out.

The answer is no. I've a handful left to source so I will only tender for the amount I want. If I'm lucky I am if not so be it. I have to watch my beam payment too.
    That would defeat the whole process if fellas pulled out.

How do you find kilkenny for donedealing? Theres not a lot of livestock on it at the minute for kk and most calves look to be dealers. Picked up some nice heifers on it last night too all the same

Better living everyone

i depended on camera at carnaross and all the other info. sure my dealer brings cattle and i wouldnt see or know what he has before he brings them, but sometimes it suits me. hes a straight a dealer as i know and i trust him so thats why im a custumer. he knows what cattle i want and dosent bollox about, he gets his cut too of course but at the same time im glad i have a trusted cattle sourcer. brings back in calf heifers at the drop of a hat no problems.

How do you find kilkenny for donedealing? Theres not a lot of livestock on it at the minute for kk and most calves look to be dealers. Picked up some nice heifers on it last night too all the same

It's hit and miss. Yea the dealers are there for calves alright. For some reason they all come out of British friesan cows, suck a blue feeder and will make great suckers!

I don't buy calves but alot of dairy farmers are holding onto their dry stock because they have folder left over from last year and some need stock to graze what would be silage fields to cut back on contractor costs. There is an abundance of silage around.

It's hit and miss. Yea the dealers are there for calves alright. For some reason they all come out of British friesan cows, suck a blue feeder and will make great suckers!

I don't buy calves but alot of dairy farmers are holding onto their dry stock because they have folder left over from last year and some need stock to graze what would be silage fields to cut back on contractor costs. There is an abundance of silage around.

Have a mate i source calves off of up here cheap and cheerful nothing fancy at all i know the type of cow he has theres a jex influence in the herd but i know for a fact every calf is treated the exact same on that farm so im happy enough to take calves from there and pay what he asks for for them hes not out to screw beef men either as he says we need to make a turn on them or well not be back next year for any.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Looks like marts could reopen as soon as June 8th under phase 2 of the reopening.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1256296391611203586?s=19

Went in yesterday bid on 15 got none, bid €1.85-€1.90/kg no chance of getting them at that. A lot more lighter and plainer stock out with a full clearance and higher prices, cant remember if it was a quarter or a half the amount of stock for sale compared on the sald the same week last year.
    Cant find much cattle on Donedeal here either ATM, rang lad about calves last weekend he wasnt up for discussing on the phone and insisted i called to the yard (>20km away), still for sale and gas a different name on the ad now too i think.

Better living everyone

I posted this in the calf price chit chat thread earlier this evening but I should've posted it here. Anyway -

I was watching online calf sales over the last few weeks and surprised that there was no mention of the dam/mother's breeding on the sale information board.

I thought the reason that DAFM included the dam's breeding on the blue card (from Jan 2020) was to inform potential buyers. I would have thought that the marts should have included that information considering that some have adapted to online sales due to the pandemic.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/...-38886457.html
    And here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113331153&postcount=2017

Looks like marts could reopen as soon as June 8th under phase 2 of the reopening.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1256296391611203586?s=19
    I rarely buy in the marts but it looks like the marts that are offering online sales are doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Just looking at LSL thinking of get some heifers
    I think it’d be good if the cattle were weighed on entry
    It’d help when picking lots in advance

• Advertisement

Went in yesterday bid on 15 got none, bid €1.85-€1.90/kg no chance of getting them at that. A lot more lighter and plainer stock out with a full clearance and higher prices, cant remember if it was a quarter or a half the amount of stock for sale compared on the sald the same week last year.
    Cant find much cattle on Donedeal here either ATM, rang lad about calves last weekend he wasnt up for discussing on the phone and insisted i called to the yard (>20km away), still for sale and gas a different name on the ad now too i think.

Tullow?.. How u find the on-line bidding?

Stores are not back in price but should be given where fat market is. Very little stock around this spring makes you wounder where they are gone and what's the result of them not being marketed.

Stores are not back in price but should be given where fat market is. Very little stock around this spring makes you wounder where they are gone and what's the result of them not being marketed.

Why should stores be back in price, do the farmers who fed cows for a year and went through all the hassle of calving cows, keeping calves alive and feeding them over the winter not deserve a small profit for all their work. Have you any idea how much time, money and effort goes into producing these animals.
    As far as i see most stores are being sold for a loss. Top quality stores might be breaking even or leaving a small profit.
    Anyone who thinks stores are too dear should buy a batch of cows and produce their own, they'll not be long getting their eyes opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Why should stores be back in price, do the farmers who fed cows for a year and went through all the hassle of calving cows, keeping calves alive and feeding them over the winter not deserve a small profit for all their work. Have you any idea how much time, money and effort goes into producing these animals.
    As far as i see most stores are being sold for a loss. Top quality stores might be breaking even or leaving a small profit.
    Anyone who thinks stores are too dear should buy a batch of cows and produce their own, they'll not be long getting their eyes opened.

He's not saying you should be producing at a loss. But in terms of what finishers are getting in the factory stores are too dear.
    Saying that he should try calving them and see what he has out of them is fair enough and I'd agree...but I suggest you try doing the maths on what it cost to finish them stores....

Robson99 wrote: »
    He's not saying you should be producing at a loss. But in terms of what finishers are getting in the factory stores are too dear.
    Saying that he should try calving them and see what he has out of them is fair enough and I'd agree...but I suggest you try doing the maths on what it cost to finish them stores....

That's exactly what he said. He said that stores should be cheaper than they are at the moment. This would guarantee that they are being produced at a loss.

Store producers aren't responsible for the shyte prices being offered by the horse barons. I know it costs a lot of money to finish cattle, i've done it a bit here in the past and i know what you mean but the price of stores isn't the problem.

That's exactly what he said. He said that stores should be cheaper than they are at the moment. This would guarantee that they are being produced at a loss.

Store producers aren't responsible for the shyte prices being offered by the horse barons. I know it costs a lot of money to finish cattle, i've done it a bit here in the past and i know what you mean but the price of stores isn't the problem.

Never said stores were the problem in the beef system. When beef is at 3.40 then its only natural to comment on the store price.

I have no intention of calving cows either.

Kilkenny, internets gone slow im a day late here. Prices definitly up on last week, and they said the exact same as yourself on KCLR about the store trade.

Better living everyone

stores are too dear some are crazy for prices in factory.

stores are too dear some are crazy for prices in factory.

While you are right in one way the problem is the factory price and has been for the last two years.

Slava Ukrainii

at least the emarald isle beef producers are begining to get underway with shipping their own live cattle now. a load went to Algeria last week should provide some competition for the factorys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

From what I am hearing the factory agents are not happy with the online marts, they are buying a lot of the cattle on them but aren't happy that they have to bid against other people to buy them. It interesting that they can give a good price for them in the marts when they are pushed but are so slow to lift the factory price. One factory is meant to have bought 37 factory bullocks in a mart last week and not 1 of them was under €2.10/kg and there was a few fancy ones at over €2.5/kg live. They were buying anything with cover on it it, age, movements and quality assurance didn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭degetme

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    From what I am hearing the factory agents are not happy with the online marts, they are buying a lot of the cattle on them but aren't happy that they have to bid against other people to buy them. It interesting that they can give a good price for them in the marts when they are pushed but are so slow to lift the factory price. One factory is meant to have bought 37 factory bullocks in a mart last week and not 1 of them was under €2.10/kg and there was a few fancy ones at over €2.5/kg live. They were buying anything with cover on it it, age, movements and quality assurance didn't matter.

Iv a lorry load of fresian fat cull cows to go. I was holding on to them because price was on the floor and still is. Would you reckon the factory would pay more the fat cows in the mart

degetme wrote: »
    Iv a lorry load of fresian fat cull cows to go. I was holding on to them because price was on the floor and still is. Would you reckon the factory would pay more the fat cows in the mart

I heard last night that the local factory is offering €3.10/kg for R grade cows this week, that's well up on a few weeks ago and the trade for cows in marts is well improved now also.
    If i had cows to sell i'd have a look in the local marts before i'd bring them to the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

yes no problem for the factory agents to pay up around the ring if only the marts were open

Carnaross mart has been running online sales four days a week for a while now, it seems to be working really well from what i've heard.

Ballyjamesduff and Cootehill marts are starting online sales this week also.

Carnaross mart has been running online sales four days a week for a while now, it seems to be working really well from what i've heard.

Ballyjamesduff and Cootehill marts are starting online sales this week also.
    Carrigallen started online last week. I’m watching the calf sale now and they are expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

at least the emarald isle beef producers are begining to get underway with shipping their own live cattle now. a load went to Algeria last week should provide some competition for the factorys.

Maybe not, only 10000 exported yet this year

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/beef-trade/live-export-shipment-of-cattle-to-algeria-postponed-39196533.html?iobnwe&fbclid=IwAR1v-pDi5QTPqxpU7c1aMRsXhNBTx1vDyIOe05WRSvF0COlD6HmOc-BCEtM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Lad over the road got €3.10 flat for a load of cows last week to Kepak, mix of P's & O's, good cows enough he averaged just over €1,100 a cow. I would defiantly have a look at what trade is like in your nearest on line mart if I was you. Friend of mine had a young cow (CHx) he was going to see asked me her value, I told him somewhere between €900 - €950, guessing around 500 kgs. He said I was mad and the factory only given €2.80, thought he would be lucky to get €800. Sent here to Carnaross last Thursday 500 kgs €960.

wrangler wrote: »

The exporter trying to get cattle to Algeria is having a problem completing the veterinary procedures required before exporting the latest batch as the pour-on being used wasn't done before yesterday so the animals won't have completed their withdrawl period before being unloaded in Algeria.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/algeria-export-cattle-boat-now-in-doubt-545309

Some fup up there by the exporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Sold some weanlings recently with an online mart - delighted with the experience (and monies :D)

I dropped off the livestock, headed home and I was then free for the day to do other jobs, I could log into the mart to see how the sale was proceeding and when my lot numbers were close to coming up and view sale.

Hopefully, the online marts will continue.

• Advertisement

The exporter trying to get cattle to Algeria is having a problem completing the veterinary procedures required before exporting the latest batch as the pour-on being used wasn't done before yesterday so the animals won't have completed their withdrawl period before being unloaded in Algeria.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/algeria-export-cattle-boat-now-in-doubt-545309

Some fup up there by the exporters.
    The shipment is back on - https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/cattle-shipment-to-algeria-back-on-track-as-issues-resolved/

Advertisement