Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N95 masks - where to buy ?

Options
  • 09-03-2020 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I'm struggling trying to find N95 masks to buy (Dublin)
    Any recommendations ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why do you want one? A mask is of practical value if you have the virus, not if you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KonXOne

Why do you want one? A mask is of practical value if you have the virus, not if you don't

I thought N95 masks are protective against contracting.
    Do you have a proof backing up your claim ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Because they are not appropriate for long term use due to restricted airways which means harder breathing and sweat and general lack of comfort. You'll rip it off before it's been much practical use.
    The medical profession would make much better use of the mask/s you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

N95 is the US designation, the closest European equivalent would be FFP2 or FFP3.

KonXOne wrote: »
    I thought N95 masks are protective against contracting.
    Do you have a proof backing up your claim ?
    Be a good citizen and buy some hand-sanitizer. If someone coughs in your face just wash your hands and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If someone coughs in your face just wash your hands and you'll be fine.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭timmyntc

That's just spin to stop people panic buying masks and creating shortages for those who *really* need them, such as healthcare workers.
    If they weren't effective, why would doctors and nurses wear them on the front lines?

OP if you do go get an N95 or other respirator, make sure to wear protective eyewear also. Virus particles can infect via the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Unless you go through the full fit test for the N95 mask then you might as well just hold a hanky to your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Woodies have them, but they’re not on display to prevent bulk buying. You’ll have to ask them for them.

Be a good citizen and buy some hand-sanitizer. If someone coughs in your face just wash your hands and you'll be fine.

Yea i'm also struggling trying to buy those
    everything is sold out everywhere.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    :confused:

obvious sarcasm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Also if you want a seller, this crowd is good for PPE.

https://www.advancedsafety.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm giving away free disinfectant soaked rags to any good looking young wans who are worried about catching the virus

It's well known that chloroform is the most effective disinfectant against coronaviruses

* only a joke. keep your collective knickers on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

stoneill wrote: »
    Unless you go through the full fit test for the N95 mask then you might as well just hold a hanky to your face.
    This. They're of some benefit, but a limited one and don't work for long. If you have a proper mask that actually fits and filters down to sufficient levels they are very hard to breathe in for obvious, or should be obvious reasons.
    timmyntc wrote:
    If they weren't effective, why would doctors and nurses wear them on the front lines?
    They don't. Or at least they don't if dealing with a highly infectious pathogen. In those cases they wear proper masks with replaceable filters, goggles and face protection, not some disposable paper yoke, unless in a dire emergency. In surgical settings the masks they use are much more to protect the patient rather than the doctor. If you already have an infection they mitigate the spread of snotters to others.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But hey, if you don't believe me, maybe have a read of some actual science. Link here

Question Is the use of N95 respirators or medical masks more effective in preventing influenza infection among outpatient health care personnel in close contact with patients with suspected respiratory illness?

Findings In this pragmatic, cluster randomized clinical trial involving 2862 health care personnel, there was no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza among health care personnel with the use of N95 respirators (8.2%) vs medical masks (7.2%)

So if you're hellbent on paper masks, rather than actual respirators pretty much any will do

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is a forum for discussion of Current Affairs. Coronavirus is being discussed elsewhere in the forum. If anyone can find a ready supply of relevant safety/protective gear drop me a PM and I can update the Coronavirus resource sticky

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement