Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting Room - 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭dublin2000A

Don't do this. They'll shine a light into your eyes to check that they dilate etc properly. A contact lens is incredibly obvious when they do this. Not saying it hasn't worked in the past, but if it has, the MO on the day was either incompetent or willfully allowing people to pass by cheating. I had to get the surgery-ye it sucks and its expensive. But would you rather be:

A-Barred from applying again because you cheated and got caught?

B-Get away with it, and on the job, have a lens knocked out and be a liability to yourself and your team, and maybe get someone seriously hurt?

I agree with OConnm43! Don’t even think of trying to fool these lads, they’re doctors not idiots ! If you need glasses get glasses you can always get surgery later if you don’t have the time or cash

Also they don’t use charts anymore, the doctor has a little gizmo on his desk that you look into (like a pair of metal goggles) and it simulates text at a distance and checks your color blindness (whatever the technical term for that is), no harm checking yourself with a chart but that’s not how they’ll do it on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Not gonna get into it too much because I don't wanna waste time arguing like people above, but it works. Has worked for many people before and will continue to do so. If you're stuck for money and contacts corrects your vision then tbh, laser eye surgergy is a feckin unnecessarily expensive procedure.
    Eye test is not like described above anyway so I don't even know what they're talking about. Read through previous posts in this forum to see what it's really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Whatyagonnnado

I did my medical in February. Never shone a light in my eye. But did have the archaic eye test machine that you look into and read letters (black text on white background). I was a little nervous about the eye test. Had laser about 10 years ago but recently started wearing glasses again last year. He told me I don't need glasses at all (which is a load of rubbish) so went better than i expected.

Might be best moving this thread to the Stage 4 section :-)

Not gonna get into it too much because I don't wanna waste time arguing like people above, but it works. Has worked for many people before and will continue to do so. If you're stuck for money and contacts corrects your vision then tbh, laser eye surgergy is a feckin unnecessarily expensive procedure.
    Eye test is not like described above anyway so I don't even know what they're talking about. Read through previous posts in this forum to see what it's really like.

Im not trying to start an arguement either, if people are getting through with contacts in maybe there is no issue with having contacts.

As for the test, I did my urine test, then was the hearing test along with BMI and blood pressure by the nurse, after that i went into the Doctor and he went through breathing, joints and medical history, after that he directed me to a small metal thing on his desk, I was asked to lean forward and look into it and displayed inside were your standard eyesight charts (lines of letters getting smaller and smaller) then came hidden numbers in coloured circles designed the check for colour blindness, he then pulled out a small flip chart of more colour blindeness charts.

The whole thing with the doctor only took about 10 minuetes, (Nurse was about 15 mins cause the hearing test takes a bit to set up)

Maybe some people have had different experiences as there are about 4 doctors on the go at any one time (some seeing applicants and some seeing injured guards who need their leval of recovery checked)

Has anyone else had the same experience? The yoke on his desk threw me because I was expecting a chart on the wall but it does the same thing essentially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

contacts won't stop your eyes dilating, and as stated , loads of people have gotten away with contacts, in saying that , laser is a life changer if you have bad eyesight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Larpeyton

I need to get my eyes lasered was suppose to get them done on the 2nd of April but it was cancelled due to the virus. Don’t know what’s going to happen now and I have everything passed since February

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dave3345

I had laser eye surgery this year and passed the medical because I got it done. It is life changing. If you outside the required standard and serious about a career you should get it done. It’s that standard for a reason. The money it is expensive but you will get 20% off of you have Health insurance and also you get 20% tax back.I don’t think it’s something people should try pull a fast one on if it’s a career you are serious for !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rboa98s165xzh3

If people have been getting away with it then lucky them. I didn't mean contacts would stop your eyes dilating, but if someone actually looks into your eyes contacts are very obvious if you have any experience with them. So, risk it if you want, its only your career on the line.

On the other side, I had to get laser because my eyes were below standard without correction. Honestly, I would be very wary of being on a job with someone who didn't meet the standard. Contacts get knocked out or moved all the time, especially in a violent situation. The standard is set at a level where if your correction (contact,glasses etc) is knocked off, you're still able to see well enough to do your job.

As someone who didn't meet the standard naturally, I've no doubt that if my contacts got knocked out, I would be a liability to myself and my team. If someone is going into this line of work comfortable with being a liability to themselves and their colleagues, this is the wrong line of work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Larpeyton

Dave3345 wrote: »
    I had laser eye surgery this year and passed the medical because I got it done. It is life changing. If you outside the required standard and serious about a career you should get it done. It’s that standard for a reason. The money it is expensive but you will get 20% off of you have Health insurance and also you get 20% tax back.I don’t think it’s something people should try pull a fast one on if it’s a career you are serious for !!

I have no problem about getting it done just that I was given 6 months to get it done but because of the virus obviously I couldn’t so I’m wondering will my defferal start where it left off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dent67

So I emailed HR and vetting still been done said it was lengthy process and it goes through big detail but I asked about meeting the super I had met the Sargent before my medical and they suggested that ring the station and I did and I have a meeting tomorrow, what I’m getting at is , anyone here done everything and maybe like me have to meet either or in their district maybe ring the station as more than likely the paperwork was there and be sitting there for a while before anyone notices don’t want to slow down the vetting any more than it needs to be, so maybe have a ring and check it out? I know there was one or two here had done everything and yet to meet someone from the station. Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Does anyone else check their emails first thing on a Friday morning for anything from HR?

I've been told that offers only go out on a Friday but I've also heard of people getting emails on other random days,

Im not expecting an email tomorrow with everything going on but has anyone recieved and offer of placement on any other day? or is it only on a Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Does anyone else check their emails first thing on a Friday morning for anything from HR?

I've been told that offers only go out on a Friday but I've also heard of people getting emails on other random days,

Im not expecting an email tomorrow with everything going on but has anyone recieved and offer of placement on any other day? or is it only on a Friday
    From what I have read over the last year is that, for the first 3 maybe 4 weeks offers seem to go out on a Friday afternoon but then as it gets closer to the start date they send offers out on any day. That's just how I have seen it.
    I don't check my emails that often but I'm always checking the Garda recruitment on here, the wait is killing me, I've everything complete since January, except for vetting of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

From what I have read over the last year is that, for the first 3 maybe 4 weeks offers seem to go out on a Friday afternoon but then as it gets closer to the start date they send offers out on any day. That's just how I have seen it.
    I don't check my emails that often but I'm always checking the Garda recruitment on here, the wait is killing me, I've everything complete since January, except for vetting of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

I wonder does templemore fall under the September/October category for reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jackhynes99

I advise that you go for a cadetship. General enlistment is poor pay and you do a lot of duties. As a private your the bottom of the rank structure and get treated like crap. Sometimes when your in the barracks staring at the four walls they have you doing menial tasks such as sweeping up leaves and picking up weeds . Thats just some of the negatives. Its a good job in bad times like recessions and what we are going through now but a bad job in good times.There are a few advantages aswell like going overseas getting to make lifelong friends some of the courses etc but i feel the negatives outweigh the pros. And that's from a serving member.

Hi stretch,

I enlisted for the cadetship recruitment. What are the conditions like? Are you a pilot? If so fxed or rotary wing?

I know that once training is completed you join the officer ranks as lietenant or second lieutenant and pay is good but how long does it take to finish flight training and become an officer?

Thanks man

Jack

I emailed HR today for an update on my application, within 30 seconds I had a generic reply (“your application is still in the vetting process we have no more information at this time”)

Is anyone getting any other information whatsoever via phone or email?

I know they’re busy, I know they’re getting annoyed with people calling and emailing but I can’t continue to let my application continue to gather dust on a desk since 2018

I’m aware the college is closed etc and no new dates of intakes is set for the moment.

I’ve had mixed response to “just leave them alone” to “keep at them till you get an answer” from Guards who went through similar situations (aside from covid19)

Thoughts??

I emailed HR today for an update on my application, within 30 seconds I had a generic reply (“your application is still in the vetting process we have no more information at this time”)

I know they’re busy, I know they’re getting annoyed with people calling and emailing but I can’t continue to let my application continue to gather dust on a desk since 2018

I’m aware the college is closed etc and no new dates of intakes is set for the moment.

I’ve had mixed response to “just leave them alone” to “keep at them till you get an answer” from Guards who went through similar situations (aside from covid19)

Thoughts??

if your waiting since 2018 , like if your form b was submitted in 2018, then there is something else going on, any previous trouble with the guards ? or may I ask your age ? if people are older they tend to "forget" about them

• Registered Users Posts: 37 deenam

Thoughts??

Not sure if it’s any help, but I emailed them Tuesday gone to see if I could get an update on my vetting and they replied 20 mins later saying my application was undergoing final checks

Thoughts??

I rang them this morning and was told my vetting was complete and signed off but would be undergoing final checks. I asked the man does that mean I should expect an offer and he said he couldn't say when there would be a future intake and that it would depend on my order of merit and the numbers required. I was just glad to hear my vetting had come back without delay. I lived in the uk for 2 years and I have aunts and uncles in different parts of the uk. I'm from the 2019 campaign and my form b got submitted the last week of december.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangahead16

What email address did you send to
    hrpd.gardatrainee.info@garda.ie ???
    I got a similar response last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 deenam

What email address did you send to
    hrpd.gardatrainee.info@garda.ie ???
    I got a similar response last week

I used appointments@garda.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Stretch1432

St. Westy wrote: »
    if your waiting since 2018 , like if your form b was submitted in 2018, then there is something else going on, any previous trouble with the guards ? or may I ask your age ? if people are older they tend to "forget" about them

What would older be ?

I rang them this morning and was told my vetting was complete and signed off but would be undergoing final checks. I asked the man does that mean I should expect an offer and he said he couldn't say when there would be a future intake and that it would depend on my order of merit and the numbers required. I was just glad to hear my vetting had come back without delay. I lived in the uk for 2 years and I have aunts and uncles in different parts of the uk. I'm from the 2019 campaign and my form b got submitted the last week of december.

My vetting has been in 'final checks' for over a year now. I'm genuinely not trying to be a dick by saying that but thats usually the answer i get over the phone, they seem to be very cautious what they say on email.

I've lived a a few countries which is why I think my vetting is taking so long .

im not for a second trying to piss on your parade but 'final checks' for me was over a year ago and thats still where I am from 2018

I used hrpd.gardatrainee.info@garda.ie
    But I might try that one too
    Probably same department

What would older be ?

34-35-36, near the age limit iv heard but sure that's just speculation, its just a common theme among the older candidates

hmm im 32 going 33 im getting auld haha

hmm im 32 going 33 im getting auld haha

ah your no that old ha are you from 2019 or 18

Im 18 bud. I got everything done later though , did my medical September 19

My vetting has been in 'final checks' for over a year now. I'm genuinely not trying to be a dick by saying that but thats usually the answer i get over the phone, they seem to be very cautious what they say on email.

I've lived a a few countries which is why I think my vetting is taking so long .

im not for a second trying to piss on your parade but 'final checks' for me was over a year ago and thats still where I am from 2018

That's poor form now. All we can do is keep the faith. I'm 34 this year so that isnt going to help things either

• Advertisement

Response I got this morning

Your file is still undergoing our vetting process. The vetting process is multi-tiered and thorough for each applicant and each file is vetted on an individual basis. We do not advise making contact with a Sergeant/Superintendent.

Advertisement