Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting Room - 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Triplek wrote: »
    I've asked this question to someone else but just in regards to others situations can someone explain what's the difference between vetting outstanding and vetting on-going? If there is any.

as far as iv read on here they mean the same thing, that its incomplete

am i right in thinking that hearing nothing from hr is a good thing, as in, iv sent my form b off and heard nothing back, dont they only contact you if something is wrong with it? like they dont send a email to acknowledge they received it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

Tmac35 wrote: »
    That’s good to hear, I keep getting the same response from them myself, campaign 2018, vetting ongoing a year in July. Fed up waiting. I’ve never lived abroad, all family living here.

I genuinely think they're generic responses - like run of the mill response once they realise you're looking for an update on your application. I sent my usual email last time and added on a question about how long your medical/PCT stays valid for - I got back the usual answer and my questions were ignored until I asked for further clarification on the issues

(IE: if you've passed the PCT, you will not be required to undergo a second one before your training begins. If you have passed the medical, then it remains valid for 18 months, thereafter you need to get a clearance cert signed by your GP to state there has been no change in your medical history in the interim.)
    Have you guys any tips on training for the pct you failed it first time around then no bother the next. Any tips on how to be well prepared and what type of training you can pm me if that suits

I would definitely advise you to practice the beep test - it's as much of a mental stumbling block as it is a physical one. I absolutely despise it, it's been the bane of my existence for the past three years.

There's a few apps on the store that you can download - the one I use is Beep Test, a green background with a white silhouette of a person running - you can set it to 15m or 20m. Find a place where you can measure out 20m (for me it's my mam and dad's tarmac) and mark down your start and end with chalk and keep at it.

Also focus on speed for the obstacle course (sprint, zig-zag between cones, walk along a beam, lift a car tyre from one spot to the other, under a bar, over a metre wide mat, drag a 45kg dummy from one point to another, up some stairs, down the stairs, over a farm gate and another sprint) - the fast you get it done, the less force you have to product on the push/pull machine.

I absolutely hauled ass through it - you go straight into the push/pull, but if you need a breather, bend down and tighten your laces. The push/pull - easiest way I can explain it is to pretend your pushing your car: that comes from your legs, right? You wouldn't push a car with just your upper body strength. And don't be afraid to hang out of it - I barely tickle the underside of 5'3", they won't even give me the 3" in the medical. I was hanging out of the push/pull, so much so that I nearly smacked myself on one of the backstrokes, but hang on tight and give it welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Spitfire2019

unfortunately I have not been called for my fitness test yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rboa98s165xzh3

Got clearance from occupational health yesterday after Lasek. So it looks like they've got the doctors back in-house and might be moving things along again.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

Got clearance from occupational health yesterday after Lasek. So it looks like they've got the doctors back in-house and might be moving things along again.

I got this last Friday, ðŸ˜႒
    Then Monday was told my file was undergoing final checks.
    Hopefully hear soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Aaron123

Was thinking of emailing about my vetting today to see if it is nearly processed, i was only onto them last week though asking the same question, how often is everyone contacting hr with queries about vetting? I dont want to be wrecking their head. Sent my form B in November/December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭dublin2000A

Aaron123 wrote: »
    Was thinking of emailing about my vetting today to see if it is nearly processed, i was only onto them last week though asking the same question, how often is everyone contacting hr with queries about vetting? I dont want to be wrecking their head. Sent my form B in November/December

I left HR alone for about 3 months now so I’ve started back up emailing them since offers started going out again.

I sent one email last week and got a generated response and sent two emails this week and got pretty much the same automated response.

I have no doubt they’re getting pissed off with the emails but at the same time I have nothing to loose by staying in contact. I’m part of 2018 campaign so I’m a long time waiting at this stage and my employer is being very good to me keeping me on knowing I’m eventually leaving, I simply need some sort of answer be it good or bad to go on from AGS

Instead of just asking about my application I’ve started asking more ‘open’ questions hoping for a better response (what does final checks mean? - are there many applicants from 2017 still waiting for vetting- is there any way I can speed up the application- are there many intakes planned for the rest of 2020?)) , the responses are still the same but hopefully a heart string is tugged on in HR and an actual human will respond with something reassuring

We all seem to be getting the same response but if anyone gets any other information it would be great to hear.

Friday tomorrow, let’s hope an email is coming our way

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Alana123

Is it still a thing that you get paid more as a Garda when you’ve a degree!??

Alana123 wrote: »
    Is it still a thing that you get paid more as a Garda when you’ve a degree!??

Short answer is No, you will be on the same pay scale (rising in increments) for at least the first 3 years with the rest of your colleagues. After the 3 years you can apply to different units.

A degree depending on what it’s in will help you if and when you apply to rise up trough the ranks (sergeant- Inspector etc) .

Interviews for these positions will take into account a relevant degree which may put you as the most promising candidate for the position you’re applying for.

Guards who have three years service are entitled to take leave and go back to college and obtain education For up to two years on a reduced salary, most do studies in law, criminology or some behavioural science application.

I’ll find the exact oireachtas report where I got this information and send it one

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

Short answer is No, you will be on the same pay scale (rising in increments) for at least the first 3 years with the rest of your colleagues. After the 3 years you can apply to different units.

A degree depending on what it’s in will help you if and when you apply to rise up trough the ranks (sergeant- Inspector etc) .

Interviews for these positions will take into account a relevant degree which may put you as the most promising candidate for the position you’re applying for.

Guards who have three years service are entitled to take leave and go back to college and obtain education For up to two years on a reduced salary, most do studies in law, criminology or some behavioural science application.

I’ll find the exact oireachtas report where I got this information and send it one

I’m pretty sure after probation you move up 3 points on the pay scale if you have a degree?

• Advertisement

I’m pretty sure after probation you move up 3 points on the pay scale if you have a degree?

I may be wrong but respectfully I don't think I am.

I have a family and rent privately so Ive done a lot of homework into what my basic earnings will be as well as potential overtime/ unsociable hours earnings to make sure I can support my family financially as a member of AGS

I have a degree in business management and will happily welcome any boost in pay offered for a degree, I'd genuinely love to be wrong in what I've said and any info on this would be great

I have a family and rent privately so Ive done a lot of homework into what my basic earnings will be as well as potential overtime/ unsociable hours earnings to make sure I can support my family financially as a member of AGS

I have a degree in business management and will happily welcome any boost in pay offered for a degree, I'd genuinely love to be wrong in what I've said and any info on this would be great

I have also read/heard that as a degree holder you jump the pay scale.

(F Code 13.10)(ii) Three additional increments in respect of a Diploma or Degree from a third-level educational institution. The Degree/Diploma must be full time, of two/four year duration, and be awarded by a third level institution recognised by the H.E.T.A.C., or recognised Irish statutory authority
    On successful completion of two years service, members may apply through the channels for these increments to Assistant Commissioner Human Resource Management.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Whatyagonnnado

Yep, you jump 3 pay scales after your probationary period.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 deniseecath

No one knows what way it will work at the minute to be honest. Even the instructors out operational haven't a notion. Everything is up in the air and all rumours until an official channel states any news. Guards love to gossip and rumours run rampant. Nothing is set in stone for anyone's training yet, it'll all depend on how the easing of restrictions goes.

(F Code 13.10)(ii) Three additional increments in respect of a Diploma or Degree from a third-level educational institution. The Degree/Diploma must be full time, of two/four year duration, and be awarded by a third level institution recognised by the H.E.T.A.C., or recognised Irish statutory authority
    On successful completion of two years service, members may apply through the channels for these increments to Assistant Commissioner Human Resource Management.

I am more than happy to put my hands up and say I was wrong

Information like this is fantastic and would help us all. I do my best to get facts from Garda friends and government pages but only too happy to be proven wrong in this

I am more than happy to put my hands up and say I was wrong

Information like this is fantastic and would help us all. I do my best to get facts from Garda friends and government pages but only too happy to be proven wrong in this

You’re grand, If you have a degree you should apply for it though?

Ya, taking that with a pinch of salt.
    Denise has hit the nail on the head with rumours are rife. Time will tell. The country is in a much better place than 2008 and have access to very good borrowing rates.
    HR are still putting form Bs through and meetings with supers and sergeants are being organised. They informed me this week my application has been approved by the commissioner's office. Why do all of this if they're not planning for further recruitment?
    cgall24 wrote: »
    Re: the payment going up for when you’ve a degree, that is true after the probation period you skip a step on the ladder basically and go above someone who has no degree.
    My partner was one of the 193s who got attested back in March, 14 weeks early.
    From what he has heard and the info he has gotten from templemore since leaving is the intake going in now soon will be the last one for a while. There’s a major recession on the horizon and with all these new guards already they can’t afford anymore. That’s just what he has been told. And also they have a lot of assignments and their exams to complete in August or September so they’ve to go back for 3 weeks. And then there’s the intake who got attested after only 4 weeks.... they’re getting priority to go back to complete their remaining 28 weeks so don’t be getting the hopes up too much is all I’m saying.
    And regarding the new intake going on getting full pay when out in the station.... unless you get officially attested by the commissioner you’ll be on the training wage still and apparently word in the force is that’s what’ll be happening. Again it’s coming down to funds and they don’t have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dent67

cgall24 wrote: »
    Just passing on what I’ve been told. Saying guards love to gossip is hardly hitting the nail on the head. Some of the lecturers from the college are in my partners station so what he’s being told and what the college have emailed him is hardly bloody gossiping. My partner was waiting 2 years to get his offer so I know the frustration of the waiting game but enjoy it and I hope the offer comes in soon.

Are you waiting on an intake yourself? Everyone here is trying to remain hopeful after everything we have been through getting through the stages, exactly what has been said above why put through all the meeting in the stations? What waiting for a “recession” to pass. From another thread there is no 2020Recruitment but seems to be pushing on with 2019 and what ever other years are waiting. Look nobody knows what’s going on at the end of the day , I would say they are taking it day by day, and they have to see how this all pans out.

You’re grand, If you have a degree you should apply for it though?

I absolutely will, just have to wait for my vetting to be finalised :)

• Advertisement

Cgall24 Deletes post, sets up an acc to post that and deletes! Nobody is going to rain on our parade we are going to templemore at some stage! :)

Dent67 wrote: »
    Cgall24 Deletes post, sets up an acc to post that and deletes! Nobody is going to rain on our parade we are going to templemore at some stage! :)

I really hope we get called

St.Brigids wrote: »
    I really hope we get called

I know it’s a long wait, hopefully now we all get, just have to remain positive, and not to take everything as gospel what’s “apparently” going to happen in the future but we are smarter than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

Did the usual Friday routine - sent HRM an email at 09:10 to ask for an update about my application. Got an email back at 09:12 with the generic Your file is still undergoing our vetting process. The vetting process is multi-tiered and... fair juice to whoever managed to open the email, check an ID number on the system and email back in less than two mins, reckon my boss would love for me to be that efficient :/

Ah well - head up and we'll try again next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tmac35

In the same boat as you, sent email there aswell, I know what the reply will be but I’m gonna keep pestering them, 2 years on this journey......

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stevencallan

Tmac35 wrote: »
    In the same boat as you, sent email there aswell, I know what the reply will be but I’m gonna keep pestering them, 2 years on this journey......

Got the same email message this morning must be copy and paste job

Is final checks and vetting ongoing different?

Yep, final checks means it is waiting sign off with the commissioner and vetting is back.
    St.Brigids wrote: »
    Is final checks and vetting ongoing different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

i emailed yesterday to see what the story was with pcts and got this back

'Dear Applicant,

You file now starting undergoing our vetting process, the vetting process is multi-tiered and thorough for each applicant and each file is vetted on an individual basis. Your PCT and medical are also outstanding on your file. Unfortunately we do not currently have any update in regard when the PCT`s will start again In the college.

We will be in touch with you in due course.'

first off, its shocking English, if we emailed that level of English we would probably be disqualified :pac::pac: but the fact they answered my question seems to suggest they read them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 papster97

Anyone expecting offers to go out today?

Advertisement