Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

They are all courses that ignored the initial directive to close. Some have closed since.

So which is it? (Your Roll of Shame)

Clubs that are still open or not?

Also you don't seem to be too sure of your facts so probably not too wise to be posting names of clubs online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Slimity wrote: »
    So which is it? (Your Roll of Shame)

Clubs that are still open or not?

Also you don't seem to be too sure of your facts so probably not too wise to be posting names of clubs online.
    It is a list of clubs that initially ignored the directive. It is very clear.
    The fact that some have closed since doesn't change the fact that the initially ignored the directive.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

It is a list of clubs that initially ignored the directive. It is very clear.
    The fact that some have closed since doesn't change the fact that the initially ignored the directive.

It isn't very clear and only became a "list of clubs that initially ignored the directive" when you were corrected and told otherwise on 2 out of your 7 "Roll Of Shame and Boycott Club" list.

I'd question the veracity of everything you say from now on to be honest.

Anyway, good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Roganstown and swords open both wedged this afternoon when I drove past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭redarmy

The Roll of Shame

1 Roganstown
    2 Swords Open
    3 European Club
    4 Glasson
    5 K Club
    6 Druid's Glen
    7 Arklow (members only)

Any more to add to the boycott list?
    k club closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

They are all courses that ignored the initial directive to close. Some have closed since.

Save some face and remove your list as its factually incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭enricoh

The Roll of Shame

1 Roganstown
    2 Swords Open
    3 European Club
    4 Glasson
    5 K Club
    6 Druid's Glen
    7 Arklow (members only)

Any one of them open in the morning should have a revenue audit Monday morning, a health and safety audit Tuesday and hsa food inspector s in Wednesday! The Penny might drop after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Any club staying open should also loose its GUI status

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

The Roll of Shame

1 Roganstown
    2 Swords Open
    3 European Club
    4 Glasson
    5 K Club
    6 Druid's Glen
    7 Arklow (members only)

Wouldn't boycott any of them as I've played them all but my list would be different
    1 European Club..by far the best
    2 Druids Glen..in it's pomp some course
    3 Arklow..very underrated course
    4 K Club..a bit overrated but a beast
    5 Glasson.. Very enjoyable
    6 Roganstown..Played only once
    7 Swords open..Nice course to play

No shame in playing any of these courses..what way would all of you rate them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

GolfNut33 wrote: »

It is factually correct. It is a list of clubs that chose initially to ignore the directive. Some clubs have had second thoughts since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Seve OB wrote: »
    Any club staying open should also loose its GUI status

Now now Seve, stop preaching...up to Tues you and many of us were really looking forward to playing The Curragh and if Leo didn't throw golf courses under the bus with general sports, you, me and 37 or so others would be pulling into the carpark on Saturday morning saying"No problem playing golf" it's no more risky today than it was last Tuesday...Now calm down and we'll chat over a pint or 2 when this passes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I still go work as its deemed essential (supply chain)

Probably a 100 people on site each day over 2 shifts.

Id feel a hell of a lot safer on a golf course in a 4 ball with the current safety measures in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Now now Seve, stop preaching...up to Tues you and many of us were really looking forward to playing The Curragh and if Leo didn't throw golf courses under the bus with general sports, you, me and 37 or so others would be pulling into the carpark on Saturday morning saying"No problem playing golf" it's no more risky today than it was last Tuesday...Now calm down and we'll chat over a pint or 2 when this passes

It's probably not all that risky for you, individually, as a player.

It *is* risky for all the staff who have to go to work in the club so you can enjoy your game, and everyone they then subsequently come in contact with, including vulnerable members of their own families.

Seriously, what do you not get about that?! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Actual sources need to be linked to backup any claims of clubs who are remaining open.

Let’s also keep it civil in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I still go work as its deemed essential (supply chain)

Probably a 100 people on site each day over 2 shifts.

Id feel a hell of a lot safer on a golf course in a 4 ball with the current safety measures in place.

1. You're at risk at work.
    2. The golf course may be a less risky place but that's no reason to keep it open.

If you isolate outside of work, you'll only pass it on to your family. If you're playing golf at the weekend then there's an increased chance you pass it on and the multiplier effect kicks in.

People are really slow to grasp the notion that it's about limiting as many touchpoints as possible. Not because this thing might magically disappear... but rather because of health system is even less prepared / has less capacity per capita than the likes of Italy or Spain.

They're not closing things of the basis of risk, they're closing things on the basis that they're essential/non-essential. The Government has done ok so far but they should have probably acted sooner on closing non-essential workplaces, limiting essential shops to X people at a time and closing walking areas etc that are in heavy use etc.

We're still in the very early stages. It might take a week or so and deaths to hit the 100's before some people see the wood from the trees and realise that arguing that a golf course should remain open was a bit shortsighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

PARlance wrote: »
    1. You're at risk at work.
    2. The golf course may be a less risky place but that's no reason to keep it open.

If you isolate outside of work, you'll only pass it on to your family. If you're playing golf at the weekend then there's an increased chance you pass it on and the mutliper effect kicks in.

People are really slow to grasp the notion that it's about limiting as many touchpoints as possible. Not because this thing might magically disappear... but rather because of health system is even less prepared / has less capacity per capita than the likes of Italy or Spain.

They're not closing things of the basis of risk, they're closing things on the basis that they're essential/non-essential. The Government has done ok so far but they should have probably acted sooner on closing non-essential workplaces, limiting essential shops to X people at a time and closing walking areas etc that are in heavy use etc.

We're still in the very early stages. It might take a week or so and deaths to hit the 100's before some people see the wood from the trees and realise that arguing that a golf course should remain open.

I dont disagree with closing courses for a short period. But i can understand where people are coming from and if a course was open i would play.

In work i can potentially spread to 100 people. Social distancing is in action but not totally avoidable.

At golf i can potentially spread to 3 other playing partners which can be avoided a lot easier using social distancing.

If i go for a walk the parks are jammed so the risk again is higher than playing golf in my opinion.

Of those three, the mulitplier for risk is lowest at golf for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I dont disagree with closing courses for a short period. But i can understand where people are coming from and if a course was open i would play.

In work i can potentially spread to 100 people. Social distancing is in action but not totally avoidable.

At golf i can potentially spread to 3 other playing partners which can be avoided a lot easier using social distancing.

If i go for a walk the parks are jammed so the risk again is higher than playing golf in my opinion.

Of those three, the mulitplier for risk is lowest at golf for me.

1. You probably have to go to work.
    2. You don't need to golf.
    3. You don't need to walk in jammed parks (that should be closed)

The risk is there with work. It's about limiting everything non-essential after that.

We all know golf is less risky. But that is not the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

GolfNut33 wrote: »

Sorry, you are the one posting here that golf should keep going.In fact you are playing at 1030 on Saturday ?

Have you changed your view yourself ?

Again - I'd say a few people will come back to this in a month and will admit it wasn't their clubs finest hour.

The GUI/ILGU will have to consider what clubs are aligned with their ideas. This will highlight ones that are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well actually and just for the record I had been very much on the fence and if you must know it was me who questioned the committees and felt we should call a halt to it. I had already pulled out of it before anything was announced, captain just hadn’t updated sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think with your posting style it will be a 1/2 at best. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Sorry, you are the one posting here that golf should keep going.In fact you are playing at 1030 on Saturday ?

Have you changed your view yourself ?

Again - I'd say a few people will come back to this in a month and will admit it wasn't their clubs finest hour.

The GUI/ILGU will have to consider what clubs are aligned with their ideas. This will highlight ones that are not.

Sorry, what crap are you on about now?

You're confusing me with someone else pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

Driving ranges closed also ?

Any courses open in mid west
    Asking for a friend :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Hopefully, yes, they are closed, because the staff shouldn't be put at risk just to keep you happy.

"Act as if you are infectious." This. Is. Not. Hard. To. Understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Your friend sounds like a bit of an idiot, I'd get rid of him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just inform your friend that he is a muppet and tell him to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Christ on a bike, how is this thread still a thing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Folks can ye go somewhere else if you want to talk about the Corna Virus and your opinions, After Hours a good home if you want to vent.

This thread is about precautions your club is taking, please stay to the topic

Stay safe!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I thought you were done after you slated the GUI for 2 days then admitted you were in the wrong by not reading the government directive.

You do realise that in a few weeks time...

Not when this has blown over, this won't blow over quickly. But when the dust has settled a bit and the mad panic is over and people will be able to think straight again.
    You will look back at this. How you were all losing your sht1. And how you were going to 'save lives' - by not getting into your car and driving to the golf course :pac:
    And my taking the piss will be unmerciful...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And my taking the piss will be unmerciful...

Hopefully none of us will be too busy burying someone to notice your pisstaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

At the request of the Mod, I'll try pull this back on topic.

Just an update on how clubs are keeping up maintenance while they are closed.

Given that we were trying to get an outing going in the Curragh, I was in fairly regular contact with the guy who manages their society bookings and he gave me the rundown on what they're doing while closed.

They have a team of 4 groundskeeping staff. They are working in a team of 2s each day they are in and working a split shift, one on from 7-1, the other then on from 1-7 so no crossover on the course.

They'll be keeping an eye on the course as they complete their work & if anyone tries to sneak on will contact the relevant authorities.

Seems like they're doing he best they can & a great job of trying to balance protecting their staff with protecting their course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement