Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

Yea I would like to think courses will still keep the maintenance up! plus it be good for the staff's mental health and they will still get paid which is good also. I just hope my club keeps it going.. They have recently pole forked the greens, 2 weeks ago now. Last week there was still a lot of holes that needed sand brushed into them.

I was playing with committee members and they were a bit pissed he hadn't done it and were going to get onto him again So hopefully they did.

Last year it took months for them to be right for that very reason (no joke) and there was murder. So hopefully lessons were learned. The greens are fairly big though.. and I still cant hit them in GIR ..lol...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I went for a walk first thing this morning, passing my home course on the way. The course had just been freshly mowed and looked immaculate in the early morning light. Gutting not being able to get out in this weather, but looking forward to the day we're all allowed back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Based on my observations (and expectations) courses will be following the same maintenance routines, one significant saving should be on bunker management which takes a huge percentage of staff time.

My own course and the course behind me are still cutting grass pretty much daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

My course needs the rest to be honest. It gets alot of traffic through opens and what not. Some of the fairways are fairly beaten up with divot marks its actually lucky when you avoid one rather than unlucky when you land in one

so a month or two with no traffic but maintenance is probably exactly what the doctor ordered, The thought of a well rested links almost makes the downtime bearable... almost

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

GreeBo wrote: »
    Based on my observations (and expectations) courses will be following the same maintenance routines, one significant saving should be on bunker management which takes a huge percentage of staff time.

My own course and the course behind me are still cutting grass pretty much daily.

Please God when ever we do manage to get back the courses will be in pristine condition. Imagine a few months of summer growth with no pitch marks or divots!!!! Something to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

And the K Club (golf) closed as soon as the announcement was made, in addition to the hotel closing 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

fearruanua wrote: »
    Please God when ever we do manage to get back the courses will be in pristine condition. Imagine a few months of summer growth with no pitch marks or divots!!!! Something to look forward to.

Cant wait to get back out and hack up the fairways.:D:D:D
    Its really hard to even guess when we will be allowed back to some sort of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

it won't come as any surprise I know, but the European Club time-sheet is choc-a-block

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

slave1 wrote: »
    Folks can ye go somewhere else if you want to talk about the Corna Virus and your opinions, After Hours a good home if you want to vent.

This thread is about precautions your club is taking, please stay to the topic

Stay safe!!!
    Considering most clubs are closed surely this should be an open and shut case and the thread should be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

BoldReason wrote: »
    Considering most clubs are closed surely this should be an open and shut case and the thread should be closed?

Can we have a bit of feedback to mods - we did it at one point in the past.

Why on earth would you ever want to close a thread.

There - is very little else going on. There has been a pattern of closing threads because people disagree with each other .

If some people are posting aggressively as has been the case, deal with the poster - cards etc.

We can't just shut down debate ?

It is ok for someone to at least make their argument to keep playing , and debate it out (whilst not getting personal)

Golf is still on - it is the most interesting thing going on in golf. I want to know if golf can still be played, how , when and how it will pan out, with union, legally, HSE, HSA, Garda, Public etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

When they re-open it will still be a topic of conversation. And for keeping up with any developments as and when they arise.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    When they re-open it will still be a topic of conversation. And for keeping up with any developments as and when they arise.

True - like there is well over half the topics that are not interesting to everyone.
    This is the most posted thread at present ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

True - like there is well over half the topics that are not interesting to everyone.
    This is the most posted thread at present ?
    Well there's feck all else going on in the world of golf at the minute. I suppose another Rory McIlroy pile on is about due. He's probably said something that's got the pearl clutching brigade reaching for their keyboards. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Long Turn

Sorry - this is what you posted ? :confused:

In the context of precautions as mods have asked - let the thread know how you get on and what new precautions are in place for the clubs still open.

Will be interesting , as golf at some stage will open up elsewhere , when we feel we are on top of things.

No need for the pal...........

Fixed

The original comment was made by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Long Turn

One was made by Golfnut

Another by Golfhead

Long Turn wrote: »
    One was made by Golfnut

Another by Golfhead

Good point :D

If the local kids would stay off the courses that might be true.

I'm seeing a lot of "practice" from people who seem to be unaware of things like divots and pitchmarks...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

I don't really care if it is closed. Discussion would imply that people are actually listening to each other from what I can see that is a bit of a stretch tbh.

The thread is titled what precautions are your club taking for coronavirus. Almost all are closed. It isn't really a point for discussion anymore imo. But people can work away if they want.

GreeBo wrote: »
    If the local kids would stay off the courses that might be true.

I'm seeing a lot of "practice" from people who seem to be unaware of things like divots and pitchmarks...:mad:

Noticed when golf was on - the green were in bits to be honest , pitch marks not fixed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭blue note

It would almost be a shame to play on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

I don't really care if it is closed. Discussion would imply that people are actually listening to each other from what I can see that is a bit of a stretch tbh.

The thread is titled what precautions are your club taking for coronavirus. Almost all are closed. It isn't really a point for discussion anymore imo. But people can work away if they want.

This thread should not be closed. It is very greedy & reckless for clubs to remain open, someone quoted that the European Club and Roganstown are very busy, If this is true the Golfing Union should consider sanctions.
    Our Course, Dublin Mountain shut immediately after the GUI recommendation on Tuesday. We have had a couple of players chancing their arm coming up to see if its open, there is a large sign at the front Gate "Course Closed" end of Story... All have been turned away.

The posters on here arguing that golf is very safe are completely missing the point, it is not simply about transmission of C-19, If someone had an accident or health issue on any course still open it puts unnecessary strain on the emergency services/Hospitals who have to divert from the huge task they have in dealing with the growing Covid Problem.
    Stay at home wherever possible !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Swords and Roganstown both closed from this evening for the foreseeable .

Well that lasted.

In fairness would like to hear how someone got on in the European club - looking at the day, I'd imagine it was an amazing day out there.

825x293px-Woodford-BlogBanner.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

From what i've been told, they closed to visitors. A member told me this afternoon they are open to members (though he may not have had the latest info).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

In fairness would like to hear how someone got on in the European club - looking at the day, I'd imagine it was an amazing day out there.

I played Roganstown yesterday. Fantastic weather. No jumpers needed. It was quite busy but everyone seemed to respect the 2 metre rule. The precautions they put in place meant I didn’t need to touch anything others would have.
    Now tomorrow I know for sure it will be difficult if not impossible to maintain 2 metre separation in my local park.

Edit: This was my first visit and I’m looking forward to returning in the future.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I played Roganstown yesterday. Fantastic weather. No jumpers needed. It was quite busy but everyone seemed to respect the 2 metre rule. The precautions they put in place meant I didn’t need to touch anything others would have.
    Now tomorrow I know for sure it will be difficult if not impossible to maintain 2 metre separation in my local park.

Edit: This was my first visit and I’m looking forward to returning in the future.

Well fair play to you admitting it any way.

To a degree you are only putting people at risk that you are playing with, and your contacts (family) household. If you traveled in your own car ?

The risk is very low - so to a degree it is the choice of all the people involved.

I know people talk about the local park - but parks are big, and you can be sensible enough too - and people are stepping into the grass etc. If you maintained 2 meters at all times , I would be impressed , but the point being made was, it wasn't happening too well in 4 balls all the time. There were incidents every time you went down and it was all a bit too casual at times. I'd say if golf had gone one, people were improving and would have got better.

There is no doubt as we exit this - we are going to be playing golf like this for a few months after - as cases of covid will still be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Slightly off topic but the Irish Examiner reported last Wednesday that Killorglin Golf Course closed for good last weekend. The Hon. Sec is quoted that a bad winter and dwindling numbers were a problem but as he says Covid-19 put the tin hat on it.
    He predicts that many more will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Kiith wrote: »
    From what i've been told, they closed to visitors. A member told me this afternoon they are open to members (though he may not have had the latest info).

That was the original plan , but got updated info at 4pm today
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1600763810079341&id=723684781120586

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement