Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Likely parks and beaches will be shut after tonight so lots must arguments to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I'm in total agreement, I'm booked in for a game at 10-30 Sat morning, fancy joining me... keeping your distance of course

I hope your booking is refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Hope your club survives, not for your benefit mind you, for the good people there

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Very insecure bitter man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Calm heads folks.

On a follow on to my previous post I’m more than happy to follow the new advice being given tonight.
    Of course the most important thing is people’s health.

Beyond that businesses will massively suffer over the next couple months. Not all of them will reopen and that includes golf courses. So it’s important you stay in touch and support your local club through this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Very insecure bitter man

Please don’t post in this manner again or you’ll be taking a little holiday from this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether golf course maintenance will be considered an "essential service"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

HighLine wrote: »
    Anyone hazard a guess as to whether golf course maintenance will be considered an "essential service"?

For the next two weeks, I'd assume a definite NO

For the next two weeks, I'd assume a definite NO

I would think the same. Obviously insignificant in the grander scale of things but this will pose a serious problem for golf clubs in the weeks ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Yes, it will be. It was included in Italy and Spain so I would expect the same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I would think the same. Obviously insignificant in the grander scale of things but this will pose a serious problem for golf clubs in the weeks ahead.

I'd imagine - it will start all out lock down - but then a refined list will be issued , including maintenance of sporting grounds (at some point) - or all maintenance that can adhere to social distancing policy as issued but HSE/HSA

Well, will have to be something like that- as there will be far more problems than golf created.

I'd imagine - it will start all out lock down - but then a refined list will be issued , including maintenance of sporting grounds (at some point) - or all maintenance that can adhere to social distancing policy as issued but HSE/HSA

Well, will have to be something like that- as there will be far more problems than golf created.

Yeah one man per tractor or a mower should be OK you'd imagine.

Hope your club survives, not for your benefit mind you, for the good people there

This is a sentiment I would fully endorse. Thank you for your good wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Yes, it will be. It was included in Italy and Spain so I would expect the same here
    I can't see it being included in essential medical services.

I'd expect sprinklers to be minimized to retard growth where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    I can't see it being included in essential medical services.

I'd expect sprinklers to be minimized to retard growth where possible.
    Open to correction, but I don't think essential services was restricted to medical only. For example, transport services, food shops and supermarkets, pharmacies etc. are remaining open as they are essential. I would have thought banks would be as well. My understanding is that a list will be provided.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Open to correction, but I don't think essential services was restricted to medical only. For example, transport services, food shops and supermarkets, pharmacies etc. are remaining open as they are essential. I would have thought banks would be as well. My understanding is that a list will be provided.

Correct - there are more than just medical services that are deemed critical.

It is hard to make an argument for golf - but general maintenance of certain things are required for the normal economy and society to restart.

If people can generate procedures and adhere to the instructions issued - I'd imagine some stuff will restart fairly quick.

We really have a lack of appreciation of these very jobs that keep everything working and moving in the world around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

We really have a lack of appreciation of these very jobs that keep everything working and moving in the world around us.
    Just remaining on the golf topic (although your wider point is probably valid), I know I personally appreciate the work greenkeeping staff do on our course. When I'm out practising, I often run into them on the course and they will invariably stop working to let me play on. At which point, I will tell them to keep working as what they're doing is more important than my having to wait a few minutes to hit a ball.

Often resulting in an 'after you' stalemate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

A couple of days ago I got quite pig-headed here over the golf closure thing. You may remember. If you don't, better again.

I was on about the actual risk of infection on the golf course and got quite argumentative and came across rather self-centred I guess. Most importantly I failed to see that none of that matters anymore. I acted quite the idiot. I'm after realising that now.

Apologies if I riled up anyone the wrong way. Hope everyone is well and we come out of this better on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s a decent man who admits they got it wrong.

Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

List issued, green keepers not mentioned directly but roles that they cover at clubs are included so I don’t see any issue for clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

A couple of days ago I got quite pig-headed here over the golf closure thing. You may remember. If you don't, better again.

I was on about the actual risk of infection on the golf course and got quite argumentative and came across rather self-centred I guess. Most importantly I failed to see that none of that matters anymore. I acted quite the idiot. I'm after realising that now.

Apologies if I riled up anyone the wrong way. Hope everyone is well and we come out of this better on the other side.
    Top Man Calamari respect, and we will come out the better for it. l think this has made a lot of us that might have not normally have contemplated too much on life until possibly perhaps our twilight years really question what is important about our lives and the society we want to live in.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    List issued, green keepers not mentioned directly but roles that they cover at clubs are included so I don’t see any issue for clubs.

I didn't get that from reading the list...what roles are you thinking?
    I think risking lives to cut grass is crazy, fwiw.

prawnsambo wrote: »

Sorry, that was meant to say essential OR medical services!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Fair play. I think we have all been guilty of this no matter what side of the fence we were on. Time for this thread to settle a bit, we're all on the same side. Hope we all keep safe and are golfing in the not too distance future.

I think this gives a window for golf course maintenance to be done on Monday anyway - then course should be fine this time of year for 2 weeks - in fact will do them good.

"There will be a grace period until 6pm on Monday 30 March for people who need to make necessary arrangements to wind down their activities in an orderly way. This should however be done in a way that minimises travel and personal interaction as much as possible."

I do anticipate in the review that grounds maintenance will be included - as it is an activity that can be done within any HSE/HSA guideline that will be issued.

But, I do understand the logic of saying no to stuff unnecessary (golf) , as when say 3/4 people are in work - personal interaction will happen , as just pure human nature also there are common facilities where equipment , lunch, toilets, mess rooms etc are shared and it is very hard to maintain standards in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The R&A apparently issued guidance that green keepers could continue to perform essential maintenance. If your greens were untouched for 3 weeks, it could be 3 months before they got back to normal.

Rikand wrote: »
    The R&A apparently issued guidance that green keepers could continue to perform essential maintenance. If your greens were untouched for 3 weeks, it could be 3 months before they got back to normal.

I don’t think the R&A will have the final say in the matter.

The R&A won't have any say in the matter. What is most likely going to happen IMO is that an absolute skeleton crew will cut greens, fairways and tee boxes over the next few weeks. And it will be done on the quiet. Not getting into the rights and wrongs of those actions, that is just what I'm guessing will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The R&A won't have any say in the matter. What is most likely going to happen IMO is that an absolute skeleton crew will cut greens, fairways and tee boxes over the next few weeks. And it will be done on the quiet. Not getting into the rights and wrongs of those actions, that is just what I'm guessing will happen.

The medical official at the UK press briefing was talking about the gradual relaxing of restrictions over 6 months depending on how things are going. I doubt if reopening golf courses will be anywhere near the top of their agenda.
    It will probably be the same here so I wouldn’t be optimistic about playing any golf this side of October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭blue note

I saw on social media that corballis are still maintaining the course anyway. It's the right thing to do I reckon. I'd say minimal risk for what we'll get out of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement