Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

we'll be doing well to play any golf at all this summer, IMO July at the earliest ......... if we are lucky :(

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

All championship and inter-club competitions that were due to commence between now and the end of May are indefinitely postponed

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4641/events-postponed-list

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Some interesting stats from the US posted to Golfwrx in relation to courses. The National Golf Foundation surveyed 1000 courses for updates there, and found:
    74% of "in-season" courses are still open
    Golf Rounds in February were up 15.2%
    Around 35% of Independent/regional retailers were still open.

You'd have to think, if their numbers are up, and courses are still open, with Golf demographics, that this could really drag on over in the US (combined with Trumps half-a$$ed approach to dealing with it)

Yep looks like huge amount of states still open for play. I got this from reddit golf where they're either playing away happily or angry their course is shut. They might change their tune when the daily death tolls are over 1000 in continental US

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yep looks like huge amount of states still open for play. I got this from reddit golf where they're either playing away happily or angry their course is shut. They might change their tune when the daily death tolls are over 1000 in continental US

Arizona has declared golf an essential activity, so it wont be getting shut down there may time soon I'd reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

The US death toll is already over 5000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/golf-in-denmark-re-opens-with-restrictions-could-uk-follow-194482

Light at the end of the tunnel??? Golf re-opens in Denmark.

1 or 2 balls social golf

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Arizona has declared golf an essential activity, so it wont be getting shut down there may time soon I'd reckon

Considering the US declared guns & ammo as essential items, I'd pretty much ignore anything they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Considering the US declared guns & ammo as essential items, I'd pretty much ignore anything they do!
    Of course they're essential. How else are you going to get that fourball ahead of you to let you play through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

martinkop wrote: »
    https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/golf-in-denmark-re-opens-with-restrictions-could-uk-follow-194482

1 or 2 balls social golf

I think it's a little early for them to be discussing that despite their apparent "flattening of the curve".

For us, such measures will be considered in May I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

martinkop wrote: »

1 or 2 balls social golf
    The Danes are a sensible and pragmatic race. I think that we could easily follow suit. I was just thinking of all the over 70s that I know in our club who live for their game of golf and the vital social interaction that goes with it. If they are made to ‘cocoon’ , (imprison), themselves for another 3 months some of them will go nuts. They could easily be out playing without endangering themselves or anyone else. Golf is that kind of game.
    What is happening at the moment is a form of cruelty imo. Up to now, if a family locked up an elderly relative and denied them any social interaction, they would rightly be charged with elder abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Get with it, lad who works for me, his cousin died yesterday from Corona, aged 32.
    And you call cocooning a form of cruelty!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Get with it, lad who works for me, his cousin died yesterday from Corona, aged 32.
    And you call cocooning a form of cruelty!!!

Yes, I believe it is. It’s doing more harm than good. I know that may not be a popular opinion but I assure you that another few weeks of this will drive people mad and they will just start getting on with their lives and to hell with the consequences.
    Life is not, and never can be, risk free. You can minimise risk but you can never eliminate it.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Life is not, and never can be, risk free. You can minimise risk but you can never eliminate it.

Learn the rules of risk and you'll understand Risk Management, that's what we are doing now, we are accepting and managing the risk

im actually starting to think about all these people who want to just get on with life and suffer the consequences and how we should help them out.

how about if the rest of us continue good practice and social distance and isolate and cocoon etc and these people who are happy for life to go back to normal should be herded together for a few weeks till they get the disease. then if they recover and thing they are immune, they can go back to their life and if they die...... well they asked for it!

..but if that happens our health system won't be able to cope

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Yes, I believe it is. It’s doing more harm than good. I know that may not be a popular opinion but I assure you that another few weeks of this will drive people mad and they will just start getting on with their lives and to hell with the consequences.

Its not a popular opinion because it ignores the mountains of evidence against it.

The sad thing is you'll only see how wrong you are if the situation gets to be as bad as elsewhere. People are under the false assumption that this is more benign than it is just because we are doing the right thing and slowing its progress.

People will starting going mad at home I'm sure and lots of elderly people will feel isolated too but its by far the lesser of two evils and can be mitigated without putting them at risk.

Seve OB wrote: »
    im actually starting to think about all these people who want to just get on with life and suffer the consequences and how we should help them out.

how about if the rest of us continue good practice and social distance and isolate and cocoon etc and these people who are happy for life to go back to normal should be herded together for a few weeks till they get the disease. then if they recover and thing they are immune, they can go back to their life and if they die...... well they asked for it!

What everyone here seems to ignore is this ‘cocooning’ of the over 70s is not a short term thing. Even if we manage to keep all or most of them from being exposed to the virus, they still can’t resume normal life until a vaccine is developed which could be a year or 18 months away, if ever.
    The rest of us may be able to get back on the golf course in the not too distant future but anyone over 70 won’t be allowed out because they have no immunity and this virus will become endemic and will always be around.
    Is this really what anyone wants?

What everyone here seems to ignore is this ‘cocooning’ of the over 70s is not a short term thing. Even if we manage to keep all or most of them from being exposed to the virus, they still can’t resume normal life until a vaccine is developed which could be a year or 18 months away, if ever.
    The rest of us may be able to get back on the golf course in the not too distant future but anyone over 70 won’t be allowed out because they have no immunity and this virus will become endemic and will always be around.
    A vaccine will be developed. In fact (at least) two already have and are in testing. I hope you're not going around telling people the guff you've come out with above.

slave1 wrote: »
    ..but if that happens our health system won't be able to cope

so what. let the people suffer.

not my choice, im just being smart in case you don't realise it. same way as so many people still don't realise that this sh1t is serious.

hmmmm lets weight it up

go out now and play russian roulette (Which may elderly are still doing by the way)
    or
    stay at home for a few months till vaccines and antibodies are developed (which will happen)

so would you rather live a little or not live at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

pakman wrote: »
    Its not a popular opinion because it ignores the mountains of evidence against it.

The sad thing is you'll only see how wrong you are if the situation gets to be as bad as elsewhere. People are under the false assumption that this is more benign than it is just because we are doing the right thing and slowing its progress.

People will starting going mad at home I'm sure and lots of elderly people will feel isolated too but its by far the lesser of two evils and can be mitigated without putting them at risk.

This 100% wont be popular opinion. But how many life years are we actually saving at what cost??

Ignoring the economic effect which is also significant

The part that is very hard to quantify is how many years of life are we saving. Many of the people who will die might have died in next years flu.....

That needs to be offset against the loss of life quality for the same people! Some of them may never see their family again....it is that drastic

Sorry I am a horrible mathematical bastard and hugely at risk as a stage 4 cancer sufferer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Getting away from golf slightly for the moment as really it is beyond that right now.
    I'm completely for all these measures for as long as we can keep everything functional and the economy ticking over.
    But there is definitely a point where we must consider the economic damage over the health of the few. Maybe that is callous which I am OK with saying. But say as an example 1 life is not worth a complete collapse of the economy and hundreds of thousands of jobs. There has to be a point in that scale where we exit from this with some risk still present if it means saving the country from a complete collapse.
    When that point is right now is anyones guess.

I am OK with this for the time being. But I do see some places returning to business in the next couple of months. I could possibly see pubs and large gatherings having to wait longer but golf is surely in the lower risk bracket I'd imagine so I could see people being able to get out in maybe May at some point.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    This 100% wont be popular opinion. But how many life years are we actually saving at what cost??

Ignoring the economic effect which is also significant

The part that is very hard to quantify is how many years of life are we saving. Many of the people who will die might have died in next years flu.....

That needs to be offset against the loss of life quality for the same people! Some of them may never see their family again....it is that drastic

Sorry I am a horrible mathematical bastard and hugely at risk as a stage 4 cancer sufferer!!

Anyone who dies definitely wont see their family again though.
    There is also evidence that even survivors suffer from some permanent lung damage so its not as simple as life or death.

Finally if this gets out of hand like it has in other countries then its not just people with COVID-19 who are at risk. Anyone who gets sick for *any* reason will be competing for medical resources (doctors, nurses, beds, ventilators, etc) with the huge volume of people who have COVID-19.
    Survival rates from heart attacks, strokes, accidents will plummet due to lack of availability of basic care.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    The CEO of the biggest Pharmaceutical company said yesterday it will be at least early 2021 before they will be able to mass produce the vaccine and that vaccine will go to certain groups first. Testing normally takes two years but he reckons they can get it done in 6 months. Creating the vaccine isn’t really the issue, it’s manufacturing it and tooling up to do that.

So to give it to 8 billion people and yes the herd affect means not everyone needs it, but I would say get yourself prepared!
    What CEO of what pharmaceutical company which is biggest where? CureVac, who have actually develooed a vaccine say it could be in production before the Autumn. I wouldn't doubt that production could take time to ramp up, but the basics of vaccine production are very well established.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

prawnsambo wrote: »
    A vaccine will be developed. In fact (at least) two already have and are in testing. I hope you're not going around telling people the guff you've come out with above.

Should get the timesheets from the clubs that chose not to close, and put everyone who played forward for the human vaccine trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Wow. The golf forum has become another victim of Covid-19. The virus has turned it into After Hours II.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Wow. The golf forum has become another victim of Covid-19. The virus has turned it into After Hours II.

tbf, there isnt a whole lot else going on for most people.
    Its that or discuss the production qualities of Peppa Pig with my daughter.

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Like many of us here, I’m sure, I belong to a couple of golf-related WhatsApp groups which were set up to arrange golf trips and generally discuss what’s going on in the world of golf. Now it’s all about Covid and the lockdown.
    There is a striking difference of opinion on the current lockdown with the older members, (some over 70), being the most worried, not so much about getting Covid but whether they will get out to play at all in the foreseeable future, never mind going on any trips. The younger members tend to be more philosophical about the whole thing and tend to the view that there is always next year.
    The comments which I have made on this thread reflect the views of those older members as I understand them. They, (the over 70s), are afraid that even if some limited golf is allowed sometime soon, that they will be excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

GreeBo wrote: »
    tbf, there isnt a whole lot else going on for most people.
    Its that or discuss the production qualities of Peppa Pig with my daughter.

How about we discuss the obvious anti-male, anti-daddy bias in that subversive programme!

You know you're watching too much of it when you try a stupid shot, it doesn't come off and you curse to yourself "silly Daddy" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

How about we discuss the obvious anti-male, anti-daddy bias in that subversive programme!

You know you're watching too much of it when you try a stupid shot, it doesn't come off and you curse to yourself "silly Daddy" :D

Fcuk sake Peppa, reach the hole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement