Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Glebee wrote: »
    Fcuk sake Peppa, reach the hole.

100% of short puts don't go in!!!!

Whatever else about this lockdown, I don't miss such gems being spouted on the golf course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

Ive heard of loads of good stories which are very heart warming with the elderly as their family or neighbours have set them up on apps where they all see each other and they are having quiz nights, bingo and the likes with the over 70's brilliant idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The GUI have issued a survey to all clubs which will give us a better picture of the current situation.

Golf clubs across Ireland have been hit hard by the global emergency that is with us at present. While we know this period of restriction will pass, we are also aware of the significant and lasting impact this will have on our sport.

Our clubs play a vital role in the life of our cities, towns and villages and we want our members to emerge from this prepared to face the challenges ahead. This is not be an easy time for our sport.
    In line with this, we are planning to outline the financial impact of the current crisis on our member clubs to government departments and agencies.
    We have prepared a survey that aims to capture the economic impact for clubs. It is our intention to collate the data and prepare a high-level paper for both governments to consider. The Unions will continue to make a compelling case for state-funded supports to help our clubs recover as soon as possible.
    The survey requires financial information and projections to be included. No data provided to the Unions will be used to identify any club and we ask that clubs provide estimates in line with previous accounting periods.

Men’s and Women's sections within clubs should co-ordinate a single response.

Some clubs have asked for the questions in the survey so they can prepare the answers before completing the survey online.
    Here they are:
    Q1. Name of golf club:
    Q2. Name of person filling in survey:
    Q3. Your role within the club?
    Q4. Based on 2019 figures, how many adult members (male and female) did your club have in total?
    Q5. Type of club
    Q6. Do you expect to have material decreases in membership on account of the Covid 19 pandemic?
    Q7. Overall, what percentage of your overall membership do you expect to lose compared to 2019?
    Q8. In monetary terms, how much revenue from club membership do you anticipate losing from the COVID-19 pandemic?
    Q9. Have you had requests from members to do any of the following?
    Q10. What do you estimate the impact the suspension of golf activities will have on restaurant / catering revenue per week? (you can base this on previous years revenue at the same time period)
    Q11. How much revenue per week will your club lose from having no club or open competitions? Estimate based on 2019 figures.
    Q12. What do you estimate the impact the suspension of golf activities will have on bar revenue per week? (you can base this on previous years revenue at the same time period)
    Q13. Will the suspension of golf activities have an impact on sponsorship agreements? – Please detail the lost revenues.
    Q14. What do you estimate the impact the suspension of golf activities will be on green fee / society revenue per week? (you can base this on previous years revenue at the same time period)
    Q15. What do you estimate the impact the suspension of golf activities will be on pro shop revenue per week? (you can base this on previous years revenue at the same time period)
    Q16. What do you estimate the impact the suspension of golf activities will be on other revenue per week? Give details below. (you can base this on previous years revenue at the same time period)
    Q17. What % of total annual subscriptions has your club collected up to the end of March?
    Q18. How have any employed staff (not contractors) been affected:
    Q19. Have any self employed contractors (coaches etc) been made redundant or expect to be made redundant in the next 4 weeks. If yes please quantify numbers?
    Q20. If the current crisis and shutdown continues past May will you have difficulties in meeting your obligations to banks, utility providers, revenue etc ?
    Q21. Is your club in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland?
    Northern Ireland Clubs Only
    Q22. Should the Government Task Force for Northern Ireland require use of facilities to aid the response to the pandemic, which of the following would your club be willing to make available (responding below does not commit you to anything, we are just establishing what may be available)
    Q23. Which council area in Northern Ireland is your club located?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

When someone uses the words “high level paper” and then ask basically 20 questions, well you should worry!

The government have asked all sporting bodies to compile a report showing the economic impact of this closure. I doubt very little will come from it and I reckon the sports grant allocations will now be pulled.

If the GUI was any good, when the FAI got bailed out they would have taken legal action asking for the same.

What’s worse, they’ve sent these questions to the wrong people in most clubs! Clubs are ran by management committees and not the men’s and ladies club.

It’s really amazing that golf clubs in Ireland haven’t got a body representing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ollieboy wrote: »
    If the GUI was any good, when the FAI got bailed out they would have taken legal action asking for the same.
    On what legal basis could they do that? What law says that sports bodies should be bailed out equally, regardless of their financial situation?

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    On what legal basis could they do that? What law says that sports bodies should be bailed out equally, regardless of their financial situation?

Loads! And you totally miss the point. Another sports body threaten action and got paid off. That’s how you do business in this country

Loads! And you totally miss the point. Another sports body threaten action and got paid off. That’s how you do business in this country
    "Loads". :)

But somehow can't name one. Hint: There aren't any.

"Loads". :)

But somehow can't name one. Hint: There aren't any.

Why do you think the arrangement agreed was so complex!

The government knew they were in trouble with this agreement and it broke state and EU rules alone for state aid. If you want me to dig out the act for you I will need to charge you by hourly rate.

I didn’t name one because I thought anyone with a brain cell would know the above!

And I’m amazed you think the deal with the FAI was acceptable spending of tax payers money on a sport that is already a big earner but just corrupt to the core and badly managed.

And out of my post, this is your only comment! That’s sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The government knew they were in trouble with this agreement and it broke state and EU rules alone for state aid. If you want me to dig out the act for you I will need to charge you by hourly rate.

I didn’t name one because I thought anyone with a brain cell would know the above!

And I’m amazed you think the deal with the FAI was acceptable spending of tax payers money on a sport that is already a big earner but just corrupt to the core and badly managed.

Lol

Well that was one fun list of nonsense. EU state aid rules don't apply to sporting bodies. They all get state aid. Everywhere.

I'm a bit confused by your amazement btw. Because it seems you're amazed by something I never said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

All sports get state aid Grey hounds ffs got just under 17 million euro last Year. Football is the biggest participation sport in the country and having been hi-jacked by an incompetent bunch of Cronies for years is now emerging from dark times. The amount of good that will come from Our Governments assistance will imo make it money well spent. As for football being a big earner show me where in this country anyone other than The International Manager and FAI CEO make decent money even those 2 jobs would now be a lot less lucrative. The best Football player in Ireland might get 65 k a year, Jack Byrne by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

All sports get state aid Grey hounds ffs got just under 17 million euro last Year. Football is the biggest participation sport in the country and having been hi-jacked by an incompetent bunch of Cronies for years is now emerging from dark times. The amount of good that will come from Our Governments assistance will imo make it money well spent. As for football being a big earner show me where in this country anyone other than The International Manager and FAI CEO make decent money even those 2 jobs would now be a lot less lucrative. The best Football player in Ireland might get 65 k a year, Jack Byrne by the way.

Second biggest, corrected that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Golf is perceived as something of an elitist passtime played almost exclusively by the better off in society. There may be some truth in this for some very exclusive clubs but not for the majority. But from a PR point of view it would not look good if public money was spent in supporting golf clubs. I seem to remember that there was a lot of adverse comment a few years ago when some golf clubs got Lotto money.
    My own club has already notified members that there will be severe financial difficulties very soon. I would expect that club members will have to put their hands in their pockets to make up the shortfall for this year at least. This is going to be difficult as many members will have their own financial difficulties.
    I can see many clubs closing down when this episode is over because they will simply not be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

When people are allowed to start thinking of what happens towards the end of this dreadful thing. Which Im' surprised the see here tbh. Thought police is rather strong on the golf board after all and how dare you while people are still getting sick...

But when people are allowed to start thinking how to pick up the pieces - every Tom will be looking for a bailout.
    I dare say golf clubs will be rather far down the list of institutions to receive state aid and will be left to fend for themselves. Which is understandable but it will certainly shake up the golf club scene.

I'm pretty sure my club hasn't much of a reserve to speak of and was making ends meet as it was. Except for the big Yankee tourist dollar clubs most clubs will probably be in the same boat. Its gonna be interesting to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

When people are allowed to start thinking of what happens towards the end of this dreadful thing. Which Im' surprised the see here tbh. Thought police is rather strong on the golf board after all and how dare you while people are still getting sick...

But when people are allowed to start thinking how to pick up the pieces - every Tom will be looking for a bailout.

I dare say golf clubs will be rather far down the list of institutions to receive state aid and will be left to fend for themselves. Which is understandable but it will certainly shake up the golf club scene.

I'm pretty sure my club hasn't much of a reserve to speak of and was making ends meet as it was. Except for the big Yankee tourist dollar clubs most clubs will probably be in the same boat. Its gonna be interesting to say the least.

I remember when you posted that "apology". I didn't "like" the post because I knew it was BS. The above text in bold demonstrates that for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It was BS and it wasn't. I understood that 'tone of the nation thing' and that peoples heads just weren't in the right place and I genuinely felt embarrassed that I didn't get that. Doesn't mean I don't think that some of the measures were dictated by fear rather than rational thought. And thats ok too. Easy to be fearful at a crazy time like this.

But thats neither here nor there. Here I'm just commenting on the probability that golf clubs may receive a corona bailout. So thank you, Happy Easter to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Someone mentioned earlier that the sports capital grant will likely be scrapped now... I think this is false as a lot of clubs have started work with their grant money .. so that money will be ring fenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Golf courses reopening in Austria, but restricted to 2balls for the moment.

But they've had a huge reduction in the numbers of daily cases reported

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/austria/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Rikand wrote: »

You'd imagine that when restriction start to ease that golf courses will be one of the first to reopen. 2ball makes sense, will be fun trying to get on the time sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

You'd imagine that when restriction start to ease that golf courses will be one of the first to reopen. 2ball makes sense, will be fun trying to get on the time sheet.

Could reduce times to 5 minute intervals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

There may well be an upside to golf club membership and recruitment when you consider that it is entirely possible part of the younger demographic people who are actively involved in team sports may opt to consider playing golf and or joining a club as its the sport that will come back a lot quicker when compared to field sports.

Well that was one fun list of nonsense. EU state aid rules don't apply to sporting bodies. They all get state aid. Everywhere.

I'm a bit confused by your amazement btw. Because it seems you're amazed by something I never said.

Your confusing sports aid and grants with financial support. Sports aid and grants have a qualifying process that all bodies apply for and a scoring system.

The money for the FAI was totally different and needed special permission by multiple bodies to go through.

As I already stated, one sports body threaten action and got paid off! I never stated you will actually take action but you but people under pressure to give you more.

The point was the GUI aren’t even at the races.

Your confusing sports aid and grants with financial support. Sports aid and grants have a qualifying process that all bodies apply for.

It sure you know it all!

I can see why people don’t bother posting with your attitude!
    Yes. You don't just get handouts because you're a sports body. You have to apply for them. Duh.

They still don't fall foul of EU state aid rules. Because sports bodies can't operate in other jurisdictions - ever seen the FA organising football here? So there's no competition element.

And it's only spoofers that get the 'attitude'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Can we get this thread back on track lads and quit the waffle about political funding?

As mentioned above, Castleknock is another club that is posting regular updates and photos of the work going on around the course. It’s looking in great shape. My other club not really giving us any info but I’m sure they are working away.

Neither club though have been anyway active in communication with the members about the club and what’s going on behind the scenes. Not that I want to know the finer details, but I’m always of the opinion that a bit of regular communication with the members is key to a good club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

We are still getting our weekly updates about what is happening

The guy who usually only is a summer golfer is going to clean up this year if we ever get going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

My club is good at communication, emailing weekly updates. They’re doing a lot of work on the maintenance of the course, it looks absolutely superb. I’m itching for a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You cant take that in isolation though.

"Austria took relatively early action to restrict social interaction and has been successful in “flattening the curve” of infections. Its rate of testing has also been twice that of Ireland’s per head of population."

They are significantly ahead of us and have very low numbers of infected and deaths compared to everyone else.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You cant take that in isolation though.

"Austria took relatively early action to restrict social interaction and has been successful in “flattening the curve” of infections. Its rate of testing has also been twice that of Ireland’s per head of population."

They are significantly ahead of us and have very low numbers of infected and deaths compared to everyone else.
    They managed to spread it around though. I know seven lads who went skiing there, came back Paddy's weekend and all of them had it. All recovered thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They managed to spread it around though. I know seven lads who went skiing there, came back Paddy's weekend and all of them had it. All recovered thank God.

tbf it sounds like it was your mates who spread it around! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No chance most lads will get around with only 2 balls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement