Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well don't bring it up if you don't want to debate it.

I would be ok debating it, but is this the right place, dunno? And I mean strictly for formal reasons. As in mod telling me not to drag thread off topic. I have history.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would be ok debating it, but is this the right place, dunno? And I mean strictly for formal reasons. As in mod telling me not to drag thread off topic. I have history.

start your own thread so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    I've not seen a mod instruction on this thread to the effect that discussing the purposes of the lockdown are not on topic here. Closing golf courses is part of the lockdown and the purpose for same would appear to be on topic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

You're breaking quarantine in two localities. And by the nature of golf club membership, that can be multiplied many times over. It makes tracing of contacts in the case of infection a mammoth task. And completely negates the purpose of the lockdown.

At least if you are at your golf club with members only playing it would be very easy to trace your contacts, on the other hand you pop down to your local supermarket to do your weekly shop (I honestly think some people are going down every day to shop to have some sort of social life) and God forbid you get the virus Are you telling me it would be easier there to trace your contacts, don't think it would so get real about this, The virus doesn't know you are on essential business (to shop)or leisure time to play golf or Tennis or Cricket..Not just Golf is stopped

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    At least if you are at your golf club with members only playing it would be very easy to trace your contacts, on the other hand you pop down to your local supermarket to do your weekly shop (I honestly think some people are going down every day to shop to have some sort of social life) and God forbid you get the virus Are you telling me it would be easier there to trace your contacts, don't think it would so get real about this, The virus doesn't know you are on essential business (to shop)or leisure time to play golf or Tennis or Cricket..Not just Golf is stopped
    I'll explain it for you then. You keep people to their own locality and if there's a community outbreak, that's where it stays. You allow people to move from locality to locality and then you have a much wider outbreak. It's really quite simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Golfhead65 wrote: »

You dont *have* to play golf.
    You do "have" to buy food.

How are we still at the point of having to explain this?!

I will have a go then. But bear in mind this is all theoretical anyway. There'll be no golf until restrictions are being eased. And maybe then we'll get some golf back. Nobody is talking about flaunting the restrictions.

People are saying that me driving to the golf course is a risk. But when you drive to your golf course you drive in your own car from your driveway to your club. You don't meet anyone, You don't touch anything. You sit in your metal box with no outside contact whatsoever. In my case and I know not everyone is that lucky my golf club is actually in my locality. Strictly speaking I could play as part of my 2km radius exercise.

So people say but you need petrol. So I say I need petrol anyway. Ok I might it need a tad sooner, but we're talking fractions of risk as opposed to risk now. And if it was unsafe to get petrol what are we all doing still getting petrol in the first place?

People also say I might have an accident. But now we're talking fractions of fractions.

Between this and the fact that our lockdown isn't actually a quarantine - its more like a risk management thing, plenty of people in and on the streets in town still - I think drivingyour car from your home to your solitary outdoor activity isn't really hurting anything.

God no

I will have a go then. But bear in mind this is all theoretical anyway. There'll be no golf until restrictions are being eased. And maybe then we'll get some golf back. Nobody is talking about flaunting the restrictions.

People are saying that me driving to the golf course is a risk. But when you drive to your golf course you drive in your own car from your driveway to your club. You don't meet anyone, You don't touch anything. You sit in your metal box with no outside contact whatsoever. In my case and I know not everyone is that lucky my golf club is actually in my locality. Strictly speaking I could play as part of my 2km radius exercise.

So people say but you need petrol. So I say I need petrol anyway. Ok I might it need a tad sooner, but we're talking fractions of risk as opposed to risk now. And if it was unsafe to get petrol what are we all doing still getting petrol in the first place?

People also say I might have an accident. But now we're talking fractions of fractions.

Between this and the fact that our lockdown isn't actually a quarantine - its more like a risk management thing, plenty of people in and on the streets in town still - I think drivingyour car from your home to your solitary outdoor activity isn't really hurting anything.
    You're thinking individually in the face of a global problem. Everybody has a special case. The same as the people who were 'special' enough to head to their holiday homes in Kerry/Courtown/Arklow for Easter.

You allow everybody to play golf now and everybody will go play golf. And everybody doesn't live within 2Km of their golf course. There are no special cases. I am quite sure that there are many members of your golf club that live a lot farther away than 2Km.

But while there is that distinction it doesn't actually feel terribly serious. People doing shopping more or less in a normal fashion. Forgot the cat food? Not a bother, go back. I'l nip into the news agent for cigarettes also. The pound shop manages to stay open 'cos he sells tins of dog food now.

If all these things are still ok people will rightly ask themselves why is it not OK for me to drive to the beach then where in fact I don't come in contact with anyone?

You may despair over this. You seem very much a black or white kind of guy but thats what people will ask themselves.

• Advertisement

You're thinking individually in the face of a global problem. Everybody has a special case. The same as the people who were 'special' enough to head to their holiday homes in Kerry/Courtown/Arklow for Easter.

You allow everybody to play golf now and everybody will go play golf. And everybody doesn't live within 2Km of their golf course. There are no special cases. I am quite sure that there are many members of your golf club that live a lot farther away than 2Km.

I am and I amnt. I'd say most guys drive to their golf club in their car by themselves. All the guys I know and play with do. And whether its 2 km or 15 km doesn't really make a difference. Still sitting on my own in my metal box.

I am and I amnt. I'd say most guys drive to their golf club in their car by themselves. All the guys I know and play with do. And whether its 2 km or 15 km doesn't really make a difference. Still sitting on my own in my metal box.
    And those guys never get out of their 'metal boxes' on the way there or the way home? Perhaps you need to read my post again on why community lockdowns are necessary and work? And maybe those guys live with frontline workers and are potentially exposed every day?

And those guys never get out of their 'metal boxes' on the way there or the way home? Perhaps you need to read my post again on why community lockdowns are necessary and work? And maybe those guys live with frontline workers and are potentially exposed every day?

Maybe.
    Or maybe if they're smart enough to follow the current rules they would also be smart enough not to stop for a can of coke on the way if you told them not to.

Btw, now you're the one getting into special cases.

Maybe.
    Or maybe if they're smart enough to follow the current rules they would also be smart enough not to stop for a can of coke on the way if you told them not to.
    Like the people heading away at Easter? That kind of smart?
    Btw, now you're the one getting into special cases.
    Haviing frontline workers in your household isn't a special case. I have two in mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The scientific evidence is there all along. We know already how it transmits and how it doesn't and how we prevent transmission. What scientific evidence do you expect? A field study carried out on the golf course over a number of months?

I said it before and I'm probably going to be told off again. Outdoor activities with distancing, for example the way we played before the lockdown 2.0, will be perfectly safe.

Even if there was a freak transmission on a golf course or on a nature walkway or on the beach still possible; its going to be that, a freak outlier. Its not going to happen in the numbers that threaten our 'curve'.

I am missing the golf as well.

Just one question - is it not possible to contract the virus from hard surfaces? So surely you could contract it from inside the cup or even off the flagstick?

On a busy Saturday you could have 18 flagsticks coming in contact with 100's of golfers. If my science is wrong please let me know but everyone playing would be touching such items.

Wearing gloves will not matter either?

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I am missing the golf as well.

Just one question - is it not possible to contract the virus from hard surfaces? So surely you could contract it from inside the cup or even off the flagstick?

On a busy Saturday you could have 18 flagsticks coming in contact with 100's of golfers. If my science is wrong please let me know but everyone playing would be touching such items.

Wearing gloves will not matter either?

Ah stop. Especially now it would be fantastic to forget about all that crap for a few hours.

From what I hear most clubs had pretty solid ideas about safe golf. My club was fairly spot on, see link

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113167525&postcount=505

Like the people heading away at Easter? That kind of smart?

You always gonna have those people you just can't reach. Always and in all aspects of life. You're not going to stop them unless you put the army on the streets. They are the people who will climb the fence and play golf now. I don't think you can bring those people into the argument.
    Haviing frontline workers in your household isn't a special case. I have two in mine.

Which is your special case. You are literally doing what you accused me of 5 posts ago. You are taking your personal circumstances and you project them onto the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

For those arguing against calamari- if the restrictions are lifted after the May bank holiday and golf is allowed, will you play?

Ah stop. Especially now it would be fantastic to forget about all that crap for a few hours.

From what I hear most clubs had pretty solid ideas about safe golf. My club was fairly spot on, see link

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113167525&postcount=505

I had not even thought about bunker raking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

I think quite a lot of what you're saying Calamari appears very emotive and uninformed. There's very little in what you have said thus far that shows an understanding of why allowing golf to be played is safe and above all else a value add.

In the current predicament, measures should be taken in order to increase the chance that the most people can get through this as safely ad possible while also allowing some semblance of social and economic normality.

You seem to have little understanding of the sentiment behind the measures while focusing on the specific redlines which have been drawn.

We know you want to play golf but there's little in anything you have said that would make anyone want to follow your lead.

• Advertisement

I don't follow what you're saying. Are you saying when the restrictions are being eased there still should be no golf or similar activity allowed?

Anything that gives us a resemblance or even an inkling of normality is a value add.

And of course I focus on certain red lines. This is the golf forum after all and the impact on golf clubs thread.

lettuce97 wrote: »
    For those arguing against calamari- if the restrictions are lifted after the May bank holiday and golf is allowed, will you play?

It is a hypothetical question. But given we are none the wiser on the transfer of the virus via flagsticks, the cup and rakes etc, I would genuinely have reservations.

I am not arguing against Calamari either, I could murder a few holes of golf, but … etc.

Anything that gives us a resemblance or even an inkling of normality is a value add.

Oh so your logic is that semblance of normality trumps people's safety?

Additional safety is the ultimate value add.

Oh so your logic is that semblance of normality trumps people's safety?.

Thats a bit of a leap. The way you came across so far I didn't think you'd come out with something like that.
    Additional safety is the ultimate value add.

Remember we are talking about what's going to happen when restrictions ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

lettuce97 wrote: »

I've not argued against Calamari (or even commented in here i think) but I agree with the current lockdown & no golf. I'm mad to play & when the powers that be say it's ok to get out again I'll be straight back playing.

everyone seems to concentrate on "I wont catch the virus golfing" & they're probably right... & yes shopping is probably more dangerous

the reason I'm ok with the no golf at present is because there will always be a freak accident: car crash on the way, golf ball hitting someone, twist a knee or an ankle & our hospitals are under enough pressure than having to deal with any extra patients that were in avoidable accidents if they just stayed at home.

& I know for sure I don't want to visit a hospital dealing with all the covid19 cases.

yes it's improbable you'll crash or get hit or take a fall... but it's not impossible & the little thing being asked of us to help out is to stay at home... & people are moaning. yes it's frustrating... but it will end

Thats a bit of a leap. The way you came across so far I didn't think you'd come out with something like that.

Remember we are talking about what's going to happen when restrictions ease.

As I said, I think you have demonstrated a very myopic understanding of the situation.

You haven't given a decent rationale why golf should be back on the agenda during the next review.

Any changes that are made should be changed with everyone in mind.

If they believe all sports should remain off the table then that seems fine to me.
    Again it's less about specific sport and more about the sentiment.

You always gonna have those people you just can't reach. Always and in all aspects of life. You're not going to stop them unless you put the army on the streets. They are the people who will climb the fence and play golf now. I don't think you can bring those people into the argument.
    It's not a few. It's thousands. Arklow was mobbed last weekend and so was Kerry. Galway too. People were driving down in the middle of the night to avoid the cops. And they had been pulling them in by the dozen on the N11 on Thursday evening. You think people are going to not stop for petrol or a can of coke on the way to the golf course? Because you think so?
    Which is your special case. You are literally doing what you accused me of 5 posts ago. You are taking your personal circumstances and you project them onto the masses.
    It's not my special case. Its the case with tens of thousands of households around the country. You were talking about your proximity to your golf club. There's a difference of infinite scale between the two. Don't try and argue otherwise, it's just stupid.

I'll explain it for you then. You keep people to their own locality and if there's a community outbreak, that's where it stays. You allow people to move from locality to locality and then you have a much wider outbreak. It's really quite simple.

That's the perfect senario not reality, for that to work perfectly NOBODY AT ALL moves outside their locality, That's not feasible

As I said, I think you have demonstrated a very myopic understanding of the situation.

You haven't given a decent rationale why golf should be back on the agenda during the next review.

Any changes that are made should be changed with everyone in mind.

If they believe all sports should remain off the table then that seems fine to me.
    Again it's less about specific sport and more about the sentiment.

I'm sure thats exactly what's going to happen. Expert panels will decide what can be done and what not.

I'm not sure how I ended up in the position of having to give a rationale and why is it myopic? What you expect me to say? I care and think about a lot of things but this is the golf impact thread on the golf board.

Surely there is sports and there is sports. You can hardly put rugby/soccer/gaelic and golf in the same boat when it comes to possible exchange of bodily fluids.

Sentiment I get. I didnt get it first, I'm that kind of guy apparently, but I do get it. But it will only carry us so far. If you think we will be 'allowed' to live in lockdown 'under the curve' until all is good again only thinking of humanitarian aspects think again. The country would be a wasteland if we did that. The ultimate and most pressing goal is a return to normality whichever way possible. And hopefully it will make a little golf possible again too.

• Advertisement

As usual The patron saint of all that is good and proper has a say...NOTE : Virus DOES NOT care if you have to get food which is most likely place to catch it in the overrun supermarkets from what I've seen or have to play golf, tennis, cricket bowls or whatever your chosen sport is, you will get it most likely indoors with congregation of people..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement